• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

Kreed

The Take Out Bandit said:
:O

I am thing to buy!

Leviathan is definitely fun to play as, although I wish they had given him at least one more health bar for Arcade Mode. His grenades are very strong and the Moonsault/Slide invincibility are great against a couple of bosses. Only having one weapon slot can be annoying (especially if you pick up weapon that isn't appropriate in all situations like the Crash missile), but the grenades more than make up for it.

If anyone's actually wondering there are no major story changes while playing Leviathan (Leviathan still shows up during the game, with your Leviathan calling him a doppelganger)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Anyone getting the PSN version today?

I know I am + Parasite Eve.

Ryu1999

_dementia said:
For those with the 360 version already, are the DLC characters worth it?
I only picked up sayuri. Completely different playstyle but she just rolls through bosses because of her ridiculous damage.

Ace_235 said:
Cant wait to coop this with my bro. I too would like to know of the dlc characters are worth it.

Harley and Sayuri are cool. I don't like the blonde (Ky Kiske) guys design, so I'm passing on him for the time being.

Glad to see PS3 owners can now enjoy the awesome-sauce. :D

Solune

Glad to see PS3 owners can now enjoy the awesome-sauce. :D

Plan on getting this soon TTOB, I'd like to make a PSN GafChat so it's easier to get coop going, If I end up making it would you add it to the OP?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game is haaaaard but still, I need to persevere.

Also from what I've noticed, Krystal seems "stronger" than Bahamut.

kiryogi

Banned
About damn time. Picked it up along with Sayuri, and been going thru it to learn the stages. Lovin it and Ishiwatari's soundtrack.

Instro

Made it to the jungle on arcade mode, lost my last continue on that sword robot guy. Game is hard dudes.Only minor complaint right now is that the character moves a bit too slow when not dashing, especially during jumps.

I kind of want to check out rising mode, but that seems like a cop out since I started with balls to the wall arcade mode.

Rocwell

I likes it. I started with Rising mode and think that's the best way for beginners to play. You can unlock extra health, lives, and other abilities as you play which may not be available in arcade mode. You can also select which stage you start on which I don't think you can in arcade mode? Futz around in rising mode until you learn all the stages and boss patterns, and then you can switch over to arcade after you start getting everything down.

Tizoc

Gonna get the game soon, the one DLC character I should be getting is Sayuri correct? What about the other two?
EDIT: Sigh PSN EU doesn't have it this week RAGE!

didn't have much time to play but made it to level 3 in rising mode.

good fun, i'm gonna search in every nook and cranny for secrets later!

Loving the art-style and the gameplay (even though it's rock hard), but I just wish they'd be a bit more forgiving with the damn checkpoints - totally kills it for me having to go back 2 or 3 major sections if I lose a continue.

Skilletor

Game is really fun. Feels like Contra, fa sho.

two minor complaints:

What's up with the shitty sound effect quality?

I wish it was a button to walk rather than dash. I haven't run into a situation where I'd rather be walking, so I'd prefer a command to do that since naturally I want faster movement.

Is there such an option and I'm just missing it?

I want the samurai chick they showed in the intro. I'm assuming she's a DLC character?

Do the DLC characters play different?

the sound quality is indeed crap. i know most people are deaf and don't care about sound quality, but they should have spend more time and money on it. this feels like two steps back from everything else.

Skilletor

Augemitbutter said:
the sound quality is indeed crap. i know most people are deaf and don't care about sound quality, but they should have spend more time and money on it. this feels like two steps back from everything else.

It was really distracting to me for the first level. It sounded like everybody who died was yelling through a tin can.

It's not a big deal, but it is definitely subpar, especially considering how awesome the rest of the game is.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
Am I missing something here? I thought this game was suppose to be $9.99 but in the PSN Store it's listed as $14.99. How do I get the game for the $9.99 price? Has anyone one on PSN bought this game for that price yet?

Hi-tekk said:
Am I missing something here? I thought this game was suppose to be $9.99 but in the PSN Store it's listed as $14.99. How do I get the game for the $9.99 price? Has anyone one on PSN bought this game for that price yet?

it's $14.99 for everybody. that site who made that pricing mistake corrected it a few hours later.

Anyone else avoiding Rising Mode and going oldschool with Arcade only? I want to avoid Rising as long as possible. The videos I watched of it made it look too easy.

ThirstyFly said:
Anyone else avoiding Rising Mode and going oldschool with Arcade only? I want to avoid Rising as long as possible. The videos I watched of it made it look too easy.

There's still plenty of challenge to Rising mode. Unless I'm grinding wrong. :p

Could you link to the videos in question?

IMO, you should just play Rising mode until you think you can clear Arcade mode on 1 credit. There's not a huge difference between them and Rising mode is more forgiving. Being able to select any level you want is very helpful, since you can just skip past all of the easy stages and practice the hard ones at any time.

There's still plenty of challenge to Rising mode. Unless I'm grinding wrong. :p

Could you link to the videos in question?

I just did random youtube searches. Granted it's people S-ranking them so it's obviously skilled players, but extra health and super weapons from the start doesn't seem very Contra to me. They probably already had all the grinding out of the way too because they were powered up out the ass.

ThirstyFly said:
I just did random youtube searches. Granted it's people S-ranking them so it's obviously skilled players, but extra health and super weapons from the start doesn't seem very Contra to me. They probably already had all the grinding out of the way too because they were powered up out the ass.

Yes.

You don't get extra health and super weapons from the start in Rising mode. You still need to work for it, earn them, and learn the stage patterns.

Regardless, it's a nice concession to folks who may be put off by the sheer difficulty of Arcade Mode alone.

Can you still access all of the levels in Rising, or is it like the training missions in Shattered Soldier and easy mode in Contra 4 where the last few are not included so you have to play though the "real" modes?

Volcynika

Augemitbutter said:
it's $14.99 for everybody. that site who made that pricing mistake corrected it a few hours later.

A site didn't make the pricing mistake, Konami put out a PR with the $9.99 price, then later rescinded it and put out a fixed PR with the $14.99 price. At least that's what it looked like t ome.

giggas

Good to see you guys are really enjoying it, but I'm really let down. It looks like a Contra game, but to me, it doesn't really feel like a Contra game.

The slow movement of the characters just kills me. It really wrecks the whole pacing of the game I think. And sure, you can dash, but the dashing is too fast resulting in getting hit by something most of the time. There just isn't a middle ground. You're either going slow as molasses or way too quick.

On top of that, anyone else find their arm/thumb tired from playing this? You really gotta hammer on those buttons to fire that default pea shooter. This was the case in other Contra games, but I never actually felt physical stress before. I'm not quite sure why that is. It's hard to explain at this point. Also, thanks to the bad sound effects I just feel like I'm doing zero damage at all with the default weapon, or actually, any weapon. Even the spreader feels gimped. The only gun that feels remotely satisfying so far is the machine gun.

I do like that some of the mechanics from Shattered Soldier carried over (locking your position/gun, which locking the gun has actually been around since Alien Wars) but I'm not big on the new ones. The double jump and air dash seems like a pointless addition (though the tower boss thingy on the second stage seemed to be designed around using it) but I feel like they over complicate and game that should really be about the bare minimum.

The graphics are pretty nice but I'll admit that the whole art style isn't really my thing. The only thing I don't like about the graphics is that there just appears to be so much shit on the screen that I'm getting hit by all sorts of things and bad guys I don't see right away.

I just started playing through Hard Corps on Genesis for the first time a few weeks ago, and that game blows this one away so far. Then again, I've only played for about 20 minutes and made it to the second stage, so I'm hopeful my opinion will change.

edit: I was also annoyed with the pricing mistake. Garbage. :(

ThirstyFly said:
Can you still access all of the levels in Rising, or is it like the training missions in Shattered Soldier and easy mode in Contra 4 where the last few are not included so you have to play though the "real" modes?

You can select any stage that you've been to. The enemy layouts and patterns are exactly the same in Arcade and Rising, the only difference is you can purchase powerups (that you can toggle on and off at will) which makes learning everything a bit easier. Getting comfortable with Rising mode and then moving on to Arcade gives the game a much smoother difficulty curve.

giggas

iconoclast said:
You can select any stage that you've been to. The enemy layouts and patterns are exactly the same in Arcade and Rising, the only difference is you can purchase powerups (that you can toggle on and off at will) which makes learning everything a bit easier. Getting comfortable with Rising mode and then moving on to Arcade gives the game a much smoother difficulty curve.

Part of me refuses to play Rising mode, but I almost sort of get the feeling the game was built around Rising mode from what I'm hearing. Maybe I should dive in first? My Contra instincts want me to press on through Arcade though. :\

Top Bottom