• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

beje

Banned
Obsessed said:
Interesting. What didn't you like about it?

My experience with it has been something like...
- So, I have to shoot stuff... oh! robots! so it's not a modern military shooter :D
- Artificial Stupidity making enemies just charge towards you :\
- Corridor-like maps :/
- Destructable areas marked with big explossive barrels and cracks in the walls so big you can fit a fist on them :|
- "OMG you found a secret area" no shit sherlock, taking into account the previous point D:
- Stiff-as-hell controls, mouse felt awfully slow even on the highest sensitivity level >8U
- "Blergh"
- Quit & Uninstall

Could someone tell me if the developers resolved, in the release version, a gamepad-related issue where there is friction when trying to turn diagonally? It's as if the X and Y axis are grinding against one another when trying to turn up-left, or right-down, basically any diagonal on the analog stick. This is in the demo.

No kbm trolls, please. I prefer gamepads, especially the X360 controller. Hoping someone can tell me in the next 4-ish hours while the preorder discount is still here, because I'm getting no help from the Steam forums other than others confirming they are experiencing the same issue. The issue is too annoying for me to be able to buy this at the moment.

scitek

playoverwork said:
Could someone tell me if the developers resolved, in the release version, a gamepad-related issue where there is friction when trying to turn diagonally? It's as if the X and Y axis are grinding against one another when trying to turn up-left, or right-down, basically any diagonal on the analog stick. This is in the demo.

The problem is there in the review copy I have. Though, I can say that 95% of the combat you experience is on the same plane as you and you will rarely need to aim upward. I played with the pad for a bit and always found myself just turning left and right.

markot

Banned
Corky said:
Yeah it's just the pathetic state of "game journalism".

"Hard reset six hours long? Omg short, negative aspect of product "
" Random AAA fps game 6 hours long campaign : norm "

Ars technica Black ops review : "The single-player campaign is longer than we're used to in this sort of highly scripted action game, closer to eight hours than six, and it's incredibly enjoyable"

7~ scripted campaign with zero replayvalue? ENJOYABLE!!!!
lol, why doesnt he say 'around 7 hours' >_>

Also, by games end, do you generally have the weapons maxed out? Or is it a more 'play through again with different weapon leveling' kinda thing? Hoping for the latter!

markot said:
lol, why doesnt he say 'around 7 hours' >_>

Also, by games end, do you generally have the weapons maxed out? Or is it a more 'play through again with different weapon leveling' kinda thing? Hoping for the latter!

Scitek (or was it someone else?) mentioned he was not able to unlock all the weapons on a single playthrough.

There is also a NG+ mode that lets you carry over all your upgrades.

scitek said:
The problem is there in the review copy I have. Though, I can say that 95% of the combat you experience is on the same plane as you and you will rarely need to aim upward. I played with the pad for a bit and always found myself just turning left and right.

Thanks a bunch for letting me know. I recognize what you mean with regards to the emphasis being almost solely on horizontal movement, but it's still particularly irritating in the moments when you have to use the upgrades interface. The gamepad support in general must have been tacked on at the last minute; the total lack of a changing overlay to match gamepad button icons is forgivable, but not this. I have to wait for a discount.

scitek

Obsessed said:
Scitek (or was it someone else?) mentioned he was not able to unlock all the weapons on a single playthrough.

There is also a NG+ mode that lets you carry over all your upgrades.

It was me. No, I didn't unlock all the weapons until my second playthrough. And then there are other upgrades for combat items, like shield, health, etc. on top of that.

EDIT: Uploading my video review now.

scitek

I don't get that ars review at all. He says the game is really fun to play, but says skip it based on the story? He also dropped it to Easy...I didn't find the game to be that hard on Normal. FWH said before the game was ever shown that the story could be skipped entirely to no ill effect, and that's one of the things I like, actually.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've just played the demo and I loved it. I honestly didn't expect it to be this good. Electric mortar with time-stopping = pure win.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Stuff they changed/fixed/removed for the release version:
Ok, so what we changed after the demo.
1. Added a FOV slider in Menu>Options>Video
2. Added a Fast Menu option in the Main Menu
3. Fixed a Crash - while in game, Video Options, with any of the expandable menus open, after pressing ESC the game crashed.
4. Due to various bugs we removed the ability to use console commands FOR THE TIME BEING. When we'll deal with the bugs (mostly saving the current AI state issues) we will reimplement console commands.
5. Fixed compatibility issue with _____x1200 Vertical resolution in menus.
6. Implemented German Steam achievements.
7. Fixed various localisation issues.
8. Improved loading times between levels.
9. Added different tabs in Load Game menu for each difficulty level separately.
10 Removed the Benchmark as it was especially designed for the free Demo version. If you want we will reimplement the Benchmark in the upcoming patch.
11. Improved in-game video replay.
12. Added 6 additional checkpoints throughout the game.
13. Fixed an issue with the profile system - Video Options will now be correctly applied after changing from a Steam profile to a Local one.
14. Fixed various issues concerning level geometry.

The game is now available in English (full voiced version), German (full voiced version), Russian (full voiced version) and Polish (cinematic).

We are currently implementing a full support mode for Eyefinity/3dVision.
We are also preparing a patch that will adress some of the issues you mentioned on the forums and in the emails.

Some surprises await you in the near future, and we will support Hard Reset even after its launch.

We want to show you that WE do care about the PC gamers community and our fans.

Have fun guys and stay tuned for more info.
If you have any questions or request:
hardreset-support@flyingwildhog.com

scitek

Thanks for the comments, guys!

sykoex said:
Stuff they changed/fixed/removed for the release version:

Hopefully those checkpoints they added are good since they're removing the console for the time being.

What a fantastic review, really discussed all the issues I wanted to know about when it came to this game. Thanks a lot for doing it, and keep up the good work!

Now I wait. Release in 1 hour :(

Anyone else that prepurchased the game getting some weird issue?

When I go to All Games in my library it appears as HardReset (no space) and doesn't show an unlock date, an icon, an install button, or any news.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Obsessed said:
Anyone else that prepurchased the game getting some weird issue?

When I go to All Games in my library it appears as HardReset (no space) and doesn't show an unlock date, an icon, an install button, or any news.

same here

SLV

I am getting slightly worried, it should be already available by now, but it aint :/ And yes the same, HardReset with no buttons whatsoever, i so hope they didnt fuck up the game launch and i can play today as i was looking forward to this .

scitek

I hope they didn't break something with the update (aside from the console commands), when I loaded up the game after the update, all my controls had been wiped clean, and I had to reset them. And the ESC key isn't doing anything anymore... I emailed them about it.

EDIT: Maybe they caught what I'm talking about and are holding it until they can fix it? I dunno...

panda21

are they going to fix the key presses (and mouse wheel) not being registered thing? that was really annoying me in the demo

scitek

Must've been a problem with the patch switching from the older version or something. I just hit default on the controls and everything's fine now.

SLV

It came up on steam new releases... 2 times :D

EDIT: But it still doesnt say that i own it when going to the store page :(

The store page is fucked up.

Buy Hard Reset (RoW)

Pre-Purchase Hard Reset

SLV: Same here. I still don't own Hard Reset according to Steam. Instead I own HardReset, a game with no icons, no install button, etc...

SLV

Yeah... things just keep shifting around, just now it was only one Hard reset and Stalingrad upgrade to Deluxe, now its 2 times Hard Reset again....

Steam is not being up to its best recently :/

SLV

Someone has definetly screwed something up... Its 40 mins past launch, update or no update or patch, still, get yer Shop in order so we can actually download stuff ;_;

Stealth editor xD

I imagine the Hard Reset team on the phone with Valve going "Nonono. Not Hard Reset (RoW), just Hard Reset. And get rid of the preorder button please. No... it still isn't working." like some terrible sitcom where two people can't do a simple task because of poor communication skills.

SLV

Alright, now there is just one Hard Reset, but i still dont "own" what i paid for.

Restart your Steam guys, i just did it and it works, and the game is only 2 GB O_O.

Almost seams like the launch time was wrong, as it went to completely fine one hour after the Steam store unlock time :D

Restart your steam man, i did, and im already downloading it !

SLV said:
Alright, now there is just one Hard Reset, but i still dont "own" what i paid for.

Check again! It now says I own it!!!!

edit:

When I click Play Now nothing happens...

and it still shows HardReset in my library so I can't download it. :(

meh, maybe in another hour that problem will be fixed.

SLV

Now, just the wait for it to download, it was showing 2 GB, before download, but checking again it says 3 GB, strange

Top Bottom