• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY OUTRUN!!!!!!!!!!

Chiramii

I've been meaning to buy the 3DS version for a while now and I have fond memories of playing the arcade version down at the mall every now and then as a kid. Happy birthday!

I have no idea what happened to my copy of this. Would be interested to know if it works with Win 10 though, as I'd probably just buy another copy for safe keeping.

I remember it was pretty broken for multiplayer though (only played it LAN, so not sure about online). You could often end up with two players taking completely separate routes.

The Steam version ran okay but too fast, probably need to turn G-Sync off if you have it. Didn't try toggling it back and forth to see if that was actually the problem.

The CD/DVD release is probably the best option as the FXT mod works with it...look at all those additions...

Step On Beat alone justifies the Genesis version's existence. If only it made it to later versions.

Ramune

HBD Outrun! THE game that made sure video games would be more than a passing interest for me. I wanted a Genesis not just for "OMG SO CLOSE TO THE ARCADE" Strider, but Outrun looked pretty faithful too (going by those posters you got inside new Genesis games back then).

Think I'll play the Saturn version when I get home to celebrate. And Passing Breeze is Outrun for me, since I didn't know you could change the music back then, and it reminded me of Love Connection's theme for some reason.

cooldawn

This is the game that started my videogame journey. To me it was my Crockett and Tubbs' Miami Vice.

Such a good game and still the very best of it's time. It'll be a game I will never forget.

ascii42

Mine's not in perfect shape, but still works. Have issues with the gas pedal. I think I need to swap out the potentiometer. Also probably need to re-cap the monitor.

Zc3uKFah.jpg

The local Pizza Hut had one of these when I was a kid. Also had Galaga, another game I adore to this day.

Synth

The Steam version ran okay but too fast, probably need to turn G-Sync off if you have it. Didn't try toggling it back and forth to see if that was actually the problem.

The CD/DVD release is probably the best option as the FXT mod works with it...look at all those additions...

Step On Beat alone justifies the Genesis version's existence. If only it made it to later versions.

Sounds good. The CD/DVD release is kinda the only option at this point though. :p

SpotAnime

To think this is 30 years old is one thing, but to realize I was driving age when it was first released is entirely something else. I'm fucking old.

Happy birthday, Outrun.

ghibli99

Goddamn... 30 years. Still remember playing this a ton in arcades back in junior high. I still play the M2 3D version on 3DS. It's one of those games that will still be fun to play another 30 years from now. Everything about it is timeless.

The OG Xbox and 360 installments of OR2 are all-time favorites as well. Can't believe how great and faithful they are.

I love everything about this game, the music, the blue skies, the relaxing atmosphere... Makes me think of a time when everything was (supposedly) better. Happy Birthday Out Run!

Lego Boss

Until about 10 years ago the bus station in Krakow had one of these sitting in the main hall.

Then, when they refurbished and gentrified the area it went.

I haven't seen one since.

This and Strider are my fave arcade games of all time.

Thank God for Playground Games keeping the blue skies alive with Forza Horizon 3.

Love you Say-Gah!!!

gelf

Greenlight Outrun 3 without Ferrari, and make the Ferrari stuff free DLC... because I swear if we have to go through the delisting shit again I will lose it.
Yeah forget the Ferrari licence. Outrun never needed it, any generic none infringing sports cars would do for any new releases. I don't want Sega going near licenced properties again, by and large most of the delisted games didn't need it.

How about we all celebrate by playing this at 60fps on your PC right now (providing you have the Rom of course) :
https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki
6BqFtL9.png

From the developer:
http://reassembler.blogspot.jp/

OutRun turns 30 this year, and what better way to celebrate its legacy than with the release of Alex Bartholomeus' OutRun Software Development Kit (SDK).

The SDK allows you to compile C and C++ code to target the original OutRun hardware. The package includes:

A fully working GCC C cross compiler
A mostly working GCC C++ cross compiler (with a large memory footprint)
Shared library code including input handling, palette setup, tilemap rendering, sprites, text display and even menu functionality.
Example programs
An optional bootloader. If you don't want to program EPROMs each time, you can build a nifty interface to send your code directly to the original hardware.

Here are some example programs that Alex has coded to demonstrate what you can easily achieve. The source code to these programs is included in the package.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I wish I could play a working sit-down cab just once. Anyone in the Pacific Northwest wanna invite me over to try it out or know of an arcade that has one? ;_;

Happy Birthday to the best driving game ever! I Hope we get a port of Outrunners sometime in the next few years.

Yeah, it's a real shame we never got 1:1 port of OutRunners on any console. :(

Yeah forget the Ferrari licence. Outrun never needed it, any generic none infringing sports cars would do for any new releases. I don't want Sega going near licenced properties again, by and large most of the delisted games didn't need it.

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand if they were to release an OutRun game without the Ferrari license I guarantee you'd have a WHOLE bunch people coming on here complaining that it aint OR unless it's got Ferrari in it.

How about we all celebrate by playing this at 60fps on your PC right now (providing you have the Rom of course) :
https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki
6BqFtL9.png

From the developer:
http://reassembler.blogspot.jp/

8-Bit knows wassup! :)

Soulstar

One of my favorite games of all time.

It's a bit embarrassing but one of the things on my bucket is just go on a road trip in a red Ferrari while playing the music from Outrun.

Ramune

One of my favorite games of all time.

It's a bit embarrassing but one of the things on my bucket is just go on a road trip in a red Ferrari while playing the music from Outrun.

My childhood dream was to have a red Ferrari with "OUTRUN" on the license plate >_>

Such a timeless game. This and Outrun 2 are easily my favorite arcade games. They just never get old. I'm glad I could play 2 in arcades at least twice.

Fuggin tell me about it. I'm still miffed I had to miss out on After Burner Climax because of this.

One of the greatest of all time. I've been rocking the 3DS version all day but I would kill to play it on a cabinet again. Someone needs to open a barcade in Toronto.

So many memories of being in the arcades playing this bad boy whilst listening to Passing Breeze...man, so good. Game hasn't aged a day either. Bought the 3DS version and it's still a wondrous thing to play. 3DS port is elite by the way, high recommend.

Outrun is one of the greatest video games of all time.

The 3DS version is awesome, but it really needs to be on all platforms. I wish Sega would get some of their classics on PS4, XB1, and Steam (at least Steam has a bunch of Genesis games). I really don't know what they're doing this generation.

petran79

Banned
I liked Outrun too. Though I also liked Hang-out arcade cab with motorcycle controller. Very underrated compared to Outrun.

Till I saw a Chase H.Q. cab. This is everything I wished in an arcade game. Made me forget Outrun

Outrun

I liked Outrun too. Though I also liked Hang-out arcade cab with motorcycle controller. Very underrated compared to Outrun.

Till I saw a Chase H.Q. cab. This is everything I wished in an arcade game. Made me forget Outrun

Did Chase HQ have a deluxe cabinet?

Congrats OutRun <3

Me, reliving the arcade wonder of OutRun this summer. So many, many years since I've even seen these cabinets around. I was at the GameOn2 expo in Norway, the best part being a dark and neonlit arcade room with lots of old classics. it was like being back in the early 90's again.

Great thread, and one of my favorite racing game series!

I started with the MSDOS version back in the 90s, rekindled my love with the Shenmue 2 Arcade version, was amazed by both Outrun 2 games on the Xbox and can testify that the 3DS version by M2 is ace.

Something about this just feels so much fun, so classic SEGA. Soundtrack gives me a nostalgic rush and this might be my favorite 80s Arcade game (next to Space Harrier).

Looking forward to potentially try out the other classic Outrun sequels when they are added to 3D classics.

Top Bottom