• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

macklelol

Finally got around to clearing everything on Hard lol. My info page says I have 40 hours played in the rhythm game, I wonder how much of that is me just playing Den Paradigm and Sadistic Music Factory lol.

Also it would be nice to have some sort of BPM counter for the songs, unless I'm missing something here.

Refna

I wonder what is the max lvl. I have 40 something perfect in extreme and i am sitting at 38/37 lvls, think it will be over 40 if one can perfect all songs (quite sad max lvl isn't 39).

macklelol

I wonder what is the max lvl. I have 40 something perfect in extreme and i am sitting at 38/37 lvls, think it will be over 40 if one can perfect all songs (quite sad max lvl isn't 39).

Looking at the leaderboards, I don't see anyone with a level over 39/39, so no reason to be sad lol.

Kumubou

Ahh, so they put a cap at 39. Nice.
Of course they did. :x

For what it's worth, I've seen people at rank 39 with overall achievement rates on Extreme in the 70s, so you definitely don't need to perfect every song. Hell, you could probably do it without touching any 10s or 9.5s (especially since perfecting a song on Hard gets you most of the rank points available for a song anyway).

Refna

Of course they did. :x

For what it's worth, I've seen people at rank 39 with overall achievement rates on Extreme in the 70s, so you definitely don't need to perfect every song. Hell, you could probably do it without touching any 10s or 9.5s (especially since perfecting a song on Hard gets you most of the rank points available for a song anyway).

I perfected every song on easy, normal and hard already before starting on extremes, i remember that put me to early 30s.
After that, perfecting a song on extreme still gave me a chunks of exp (may be around 5% or so). Getting excellent also net me small amount of xp, but great or below have no exp.
I am at 38/37 with 40s perfect, so 70s seems about right.

Interestingly, on extra extreme, excellent give no exp, no idea if perfect in extra extreme have exp.

TP

Oh boy

the leap in difficulty between 7.5 and 8 extreme on my favorites list

9XaZKe8.gif

yyr

Some small aesthetic differences can make a huge difference.

I only noticed after playing the Project DIVA X demo that Future Tone does something the old Dreamy Theater games also did: all note icons have drop shadows, so they're easier to see against the PVs.

When Project DIVA f launched on PS3, I could not understand why they removed the drop shadows. They also made the note icons smaller. PDX goes right back to that awful combination, and gameplay suffers as a result: playing the Normal chart of the fastest of the 3 songs offered, there was a point around 1/3 of the way through where the icons were impossible to see against the brightly-colored PV. My eyes completely lost focus and I missed a few notes.

I don't think I can ever go back. I now have zero interest in PDX.

Kumubou

Some small aesthetic differences can make a huge difference.

I only noticed after playing the Project DIVA X demo that Future Tone does something the old Dreamy Theater games also did: all note icons have drop shadows, so they're easier to see against the PVs.

When Project DIVA f launched on PS3, I could not understand why they removed the drop shadows. They also made the note icons smaller. PDX goes right back to that awful combination, and gameplay suffers as a result: playing the Normal chart of the fastest of the 3 songs offered, there was a point around 1/3 of the way through where the icons were impossible to see against the brightly-colored PV. My eyes completely lost focus and I missed a few notes.

I don't think I can ever go back. I now have zero interest in PDX.
I really don't get the presentation changes in the actual rhythm game between the arcade and console games. The arcade games are far easier to read due to those changes (and the faster scroll speeds, although I think some of that is due to the notes being bigger) and I don't really get why they would get rid of that. I wonder if the changes are to accommodate the Vita versions for one reason or another.

That and the random quality-of-life changes in the PS4 version of PDFT (training mode, more streamlined interface, leaderboards) that aren't in X just make it really hard to go back.

ChrisD

I'm still playing X while I wait on my Mini Controller. You guys are kind of making me wonder if I ought to spend the next two weeks playing tons of X so that FT doesn't "ruin" my fun with the game. Though without Satisfaction, Ultimate Medley, Chaos Medley, Love Trial, Envy Hide-and-Seek and a few others I don't know the name of being playable in FT, I definitely see it still getting played.

In all honesty I like all of the games; even Project Mirai has grown on me in the past month and I was pretty down on it at launch (No Extreme difficulty is still a disappointing, but I put too much weight on it in my enjoyment). I feel like one of the few people who still looks forward to the "new" stuff/is still enjoying my older games. Maybe my tone will change when I finally get to play FT with a controller layout I'm more accustomed to, but I don't think it will be enough to change my opinion of every game prior to one more negative.

Mandelbo

That and the random quality-of-life changes in the PS4 version of PDFT (training mode, more streamlined interface, leaderboards) that aren't in X just make it really hard to go back.

This is what really gets me. How has a practice mode not been in these games before? It's so, so helpful, and that it's not in X is really strange to me. I completely agree that all these changes are making it difficult for me to go back to the older ones, let alone X.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you all deal with physical limitations of mashing buttons non-stop on the highest difficulty songs? I was doing one of the high speed million note 8 difficulty hard songs and my arm basically seized up at the forearm from all the non-stop mashing of the face buttons with my right thumb. If there's a monster hunter-like good way to hold the controller for the toughest songs?

Mandelbo

How do you all deal with physical limitations of mashing buttons non-stop on the highest difficulty songs? I was doing one of the high speed million note 8 difficulty hard songs and my arm basically seized up at the forearm from all the non-stop mashing of the face buttons with my right thumb. If there's a monster hunter-like good way to hold the controller for the toughest songs?

When the notes get too fast to reliably hit with one hand, I use both hands to drum the buttons instead, so even though the notes are still coming in fast you're essentially moving half as quickly, which makes things much easier. This was very helpful with Intense Singing on hard mode!

Roubjon

You have to use two hands.

Wonko_C

The original arcade machine only has 4 buttons so I think dual-wielding on the controller is kind of "cheating" a bit. (Translation: I'm salty because I can't dual-wield to save my life, no matter how much I practice) :p

I could perfect every song on Hard in PDf on the Vita with only my right thumb but now I can't keep up with something like NegaPosi on Normal. I want to say te PSVita face buttons are better than the DS4's but why would they be? They're just buttons.

ChrisD

I could perfect every song on Hard in PDf on the Vita with only my right thumb but now I can't keep up with something like NegaPosi on Normal. I want to say te PSVita face buttons are better than the DS4's but why would they be? They're just buttons.

The Vita's buttons are more responsive than DS3/DS4. Less inherent lag between inputting an action and getting a response, and they're also clicky instead of mushy.

muteki

This makes sense and is fine for the arcade or a joystick, but how is it even possible to two-hand mash a tiny face button on a DS4?

You don't have the arrow mapped to the face buttons as well? So if you had a big string of X notes you could just alternate X, down, X, down, just like the handheld/other console games.

Kumubou

This makes sense and is fine for the arcade or a joystick, but how is it even possible to two-hand mash a tiny face button on a DS4?
You can double-bind (or even triple-bind or use whatever combination you want) inputs. The default layout lets you hit right on the d-pad for circle, down for X, and so on, and you can adjust the button configuration to whatever you want (which is nice if you want to change the multi-button bindings or if you are using a non-standard controller).

On that note, you can also throw in the multiple note skins and fully reconfigurable controls as more QOL things in PDFT that haven't made it to other games in the series for Reasons. (OK, Project Mirai lets you change the note skin, which is really useful after spending 10 years playing other games on a X360 pad.)

SephLuis

Using both hands, alternate the inputs.

So if you are going to mash circle you are going to input: circle, right, circle, right, circle.

I even use R/L depending on what I am holding in the moment.

Bebpo

Banned
Using both hands, alternate the inputs.

So if you are going to mash circle you are going to input: circle, right, circle, right, circle.

I even use R/L depending on what I am holding in the moment.

Oooooooh, wow. Never thought of that. Makes sense and will mess around with it.

TP

The original arcade machine only has 4 buttons so I think dual-wielding on the controller is kind of "cheating" a bit. (Translation: I'm salty because I can't dual-wield to save my life, no matter how much I practice) :p

Arcade players can use both hands to drum a single button
something we can't do with our tiny buttons so it evens out

--

I didn't want to map multiple buttons to a single but higher difficulty songs are a struggle without it

right now i've got all 4 face buttons mapped to L1 which I use for holds
works for single, double, triple, and quad. I hold down the face button then hold L1 and then release the face button.

i've also got a triple mapped to r1
that one I swap depending on the song

ChrisD

Arcade players can use both hands to drum a single button
something we can't do with our tiny buttons so it evens out

--

I didn't want to map multiple buttons to a single but higher difficulty songs are a struggle without it

right now i've got all 4 face buttons mapped to L1 which I use for holds
works for single, double, triple, and quad. I hold down the face button then hold L1 and then release the face button.

i've also got a triple mapped to r1
that one I swap depending on the song

While true (2:06), everyone I've seen playing EX Extreme at our Round1 tends to actually play like this guy at this point in the vid (2:25 - same video, just different timestamp). It blows my mind every time I stumble across one of them on the machine.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssss beat every song on HARD after a couple months playing each day wooooooohoooooooooo

Toughest final song to finish? Magical Sound Shower ;_; Nyanyanya was kind of rough too. When I first started playing double notes were super hard, then triple notes were super hard, finally after 20 hours of playing I can handle a song like nyanyanya where double/triple notes are constantly interspersed at varying tempos nonstop. Feels good!

In the end out of the 224 songs, I liked (hearted) about 70, so that's a pretty good amount. Gonna stick to those mostly now and improving scores and doing extreme.

Definitely can't go back to 30 song Miku games after this. I see why they wanted this to flop, it's totally going to kill the future of miku standalone game sales. What they should do at this point is just release new songs as DLC for 300 yen a song + costume. Adopt a Rock Band model with a song release or two a week instead of standalone games. They'd make just as much (30 song s x 300yen = 9000yen, more than a 6800yen standalone game) and it'd keep Future Sound players happy with one giant database of songs that grows constantly.

But of course they're just ignore Future Sound and keep releasing disc versions and the sales will probably drop a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm still on the fence about ordering the controller. I know it will work with FT and X, but I'm not 100% sure I NEED it. I mean, I don't NEED any of this shit, but if it will make the game more enjoyable...

ChrisD

I'm still on the fence about ordering the controller. I know it will work with FT and X, but I'm not 100% sure I NEED it. I mean, I don't NEED any of this shit, but if it will make the game more enjoyable...

Don't have a MiniCon for PS3 and obviously can't tell you any opinions on the PS4 one yet, but I'm looking at using a DS4 on this game as a very similar situation to playing Donkey Konga.

But without Bongos.

Sure, the game is still playable and fun, but it's exponentially better with Bongos!
Though the pricing was a lot cheaper on those, so... Guess I'm just thinking out loud here.

muteki

I'm looking forward to it. I've never played using a arcade/arcade-style controller so for me it will be almost a completely different game.

Though I'll probably suck at it more than I usually do once I try it out.

Mandelbo

Getting close to the 72 hour mark... Got my first 8-star extreme perfect yesterday with Promise!

Having looked through the extreme maps a bit more some of them really do look terrifying to play on the DS4 xD

Jhn

Did they fix the timing of Negaposi and others with the last patch?
I hadn't tried them in a while, and now they seem fine.

Tenshi

Neo Member
One thing that I immediately notice about this controller is how quite the buttons are. I suspect HORI used the same noise dampening technique here that they used in their Hayabusa Kai fight stick. The buttons are also really responsive. Not sure if the controller is using the Kuro style buttons though.

ChrisD

As a lazy sucker who still hasn't gone back to his Japanese learning... Anyone care to help me in finding out what the Function button on the top-left does? The manual makes mention of it multiple times.. ^^;

I didn't know that there would be a PS3/PS4 switch on the thing, that's awesome! I was kind of hoping it would be compatible with the older stuff, but wasn't betting too much on it. Didn't want to get my hopes up! And this may have actually been something everyone else already knew about, but I didn't haha.

I feel like I'm a new player, just learning the controls again, but I'm loving the feel of the buttons' feedback. They also make just enough noise to sound great to my ears. You can hear them being pressed, but they're not too loud.

As a lazy sucker who still hasn't gone back to his Japanese learning... Anyone care to help me in finding out what the Function button on the top-left does? The manual makes mention of it multiple times.. ^^;

It assigns the controller layout. Apparently there are three Future Tone-centric layouts possible:

vadPUFc.png

ChrisD

It assigns the controller layout. Apparently there are three Future Tone-centric layouts possible:

vadPUFc.png

Ah, thanks! So I just hit the Function button (+ Options maybe, from the look of things in the manual) to swap them over?

I was getting befuddled even more than the manual already made me, as I'm playing F and F2nd with it right now. The button seemingly wasn't doing anything when pressed alone, or in combination or sequence with other stuff. Guess it would kind of make sense if it only functions on PS4 mode.

Edit: Aha! You have to hold down the Function button and Options. That makes a lot more sense than a quick tap of either lol! You can use it on PS3 mode as well. Will have to print out those graphs you posted to get the buttons in mind, though. Actually that does something, but not precisely what I thought, and seemingly nothing on PS3. Trial-and-error (and actually plugging it into the PS4 at some point), I'll have this thing figured out before the day's over. :p

muteki

I'm guessing the physical button labels can't be swapped around short of opening the case up and moving each button assembly around?

First DLC pack for the game has been announced!

Out in September, it will include 4 songs:
- Age Age Again
- Shake It
- Cendrillon
- Adolescence

+ their respective modules.
I'm also reading about a possible Season Pass, but no additional info about it as of now.

Top Bottom