• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

muteki

Putting TMS down for a bit and coming back to Miku. I may try putting the face notes on the shoulders, that probably would improve my score a bit and better to introduce myself to it sooner rather than later.

I'd have to go back to sticks for the slides, which I rather not, but if scores are better then might as well.

Managed my first extreme perfect on Levvan Polka, thanks to the fact that it has barely any combo notes.

In case this wasn't known yet: Triple notes that appear as big triangular shapes seem to always be either (triangle, square, x) or (square, x, circle). If the triangle appears on left side of the screen it will be (traingle, square, x). If it appears on the right side it will be (square, x, cross).

Kumubou

Managed my first extreme perfect on Levvan Polka, thanks to the fact that it has barely any combo notes.

In case this wasn't known yet: Triple notes that appear as big triangular shapes seem to always be either (triangle, square, x) or (square, x, circle). If the triangle appears on left side of the screen it will be (traingle, square, x). If it appears on the right side it will be (square, x, cross).
Hitting double and triple notes gets way easier once you realize there are patterns to how they are laid out, and the patterns line up with the arcade button layout.

For example, if you see a triple button press and there are no gaps between the icons, you have to hit either triangle/square/X or square/X/circle. If there is a gap, then you have to hit either triangle/square/circle or triangle/X/circle. The trick is being able to tell which one it is. :x

Same thing with double notes -- two vertical notes together is either triangle/square, square/X, or X/circle. Two verticals notes with a double gap is always triangle/circle, and so on.

Argh! Somebody please give me a compelling reason why, as a big Miku/Project DIVA fan, I shouldn't just go buy ¥9000 in Japanese PSN cards from Play Asia and import-download Future Tone right the hell now. Seems like such a silly, irresponsible way to blow almost $100 when Project DIVA X is coming out in the west in a little under two months, but I keep seeing all these GIFs and impressions and I keep thinking about the fact that PDX is apparently going to have like 30-40 songs while Future Tone has over 200, and I'm getting closer and closer to just pulling the trigger... there's very little chance of a US/European release for this, right?

I'm assuming if I love Project DIVA F and F 2nd, I'll love Future Tone too...? I played the arcade version a few times during my last trip to Japan and found I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but that was mainly due to the controller and touch slider, both of which were totally foreign to me at the time as someone who primarily just plays the DIVA games.

Decisions, decisions...

Bebpo

Banned
Argh! Somebody please give me a compelling reason why, as a big Miku/Project DIVA fan, I shouldn't just go buy ¥9000 in Japanese PSN cards from Play Asia and import-download Future Tone right the hell now. Seems like such a silly, irresponsible way to blow almost $100 when Project DIVA X is coming out in the west in a little under two months, but I keep seeing all these GIFs and impressions and I keep thinking about the fact that PDX is apparently going to have like 30-40 songs while Future Tone has over 200, and I'm getting closer and closer to just pulling the trigger... there's very little chance of a US/European release for this, right?

I'm assuming if I love Project DIVA F and F 2nd, I'll love Future Tone too...? I played the arcade version a few times during my last trip to Japan and found I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but that was mainly due to the controller and touch slider, both of which were totally foreign to me at the time as someone who primarily just plays the DIVA games.

Decisions, decisions...

Buy it :)

Decisions, decisions...

It's a bit different and controls don't work perfectly on a controller for Extreme, but it's like $0.40 per song. If you have the money to spend on it, I don't see why not. It's an incredible value.

Kumubou

Decisions, decisions...
In terms of raw mechanics and value, Future Tone blows away X and it's not really that close. However, if you're not sure you can download Future Tone Prelude from the JP PSN store for free, which is a two song demo. If you do decide that you come around on the different control scheme but you're a bit strapped on yencoins, you can just purchase the Colorful Tone pack, which is all of the songs that are either arcade-exclusive or from Project Mirai (so there would be very, very little overlap with the PSP/PS3/Vita Project Diva games).

As for the likelihood of the game coming to the US and Europe, I would put it at a coin flip. IIRC there were tweets from Project Diva's arcade version producer that ruled out a PC version but didn't do the same when asked about a US/EU release.

Any word on what's in the 1.01 patch?

grabbed a screenshot

VQW18ky.png

Mandelbo

Played Weekender Girl and got a standard on normal difficulty, which isn't quite as high as I was expecting - at the end of challenge time, do you have to press all the face buttons at once? That caught me by surprise and I fluffed the ending, which might be why I got the grade I did.

Played Weekender Girl and got a standard on normal difficulty, which isn't quite as high as I was expecting - at the end of challenge time, do you have to press all the face buttons at once? That caught me by surprise and I fluffed the ending, which might be why I got the grade I did.

Yeah playing this game for the first time is a bit of a rude awakening.

I'm used to getting Perfects on Normal and Excellents on Hard in the other Project Diva games, but in this game I can't even manage Great on most songs on Hard.

But I actually like the added difficulty. I feel like I'm being challenged in new ways that aren't cheap and I'm gradually getting better.

You do have to hit all the face buttons at one time. Well, a combination of face button and d-pad. I'd recommend to go into the button mapping menu in customization and start thinking about how you want to tackle those multi notes before you do anything else. I don't know how frequent they are on normal, but it's so much easier assigning triggers and such to alternate notes than bending your thumbs around.

muteki

Hmm, wonder if this fixes any timing issues.
Yeah, there are bugs to fix.

Also, I just got a full combo on Packaged with no holds as an experiment, and my score was 98.06%. So it is a small amount (for this song anyway), but holds do factor in to some extent to your success%/rating. If not that, maybe cool/fine ratio.

This will absolutely never get a Western release in its current form, it'd kill off sales of future games if you could get 220 songs for the same retail price as a game with 40 songs. Honestly I can't give you any good reason to avoid this game if you enjoy the Project Diva series, it's essentially a best of compilation that also has more new (to us) songs than PD X. Think of it this way, you're paying basically twice as much, but you are getting over 5x as many songs.

Update 1.01 has been released today. According to Google Translator, this patch improves some bugs in the rhythm game and other [not detailed] fixes.

Maybe they fixed the input lag that some users reported here.

Edit: Beaten lol.

miku

I haven't looked through the entire songlist yet but future sound looks as if it'll have more fun songs (it's got MMORPG addict's sprechor and nostalogic in it!) In the OP it looks like there are certain modules you can only get if you buy both packs - do you specifically have to buy the bundle to get them or is it OK if you just get both individually?

You'll still get everything if you get both individually :)

Decisions, decisions...

No reason not to buy this. Go buy it now!

SephLuis

I am learning that I shouldn't play Miku and Street Fighter one after another. My brain is starting to bug.

It's weird that after sometime I can clear songs without too much thinking. Even some on extreme. Though I end up making some very stupid mistakes.

hamchan

Decisions, decisions...

You can't pat anime girls on the head in this one.

Bebpo

Banned
Just tried Freely Tomorrow and ODDS&ENDS after the patch and the timings are still off <_<''

How so? I tried ODDS & ENDS for the first time tonight and on hard it seemed about the same as other songs. I'd miss stuff but I'd always feel it was my fault and when I was on a roll I'd hit all the notes.

Is it just on certain difficulties? I don't play at that high level of play, so just curious what's off on these songs.

Zhao_Yun

How so? I tried ODDS & ENDS for the first time tonight and on hard it seemed about the same as other songs. I'd miss stuff but I'd always feel it was my fault and when I was on a roll I'd hit all the notes.

Is it just on certain difficulties? I don't play at that high level of play, so just curious what's off on these songs.

It's not that I miss notes, but I consistently get fines instead of cools, when I am 100% certain that I hit the notes perfectly. Most noticable with Freely Tomorrow and I noticed it with Summer Idol and Yume no Tsuzuki as well yesterday.... I hope they will fix this <_<

muteki

Copying the face notes to the shoulders appeared to help my scores out last night. There is still a learning curve and some gotchas with this method (holding say L2 with your index finger then a L1 hold note comes up) but I think it is better than sticking to the face buttons.

My records say that I have 5~6 hours in and i'm just now getting to around halfway though hard.lol.

Mandelbo

Wow, I'd forgotten how strict these games are with missing notes - seems like getting a safe on even just a couple of notes can really mess with your end percentage. Still aiming for that excellent in Weekender Girl on hard.

Related: Hiroshi Utsumi of the SEGA feat HATSUNE MIKU Project is leaving SEGA today: http://info.miku.sega.jp/10039

Aaaand now I'm sad. He was always putting up sneak-peeks and stuff on Twitter (I believe that's how we got the first proper DIVA FT PS4 footage) and even acknowledged European fans asking for DIVA X to come here. Best of luck to his future.

Zhao_Yun

Wow, I'd forgotten how strict these games are with missing notes - seems like getting a safe on even just a couple of notes can really mess with your end percentage. Still aiming for that excellent in Weekender Girl on hard.

Weekender Girl is slightly off-sync, so that could be an issue as well.

Decisions, decisions...

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Hit the Purchase button. Happiness awaits beyond that Purchase button (and download progress/shipping time).

===

Anyone coming to Magical Mirai this year?

Related: Hiroshi Utsumi of the SEGA feat HATSUNE MIKU Project is leaving SEGA today: http://info.miku.sega.jp/10039

Aaaand now I'm sad. He was always putting up sneak-peeks and stuff on Twitter (I believe that's how we got the first proper DIVA FT PS4 footage) and even acknowledged European fans asking for DIVA X to come here. Best of luck to his future.

Wow, #1 left. He's been the head of Project DIVA for a very long time. Didn't see that coming.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, #1 left. He's been the head of Project DIVA for a very long time. Didn't see that coming.

Maybe he made the decision to not release Future Sound on disc in a country that's not big on digital purchase?

Either they did this because they want it to bomb and not hurt the arcade business, or this was a really moronic decision to a game that would have sold very well on a disc in Japan.

Maybe he made the decision to not release Future Sound on disc in a country that's not big on digital purchase?

Either they did this because they want it to bomb and not hurt the arcade business, or this was a really moronic decision to a game that would have sold very well on a disc in Japan.

The thing already has almost 5000 ratings on PSN and SEGA is getting way more from that 8000 Yen than they would from a disc sale. I'm sure it's doing alright.

Not really sure that is related to him leaving though.

If there's any relation to PS4 Future Tone and #1 leaving I would say it could be considered his last gift to the fans.

They're also not going to slaughter their own sales. DIVA X HD is still coming.

Woohoo, just got to #11 for yumeyume extreme. Was tearing my hair out at how many times I was messing up on easy stuff.

I also played a bit of Diva X today and it felt so different from what I remembered. And that game just came out! Future Tone changes a man.

Kipple Industry is a 9 on Extra Extreme so maybe you're thinking about that one.

That's probably it.

It's a bit different and controls don't work perfectly on a controller for Extreme, but it's like $0.40 per song. If you have the money to spend on it, I don't see why not. It's an incredible value.

In terms of raw mechanics and value, Future Tone blows away X and it's not really that close. However, if you're not sure you can download Future Tone Prelude from the JP PSN store for free, which is a two song demo. If you do decide that you come around on the different control scheme but you're a bit strapped on yencoins, you can just purchase the Colorful Tone pack, which is all of the songs that are either arcade-exclusive or from Project Mirai (so there would be very, very little overlap with the PSP/PS3/Vita Project Diva games).

As for the likelihood of the game coming to the US and Europe, I would put it at a coin flip. IIRC there were tweets from Project Diva's arcade version producer that ruled out a PC version but didn't do the same when asked about a US/EU release.

This will absolutely never get a Western release in its current form, it'd kill off sales of future games if you could get 220 songs for the same retail price as a game with 40 songs. Honestly I can't give you any good reason to avoid this game if you enjoy the Project Diva series, it's essentially a best of compilation that also has more new (to us) songs than PD X. Think of it this way, you're paying basically twice as much, but you are getting over 5x as many songs.

You'll still get everything if you get both individually :)

No reason not to buy this. Go buy it now!

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Hit the Purchase button. Happiness awaits beyond that Purchase button (and download progress/shipping time).

Dammit, you were supposed to talk me out of it! ;)

Let's be honest, though... I was always going to get it anyway as soon as I ascertained that it's still a good purchase for Miku players who like the DIVA gameplay but aren't used to Future Tone's mechanics yet. I trust MikuGAF's opinion, so even as a mid-level fan it's good to know what I'm getting into. Thanks everyone!

You can't pat anime girls on the head in this one.

Ha, I consider that an improvement! I didn't even look at the sim elements in F 2nd after futzing around with them for like an hour in F and getting bored to tears. :p I just don't get the appeal of that kind of gameplay. Though just because it isn't for me doesn't mean those elements don't resonate with a lot of other fans, so it's actually kind of a shame/surprise they're gone in that sense!

Ha, I consider that an improvement! I didn't even look at the sim elements in F 2nd after futzing around with them for like an hour in F and getting bored to tears. :p I just don't get the appeal of that kind of gameplay. Though just because it isn't for me doesn't mean those elements don't resonate with a lot of other fans, so it's actually kind of a shame/surprise they're gone in that sense!

They're only "gone" because this is a port of the arcade game. I think the Diva Room stuff (or something like it) is still in DIVA X, but that's actually the first DIVA game I haven't imported.

Tayaya

The patch seems to have fixed a LOT of the timing issues I was having with the game. I was struggling to get Greats on songs before the patch (but still loving the game). Now the Excellents are becoming more frequent and I can get a great at the very least on most songs. Big improvement, and yes I'm sure it's not just me adapting to the game.

Bebpo

Banned
so, the controller is available for pre order

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...=hatsune+miku+X$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

it states it is compatible with future tone and of course X, i want to purchase it but is this true? don't want to purchase it and then regret it.

Don't really see the point of that controller after playing the arcade game honestly. Like if I'm going to be playing with that button layout I might as well just use my DS4.

The advantage of the arcade layout is the multi-button combinations make sense because of how close/far the buttons are to each other and the slide is positioned in a good accessible spot. Why don't they just make an arcade controller that replicates the arcade layout?

Don't really see the point of that controller after playing the arcade game honestly. Like if I'm going to be playing with that button layout I might as well just use my DS4.

The advantage of the arcade layout is the multi-button combinations make sense because of how close/far the buttons are to each other and the slide is positioned in a good accessible spot. Why don't they just make an arcade controller that replicates the arcade layout?

There's a switch on the controller that changes the controls around to match the arcade layout. The controller is designed that way so it can be used to play both Future Tone and the mainline series.

There were also larger controllers that came closer to arcade accuracy, but one was not announced for Future Tone. Here's a video of me using the old one using an adapter. Note this controller similarly has been designed for use for both the main series and for Arcade.

Tenshi

Neo Member
There's a switch on the controller that changes the controls around to match the arcade layout. The controller is designed that way so it can be used to play both Future Tone and the mainline series.

There were also larger controllers that came closer to arcade accuracy, but one was not announced for Future Tone. Here's a video of me using the old one using an adapter. Note this controller similarly has been designed for use for both the main series and for Arcade.

Looks like I need to get myself a Brook converter for mine. From the video, it looked like you didn't really have much of a problem with input lag.

Kumubou

Looks like I need to get myself a Brook converter for mine. From the video, it looked like you didn't really have much of a problem with input lag.
The Brook converter adds about one frame of input delay (~18ms), which can then be mitigated with the in game adjustments.

Just watch out as the in-game tool adjusts the audio delay, not the in-game timing windows. (You can verify this by turning the audio off, setting the timing adjustment to -150 and trying to play visually) I suspect they changed how this works due to some "fun" interactions between latency adjustments and game mechanics that have existed since Project Diva F (the first version with an in-game timing adjustment).

I wouldn't take my timing in that video as an indication of anything, because for reasons I'd rather not get into I've been playing largely using Remote Play to Vita, which fubars the timing pretty bad. It could be that I'm just timing crazy weird and whatever lag the Brook introduces just happens to match.

The Brook converter adds about one frame of input delay (~18ms), which can then be mitigated with the in game adjustments.

Just watch out as the in-game tool adjusts the audio delay, not the in-game timing windows. (You can verify this by turning the audio off, setting the timing adjustment to -150 and trying to play visually) I suspect they changed how this works due to some "fun" interactions between latency adjustments and game mechanics that have existed since Project Diva F (the first version with an in-game timing adjustment).

Well, that's irritating. I've been trying to calibrate visually since I'm already using an HDMI audio extractor to minimize audio lag. I suppose it should work out in the end but I guess that means I have to be certain I'm not following the audio prompts in the calibration tool.

It's also worth noting the three Dreamy Theater releases predate F, but the timing adjustment for those releases was very different.

Tenshi

Neo Member
I wouldn't take my timing in that video as an indication of anything, because for reasons I'd rather not get into I've been playing largely using Remote Play to Vita, which fubars the timing pretty bad. It could be that I'm just timing crazy weird and whatever lag the Brook introduces just happens to match.

Well, that's irritating. I've been trying to calibrate visually since I'm already using an HDMI audio extractor to minimize audio lag. I suppose it should work out in the end but I guess that means I have to be certain I'm not following the audio prompts in the calibration tool.

It's also worth noting the three Dreamy Theater releases predate F, but the timing adjustment for those releases was very different.

Point noted. In the back of my mind I was also thinking that you were also just used to whatever wonky timing offset the converter may been creating, and you were just adjusted to it.

Top Bottom