• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Akselziys said:
Just finished Hard Corps: Uprising and all I can say is it's so awesome :D

I totally agree that a new Castlevania, Megaman X, and/or Strider in this style would be pure <3

Though playing as Sayuri kinda gives a sample of how Strider would be like :D

You mean Konami :3?
Yeah, going with the whole Konami=Capcom joke.

Nice to hear about the load times being reduced on PS3. All the more reason to double dip when the price drops on PS3. :D

theMrCravens said:
I won't say this a bad game (somewhat decent platformer)...

...but I really want Konami to one day look back at Contra 1-3 and Hard Corps Genesis, then tell themselves that if Capcom can recreate the oldschool charm with Mega Man 9 and 10 (best XBLA games), then they too can make a REAL Contra sequel for consoles.

Same wish for some oldschool Castlevania.

As much as I enjoy nostalgia like the next guy, I prefer games that acknowledge my nostalgia and bring something interesting to the table.

The largest issue I have with Megaman 9 is it allows Crapcom to do the most insulting thing ever - recycle decades old game assets.

How about a Megaman game that retains the spirit and feel of the past games but with gorgeous HD 2D art?

Mainly I'm just offended by recycling decades old sprites. We get enough asset regurgitation out of modern developers, last thing I want are zombie sprites. D:

Akselziys said:
You mean Konami :3?

No. It's Capcom. Welcome to neogaf. @_@

I've put some more time into it and finished rising mode in co-op. gorgeous game!

missing the last jump on your last life is beautiful.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Nice to hear about the load times being reduced on PS3. All the more reason to double dip when the price drops on PS3. :D

As much as I enjoy nostalgia like the next guy, I prefer games that acknowledge my nostalgia and bring something interesting to the table.

The largest issue I have with Megaman 9 is it allows Crapcom to do the most insulting thing ever - recycle decades old game assets.

How about a Megaman game that retains the spirit and feel of the past games but with gorgeous HD 2D art?

Mainly I'm just offended by recycling decades old sprites. We get enough asset regurgitation out of modern developers, last thing I want are zombie sprites. D:

No. It's Capcom. Welcome to neogaf. @_@
I remember an interview with Inafune saying that basically, it wouldn't sell well enough to spend time, assets and money creating Megaman 8 level animations in HD, in this day and age.

I couldn't disagree more with the guy.

Teknoman

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yes! Imagine Capcom asking the Hard Corps Uprising team to make that! *mind blown*

They could just hand it over to Wayforward with Virt onboard for the soundtrack. Thats a winning combo no matter what.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yes! Imagine Capcom asking the Hard Corps Uprising team to make that! *mind blown*

Like I mentioned previously, Megaman X, Strider, and/or Castlevania in this style would be amazing :D
Metroid too ;) Though Other M attempted that already :)

The Take Out Bandit said:

This is 100% truth.
I would love a megaman in this style .

So both of my chars are almost at 100% in rising mode.
Still can't finish arcade mode with 1 credit dying at stage 6.
Need to get a psn card quick really want to play Sayuri .

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I would absolutely love an 2D HD Megaman game. Goddamn I thought there would be one out by now when I was still stuck in last gen.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InfiniteNine said:
I would absolutely love an 2D HD Megaman game. Goddamn I thought there would be one out by now when I was still stuck in last gen.

Megaman X8 was pretty good :) But that was PS2 and more 3D than 2D XD;

kiryogi

Banned
I absolutely love that arc works kept to it pretty traditionally but adding more manuvers. Really love the dodge and reflect mechanics. Thing that kills me about old megaman is how he lacks in manuverability. Give him back his dash/walljumps etc. Faster and frenetic gameplay.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
kiryogi said:
I absolutely love that arc works kept to it pretty traditionally but adding more manuvers. Really love the dodge and reflect mechanics. Thing that kills me about old megaman is how he lacks in manuverability. Give him back his dash/walljumps etc. Faster and frenetic gameplay.

Yup! AKA Megaman X :D (or Megaman 8 ;) )

kiryogi said:
Did any of the original MM have wall jumps?

I don't remember this move.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dark Octave said:
Did any of the original MM have wall jumps?

I don't remember this move.

No, they didn't. Nor did they have dashing except for Forte in Rockman & Forte (which is basically the best MM game anyway)... unless you count the slide.

Which is why I wish they'd go back and use the X series as the blueprint for a new game. I hate the Zero games with their bullshit RPG elements and unsatisfying mechanics, and Mega Man 9 and such, while fun, just feels kinda sedated compared to the X series. Mega Man X4 is probably one of my favorite games of all time, so another game like that... but maybe even more fast-paced? Perfection.

Capcom needs to shop it out to Arc, because they can't do anything themselves anymore though.

But we're off topic. The real question is when the hell Castlevania is getting a new game like this. Metroidvania games in that series have been done to death, and while I really like most of them, I want to see old-school CV with air-dashing and crazy whip combos. Arc obviously knows what they're doing. Let them have it.

Instro

Made it to the Aracne boss or w.e its name is yesterday, got my ass kicked. Only thing thats sucks about playing only arcade mode is that this game is long as hell by Contra standards so it takes a while to get back there.

ULTROS! said:
To be honest, I'd like to see an Arc System Works Castlevania game. I love their artwork in this game.
HAyrt.gif

Yeah Testament always made me wonder what an Ishiwatari character designed Castlevania would be like. It's in line with the post-SotN games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Also, I hope ASW branches out to different genres. I don't like fighting games to be honest but if they develop say an RPG or a platformer, I'll definitely take it.

Akselziys said:
I totally agree that a new Castlevania, Megaman X, and/or Strider in this style would be pure <3

*nudges* it would be nice if ASW actually does it *nudges*. :p
jk

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
ULTROS! said:
Also, I hope ASW branches out to different genres. I don't like fighting games to be honest but if they develop say an RPG or a platformer, I'll definitely take it.

*nudges* it would be nice if ASW actually does it *nudges*. :p
jk

Haha, I totally agree :D!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Stage 3 mid boss and stage 6 end boss destroy me as Sayuri -_-

anyone else have problems with these two? or better yet any tips for approaching them

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Please tell me that you can turn off the enemy soldiers' screams when they're killed. Watched some gameplay videos and holy shit that's so annoying.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
bought the game yesterday. Didn't have a ton of time to put into it, but I'm able to get to the end of stage 3 in arcade mode... gonna work on Rising mode to learn the levels better. But I can already tell the game is fucking amazing. Early candidate for my personal GOTY (along with Bulletstorm.)

Seraphis Cain said:
Please tell me that you can turn off the enemy soldiers' screams when they're killed. Watched some gameplay videos and holy shit that's so annoying.
There is an independent volume control for voices, but it will universally lower or mute all voices, including the player character.

Solune

Finally got the game and it is amazing. Would like to get a PSN chat going for easy matchmaking and things so if you'd like to play add me.

PSN: Sollune

I'll be in the chat whenever I'm on the PS3, I play other things in between but feel free to hit me up, I don't mind dropping what I'm doing to get a game of Hard Corps in.

If you're reading this TTOB you can add it to the OP, and when you double dip we should get some games in.

Instro

Finished this up the other day. Great game, but it is a bit long though, takes forever if your just playing arcade mode. I really didnt like how overly long some of the boss fights were as well, they have way too much health especially since in Arcade mode its so much more difficult to have upgraded weapons.

Also maybe I missed something, but the game never tells you how to pull off the advanced moves like dodging and such. I had to go online to find out.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Most of them are just press circle in some contextual situation, but yeah they could have explained it better

friend spent hours trying to dodge enemies before we realized dodge avoided bullets. Ambush was enemies lol

Dizzy-4U

Started playing today and I loved it! (I'm biased. I'm an Ishiwatari fanbot).

Really fricking hard but that's not a surprise considering "The Man" is behind it (GG Mission Mode anyone?).

Anyways, I'm not touching arcade mode for the moment until I'm more familiarized with the levels. The second one is already kicking my ass. Stupid hidden plants!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I purchased Sayuri (2nd paid DLC to get ever). She's strong and pretty useful for Arcade mode.

Shinriji

Beat the game in Rising mode, and I feel like a boss. Got on the end of the fourth stage without continues on arcade mode. Uprising is so good.

Ultros, let's play again sometimes.

ULTROS!

Shinriji said:
Beat the game in Rising mode, and I feel like a boss. Got on the end of the fourth stage without continues on arcade mode. Uprising is so good.

Ultros, let's play again sometimes.

Yes please, co-op arcade mode would be fantastic.

Dizzy-4U

Just finished Rising Mode with Krystal (bought all of her items too). Soooo good. So so good.

One complaint though: Ishi, my man, no sound test? Really? What happened to you?

I'm gonna give it a rest for a day and start playing some Arcade mode tomorrow.

Augemitbutter said:
you can reflect the green shots back with the R-weapon.
What's the strategy if I don't have that weapon?
There has to be a way to kill it with the pea shooter (otherwise there wouldn't be a trophy for doing so rite?)

I attempt to jump tho the opposite mine cart, but end up landing on top of the bullet.

Instro

_dementia said:
Arachne.

How do I kill this fucker?

The very first form I can't help but jump in to the green bullets resulting in instadeath.

Jump earlier, thats pretty much it. Also make sure to be a bit lower down on the screen so you dont hit on of the bullets that shoots out diagonally.

That boss and the very final form of the last boss are really annoying with the instant deaths.

I've been playing this in Arcade mode. Sprites are nice, but the sound design is trash (aside from the buttrock). Feels like it has as much Metal Slug in it as Contra, and I appreciate that it doesn't lift as much directly from previous games as 4 did. However, the game didn't waste any time in reminding me that I have never, ever enjoyed a vehicle segment in a Contra game. The first boss seems to be a test of how acrobatic I can be at holding my shot direction in one place while double-jumping and dashing. Kind of annoying.

I sound like I'm whining, but I'm sort of half-and-half on the game. I'll keep plugging away, as there's some good stuff in here, but it sort of feels like a beta or a homebrew game.

Vehicle sections I lock my gun backward and don't worry about shooting forward. For the bouncing enemies, lock in at a 45 degree angle backwards and that gives you a pretty solid hit rate.

I could totally live without the vehicle sections, but in the grand scheme of things they're not completely game breaking.

ULTROS!

To get the Burning Spirit trophy, do I need to play both Bahamut and Krystal?

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is going into a wrong direction, compared to contra: rebirth and contra 4?
Visually, I would have preferred a grittier look like Shattered Soldier. From a game design standpoint though, this is quite similar to Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier, which makes me happy, despite kind of hating the art.

ULTROS! said:
To get the Burning Spirit trophy, do I need to play both Bahamut and Krystal?

No, you just need an S-rank on each stage for Burning Spirit. (I assume this has to be done with 1 character, ie. you can't mix and match. Not sure about that though)

The achievement for buying all items in the shop has to be done with both characters though.

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is going into a wrong direction, compared to contra: rebirth and contra 4?

Then go play those games. Nobody is taking them away from you.

Part of the reason I initially disliked the SF4 arcade release is it was just a grotesque 3D rehash of SF2 (in terms of the initial roster). I'm not overly nostalgic for things I played to death decades ago. Those games still exist. If I want to play them, I still can. So can you.

I'm generally not a fan of ASW character designs and presentation, but this is by far my favorite game they've been behind.

Shattered Soldier felt like the gritty extension of the original Contra series, but that tanked unfortunately. Which is a shame considering the sh*t Contra fans put up with during the 32-bit era; read: Those god awful Apaloosa things calling themselves Contra games.

Top Bottom