• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY OUTRUN!!!!!!!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
happy-birthday-cake-in-happy-birthday-cake.jpg

16030201.jpg

outrun_x.gif

outrun16.gif

q1wsB_.gif

Today is OutRun's 30th Birthday!!!!!! I am celebrating by playing the shit out of it via CannonBall:

http://reassembler.blogspot.com/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

I came here to commemorate this game's classic and iconic legacy, and to also plug Mr. Thunderwing's video!

To celebrate the anniversary, Mr. Thunderwing has done a video discussing the history behind this classic series and goes through literally every version of the game, followed by discussing the "sequels" and spinoffs , then proceeds to cap it off by marvelously summarizing OutRun 2/2K6 and what it meant for fans. It's one of those videos I've watched three times already and one of the few YT vids that's permanently staying on my HDD forever. Superb Job mate!
drinking08.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ0462V9cao

As for my personal thoughts on the game, what else can be said? It's a classic and a masterpiece. Like Howard said in the BYOAC forums, I too was mesmerized by the game and it blew my 13yr old mind when I first laid eyes on it at the local arcade in 1986.

I was 13, in junior highschool, and I remember pump what little amount of quarters I had into the arcade cab at the local laundry mat. Then my mom bought me a Sega Master System for Christmas that year and Outrun was the very first home console racing game I ever played (*BESIDES* Night Driver for the 2600, which is borderline trash in comparison lol.) Anyway, I played the SMS version for hours upon hours every day. Played it so much I got bored of the music and started listening to my own(playing "How Soon Is Now" by the Smiths over and over again while playing Outrun brings back so many memories!).

I went on to buy the game for several more systems including the Genesis, the Amiga 500, the Game Gear, and the Japanese 60fps Saturn version. Also like Howard and many others, I wasn't impressed with 2019 or Turbo OutRun, but I did love OutRunners. The graphical style was quite charming for its time and it's an underrated game IMHO.

Outrun 2 is where things really got bananas for me though. I couldn't believe after so many years we got a true sequel, with beautiful 3D graphics, great remixed tunes and a helluva fun drifting system. Suffice it to say, I bought damn near every version of the game even the Japanese PS2 one. Pumped hundreds of hours into the OG Xbox version and have fond memories of playing online with a bunch of cool people(shout out to Virtua Racing aka Red Scorpion, SPENCE, Eagle 13, AM2 Model3 and bunch of others).

On a side note, after what seemed like hours of tinkering around, I finally got Cannonball to work with my steering wheel and pedals! If you guys aren't familiar with Cannonball, it is essentially a program that allows you to run the original Outrun game, but with all kinds of cool enhancements and additions, including force feedback, higher resolution, widescreen support, a track editor, scanline support, custom soundtrack support, bumper cam view, and more! This is the *ONLY* version of the game that actually incorporates and 100% mimics the force feedback effects as the arcade. Suffice it to say the FFB effects feel FANTASTIC in Cannonball!!! Alex has done a SUPERB job with it!!!
drinking08.gif
bow2.gif
drinking08.gif
bow2.gif
Using my Bodnar wheel at only 25% strength it is still a serious workout!!! This is the first time I truly feel like I am literally playing the arcade cabinet in my house!!!!

Well, hope you OutRun fans will commemorate the anniversary by playing the game some time day. I'll be enjoying the game while reminiscing about the good 'ole days :)

I raise my glass and give a toast to Yu Suzuki!!! Thanks for creating this iconic and amazing racing game. It's thanks to him I've become the racing game fan that I am! Bring on Outrun 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woah. I still play this game regularly, which is testament to how timeless the game design is. Still quite a looker too - the super scaler powered visuals still impress today. Moreso on the 3DS version.

I hope 3D Out Run is still on sale, Sega!

wispsmoke

Neo Member
OutRun really holds up. Still haven't cleared every path. Maybe I should go back, dust off the rust, and get a few more victory screens. Hail to the king!

Legitimately one of the best games I've ever played. Finely balanced, perfectly paced, aesthetically slick, endlessly replayable. Yu Suzuki is a god.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
By the way I recently picked up the original wheels for both OutRun 1986 and OutRun 2 and will be using both of them on my Bodnar wheel. The Outrun 2 wheel is currently with Sam Maxwell. He's putting a quick release on it :)

jlFvzhc4wCSJQ-B7BPZVn28tPKTgJR3MyXeOVNaMUzHCdtPOrjtXI_pjBntsROQ4pyLHMMJyi_cyLLw=w1024-h648

AmyS

This is what I wanted to contribute. When OUTRUN was 10 years old, for the 1996 SEGA AGES Saturn version, some notes by Hiro AM2:

d9FFIMd.jpg

"Makes you feel sorrowful and the atmosphere"

"The end of summer"

GAF, it's the end of summer...

Happy 30th Birthday OUTRUN.

Piers

I don't even need an actual Outrun sequel, but just a successor. There's something about reaching checkpoints and junctions that open-world driving games can't replicate.

score01

Outrun is a timeless classic. Really enjoyed the HD version on PS3. Hope for more outrun goodness in the future.

Tizoc

+1 for Magical Sound Shower.

I don't even need an actual Outrun sequel, but just a successor. There's something about reaching checkpoints and junctions that open-world driving games can't replicate.

Just let Sumo collaborate with whatever's left of SEGA's old Arcade racer dev. people and make the ultimate SEGA racing game.

As far as I remember I only played the Amiga 500 version, and I really enjoyed that.

Is there anyway to play these nowadays outside of say buying a copy of one of the original games?

"Just let Sumo collaborate with whatever's left of SEGA's old Arcade racer dev. people and make the ultimate SEGA racing game."

Straight up, I'd be happy with just the old Outrun games remade with current gen graphics.

Handy Fake

I've still got a promotional cassette tape from the front of a (Spectrum? C64?) magazine somewhere with all of the Outrun music on it...

My favorite Sega series of all time. It's always been a dream of mine to own the cabinet for it someday.

Just let Sumo collaborate with whatever's left of SEGA's old Arcade racer dev. people and make the ultimate SEGA racing game.

That would be great.

Accoun

Your pseudo-3d graphics sadly make me dizzy, but I can greatly appreciate the style and the fact that without you there would be no Outrun 2.

So, happy birthday!

Woah, holy shit, I had no idea. Happy birthday to one of SEGA's best. To be honest, thanks to the 3DS version, I prefer this to Outrun 2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I could tell from the exclamation marks in the title that it would be an Isamu thread :)

Had a sit down version in the local arcade and loved it. Super hang-on was the first time I saw the hilly road technique and it honestly seemed like magic at the time. Outrun then amped everything up with insane numbers of roadside objects and that sublime sprite scaling

gelf

Adore the series. Outrun 2006 is still the best driving game I've ever played and it looks unlikely anything will ever replace it in my affection now.

And I'm a Splash Wave man.

StayDead

Amazing game, still play Outrun 3D and really looking forward to Turbo Outrun 3D in the Sega Classics collection in December!

Ivan

Happy birthday to the most iconic racing game ever!

So many memories just by looking at that OutRun logo and red Testarossa.

What a legend...

muteki

Was enjoying some Magical Sound Shower in Future Tone not too long ago, and many memories of Outrun from way back when.

djlr181

I became addicted to Out Run about 10 years ago playing the Saturn version of the game. There's a magic in Sega's racing titles and Out Run is arguably the best of the bunch. The Deluxe Moving Cabinet version is amazing. Hope Sega will someday deliver a Out Run 3. The director of Out Run 2 is still at Sega so maybe there's a chance.

Top Bottom