• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

Here's how to map the buttons. There are no presets as far as I can tell, the assignments shown in the image are just suggestions. When mapping buttons you need to be on the PS4 switch.

Set button

Hold assign button for 3 seconds (Top LED lights up red)
While LED is red - Hold button you want to change for 3 seconds (Top LED blinks)
While LED is blinking - Hold button you want it to be assigned to for 3 seconds
Bottom LED lights up green

Unset single button

Hold assign button for 3 seconds (Both LED lights up)
While LEDs are lit - Hold button you want to unassign for 3 seconds
LED starts blinking
While LED is blinking, hold the same button for 3 seconds
Red LED will go dead

Reset to default

Hold assign button for 3 seconds
Top LED lights up red
While LED is lit - Hold start/options button for 5 seconds

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask.

Tenshi

Neo Member
Here's how to map the buttons. There are no presets as far as I can tell, the assignments shown in the image are just suggestions. When mapping buttons you need to be on the PS4 switch.

Set button

Hold assign button for 3 seconds (Top LED lights up red)
While LED is red - Hold button you want to change for 3 seconds (Top LED blinks)
While LED is blinking - Hold button you want it to be assigned to for 3 seconds
Bottom LED lights up green

Unset single button

Hold assign button for 3 seconds (Both LED lights up)
While LEDs are lit - Hold button you want to unassign for 3 seconds
LED starts blinking
While LED is blinking, hold the same button for 3 seconds
Red LED will go dead

Reset to default

Hold assign button for 3 seconds
Top LED lights up red
While LED is lit - Hold start/options button for 5 seconds

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask.

Excellent instructions. Thank you very much for clearing this up. Worked perfectly.

ChrisD

Could probably put that as a quote in the first post, very clear and concise.

Though since most people don't read OPs anyways and would ask regardless.. perhaps it will be easier to just reply to anyone asking about how it works with your post. Save the middle step, lol.

So no presets. A tad puzzling, but I definitely like being able to set stuff up exactly how I want. Full control is always a nice option.

muteki

Just had a chance to open the box before I had to run off, but controller seems really well made. Nice solid construction and a metal base, but not very noisy. Surprised it doesn't sound hollow or as if you are hitting a plastic bin when pressing the buttons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Having played a LOT more the past few days, I've come up with a good number of questions (sorry for the unsorted nature - I'm just puking them out as I go):

• Unrelated to how much I've been playing, Is there a date on that DLC coming up?
  • Any good songs to practice 2 and 3 note combos? I have such a hard time reading them.
  • On the song select screen, what are all the kana along the top for? I see a few I recognize (a and ka specifically), but I have no idea what they're for.
  • Silly question, but anyone who is super familiar with the entire song library want to help me find more songs like Equation+** and 炉心融解 (Roshin Yuukai) | Meltdown? I'm working my way through all the songs and tend to favorite everything by Rin or stuff that's super pop-y.
  • When I select a song, what are the various options available there? I always have the top set to "Off" and leave the rest as default.
  • Do I need to play Easy and Normal or can I just do Hard and Extreme? I don't think I've played a Normal or Easy song yet.
  • What's the max percentage you can score? I think I've got close to 101% but figured it can go a good chunk higher.
  • Can I sort by unplayed? I think I found this by hitting square and finding a header of N, C, G, E, P. I assume N is "not played"?
  • I hit square and notice that the songs keep changing with a bunch of sort options? Kaito, Meiko, and a bunch of other ones I can't read. I also noticed a few Extra Extreme tracks. What am I toggling here?

muteki

At the top (a, ka, sa, ta, etc) are there in the Japanese equivalent of "alphabetical order" and are there to help you find songs in the long list. Somewhat like the words at the top of the pages in dictionaries. If you know the first syllable of your song title starts with a t for example, it would be listed under the kana for ta. After that it would be sorted by a, i, u, e, o iirc.

Roubjon

Having played a LOT more the past few days, I've come up with a good number of questions (sorry for the unsorted nature - I'm just puking them out as I go):

• Unrelated to how much I've been playing, Is there a date on that DLC coming up?

I'm not sure!

• Any good songs to practice 2 and 3 note combos? I have such a hard time reading them.

I know the song Blackjack has a bunch of them, but most Extreme songs have a section where they are present.

• On the song select screen, what are all the kana along the top for? I see a few I recognize (a and ka specifically), but I have no idea what they're for.

Was just answered!

• Silly question, but anyone who is super familiar with the entire song library want to help me find more songs like Equation+** and 炉心融解 (Roshin Yuukai) | Meltdown? I'm working my way through all the songs and tend to favorite everything by Rin or stuff that's super pop-y.

I'd recommend some songs but I honesty never know the name of the songs I'm playing lol.

• When I select a song, what are the various options available there? I always have the top set to "Off" and leave the rest as default.

I know that's where you could switch to PV mode, where you just watch the video, as well as Practice mode, where you can skip around and practice whatever part you want to over and over again.

• Do I need to play Easy and Normal or can I just do Hard and Extreme? I don't think I've played a Normal or Easy song yet.

Don't see why you'd ever bother with them, I know I haven't touched it. It's annoying that I have to clear Hard before unlocking Extreme to be honest.

• What's the max percentage you can score? I think I've got close to 101% but figured it can go a good chunk higher.

I've gotten 103% on a song before, I'm not sure if there is a cap.

• Can I sort by unplayed? I think I found this by hitting square and finding a header of N, C, G, E, P. I assume N is "not played"?
  • I hit square and notice that the songs keep changing with a bunch of sort options? Kaito, Meiko, and a bunch of other ones I can't read. I also noticed a few Extra Extreme tracks. What am I toggling here?

I think you are toggling which songs feature which characters. I always just sort it by star difficulty.

I added my answers above!

macklelol

Bah, my mini controller hasn't come in yet. Tracking says it hasn't even arrived in Hawaii yet. This sucks.

It should be next month, based on the image posted earlier in the thread. Dunno how legitimate it is though.

I like Absolunote, slow tempo (sorta) throughout the song and has a lot of chords to hit.

For the menus for the rhythm game options:
    First option will allow you to continue playing the song even if you run out of life. You can still fail.
    Second option turns on modifiers. There's Hi-Speed, Hidden, and Sudden. Hi-Speed is exactly what it sounds like. Hidden makes the notes disappear when they get close to the target. Sudden makes the targets appear one beat before they need to be hit, instead of four. I'm pretty sure that's what they do, I don't have my game on right now to check.
    Third option lets you change the vocal track to a different Vocaloid. Although only a handful of songs have this feature.

No real reason to. Not every song has a Easy or Normal chart, while every song has a Hard and Extreme chart.

I think it's dependent on the song, but the max should be over 105%. You can get something like an extra 5% from Hold Bonuses, so songs with few holds might not get the full 5%.

Like you said, you're just changing up the sort method lol. There's sorting by alphabetical, clear ranking, difficulty, and Vocaloids featured. Extra Extreme is an additional difficulty (not necessarily above Extreme) given to older songs to get them up to date with the newer Arcade mechanics.

Some answers above.

Kumubou

The max achievement rate is roughly 101% for Easy and 106% for other difficulties. The scores seemingly are all calibrated for 101% for a full cool combo, but you can then get up to an extra 5% from holds... but Easy has no holds at all and not every song (especially on Extreme and EX Extreme) has enough holds to get the full 5%. I say roughly because the highest score I've gotten on Hard/Extreme is 105.95%, and that was with 3 fines. And with there being a roughly .06% difference for every fine on that song (105.65% at 8 fines, 105.77% at 6 fines, and 105.95% at 3 fines), it looks like the rate for all cools would have been ~106.13%. I actually have gotten 100% cools before on an Easy song, and it came out to 100.94%... huh?

As for songs to practice double/triple notes on, I would just take a look at any of the 6 or 6.5 difficulty Extreme songs, as they tend to have a healthy amount of double patterns but at very slow speeds. It helps a lot once you learn that they have some display patterns.

The medal sort (N, C, G, E, P) sorts by clear state, so N will include both songs you haven't played and songs you have played but haven't passed yet. However, this then sub-sorts by achievement rate, so you will find all of the unplayed songs first (with the percentage score dashed out), followed by songs you played but haven't cleared yet.

Silly question, but anyone who is super familiar with the entire song library want to help me find more songs like Equation+** and 炉心融解 (Roshin Yuukai) | Meltdown? I'm working my way through all the songs and tend to favorite everything by Rin or stuff that's super pop-y.

Melancholic
Sweet Magic
Like the Wind
Iroha Song
Shinkai City Underground
Mousou Sketch (Rin version)

...Actually, it's going to be a whole other step to find the Japanese titles of these in the list.

Mandelbo

Pressing square toggles how songs are sorted on the main menu, the default being alphabetical order. You can also sort by difficulty, rating attained, and by vocaloid - so when you had U, C, G, E, P along the top, you were sorting by the grade you've gotten on them, with U referring to ungraded songs. Personally I stick with sorting by grade because I find it the most useful view.

Also, if you're sorting by vocaloid and find a song that seems like it's in the wrong category (having a Miku song under the Rin category for instance,) it means you can change the main singer for the song, like with Sing & Smile and Tricolore Airlines.

SHarris78

As I'm rubbish and tend to play on normal difficulty, it's just occurred to me that I've missed out on playing the other 8 songs. Can any kind soul tell me what they are or how to find them?

Mandelbo

As I'm rubbish and tend to play on normal difficulty, it's just occurred to me that I've missed out on playing the other 8 songs. Can any kind soul tell me what they are or how to find them?

For whatever reason, some songs don't have a normal mode, but still have an easy mode and hard mode:

Strobo Knights
Packaged
Hato
Last Night, Good Night
VOC@LOID in Love
Far Away
Song of Life
The Rebel

To play these you'll need to play on anything that's not normal - all of them have fairly low star ratings on hard though!

miku

For whatever reason, some songs don't have a normal mode, but still have an easy mode and hard mode:

Strobo Knights
Packaged
Hato
Last Night, Good Night
VOC@LOID in Love
Far Away
Song of Life
The Rebel

To play these you'll need to play on anything that's not normal - all of them have fairly low star ratings on hard though!

In case you need it in Japanese :p

- いのちの歌 (Inochi no Uta) | Song of Life
- 恋スルVOC@LOID (Koisuru VOC@LOID) | VOC@LOID in Love
- ストロボナイツ (Strobo Nights)
- Packaged
- ハト (Hato) | Pigeon
- ひねくれ者 (Hinekure Mono) | The Rebel
- Far Away
- Last Night, Good Night

muteki

It was bugging me not having the symbols match up to the re-maps especially outside of the game so I moved my buttons around. Placed the arrows where I think they made most sense and currently using them for slides as I was having trouble getting to the sticks.
NY5keCQ.jpg
It feels like I need to readjust the calibration a bit with the newer controller and I think I have it close, but now the auto calibrate is giving me numbers way off from before. So just going by feel I've moved from -16 to -14 and may readjust some more as time goes on.

Also feels like I need to re-learn the game from scratch, as apparently my left hand only has accurate rhythm when doing alternate notes, so I'm kinda stuck in bootcamp with the controller now doing Normals and lower level Hards. Hold notes and combinations feel great though.

It was bugging me not having the symbols match up to the re-maps especially outside of the game so I moved my buttons around.
Was that easy to do? As in, unscrew a few screws, move buttons around, screw everything back?
I'm not really good with this sort of things :p

muteki

Was that easy to do? As in, unscrew a few screws, move buttons around, screw everything back?
I'm not really good with these sorts of things :p
Took about 10 minutes. Need Phillips screwdriver for the silver screws on the back. Disconnect the wires from the switches (heatshrinked quick connects, just pull off vertically) themselves noting which color wires went where, and the buttons pop out from behind by pressing two plastic tabs in. Move the buttons wherever you like and reconnect the wires as before, and you are done.

It's theoretically possible to swap only the caps but it's a bit easier to swap the entire button. Just make sure you're not pushing on the transparent tabs in the button itself if you don't want the cap to come off; if you do remove the cap, the spring will come out with it, and you'll need to make sure the cap is oriented to match the switch when putting it back in.

If you do any swapping I'd suggest moving the associated color wires to match so that the controller's default configuration matches what is physically shown. I won't be able to confirm this until tomorrow unless someone gives me a good photo of the inside, but I suspect you only need to actually move the colored wire and the black wires can go wherever if cable length is a problem.

muteki

It's theoretically possible to swap only the caps but it's a bit easier to swap the entire button. If you do any swapping I'd suggest moving the associated color wires to match so that the controller's default configuration matches what is physically shown. I won't be able to confirm this until tomorrow unless someone gives me a good photo of the inside, but I suspect you only need to actually move the colored wire and the black wires can go wherever if cable length is a problem.

I'm not sure if there is enough existing wire in the case to move the buttons and keep the default assignments. Mine was pretty tidy inside and i'm not sure say, taking triangle from top right to far left would reach.

I was pressed for time though and didn't want break the zip ties or get my other tools out, so I'm still using the custom button mapping. It remembers the mapping after disconnecting the controller, so the only downside I see is if the glowy green light bothers you or if you want to try the controller on other games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What kind of switches are in the controller? Is it worth upgrading to sanwas? I did that on my IIDX ASC but not my Pop'n ASC years back. Can't really remember if it was worth the cost or not...

Took about 10 minutes. Need Phillips screwdriver for the silver screws on the back. Disconnect the wires from the switches (heatshrinked quick connects, just pull off vertically) themselves noting which color wires went where, and the buttons pop out from behind by pressing two plastic tabs in. Move the buttons wherever you like and reconnect the wires as before, and you are done.
OK, thanks for the pointers. That should be easy to do, even for myself.
Gonna have to check the cable length to see where I can connect the buttons.

What kind of switches are in the controller? Is it worth upgrading to sanwas? I did that on my IIDX ASC but not my Pop'n ASC years back. Can't really remember if it was worth the cost or not...

Switch/spring configurations are really important in IIDX so that's definitely money well spent there. The DIVA controllers are sort of different beasts though; I again need photos of the interior to confirm anything about the DIVA X controller, but I've spoken at length about the previous controllers and what can be done to change switches on them:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94733632
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95071039

What these posts don't say is that the switch resistance on the OBS-M-1 is much higher than the switches used in the actual arcade machines I later had a chance to play on. I want to say that an arcade accurate setup probably uses high resistance springs and low resistance switches - I'm currently thinking 200 G spring and 50 G switch - but unfortunately the OBS-M-1 actually uses rivets to secure the microswitch and they have to be drilled out and replaced with a nut/bolt/washer. I have the switches and springs on hand (ordered from Sanwa Denshi's shop on Rakuten.jp) but it may be weeks to months before I know how well they work in the Hori controller's custom buttons.

I'm not sure if there is enough existing wire in the case to move the buttons and keep the default assignments. Mine was pretty tidy inside and i'm not sure say, taking triangle from top right to far left would reach.

I was pressed for time though and didn't want break the zip ties or get my other tools out, so I'm still using the custom button mapping. It remembers the mapping after disconnecting the controller, so the only downside I see is if the glowy green light bothers you or if you want to try the controller on other games.

They definitely didn't reach in some cases on the old controllers, but there are stupid ways around that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96174454

EDIT: There have been a couple DIVA X posts in here, even though this is the Future Tone thread. There's a DIVA X OT now (and there was an Import OT before that) so posts about DIVA X should really go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271185

A thread index has also been added to this thread's first reply.

Zenaku

Finally got my mini-controller; it had to be a bank holiday weekend, didn't it?

It was bugging me not having the symbols match up to the re-maps especially outside of the game so I moved my buttons around. Placed the arrows where I think they made most sense and currently using them for slides as I was having trouble getting to the sticks.

It feels like I need to readjust the calibration a bit with the newer controller and I think I have it close, but now the auto calibrate is giving me numbers way off from before. So just going by feel I've moved from -16 to -14 and may readjust some more as time goes on.

Also feels like I need to re-learn the game from scratch, as apparently my left hand only has accurate rhythm when doing alternate notes, so I'm kinda stuck in bootcamp with the controller now doing Normals and lower level Hards. Hold notes and combinations feel great though.

I've tried this config myself, and while I know it's similar to the horizontal layout used in the arcade I don't like it on this controller. The space between horizontal buttons is far too wide (one reason I hated the DS3/4 compared to the Vita/3DS) and it makes holding notes rather awkward for me.

I currently have it set with Triangle as O, Square as X, Right as Square and Up as Triangle, in an upside down trapezium, with the other buttons set to the slides.

I've tried this config myself, and while I know it's similar to the horizontal layout used in the arcade I don't like it on this controller. The space between horizontal buttons is far too wide (one reason I hated the DS3/4 compared to the Vita/3DS) and it makes holding notes rather awkward for me.

I currently have it set with Triangle as O, Square as X, Right as Square and Up as Triangle, in an upside down trapezium, with the other buttons set to the slides.

That is sort of the point though; as wide as the spacing might seem on the mini controller, it isn't nearly as wide as it is on the arcade. But despite that, the controller still restricts you to at most two inputs with a single hand, just like the arcade. It's actually a fairly decent compromise that still trains you in a way that you might carry over some muscle memory to the real thing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That is sort of the point though; as wide as the spacing might seem on the mini controller, it isn't nearly as wide as it is on the arcade. But despite that, the controller still restricts you to at most two inputs with a single hand, just like the arcade. It's actually a fairly decent compromise that still trains you in a way that you might carry over some muscle memory to the real thing.

Thanks for the info on the switches. I'll have to keep an eye on how I want to proceed with mine once I get it.

On this, are you saying you can't hit triples or quads with one hand? Is each set of 4 buttons limited to 2 simultaneous presses?

muteki

This is an interesting idea too, and I might still do something different with the top 2/bottom two buttons but for right now I'm liking them for the slides. Much better than the sticks anyway, glad to be rid of them.

I think holds work much better on the mini controller and creates some interesting situations where I may be holding square with my left and I have to cross over and hit triangle with my right, etc. With the controller similar situations were really cumbersome.

Also with what little time I had last night I encountered a couple 3-button combos right after each other and nailed both of them, which rarely happened before on the controller for me, so I'd say that is an improvement.

Thanks for the info on the switches. I'll have to keep an eye on how I want to proceed with mine once I get it.

On this, are you saying you can't hit triples or quads with one hand? Is each set of 4 buttons limited to 2 simultaneous presses?

I mean, just take a look at the controls and tell me you're going to hit all four buttons with one hand.

Rjh3Bu3.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I mean, just take a look at the controls and tell me you're going to hit all four buttons with one hand.

Rjh3Bu3.jpg

But I'm not playing in an arcade - I'm playing at home on a controller that really isn't an ASC even. The Hori controller should still allow 3+ hits on one side, no? Unless they gated that on purpose?

But I'm not playing in an arcade - I'm playing at home on a controller that really isn't an ASC even. The Hori controller should still allow 3+ hits on one side, no? Unless they gated that on purpose?

No, there's no restriction other than physical size. I personally have smallish hands and probably could not hit three buttons laid out horizontally on the mini-controller if I wanted to though. I was just saying that I think it's good practice to not get used to being able to even if your hands are large enough.

Received my controller today!
First thing I did was switch the buttons (it's really easy!), reconfigure the controller and start Future Tone. It's a real pleasure to play with the controller, it almost feels like playing on the arcade cabinet <3
the only thing missing is the big slide bar above the buttons. I've been using the sticks instead, seems like it's doing the trick.

Received my controller today!
First thing I did was switch the buttons (it's really easy!), reconfigure the controller and start Future Tone. It's a real pleasure to play with the controller, it almost feels like playing on the arcade cabinet <3
the only thing missing is the big slide bar above the buttons. I've been using the sticks instead, seems like it's doing the trick.

Have you tried playing with the controller upside-down (as in, the analog sticks above the buttons rather than below)? Does that work out?

Have you tried playing with the controller upside-down (as in, the analog sticks above the buttons rather than below)? Does that work out?
It's not as comfortable since the controller is larger at the bottom in order to rest our hands on it but it might be an interesting option since the sticks would end up where the slide bar is supposed to be.
The L1/R1 button would be switched though but that should be manageable :p
Not gonna try it tonight though, I don't have the courage to open my controller again in order to switch the buttons haha

muteki

It's not as comfortable since the controller is larger at the bottom in order to rest our hands on it but it might be an interesting option since the sticks would end up where the slide bar is supposed to be.
The L1/R1 button would be switched though but that should be manageable :p
Not gonna try it tonight though, I don't have the courage to open my controller again in order to switch the buttons haha

Unless you see a lot of value in having two buttons per note, I've used the button config in-game to set the slides to the other 4 face buttons on the controller and that works fine.

Like so:

Unless you see a lot of value in having two buttons per note
Oh, I don't. It's vital when playing with a DS4 but unnecessary when playing with a controller where spamming a button is easy.
I've used the button config in-game to set the slides to the other 4 face buttons on the controller and that works fine.
I tried and it feels a bit weird to do slide notes by pressing a button and not actually... sliding.
But it might actually be better like that since it's a lot more accurate. I'll keep playing with this configuration and see how it goes!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
fuuuuck, i just played the prologue and I really want to buy the rest of the game, but I want to believe sega is thinking about bringing over >_>

Roubjon

fuuuuck, i just played the prologue and I really want to buy the rest of the game, but I want to believe sega is thinking about bringing over >_>

It's so easy to set up a JPN PSN account and purchase Yen cards that there doesn't seem to be a reason to wait for it to get localized.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's so easy to set up a JPN PSN account and purchase Yen cards that there doesn't seem to be a reason to wait for it to get localized.

It's more about the ease of english menus :p (and supporting miku here). I'm just gonna wait for a few months, or until sega of america says something.

beanman25

Wanting to buy one of the packs tomorrow. I'll buy the other next paycheck.

Which should I go with?

EDIT: I'm newer to this series starting at pdF, and am wondering if the one police themed song from that game is in either pack? Or the cat one, I enjoyed both a lot, haha.

Roubjon

Wanting to buy one of the packs tomorrow. I'll buy the other next paycheck.

Which should I go with?

EDIT: I'm newer to this series starting at pdF, and am wondering if the one police themed song from that game is in either pack? Or the cat one, I enjoyed both a lot, haha.

Definitely go with Future Sound.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After playing a bunch of PDX last night, I've got to say - I like it, but Future Tone is superior in nearly every single way. I'm glad I have both because supporting the localization is important...But Future Tone is <3. Now just give me my DLC.

Mandelbo

After playing a bunch of PDX last night, I've got to say - I like it, but Future Tone is superior in nearly every single way. I'm glad I have both because supporting the localization is important...But Future Tone is <3. Now just give me my DLC.

Yeah FT is definitely better. After so long playing FT, X feels a little bit easy since FT is more tricky from the get go, and I'm far more used to dual wielding now. I even got a great on my first attempt of Giga Remix on extreme! I think that visually X is more consistent than FT - it never hits the highs or the lows of FT, but it's a shame there aren't any large scale, grand PVs to take advantage of the graphics. There's nothing as exciting to watch as Uraomote Lovers or Decorator in X.

Top Bottom