• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Corps: Uprising |OT| - I TOLD U THIS UPRISING WAS HARD CORPS!

Dark Octave said:
Now if there is an option to remove moves we don't want so they don't get in the way, that would be perfect.

You mean like going into the Controller Settings and setting the button you don't want to use to None?

Ultros! I has a plan:
Make the banner an animated gif that has Contra appear before the game title every 5 seconds.
:D

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:
To sprint and dash? Yeah it's the same.

Double tap is the inferior option imo, but better they overload us with options instead of limiting and choosing for us.

Now if there is an option to remove moves we don't want so they don't get in the way, that would be perfect.

f60bca290e2a.jpg

The Take Out Bandit said:
You mean like going into the Controller Settings and setting the button you don't want to use to None?
Can you remove the double tap option? That would probably be the only thing I would remove.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I made two, just choose whichever you like.

2h681ub.jpg

2i8euk7.jpg

LaneDS

I never played the first Hard Corps on Genesis... did it also have the turtle boss pictured there from Contra III?

LaneDS said:
I never played the first Hard Corps on Genesis... did it also have the turtle boss pictured there from Contra III?
No. It was kind of strange. I just remember being a fat guy with some Uzi's or something. You start off in a construction site or base or something. You can choose like four people and they had stats and shit I think.

It's all hazy but I didn't really enjoy it.

I thought it was kind of strange he would put Hard Corps on Contra 3's picture.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i tried the demo and so far i am liking it. How is the online lag wise ? Since Blazblue netcode was so good, i expect this game to have no lag at all in coop but you never know.

Probably going to buy it though. And whats up with the awfull death voices.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
duckroll said:
The game on the far right is not Contra Hard Corps. Wtf!
Whoops. Must have mixed up the images.

zmyxoo.jpg

Elixist

Demo was alot of fun, controls perfect and challenging as well, would like it to be gorier though oh well. Nice job on thread TToB, the Cnet mad makes me lol.

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:
No. It was kind of strange. I just remember being a fat guy with some Uzi's or something. You start off in a construction site or base or something. You can choose like four people and they had stats and shit I think.

It's all hazy but I didn't really enjoy it.

I thought it was kind of strange he would put Hard Corps on Contra 3's picture.

If you have no way to play Contra: Hard Corps on the Genesis (Contra 1 NES and Hard Corps should've hit the VC by now...dunno what the hold up is), just watch these to get a general idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6z14xfCHV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqXhhFVqgqI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytExyGTTxcQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EqF5kWz6Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRZdyhoeB8&feature=related

Elixist said:
Demo was alot of fun, controls perfect and challenging as well, would like it to be gorier though oh well. Nice job on thread TToB, the Cnet mad makes me lol.

Cool. Cool.

Community participation is helping to fill out the OP for sure.

Holy crap the rocket gun looks amazing in the Genesis game. Such a shame it's crap in Uprising. :p

Teknoman said:
If you have no way to play Contra: Hard Corps on the Genesis (Contra 1 NES and Hard Corps should've hit the VC by now...dunno what the hold up is), just watch these to get a general idea:

Ok this is not what I played at all. I thought it was Hard Corps. Thanks for posting these.

Now I have to find it. I'll post the game I'm talking about tomorrow. I'm sure it was a Contra game and I believe it was on the Genesis.

Teknoman

Well the only fat guy I know of in Contra hard corps, was that fat hacker dude in the junkyard.

EDIT: Oh, in that case im kinda looking forward to what the game is, since it seems to remind you of Contra.

Teknoman

I cant believe no one on my friends list has made the leaderboard in the game...or does it only update scores after you beat the game?

LaneDS

Teknoman said:

Lots of really clever stuff in those videos. I'll have to actually go back and play that one day.

Dark Octave said:
To sprint and dash? Yeah it's the same.

Double tap is the inferior option imo, but better they overload us with options instead of limiting and choosing for us.

You can turn off anything you buy in the store.

Teknoman said:
Eh twin stick controls and it wouldnt be Contra. The strafe and stationary are purely situational anyway.

Contra didn't used to be about dash or special moves either. Plus this is Hard Corps anyway:)

It's just that strafe & stationary seem rather inelegant compared to a twin-stick arrangement, and so far the twin-stick Contra wannabes (i.e. Comic Jumper) have been a bit crap.

I've bought this largely to encourage Konami, but I'm not especially keen on it. :S

This is probably going to be the GOTY for me...I just don't see how anything else coming out this year is going to beat this. All I want to do is play this game, and when I am at work all I do is think about playing this game.

Dr Zhivago said:
It's just that strafe & stationary seem rather inelegant compared to a dual stick arrangement, and so far the twin-stick Contra wannabes (i.e. Comic Jumper) have been a bit crap.

I think the issue with a twin-stick configuration in Contra (or Hard Corps) is that you don't want to have complete 360 degree aiming. Part of what makes these games so good is that because you can only aim in 8 directions you are constantly having to put yourself in harm's way to get shots off. Conversely, if you used dual sticks but kept the 8-way aiming, I just don't think using an analog stick with a circular gate for digital control is going to be precise enough for a game as demanding as this one. I already screw up enough because of the 360s crap d-pad. I guess it wouldn't have hurt to have made that an option for people who wanted it.

Ashkeloth

So... I'm strongly considering buying this game since I've just remembered I have enough points lying around on my profile, but I have one worry.

Is the 360's controller terrible for this game? I bought one downloadable fighting game a while back and found it literally impossible to play due to the D-Pad on the 360 controller, and the stick just wasn't an option for me.

I was considering waiting for the PS3 version, but a month is a long time, and this game looks interesting.

So GAF, is the 360 pad enough of a hindrance to make it worthwhile to wait a month for this game, and is it playable with the analog stick if necessary?

Ashkeloth said:
So... I'm strongly considering buying this game since I've just remembered I have enough points lying around on my profile, but I have one worry.

Is the 360's controller terrible for this game? I bought one downloadable fighting game a while back and found it literally impossible to play due to the D-Pad on the 360 controller, and the stick just wasn't an option for me.

I was considering waiting for the PS3 version, but a month is a long time, and this game looks interesting.

So GAF, is the 360 pad enough of a hindrance to make it worthwhile to wait a month for this game, and is it playable with the analog stick if necessary?
This game works just fine with the analog stick. It's definitely never because of the controls that I'm dying in this game.

Salz01 said:
This thread is making the wait for the PSN version very hard. =(

It's worth the wait. You will have fun, but mostly you will have tears.

Ashkeloth said:

I'm not keen on the 360 pad, honestly I'd prefer to be playing this with a Dual Shock; but since that's impossible for me I'm using the arcade stick. Analogue sticks just aren't snappy enough for me since I use the double tap inputs and the 360 Dpad is atrocious.

Teknoman, are you playing Arcade or Rising mode? Only Arcade has leaderboards.

Diablohead said:
This game plays so much nicer on the street fighter pad for me, feels like i'm playing a classic 16 bit shooter now.

Exactly how I'm playing it.

Got through Uprising mode yesterday and planning on getting perfect scores on each stage before fully tackling arcade mode.

This game is glorious.

Castor Krieg said:
Any info when is the PSN release?

Everything I've been reading online says it's one month after the 360 release. So hopefully the middle of March.

I would use my EX2 Turbo Hori Pad for the game, but it's gone to hell in a handbasket. I've had such bad luck with that controller. :(

giggas

Dark Octave said:
Ok this is not what I played at all. I thought it was Hard Corps. Thanks for posting these.

Now I have to find it. I'll post the game I'm talking about tomorrow. I'm sure it was a Contra game and I believe it was on the Genesis.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you're thinking of Contra Force on NES? I know you said it was Genesis, but you also pick a a bunch of slow dudes in that game.

Teknoman

It's worth the wait. You will have fun, but mostly you will have tears.

I'm not keen on the 360 pad, honestly I'd prefer to be playing this with a Dual Shock; but since that's impossible for me I'm using the arcade stick. Analogue sticks just aren't snappy enough for me since I use the double tap inputs and the 360 Dpad is atrocious.

Arcade to get used to the game. Then again, I unlocked the full game kinda late last night, so I havent beat the first stage yet.

Dark Octave said:
There are several dozen platformer/action/shooters on the Genny that bear some resemblance to Contra.

If I break it down to ones I remember that focus on shooting guns and generally side-scrolling through areas (side-view, not 3/4 view) ala Contra:

Turrican
Mega Turrican
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
Rolling Thunder 2
Rolling Thunder 3
Dinosaurs for Hire
Doom Troopers: The Mutant Chronicles
Thunder Fox
Gunstar Heroes
Alien 3
The Terminator
Robocop vs. The Terminator
Atomic Robo Kid
Dick Tracy
Demolition Man
E.S.W.A.T.
Judge Dredd

There are more, but that's most of 'em that might be confused with Contra on Genesis in NA.

Ashkeloth said:

I haven't had any issues since I switched over to that new controller with twist up d-pad. On the normal pad there would be times where I would try to strafe while shooting down diagonally and the pad would be finicky, but nothing too bad.

There are leaderboards for single and multi in Arcade and Rising modes. I wish the leaderboards actually mattered, but it's pretty obvious that the people at the top of the Arcade leaderboard are point farming. My GT is Billy Crystals btw if anyone wants to add me. I was 24th overall on the Arcade leaderboard last night with what I thought was a pretty shitty run (got 2/3 of the way through stage 2). I think that was just because they only recently started working and I was one of the first people to put up a score. That or no one bought the game :(

Haha - be prepared to be trolled when you finish a stage.

I got a D ranking and the announcer is like, "It could be worse." D:

reminds me of gradius gaiden, where the announcer would constantly bully you.

digita1alchemy said:
There are leaderboards for single and multi in Arcade and Rising modes. I wish the leaderboards actually mattered, but it's pretty obvious that the people at the top of the Arcade leaderboard are point farming.

What?!

I was fooling around in the leaderboards last night to see just how badly I'm doing and didn't see the Rising rankings anywhere. I'll go back in and see if I missed something.

MjFrancis

Review from Ars Technica:

You've got to learn how to die: Ars reviews Hard Corps. Uprising

The Uprising mode converts every enemy you kill and every bonus you receive into points, which are used to buy power-ups for your character that change the play in a number of ways. More powerful weapons, more lives and continues, more abilities—by playing the game and learning the levels you'll become more powerful over time, and the compulsion to see just how high you can score will keep you playing for a very long time. It's easier to take getting killed over and over when it gains you the points needed to buy that one new thing you've had your eye on for the past hour.

If you're saying to yourself that this sounds horrible, please do not take my final verdict to heart. Stay away. But if you feel challenged, and if you're in the mood for some punishing, old-school gameplay with wonderfully modern graphics, you're going to have a good time. You'll see nods to previous Contra titles, you'll explore a variety of locations and environments, and you'll likely throw your controller once or twice. The game is never cheap, not really, but it certainly has a few points where it goes out of its way to "get" you, and those moments can be infuriating.

Final verdict was a "Buy."

I thought Konami was going to fix the scoring system before they put in leaderboards.

Oops?

Seriously nobody is going to get the top-score without some mega-farming and the only reason anyone hasn't beaten the score yet is because they're probably still farming away.

I hate to imagine it but maxed-out scores are going to start popping up eventually.

What?!

I was fooling around in the leaderboards last night to see just how badly I'm doing and didn't see the Rising rankings anywhere. I'll go back in and see if I missed something.

Yeah I forget how to switch between them, but I think it's just left or right on the d-pad when you have to have the right thing highlighted, and then the bumpers switch between tabs.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I thought Konami was going to fix the scoring system before they put in leaderboards.

Oops?

Would be nice, but I couldn't think of anything that would fix the point farming. I don't think you'd want to get rid of respawning enemies. Time limit maybe? But if they did that then it would just become a competition to maximize the amount of point farming you can do within the time limit.

EDIT: Maybe they could make it so you only get points and extend the combo chain meter for the first time you kill an enemy? I mean, the reason for respawning enemies in the first place is usually to keep pressure on you while you're focusing on some larger, more elusive target. You could still feasibly keep your combo chain alive by getting shots in on that enemy. It might work, but there are probably points in the game where this would screw up keeping your chain.

Can someone more attentive break down how the combo / scoring system works out?

I'm aware there's something going on there, but I haven't fully comprehended the details of it.

Can someone more attentive break down how the combo / scoring system works out?

I'm aware there's something going on there, but I haven't fully comprehended the details of it.

Pretty much everything you pick-up/destroy goes towards a multiplier.
This includes stuff like shrapnel from exploding enemies, weapon pods, any power-ups you grab, etc. This increases in increments of .05.

It's plausible to possibly chain entire stages as long as you don't take damage or allow the combo meter to drain. Of course the only people who will be doing that are ones looking for a real challenge(they've likely already one-lifed the game).

Unfortunately as far as I can tell as long as players allow their multiplier to empty out regularly it's all too easy to milk the system.

---

Anyway played another game online. I noticed a slight amount of input lag which I assume is due to the person I'm connected to. Also I kept getting thrown off by homing attacks because they'd target the other person instead of myself.

I also recommend at least beating the game solo in rising mode before going online. It's really annoying when my partner loses all of their lives and they keep jumping back in (which takes away from my lives) just before I kill the boss of the stage(jokes on them since a number of later bosses have multiple forms)

lol the game kicked the shit out of the Giant Bomb guys.

Didn't look as good as I had hoped, though. Still, I'll check it out when it comes to PSN... hopefully they release a damn demo as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Quick Look...wow. It looked alright once they got into it, and I like the quicksand area, but the loading. That was over a minute. Yikes.

Lyphen said:
Quick Look...wow. It looked alright once they got into it, and I like the quicksand area, but the loading. That was over a minute. Yikes.
The loading is NOT that bad on a fully working Xbox 360. It takes around 20 seconds to load a stage on my 360.

AndyMoogle said:
The loading is NOT that bad on a fully working Xbox 360. It takes around 20 seconds to load a stage on my 360.
first time I loaded up stage 1 the other day it did feel close to a minute, now though it's like 20 seconds so no idea if there is any caching going on. On a slim 360.

Top Bottom