• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT| Not a thread about Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

You guys can't be that gullible can you?

Depending on how many times he's been banned before, he can, from what I've read on GAF at least, be permabanned for such a seemingly minor offence. I'm not sure why I'd be considered gullible for simply asking a question about it.

Omni

Finally bit the bullet and preordered an Xbox One today. Put Forza 5 and BF4 beside it.

Figure I'll get a PS4 early next year once decent titles come out (nothing at launch that interests me on the PS4. Don't want to miss out in titles down the line though
like how I'm missing the last of us because I don't have a ps3.
. No doubt after a year or so 3rd party titles will run better on it too being 40% more powerful or whatever.

Madness

Stinkles, that Spartan Assault music works ten times better than the music for Halo 4. Use that type of music, add the monks in to the menus, and maybe have the warthog run music somewhere in the game. You can rework it a bit if need be.

TCKaos

That feel when that has Halo theme bits in it.

343, use this guy more.

Kaos, what's your friend code? I'll play AC with you.

Streaming that OG Gamecube Animal Crossing. I don't have the dosh for a 3DS yet. I wanted the poptart but I figured I needed to pay for tuition this semester first.

Mix

Cross posting from the Destiny thread because I hyped myself up with it :3

Ok cool thanks for that. I really hope there is some big open space environment. Would really than be everything I have wanted. Imagine having your own ship, and pilot it to Saturn would be the most breathtaking thing ever created.

Take that a step further even. You leave the tower to go out on a hunting mission; you're out for some coveted loot. You fly through space destroying Fallen and Cabal spaceships and finally arrive at Venus. You fight off a couple of encounters with the Vex and finally get your loot. Then, as you're leaving your city-gone-ruin-dungeon you run into a public even where the super Vex boss is destroying and wrecking on other players. You decide to go help and score even bigger loot and Glimmer (Destiny currency) that could last you a month. After this public event, you feel inclined to go hit up some PvP matches, so you leave Venus, fight some more enemies in SPAAAAAAACE and arrive at your favorite arena on Mercury. you go a couple of rounds against other Guardians looking to have some fun and then, after playing so much that your friends get home from work or school, they join you and you go do a couple of story missions. Destiny looks to offer all of the aforementioned and more and I cannot wait to see how Bungie handles this game.

Streaming that OG Gamecube Animal Crossing. I don't have the dosh for a 3DS yet. I wanted the poptart but I figured I needed to pay for tuition this semester first.

You could've bought the poptart and flipped it to pay for your tuition

I'm gonna pay for my future kid's tuition with my sealed Xenoblade

I didn't get a PM lol Did you send it to the wrong person?

I sent another like 4 minutes ago, check again? :p

V8N2UKy.png

Why are you guys ordering games for next-gen? Just download the game when you get the console.

I'm already going to be at the store to pick up the Xbox One, might as well pick up some games.

Nebula

Why are you guys orders games for next-gen? Just download the game when you get the console.

From what I've heard about Microsoft, it has tools to prevent hacked/leaked games being played before a games release date, which means you can't play a game if you preorder and get it early.

Also with the move towards digital, how will preorder bonuses be worked out? Do you lose out because you chose the digital option?

Omni

Spartan Assault music is... I dunno. We've already heard in a few gameplay videos that the tracks sound awesome and very faithful. That main theme on sound cloud though, is well... boring. I mean, it's missing that spark. I listen to that and I'm just waiting for it to pick up into something epic - but it never happens. They just get progressively higher in pitch and it never really climaxes. And the slow piano keys in the second half don't work at all, IMO.

I prefer physical media in every situation. Although for Xbone, I'm not sure why anyone would need physical media seeing as its useless after you install the disc to the hard drive. I guess it saves time.

Nebula

I prefer physical media in every situation. Although for Xbone, I'm not sure why anyone would need physical media seeing as its useless after you install the disc to the hard drive. I guess it saves time.

Time to start framing them games or something. Might as well use them somewhere.

Tawpgun

Fuck discs.

Physical media is why I can't play the Halo 3 DLC anymore (mythic disc got messed up)
Don't wanna deal with the shit. Day 1 downloads on both consoles hell yes.

But interesting point on the preorder exclusives...

Omni

Physical media is great for when you live in the bottom of Australia with shoddy Internet and a 15gb/month bandwidth allowance (which includes uploads and downloads)

Like mee.

fml

TCKaos

Fuck discs.

Physical media is why I can't play the Halo 3 DLC anymore (mythic disc got messed up)
Don't wanna deal with the shit. Day 1 downloads on both consoles hell yes.

But interesting point on the preorder exclusives...

You can preorder DLC from Gamestop by preordering the codes. You got the flaming ODST helmet avatar thing for preordering the Noble map pack, I don't see why you couldn't just do that with games. "Here's your game download key, here's your exclusive DLC key."

Physical media is great for when you live in the bottom of Australia with shoddy Internet and a 15gb/month bandwidth allowance (which includes uploads and downloads)

Like mee.

fml

America sends their regards

Those of you with PS3's apparently the new update can brick your system. So, don't.

Saw some quality jokes today about the Xbox only working when connected and the Playstation not working when connected.

Those of you with PS3's apparently the new update can brick your system. So, don't.

Seems like the users having problems all have a custom hard drive larger than 500GB and a PS3 Slim. I updated mine before the problem was discovered and luckily didn't have any problems. It's pretty crazy, I wonder what Sony's going to do to correct it.

edit: bricked ps3's have the same functionality as an unconnected Xbox

Like mee.

fml

What ISP you with mate, go iiNet if you can. Solid caps approx. 100-200GB p.m. and use their toolbox to set your connection to "thrill seeker" specifically designed for gaming.

Also check when your area gets optic fibre NBN.

Booties

Banned
Who here is playing last of us? I am waiting for kyle to send it to me when he beats it. i think my PSN id is Dr Booties, I haven't played ps3 since before reach came out though.

Madness

What real benefits do digital downloads provide aside from the convenience of not going to the store or having to swap discs?

I either hit up midnight launches where I get free food, prizes and get to play the game early, or I have Amazon ship to my house etc.

I like 'collecting' the games as dumb as that sounds. It's been a habit since 91, I still have the boxes, manuals, sometimes even receipts of consoles and games I bought. Same goes DVD and Blu-ray with slipcovers etc. I like having them.

I'd still like to see if they can handle millions of downloads of an AAA game right at launch. The next gen games all use 50 gb dual-layer discs.

Also, welcome back Booties.

What real benefits do digital downloads provide aside from the convenience of not going to the store or having to swap discs?

I either hit up midnight launches where I get free food, prizes and get to play the game early, or I have Amazon ship to my house etc.

I like 'collecting' the games as dumb as that sounds. It's been a habit since 91, I still have the boxes, manuals, sometimes even receipts of consoles and games I bought. Same goes DVD and Blu-ray with slipcovers etc. I like having them.

I'd still like to see if they can handle millions of downloads of an AAA game right at launch. The next gen games all use 50 gb dual-layer discs.

Also, welcome back Booties.

When you talk about a complete switch to digital these benefits:

1. Lower cost per unit, lower consumer price
2. No retail middle men margins
3. No disc manufacturing or artwork
4. Increased development time
5. Bug fixes right up to the minute of launch
6. Streaming video or audio doesn't have to be on the disc
7. No printed manuals/cost
8. Easier localisation
9. More money directly into developers
10. Changing regions

In a simple Halo example the terminals likely would have been in game at launch without the need for gold discs earlier than the launch.

IHaveIce

Banned
Who here is playing last of us? I am waiting for kyle to send it to me when he beats it. i think my PSN id is Dr Booties, I haven't played ps3 since before reach came out though.

I play or played it, great game with some technical flaws. Played 1 MP match, never gonna touch it again.

Madness

When you talk about a complete switch to digital these benefits:

1. Lower cost per unit, lower consumer price
2. No retail middle men margins
3. No disc manufacturing or artwork
4. Increased development time
5. Bug fixes right up to the minute of launch
6. Streaming video or audio doesn't have to be on the disc
7. No printed manuals/cost
8. Easier localisation
9. More money directly into developers
10. Changing regions

In a simple Halo example the terminals likely would have been in game at launch without the need for gold discs earlier than the launch.

Those are primarily benefits for developers though. How does it benefit the consumer if they don't have to make art books or not have middle men etc.

I'm thinking from the mindset of a gamer/consumer. I honestly don't believe they'd ever pass the savings down to the gamer. I mean if you take all that you said into account, digital games/downloads should be like $30 or less than consoles.

Those are primarily benefits for developers though. How does it benefit the consumer if they don't have to make art books or not have middle men etc.

I'm thinking from the mindset of a gamer/consumer. I honestly don't believe they'd ever pass the savings down to the gamer. I mean if you take all that you said into account, digital games/downloads should be like $30 or less than consoles.

New games will probably always cost $60, but price reduction over time and sales can be a lot better for the consumer. Without the middle man in there, there is a lot more wiggle room with price.

Exactly why Steam can discount the way they do. X1 digital will hopefully be a driver of lower consumer prices and more money for developers. Fingers crossed.

Normal games retail supply chain is:

Publisher/developer
Licensing/MS
Distributor
Wholesaler (not so present anymore)
Retailer

By cutting out manufacturing and two middle margin men with distributors and retailers they save approx. 50% or more in costs/markup.

Omni

I was thinking about this earlier today, and is anyone else kinda worried about 60fps Halo 5 in regards to visuals?

Let me get this out first however. I think that 60fps is great. Everything looks so much better; the gameplay feels much snappier and responsive; and you can even pan your camera across the screen properly without seeing the sluggishness!

But obviously that comes at a rather big cost. You're effectively doubling the amount of work that your console is doing (or if you want, halving the bandwidth available each frame). And that in turn, means that they can't exactly push graphics as hard as they've been doing in the past. I really can't imagine the jump from Halo 4 to 5 to be as big as it has been in the past between sequels. I dunno. I really don't want a Call of Duty: Ghosts* on our hands, just so they can market the whole "60fps ohmergawd!!!!!!!!!!!" thing. Worst case scenario on our hands is that we get a higher res Halo 4 with a faster framerate... and to be awfully frank, that game looks like shit.

I always liked Bungie's mentality of really fleshing out the details. Whether it's the water, foliage, skyboxes or lighting, they always pushed the system to the limit. And it really shows again with Destiny (also confirmed to be locked 30fps).

I fear that with the next Halo, 343i are going to sacrifice the details just to push out 60fps - It's not like the Xbox One is a powerhouse. And that might be good news to some of you guys, but it's really disappointing for me as someone who loves the details the artists put into maps. I love interactive water. I love duel buffer HDR lighting. I love physics and the fact that a lot of things in Halo aren't static like they are in CoD. I like big open environments and not being confined to small corridors just so they can maintain a 60fps framerate. I love backgrounds that aren't static .jpgs.

It's early days, but I really do hope that they don't disappoint.

and by that I mean look at each CoD game and notice how little they change visually because they're forced to keep that high framerate. Ghosts looks like a current gen title.

IHaveIce

Banned
I was thinking about this earlier today, and is anyone else kinda worried about 60fps Halo 5 in regards to visuals?

I fear that with the next Halo, 343i are going to sacrifice the details just to push out 60fps - .

To the first : NO.

Second: God I hope so. At least for multiplayer the game has to run that smooth.

Campaign they could easily amp up the graphics in cutscenes.

Edit: you think 60fps is done because attracting more CoD players? What is this shit. Shooter, Fighter and Race games should be 60 fps at all costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom