• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

1 hour and 4 minutes, I think. If I'm not rushing, it's usually an hour and 20-30 minutes, but I usually try to blow through the first few levels as fast as possible.

Game's long as hell. Though after playing for 30+ hours, I'm pretty sure I've got it memorized from start to finish by now.

Daigoro

fuck. nice work. kinda sucks that the DLC character has advantages, but whatever. certainly doesnt diminish the achievement. its just kind of shitty of them to do.

comparing this game to MS3 is high praise indeed. this topic has kind of gone from lukewarm on the game to hot shit over tha last few pages. makes me want to get a bit more hyped for it. i only played the demo for a few minutes.

kinda wanted to wait for a sale, but we'll see.

iconoclast said:
z1YXG.png

FUCK. YES.

One of the hardest motherfucking achievements I've ever gotten. What a god damn relief.
Congrats dude. An achievement truly deserving of the name.

Kimosabae said:
Seriously, when the hell is this going up on PSN?

. . .

There have been multiple mentions of it being a month delay. Unconfirmed, which have been posted numerous times in this thread already. It released on 360 in the middle of February, there are usually around 30ish days in a month.

So either you wait a month, or you wait for an official announcement from Konami.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff

any news on how much the DLC is running?

hopefully one 20 dollar card is enough for the game and characters

Foffy

Banned
Chopperman said:
Good stuff

any news on how much the DLC is running?

hopefully one 20 dollar card is enough for the game and characters

It should be. In terms of MS Points, it's 1200 for the game and 200 per character. That adds up to the price you pay for 1600 points ($20.00).

Foffy said:
It should be. In terms of MS Points, it's 1200 for the game and 200 per character. That adds up to the price you pay for 1600 points ($20.00).
Lets hope so. Another one of Arc System Works' games, BlazBlue Continuum Shift charged $1 more per DLC character on PSN than on XBLM.

Foffy

Banned
_dementia said:
Lets hope so. Another one of Arc System Works' games, BlazBlue Continuum Shift charged $1 more per DLC character on PSN than on XBLM.

Well, in the XBLA version, Harley and Sayuri are 200 points each. What does 400 points convert to in actual currency? I don't think the price difference will be too outrageous, even if the characters are already in the regular game when you download that..

Loving this game!

Some of the stages seem impossible. But after upgrading and some perseverance...and LOT'S OF PATIENCE!!!...it's not impossible.

I can't believe I beat some of these insane levels!

It's brutal. I think I died a lot at the very end even when I beat the boss and had to start over! ARRRRGH!!!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Foffy said:

ah ok cool thanks

bought the points card today and put it on and apparently I had money left over from before

22.25 so even if it is slightly over because of tax or something I should be ok

March 15th gonna be a good day. New run and gun and MvC3 characters

Spike6663

iconoclast said:
Sayuri. She's great because it's less risky (you don't lose a powerful weapon if you get hit) and she completely destroys most of the bosses.

I was using Bahamut for a while, and I came pretty close to clearing it with him, but I just said screw it and bought the Sayuri DLC. It's too frustrating losing a level 3 Machine Gun or a Chain Laser if you screw up somewhere.

Will you play co-op with me?! That's incredible!

Also, Stage 3 mid-boss is easiest in the game. Find the right point to lie down and all you have to do is switch tiers every now and then.

Another review for OP - http://www2.britxbox.co.uk/viewarticle.php?id=4196

Once this game comes out for PSN, I'm going to take all my existing games, put them neatly in a box and then THROW IT OFF A BRIDGE because all a man needs is Contra.

This game is designed to piss you off. Sure, they lull you into a false sense of security during the regular run and gun at the start and then they start cranking the frustration meter up.

There is so much trial and error to it as well as memory based patterns that it is designed to make you angry. It isn't pattern based patterns either where you have a chance of learning them because as soon as you get some level of comfort they throw away the rule book and do something else to drive you mad.

The game takes joy in trying to make you angry too. After you take out the four legged walking thing for the first time and they QTE you to jump off the bike out of no where I almost put my fist through the tv. It was designed you your attention was not on your character but on the worm.

I can almost hear the evil laughter of the designers every time they do shit like this. One of the good Contra games this is not.

Yes Boss!

Finally got to sit down and play this one. Holy fuck does it not play around. Did not even beat the first level.

Some real nice arcade action here.

Fantasmo

Wow! Awesome game from beginning to end! How is this topic only 10 pages?!

While I agree with Warm Machine about random patterns and the frustration resulting from not enough first run warning (you really have to memorize the game, as opposed to say, Contra 3, which gave you some time to react), I'm pretty sure that's why they included Rising Mode.

It really is a cakewalk once you're upgraded. 9 lives, 6 bars of health, extra continues after you beat a stage, level select, and eventually 532 continues and 30 lives. Not to mention each character has upgrades for starting a stage/continue fully equipped. The checkpoints aren't bad at all when you factor in these things. Not only that, but Bahamut has an upgrade for not losing a weapon unless you get knocked down, and invinicibility when you're on the upswing of you jump, talk about easy mode! Plus you can farm money on stage 1 and ESPECIALLY stage 5 since there doesn't seem to be a Negative Penalty there. Just double wrap a rubber band around the X button and walk away until the controller goes off, turn it back on and let it sit some more.

Side note: I'm not a high score freak, since I play for the chaos, but if they're going to include leaderboards, they should really tune up the time bonus and force a Negative penalty if you kill the same guy more than 3 times. But ONLY in Arcade mode. Farming is a GOOD option for beginners in Rising mode and probably the only reason I didn't walk away furious!

I've beat it with Bahamut and Krystal already, and I'm eager to do a no farming run with Sayuri and Harley right after, and I just bought it yesterday. Take away the farming and it'll take much longer.

Then once you've crushed Rising mode, you can tune down the upgrades to your liking, or tackle Arcade mode, and also conquer the achievements if you're a sadist! There's a One Life completion Achievement and also a No Weapon Items achievement.

Basically, you have options! And this makes me happy. I can play this game like a maniac and become really good, or I can play with someone less experienced just for fun in the future, and have a good time with it either way.

This definitely has both the heart and soul of Contra gameplay wise, with a definite nod to Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, and maybe some Metal Slug too. Not to mention the graphics are great, HD, and you can play online!

I know some people here are annoyed at the $20 entry fee, but this is one game where I feel I got value off the game and DLC, as opposed to shortchanged. The price is great for what you get.

Five big changes I'd make are:
1) make it so you can turn while prone, huge oversight
2) allow full auto and rapid fire in Arcade mode. I know Rising mode has both upgrades, but I think Arcade mode should have it too. Pounding on the fire button isn't fun anymore. I like the Contra 3 method, and I think the game should be designed around that.
3) that last QTE-like jump on the first stage that everyone talks about, the timing doesn't seem consistent compared to the one earlier in the stage, you really shouldn't have to direct it.
4) Record feature. Games like this should definitely have a theatre mode. Would be really cool to share a full run with your friends.

My personal favorite addition would be:
5) How about a Remix mode where you only get one life and maybe 3 continues, but a bigger health bar and you don't lose your weapon when you're hit?

Big nod to you Iconoclast, that one life achievement must have been stressful, especially the last few stages! Thumbs up!

Bring on some more DLC stages or full sequel soon ARC!

(Edited for clarity)

Spike6663 said:
Will you play co-op with me?! That's incredible!

Also, Stage 3 mid-boss is easiest in the game. Find the right point to lie down and all you have to do is switch tiers every now and then.

Another review for OP - http://www2.britxbox.co.uk/viewarticle.php?id=4196

Now that I've (almost) got my 200/200 on this, I think I need a looong break, heh.

And yeah, the safe spot on the stage 3 mid-boss helps a lot. By the time I find out about the it I already had the pattern down, but it makes it a lot easier to just lay there and mash X 50000 times.

There's a safe spot on the stage 8 mid-boss as well, and it reaaaally helps Sayuri. All you need to do is hang from the top platform and the ball won't roll you over.

Spike6663

I blasted through the stealth section without even trying to avoid the enemies. How did you handle it on your 1 credit run?

iconoclast said:
There's a safe spot on the stage 8 mid-boss as well, and it reaaaally helps Sayuri. All you need to do is hang from the top platform and the ball won't roll you over.

Son of a bitch.
I thought that fight was impossible to one-life with Sayuri.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
How do you avoid the enemies on that stage? I can't seem to stealth through it. I always get detected.
It's pretty easy as long as you don't shoot anyone.

Spike6663 said:
I blasted through the stealth section without even trying to avoid the enemies. How did you handle it on your 1 credit run?

I just sprint right through the stage to the mid-boss. There's a few health pick ups before you have to fight him, so even if you get hit once or twice it's not a big deal.

The hardest part of stage 5 is the boss, since if you're not positioned properly when you destroy the arms, the fireballs can be a pain to deal with.

Imho, this game can't hold a candle to any of the classic Contra games. Do not dare compare this to Metal Slug 3!

It's very, very average looking and playing. I expected a lot more from hand-drawn Arc Systems. The animation is ok, but the polygonal parts of the stage and overall art style is very bland and doesn't really pop out as anything cool. Coming from the team that did BlazeBlue I expected MUCH better. The backgrounds in CS are godly.

Overall I just found the stages to be boring. Contra is so much more intense than this. Also some of the boss designs are downright awful. The stage 2 boss has a really wimpy pattern, but he runs off the screen so you have to go chasing him down and it just drags on and on. Same with the jungle boss. Really easy pattern but the battle just drags. No other Contra game I played had such bland boss fights.

So pretty much that's how I sum this game up: Bland, uninspired, borring. Really let down, this game is not worthy of Contra series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
According to kassatsu, Hard Corps PSN will be out next week for $9.99

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Leviathan has been added as a playable character! 200 MSP (US shop Link)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Leviathan/42a2a8a4-12f6-42dd-bb19-9a4cd8792c9c

Description:
Bahamut’s defection to the Rebellion stunned everyone, no one more than his chief rival in the Empire’s army, Leviathan. Beneath the bitter rivalry was a deep respect, and so the questions gnawed at him: Why did he leave? How could he betray us? Why did he choose that path?
  • Base Attributes: Only one weapon slot
  • Available Attributes: Moonsault (backflip), Grenade Throw, Sliding Attack

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Is that the 3rd DLC character?

Aye. Some info on him from Gamefaqs Mboard:

Starts with 1 bar of health.
1 weapon slot.
Very invincible Moonsault and Slide. Can be jump cancelled.
Tosses grenades left and right on ground. 8 way toss in air. (Called "throw" in rising mode)
Jump might be higher, speed is fast.

Arpharmd B, I agree with you for the most part. I played Contra: Hard Corps on my Genny in anticipation of this game and when I bought this new title, I already felt the very clear difference of pace and design...and not in a good way. I think it's a pretty serviceable action/shooter game, but it does feel really sedate and fails to rev me up the way C: HC or III can. Perhaps it's an unfair comparison considering their decision to leave the Contra name out... For people who aren't exactly hardcore Contra fans or are in need of a good Contra-like game (especially for co-op), I don't think many are going to be too disappointed with Uprising, IMO. In fact, I think most will like it just fine if they can deal with the game's challenge level, which I think would be thought of as pretty high for first play.

RedSwirl said:
Hope to God. Loved the 360 demo but I can't deal with the full game on that D pad.

Yep.

Thank Zod it has fully customizable controls or I would have had to suffer massive indignity! D:

Is $9.99 the final price or is it a sale price?

$9.99 will make double dipping once PS3 price drops so much easier. :D

I can't make up my mind to get this game. I had a lot fun with the demo but looking at how konami handles dlc for castlvania:hd makes me not want to get this game.

Ryu bogard said:
I can't make up my mind to get this game. I had a lot fun with the demo but looking at how konami handles dlc for castlvania:hd makes me not want to get this game.

Different team, different game.

That said, even if you spend $20 total - it's just $20 for an amazing game.

Though I'm more than a little biased. :p

Top Bottom