• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks, guess I can get the Burning Spirit trophy sooner or later.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Then go play those games. Nobody is taking them away from you.

Part of the reason I initially disliked the SF4 arcade release is it was just a grotesque 3D rehash of SF2 (in terms of the initial roster). I'm not overly nostalgic for things I played to death decades ago. Those games still exist. If I want to play them, I still can. So can you.

I'm generally not a fan of ASW character designs and presentation, but this is by far my favorite game they've been behind.

Shattered Soldier felt like the gritty extension of the original Contra series, but that tanked unfortunately. Which is a shame considering the sh*t Contra fans put up with during the 32-bit era; read: Those god awful Apaloosa things calling themselves Contra games.
Hey, yeah, I remember you shitting up the SF4 threads with a quasi religous zeal, lol.

I noticed Hard Corps: Uprising has almost barren leveldesign, you're literally running through a hose. And the art-direction is way too clean and sanitized for a proper contra game.
I also didn't play Contra 4 and Contra:Rebirth a decade ago, I played them 3 and 1 year ago.

Ironic how HC:U is a bigger departure from Contra than SF4 was from SF2 and you're apparently loving this one, what made you change your mind about those things?

Skilletor

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Ironic how HC:U is a bigger departure from Contra than SF4 was from SF2 and you're apparently loving this one, what made you change your mind about those things?

One has sprites...:p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been playing the piss out of this game for the last week and a half. Seriously fucking love it. I've been practicing the stages in Rising mode, and I think I'm just about ready to 1cc arcade mode. Gonna practice a bit more tonight, and then go for the kill tomorrow.

Hey, yeah, I remember you shitting up the SF4 threads with a quasi religous zeal, lol.

I noticed Hard Corps: Uprising has almost barren leveldesign, you're literally running through a hose. And the art-direction is way too clean and sanitized for a proper contra game.

Well maybe that's why ASW is being so silly about it not being called Contra and not calling it a direct sequel? If nothing else it's the spirit of Contra without Red Guy and Blue Guy as the main characters.

Stages are all pretty awesome, lively, vibrant, and throwbacks to the golden era of run'n gun shooters w/o being a stale rehash. I can greatly appreciate that aspect of the game.

I also didn't play Contra 4 and Contra:Rebirth a decade ago, I played them 3 and 1 year ago.

Don't go all Literalnet on me. My point is those games revisited the old formula, perhaps in some ways rehashed, and while they're newer they're also still very much vanilla Contra games. That's no saying they're bad, just familiar to the point of near redundancy with the old games.

I get it, folks love the familiar formulas; but I like taking that recipe and tweaking it. Watch the chef (developer) make it their own.

If you want to draw a comparison (since I'm not articulating myself clearly):

HCU is to Contra, as SF3 is to SF2.

There's an old saying - Familiarity breeds contempt.

That doesn't seem to apply for most gamers (otherwise bland sequels wouldn't be so prevalent), but as someone who has played the familiar Contra and SF2 games to death (I probably put more hours into all incarnations of SF2 in arcades and on consoles than most 20-something gaf has logged in the workplace) I welcome familiar formulas with interesting twists like HCU and SF3.

And yes, sprites do help as game developers seemingly abandoned high resolution sprites and hand drawn animation at the altar in favor of polyon models and the related rigging. And gamers seemed to accept this as a truth as to why certain genres and art styles lost popularity.

I still like the goofy voice samples. This isn't your interactive machinima of the week starring Hollywood vocal talent (or even Nolan North), but an awesome example of what digital distribution games should be.

Danny Dudekisser

Actually, this makes me wonder: Is Contra Rebirth worth getting? If there are any overhead levels, the answer is no.

Stages are all pretty awesome, lively, vibrant, and throwbacks to the golden era of run'n gun shooters w/o being a stale rehash. I can greatly appreciate that aspect of the game.
The stages I played consisted of running through a drawn out horizontal hose with almost no interesting things going on in the background, most of the backgrounds are almost static.
And including a run button was pretty much the dumbest thing they could've done. That and fucking airdash.

HCU is to Contra, as SF3 is to SF2.
HCU to Contra is als Guilty Gear to SF2.

HCU is more like Dolphin Blue with less MS and more Guilty Gear.

Also I take it you never even played rebirth, rite?

Chacranajxy said:
Actually, this makes me wonder: Is Contra Rebirth worth getting? If there are any overhead levels, the answer is no.
Rebirth is not only worth getting, it also shits all over Uprising and wipes it's ass with the DLC.
The game is a true Contra with beefed up shirtless Contras running through exploding levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsjbOx9_8FM#t=2m3s
Just look at it.

I really hated Contra 4. I have to try Rebirth though.

My faves were Hard Corps (as in Hard Spirits, the Megadrive/Genny one) and SS.

_dementia said:
I really hated Contra 4. I have to try Rebirth though.

My faves were Hard Corps (as in Hard Spirits, the Megadrive/Genny one) and SS.
I really liked Hard Corps too. That's why I'm so disappointed with Uprising. It only complicates things with stuff like a run button, airdash and reflect. That's so useless.
In some ways Uprising is the anti-contra.

Try rebirth, it's worth it. And you get 2 bonus characters by unlocking them without paying a dime extra.

Riposte

Whining about graphics and DLC aside, this sounds like "HCU is too good!!". Yeah, it has run and airdash. That's what makes it fucking awesome.

Riposte said:
Whining about graphics and DLC aside, this sounds like "HC is too good!!". Yeah, it has run and airdash. That's what makes it fucking awesome.
Well they could've called it Dolphin Blue 2 and I'd be perfectly happy with it.
It's just not a very good contra. Fancy stuff like airdash and run don't belong in contra.
It's autorun and saltojumps. That's it. A run button only takes speed out of the game.

bsb

Neo Member

I'd say so. It's a cool throwback to the 16-bit era, and there are no overhead levels or those faux-3d "run into the screen levels". Just straight up run 'n gun. Just make sure you play on hard mode and limit your continues! For once in a Contra game, "easy" mode is actually pretty easy.

Skilletor

Well they could've called it Dolphin Blue 2 and I'd be perfectly happy with it.
It's just not a very good contra. Fancy stuff like airdash and run don't belong in contra.
It's autorun and saltojumps. That's it. A run button only takes speed out of the game.

But the normal run is the same speed as that vid you posted...and, like, all other contras. I've always thought movement in contra too slow.

Not arguing about whether or not this is a contra, I don't care, but to say that a RUN slows the game down is pretty silly.

Also I take it you never even played rebirth, rite?

Nope.

So long as Nintendo ties purchases to hardware, doesn't allow users unique accounts, and generally insists on running the most abhorrent half baked online service good games (that aren't Shantae) will languish.

Really kind of a bummer. There's stuff I want to buy, I'm just so turned off by Wiiware.

Skilletor said:
But the normal run is the same speed as that vid you posted...and, like, all other contras. I've always thought movement in contra too slow.

Not arguing about whether or not this is a contra, I don't care, but to say that a RUN slows the game down is pretty silly.
Run slows down the game. As leveldesign needs to be adjusted to two possible walking speeds, that's also why levels in uprising are so drawn out.
If their intention was to make a faster contra they should've just increased the whole speed of the game. A dedicated run button just overly complicates stuff.

Skilletor

Run slows down the game. As leveldesign needs to be adjusted to two possible walking speeds, that's also why levels in uprising are so drawn out.
If their intention was to make a faster contra they should've just increased the whole speed of the game. A dedicated run button just overly complicates stuff.

I don't see it. I do wish that it was a button to do the slower movement rather than to run, but I don't see how this game is slower than any other contra. I enjoy quicker movement, especially with Sayuri.

woodypop said:
Is Rebirth only available on Wiiware? How much is it?
It's 1000 wii points I think.
Also check out castlevania rebirth:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/stage-iii-castlevania-the/60494
That game is also fucking amazing.
The rebirth series was the best thing to happen to gaming in a long time and it went total under everyone's radar for some reason.
Yes and they're all on wii only. It's definately worth it though.

Danny Dudekisser

I wouldn't have minded if they made your default movement speed as fast as the run in Uprising, and then had an even faster dash you could do... a la Mega Man X or something.

Though that'd be even cooler in the Castlevania game that Arc should work on if they know what's good for 'em.

Nope.

So long as Nintendo ties purchases to hardware, doesn't allow users unique accounts, and generally insists on running the most abhorrent half baked online service good games (that aren't Shantae) will languish.

Really kind of a bummer. There's stuff I want to buy, I'm just so turned off by Wiiware.
You can tie your wiiware purchases to your club nintendo account though.
Don't be such a taliban about this, those games are cheap enough to be worth the buy.

Chacranajxy said:
I wouldn't have minded if they made your default movement speed as fast as the run in Uprising, and then had an even faster dash you could do... a la Mega Man X or something.

Though that'd be even cooler in the Castlevania game that Arc should work on if they know what's good for 'em.
I'd rather have M2 deliver another Castlevania. They're pretty good at what they are doing.

low-G said:
Ugh, someone likes Rebirth more than Uprising? Just ugh.
Uprising is a medicore Dolphin Blue sequel and absolutely fails as a contra.
So Rebirth is the better choice for me. I like my Contra oldschool.

Danny Dudekisser

Don't be such a taliban about this, those games are cheap enough to be worth the buy.

I'd rather have M2 deliver another Castlevania. They're pretty good at what they are doing.

I guess I just wanna see Arc do another 2D actioner, but with a focus on melee combat. Because I really, really loved Uprising.

This thread has also reminded me that I wanna pick up Dolphin Blue at some point. Just need to build that Supergun I've meaning to get to for the last two years...

Chacranajxy said:
I guess I just wanna see Arc do another 2D actioner, but with a focus on melee combat. Because I really, really loved Uprising.

This thread has also reminded me that I wanna pick up Dolphin Blue at some point. Just need to build that Supergun I've meaning to get to for the last two years...
To me Arc has always been style over substance. Their only game I really enjoyed was Hokuto no Ken. Even Guilty Gear was always too floaty for me.
Dolphin Blue was fun though, but it's not worth getting an atomiswave for it.

Riposte

To me Arc has always been style over substance. Their only game I enjoyed was Hokuto no Ken. Even Guilty Gear was always too floaty for me.

REALLY?

Hokuto no Ken over Guilty Gear because of style over substance?

Nonsense! Everything you are saying about Hard Corps is suspect as hell too.

To me Arc has always been style over substance. Their only game I really enjoyed was Hokuto no Ken. Even Guilty Gear was always too floaty for me.
Dolphin Blue was fun though.
Arc System Works didn't develop Dolphin Blue.

Riposte said:
Hokuto no Ken over Guilty Gear because of style over substance?
No, Hokuto no Ken over Guilty Gear because I like Hokuto no Ken, that's just special interest on my side. Could be by ADK for all I care. Thanks for deliberately reading shit into my post.

When it comes to fighting I take SF3 over any of the floaty shit Arc pumped out any day.

_dementia said:
Arc System Works didn't develop Dolphin Blue.
That was a reply to him mentioning getting dolphin blue. Who made Dolphin Blue anyways? I only know it's published by Sammy who also published Guilty Gear. Was it made by Dimps or something?

Riposte

There's nothing style over substance about Guilty Gear though. Yeah, they have a lot of style, but they are mechanically dense games. I really get the feeling you just want to not like Arc's games, because this makes no sense. Where is that coming from?

Maybe you don't like the idea of a Contra game having airdash and whatnot, but the game isn't even nearly as flawed as you'd like to say it is. Nowhere near 4. Haven't played Rebirth, but from what I've heard, it doesn't fair much better than 4.

Riposte said:
There's nothing style over substance about Guilty Gear though. Yeah, they have a lot of style, but they are mechanically dense games. I really get the feeling you just want to not like Arc's games, because this makes no sense. Where is that coming from?

Maybe you don't like the idea of a Contra game having airdash and whatnot, but the game isn't even nearly as flawed as you'd like to say it is. Nowhere near 4. Haven't played Rebirth, but from what I've heard, it doesn't fair much better than 4.
Well Contra rebirth is a Contra. It emulates the classics pretty well in every aspect.
Uprising just isn't accesible. I personally had no fun playing it. It's just off.

Also there's a reason why people still play SF3 instead of Guilty Gear.
Guilty Gear is the definiation of floaty, the animations are choppy and got very few frames if you actually look at it beyond the shiny surface and the game is broken as fuck.
People like Guilty Gear mostly for the music and anime chara design.
People like SF3 for the solid mechanics. (The great art and superior animation is a bonus that makes SF3 the overal better game though)

Well it all boils down to opinions. I don't wanna stop you from loving Arc. I guess it's a matter of preference and all. I like my games straight and simple, with solid and firm gameplay.

I guess people switched over to SF4 after all.
But you're not seriously gonna say that you think Guilty Gear can hold a candle to streetfighter?

If you want to say people went over to SF4 some GG guys went over to BB.
I really like this Contra it has throws back to old school while bring something new to the series.To me it's the best contra in a while.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I guess people switched over to SF4 after all.
But you're not seriously gonna say that you think Guilty Gear can hold a candle to streetfighter?

Outside of America and Japan there's a whole world of fighting games more popular than Street Fighter. Especially Street Fighter 3

Also there's a reason why people still play SF3 instead of Guilty Gear.

Yeah and that reason is because it's easier :p

I like my games straight and simple, with solid and firm gameplay.

That's all you have to say.

When you try to pass your opinions off as objective fact though, people have the room to call you out on it.

Like you're looking real silly criticizing Guilty Gear while not knowing very much about it.

Chopperman said:
When you try to pass your opinions off as objective fact though, people have the room to call you out on it.
I've stated that it all boils down to opinions.
I've also stated my reasons for disliking Arc system games when asked about it.
Because unlike you I can bring up other reasons than "it's easy". What do you even mean by "easy"? It's too accessible so you can't snob arround how it's really hardcore to play as your little boy-nun?
When it comes to popularity Streetfighet trumps shit by arc, because it's accessible and yet deep enough.
So how about I call you out on confusing "accesible" with "easy"?

I could also spend 30 minutes look up retarded statistics to prove my point and then feel ballin because I've won an internet fight.
There are more than enough competent players who dislike guilty gear for valid reasons.
This thread has almost derailed too. If you wanna discuss this stuff make a new thread for it and we could stop shitting up the thread with the discussion about guilty gear vs street fighter.
And maybe you'll find people with more patience there that will enjoy discussing with you how people shouldn't like games you dislike.
edit:
Due to the lack of a GUILTY GEAR |OT| on the frontpage you could also go into the SFIV |OT| and start educating people about how streetfighter is too easy compared to guilty gear.

Riposte

Eh, this thread isn't about fighting games. While Viral reasons are pretty stupid, to challenge them would to go off-topic at this point.

Don't have a Nintendo club account.

If it's not integrated with the hardware by default I'm not interested, it's not you. It's not Konami.

It's Nintendo being Nintendo.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Unwarranted righteous indignation and false assumptions

I like Street Fighter smart guy.

but yeah I'll atleast agree to get back on topic.

Hard Corps Uprising is a good game I like Hard Corps Uprising

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
low-G said:
Ugh, someone likes Rebirth more than Uprising? Just ugh.
Consider me Ugh. I do like Uprising though but yeah, I'm an old school cat that likes me his Contra the same. And reading this thread, I never knew people hated Contra 4.

All this talk about Rebirth makes me want to puke. I found it to be a mess. HCU is probably the best Contra game to come out since Shattered Soldier/Neo. I felt the same way about Contra 4, just more of the same.

I actually just played HCU a little more today with Leviathan. Game is such good times.

i like the new moves introduced in HC, but i wish they would have explained them in the tutorial. i had to look a few up since i didn't know how they work.

Solune

bob_arctor said:
Consider me Ugh. I do like Uprising though but yeah, I'm an old school cat that likes me his Contra the same. And reading this thread, I never knew people hated Contra 4.
Contra 4 was an amazing effort by Wayforward, especially with core gameplay intact, playable characters, and bonus content.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Solune said:
Contra 4 was an amazing effort by Wayforward, especially with core gameplay intact, playable characters, and bonus content.

word. the challenges were damn addicting too (if insanely hard at times).

Danny Dudekisser

Guess I really was ready to 1cc the game... I tried arcade mode and finished the game with 15 lives to spare.

But yeah, game is retardedly good.

Riposte

Chacranajxy said:
Guess I really was ready to 1cc the game... I tried arcade mode and finished the game with 15 lives to spare.

But yeah, game is retardedly good.

The extra lives in this game are completely dumb lol. You basically have to 1LC to get a challenge in that way. Or maybe set some other rule.

QisTopTier said:
am I the only one that thinks contra rebirth looks bleh after playing the fuck out of hard corps?

No, lol

Top Bottom