• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

I'm at the last level ready to finish the game and I still can't manage to grab onto the helicopter for the second time in the first stage. I always over or under shoot it and lose a man.

Game is amazing though. My GotY so far. I know it's only Feb but it's the best game I've played this year.

Dark Octave said:
I'm at the last level ready to finish the game and I still can't manage to grab onto the helicopter for the second time in the first stage. I always over or under shoot it and lose a man.

Game is amazing though. My GotY so far. I know it's only Feb but it's the best game I've played this year.
After the jump you can control the guy and do another jump + dash if you need to.

iconoclast said:
Is it just me or is the Stage 3 mid-boss the hardest boss in the game? Fuck that guy.
Learn to air-dash.

Tain said:
What do you do to not get hit against the boulders in stage 3's spike room? Or am I just not shooting fast enough?

Arcade mode, of course.

If you gun isn't strong enough you can jump/air-dash over them. There's an indent at about the mid-way point where you can lie down until the spikes drop. They'll reset to their original positions afterwards so you get a fresh start. You can try to rush through it entirely but you need enough space to clear the boulders without bumping your head on the spikes.

Tain

What do you do to not get hit against the boulders in stage 3's spike room? Or am I just not shooting fast enough?

Arcade mode, of course.

I mostly have the pattern for that boss down, but I always wind up messing up somewhere and losing one of my weapons. Level 3 SMG completely annihilates him though. As it does for every boss in the game. Now if only I could hold onto it for more than a few levels!

Pretty close to 1CC'ing Arcade mode though; I'm in stage 6 right now with 8 lives. Stage 6 is pretty easy, but 7 still gives me some trouble and I always wind up dying on the beginning section of stage 8 (with the rockets and falling platforms). Meh, hopefully everything goes well. I don't like playing more than one credit a day since the game is so long.

Ugh, died on the final boss. Whatever, I'll get 'em next time.

bsb

Neo Member
Big Contra fan here, but a sadly 360-less one. Those of you who have played it, where would you say this falls on the Contra gameplay spectrum- is it boss rush (hard corps, shattered soldier), pure run 'n gun (eg, contra, super c, contra rebirth), or in between (eg, contra III, contra 4, neocontra)?

(And if you wanna argue with my classifications, I'd be happy to debate that :p)

Teknoman

bsb said:
Big Contra fan here, but a sadly 360-less one. Those of you who have played it, where would you say this falls on the Contra gameplay spectrum- is it boss rush (hard corps, shattered soldier), pure run 'n gun (eg, contra, super c, contra rebirth), or in between (eg, contra III, contra 4, neocontra)?

(And if you wanna argue with my classifications, I'd be happy to debate that :p)

In between i'd say. Level 1 almost hits boss rush, but then Level 2 balances things out with mostly in between action.

Tain said:

Arcade mode, of course.
You aren't shooting fast enough. I haven't gotten that far in arcade mode but in the other mode where my gun is double the shooting speed I can get through most of the time without problems.

bsb said:

There are about three bosses on average for each stage, so it's a boss rush for sure. But there is a lot of run and gun as well (sprinting while gunning and dodging is awesome). I would say it's the best of both worlds.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stage 7 is fucking awesome. I feel like after I got past level 2 after retrying a few times I was able to eat at the rest of the game fairly easily. Though level 5 I barely beat, I am always terrible at those types of levels.

Tain said:

Arcade mode, of course.

Just jump over them. When the spikes lower to a certain point, airdash instead of doing a double jump.

Papercuts said:
Stage 7 is fucking awesome. I feel like after I got past level 2 after retrying a few times I was able to eat at the rest of the game fairly easily. Though level 5 I barely beat, I am always terrible at those types of levels.

Just jump over them. When the spikes lower to a certain point, airdash instead of doing a double jump.
Same here. Level one was bad the first time, but level two was a clusterfuck of images and bullets and enemies all over the screen the first time I played it. Very overwhelming. Somehow after that, the game slowed down in my mind and I was able to distinguish what was what more easily. I had to get back into Contra mode I guess.

Riposte

This game isn't good.

It is fantastic. Probably my favorite Contra. That alone should explain why it might be the one of the pinnacles of its subgenre.

Too bad it will be hated on though. I mean it isn't dumbed-down and pointless like Contra 4, so people who only like to pretend to like Contra(and arcade-style games in general) for gamer cred will hate it and like that more. I believe it was Ryan of Giant Bomb who had the gull to say it didn't deserve the Contra name. This is after being thrashed by its first level and complaining about checkpoints(and bosses...) lol. I think even among the critics who liked it, it won't get proper recognition.

Oddly enough though, this game seems to have no pride in forcing its players to 1CC it. So many extra lives. Almost like you were reenacting Konami code or something. Kind of disheartening.

I still have to play a lot more of this.

While the gameplay is okay, I wish it didn't use ASW's artstyle, everything just clashes together with the ugly 3D and 2D sprites all at once. I still don't know why this project was greenlit, when they could have just released a new Contra proper, or just an HD version of Rebirth.

Ah well, maybe it'll be more fun in co-op.

Instro

Hyperborean said:
This game isn't good.

It is fantastic. Probably my favorite Contra. That alone should explain why it might be the one of the pinnacles of its subgenre.

Too bad it will be hated on though. I mean it isn't dumbed-down and pointless like Contra 4, so people who only like to pretend to like Contra(and arcade-style games in general) for gamer cred will hate it and like that more. I believe it was Ryan of Giant Bomb who had the gull to say it didn't deserve the Contra name. This is after being thrashed by its first level and complaining about checkpoints(and bosses...) lol. I think even among the critics who liked it, it won't get proper recognition.

Oddly enough though, this game seems to have no pride in forcing its players to 1CC it. So many extra lives. Almost like you were reenacting Konami code or something. Kind of disheartening.

I still have to play a lot more of this.

You better explain this shit, how is Contra 4 dumbed down?

Dark Octave said:
Ok this is not what I played at all. I thought it was Hard Corps. Thanks for posting these.

Now I have to find it. I'll post the game I'm talking about tomorrow. I'm sure it was a Contra game and I believe it was on the Genesis.
Ok my GF found the game I was talking about. It wasn't on Genesis, it was on the NES.

Contra Force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkoI273LQhI

contra_force_frontcover_large_GTCxSOpUMYQT1Zh.jpg

Contra_Force_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

gfs_45492_1_4.jpg

crate_contra_force.jpg

barrel_contra_force.jpg

contra_force-140375-4.jpg

FFFFFFFFUUUUUU

Made it stage 6 without a death. I know I can do stages 7 and 8 without dying (the giant ball on stage 8 is a little sketchy though), so I know I can get this fucking achievement for no-missing the game. I guess it's time to drill stage 6 into my head via Rising mode. God damn it.

Appollowexx said:
How tough will I find this game if I had trouble with Shattered Soilder PS2?

I find it less punishing than Shattered Soldier, but not a cake walk. If you take your licks and memorize the attack patterns you're good, plus it doesn't have the crazy camera shifting to throw you off like SS had.

If Arcade mode is too much, you can grind through Rising mode.

It's firm, but just. :)

Nice! Loved SS but it was one of those games to play over and over to get everything down and this sounds the same. I have to wait for the PSN release unfortunatly but I'm super excited to juice up some old school kick-in-the-teeth sidescroller fun!

Tain

hey joystick people

What config do you use? I resigned to using the 360 pad, but anyone have any suggestions?

Yuterald

I have finished this game on arcade mode about 4 times already and I can reach stage 8 on one credit. This game is so fucking awesome! Contra 3 and Shattered Soldier are probably my fav Contra games, but this one is definitely up there. I think I like it more than Contra 4, but I am not sure yet. I am totally double dipping once it releases on PSN.

Tain

Yeah, the more I play this, the more I like it. All the context button moves are useful, fast, and awesome looking if you actually know the stage layout, so I take back any ill words I said about them earlier.

I haven't played enough of 3, HC, or SS, but I can say that this is better than Contra 4 and better than the original Contra.

Tain said:
hey joystick people

What config do you use? I resigned to using the 360 pad, but anyone have any suggestions?

On Madcrapz SE stick layout:

X = Weapon Change, Y = Shoot, RB = Lock, LB = Strafe
A = Jump, B = Action, RT = None, LT = None

Thumb and always be over jump. Forefinger on shoot, and the rest of the fingers can reach to whatever lock/strafe function I need.

Teknoman

ace harding: private eye said:
It's basically a remake of 1 with extra content. I don't know if "dumbed-down" is as good a description as "creatively lacking."

How is that? I guess the first stage and the tunnel stages maybe...but every Contra game usually has something that was in a past game.

EDIT: Better try to recover the GAF Hard Corps profile, deleted it since it didnt seem like anyone was interested in using it :(

Foffy

Banned
Man, playing this with all of the Rising skills off turns the game into a different beast all together.

I hope a lot of people are buying this, because we don't get enough Contra games, and they've been on a roll with the past few games (4, ReBirth, and now Uprising). Uprising has me greatly anticipating the 3DS installment.

Still no word on a PSN date? Is the 1-month exclusivity conjecture or fact? I would get in on three-six, but I have a friend who only has a PS3 and I would like to play online with him.

Holy Crap Harley is awesome! :D

Still no solid date on PSN release. I'll keep an eye out. Would be nice to know more, it looks like Rush'n Attack also has a solid 360 release date; but no firm PSN date.

It's not worth $60 a year IMO, but Microsoft really does make their digital download service a pretty big priority. This in addition to a web based PS3 store (I don't want to use a program to access it) are two things I wish Sony would get on the ball with for PS3. Oh and more damned demos day and date.

jtrov

I absolutely love this damn game. My friend and I marathon-ed through Uprising Mode three or so times over the weekend, trying to level up our characters. The progression of getting your ass kicked to finally understanding the patterns, is still as gratifying as ever. The game was definitely worth the wait.

Also, does anyone know of other DLC plans for this game, besides the two extra character that released day one?

I bought Sayuri and have been working on the 1 life clear achievement with her. I can do every stage without dying, the problem is just stringing them together. Ugh. Furthest I've gone is half way through stage 7, and of course I died to something completely stupid. I will get this damn achievement even if it kills me.

jtrov said:
I absolutely love this damn game.

Same. I'd say this is the best game on XBLA. Right now it's tied with Muchi Muchi Pork as my GotY.

Didn't realize this was coming out for PS3 too, bah. I think will just keep playing the 360 version vanilla and rebuy it with all the characters on PS3 whenever it comes out. It's that good, so I don't really mind.

Henry Cooldown said:
While the gameplay is okay, I wish it didn't use ASW's artstyle, everything just clashes together with the ugly 3D and 2D sprites all at once. I still don't know why this project was greenlit, when they could have just released a new Contra proper, or just an HD version of Rebirth.

Ah well, maybe it'll be more fun in co-op.

I actually think this is one of the few games where the style really works. It was done quite tastefully in my opinion. I mean, compare it to a game like Deathsmiles where it's completely glaring-- my brain forgets about it pretty often in Hard Corps.

jtrov

The Take Out Bandit said:
Holy Crap Harley is awesome! :D

He's easily my favorite character out of the four. His win quotes against bosses are amazing. Running around in his pink jumpsuit while flipping and shooting dudes to death, is just awesome.

MrMephistoX

I haven't been this impressed with a demo in a long time: it seems nay perfect to me but am curious why sites like Giant Bomb are giving Hard Corps Uprising such negative press? Is it the difficulty curve or does the game devolve into crappy (IMHO) overhead stages a la Contra 3?

MrMephistoX said:
I haven't been this impressed with a demo in a long time: it seems nay perfect to me but am curious why sites like Giant Bomb are giving Hard Corps Uprising such negative press? Is it the difficulty curve or does the game devolve into crappy (IMHO) overhead stages a la Contra 3?

I think a lot of folks are just not keen on old school game design. Learning patterns and repetition to beat stages. Now everything in gaming is mostly forward progress and uninterrupted narratives.

This is straight up shooting dawg! :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Take Out Bandit said:
I think a lot of folks are just not keen on old school game design. Learning patterns and repetition to beat stages. Now everything in gaming is mostly forward progress and uninterrupted narratives.

This is straight up shooting dawg! :D
I also imagine people assumed the Uprising mode would make the game more lenient to the non-hardcore players when it really doesn't.

Rawker said:
wow that's crazy, gj, what character did you use?

Sayuri. She's great because it's less risky (you don't lose a powerful weapon if you get hit) and she completely destroys most of the bosses.

I was using Bahamut for a while, and I came pretty close to clearing it with him, but I just said screw it and bought the Sayuri DLC. It's too frustrating losing a level 3 Machine Gun or a Chain Laser if you screw up somewhere.

Teknoman

MomoPufflet said:
Didn't realize this was coming out for PS3 too, bah. I think will just keep playing the 360 version vanilla and rebuy it with all the characters on PS3 whenever it comes out. It's that good, so I don't really mind.

I actually think this is one of the few games where the style really works. It was done quite tastefully in my opinion. I mean, compare it to a game like Deathsmiles where it's completely glaring-- my brain forgets about it pretty often in Hard Corps.

Yeah the graphic style fits together nicely here, especially since the main character sprites are so small compared to the scale of the environment.

Top Bottom