• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

SimonM7

EDIT: Haha, super-never mind! :D I thought we were recommending whether to buy Future Tone or Diva X, for some reason. Oh well! Kinda nothing to see here! :D

I'm the opposite. Both Project Mirai and Future Tone kinda had me forgetting why I found the Diva games so compelling back on Vita/PS3. The best thing about FT to me is the value of having so many songs, many of which are old, cool ones that never tagged along in the updated games.

But the charts are tied to a four button control setup, so it's a lot of just intense mixing of those four buttons, and combining them like a game of twister, which is cool for the iteration of the game that this is, but isn't really super conducive to feeling the groove of the songs to me. It gets very technical and sorta DDR-y, but it's somewhat convoluted in a way I don't appreciate very much rhythmically.

The console Divas have visual cues and gameplay elements that just get you going. Their charts and mapping also "make more sense" musically, which is why they're easier than FT songs most of the time, but I don't find that to be a negative overall. Unlike FT, the console Divas are essentially built for dual wielding, as well, so that's like another dimension of the game once you get there. And it *feels so good* to get to grips with.

I wouldn't pass on any Miku game (except maybe Mirai, which I just found to be a bit of a snooze fest to be honest), but as a first game to try, remember that FT is a lot of value, but you may not find it the most compelling, gameplay wise. Just remember not to judge the other Divas on it.

And as a straight recommendation for a first time player, I'd say go with Diva F if you have access to a Vita/PS3, or Diva X if you only have a PS4. I think they're excellent, and by far my favourite Miku games.

Mandelbo

Is there any news of this game coming to the States? or should I just get it as is?

Don't think so. If it's coming out in the west at all I doubt it'll come over for a while since Diva X only just released. I'd get the game now if you want it - the language barrier's proved almost no issue for me at all, and the amount of content really is outstanding.

Mandelbo

CrrcZ0eWAAEJBUr.jpg:orig

Hell yeah! Finally got half the songs perfected on hard!

Wonko_C

Has anyone noticed how sometimes your clear rank (in this case "PERFECT", but it can happen with STANDARD, GREAT, and EXCELLENT too) zooms in with a sound effect instead of just popping in with no sound effect? Here's a video showing what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TNFFr1Szs

In all my 50 hours of playtime it only has done it like 4 times. Is everyone's game like that? look for it the next time you clear a song, normally it will be silent, instead of making a "schwing!" sound.

EDIT: Found a video where it behaves "normally" (I think it should be the other way around) starting from the 3:05 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/_w2FW7z0sw0?t=3m5s

Zhao_Yun

First DLC Pack and Patch 1.03 coming on September 15th

1st DLC Pack (1500 Yen /not including Taxes)
  • 4 new Songs:

Ageage Again
    3859f2d65b35d52b49fc0e394dc1fd9a-450x253.jpg

Shake It
    5295788068fb6b2931d2353f3d526a9c-450x253.jpg

Cendrillon
    b708f14a52b941d1db0b20f55a781d20-450x253.jpg

Adolescence
    e88800ebc84b44f1e7b3c4ad5c9a954a-450x253.jpg

• 13 new modules
  • 12 new Customize Items
  • 9 Extra Extreme Charts
There will also be a Season Pass for 3900 Yen which will include the first DLC package + the upcoming 2nd and 3rd package. People who purchase the Season Pass will receive 40 PSN avatars as a bonus.
Too bad PSN avatars are region-locked -_-

7b6091a905b3cf03e7d96298073ef097-450x273.jpg

Patch 1.03
Addition of a PV Playlist Mode - If I understood it correctly you will be able to set your own PV Playlist (Shuffle and Repeat mode is there as well) and you can even set it up that it uses a random module with random customize items
Some Bugfixes, etc. will be included as well.

http://info.miku.sega.jp/10899

Mandelbo

• 4 new Songs:

Ageage Again

Shake It

Cendrillon

Adolescence

• 13 new modules
  • 12 new Customize Items
  • 9 Extra Extreme Charts
There will also be a Season Pass for 3900 Yen which will include the first DLC package + the upcoming 2nd and 3rd package. People who purchase the Season Pass will receive 40 PSN avatars as a bonus.

Patch 1.03
Addition of a PV Playlist Mode - If I understood it correctly you will be able to set your own PV Playlist (Shuffle and Repeat mode is there as well) and you can even set it up that it uses a random module with random customize items

Nice! A bit more expensive than I was expecting, but I'll probably just get the season pass if all the DLC's gonna be the same price. Is this confirmation that there'll only be three DLC packs?

YES! More Mitchie M for me!

Now I'm happy that I had bought a 10k YEN PSN card. I can purchase the first DLC pack without getting another prepaid card.

Zhao_Yun

Nice! A bit more expensive than I was expecting, but I'll probably just get the season pass if all the DLC's gonna be the same price. Is this confirmation that there'll only be three DLC packs?

Well, they never explicitly mention that there won't be anymore DLC after these 3 packs. Guess 3 are planned for now and we'll have to see whether there will be more after.

muteki

September 15 is a good day.

Price isn't too bad either, compared to past Diva games.

If all 3 packs are this size, that should bring the Ps4 version in line with the current state of the arcade.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Also controller came and I'll be playing with it tonight! Can't wait! Also DLC is insta buy. Not so much for PDX yet...Still trying to decide if I want to buy all the DLC for that game or not.

Also controller came and I'll be playing with it tonight! Can't wait! Also DLC is insta buy. Not so much for PDX yet...Still trying to decide if I want to buy all the DLC for that game or not.

Avatars have always been account-bound on PSN, even back in the PS3 days. It's not so much they are region locked as it is they are not shareable across accounts like other types of content. (At least my JP account avatar will be something other than a pixelated fruit now.)

Already bought all the DLC for DIVA X twice over, oops

4 Songs for 1500 doesn't seem like a good deal at all.
It's much better than the standard 500 yen per song and 300 yen per module the series has charged dating back to the PSP era. Of course it doesn't look good compared to the base price of Future Sound and Colorful Tone, but the entirety of those packs are legacy content at this point and maintaining that kind of price point into the future simply isn't feasible.

Roubjon

It's much better than the standard 500 yen per song and 300 yen per module the series has charged dating back to the PSP era. Of course it doesn't look good compared to the base price of Future Sound and Colorful Tone, but the entirety of those packs are legacy content at this point and maintaining that kind of price point into the future simply isn't feasible.

Oh, ok. Makes sense then.

muteki

So after this pack, only be the most recent songs released in the arcade but not in the PS4 version would be left (minus the ones that didn't make the cut initially due to licensing/legal reasons):

Gaikotsu Gakudan to Riria
Kimi no Taion
Hand in Hand
LOL -lots of laugh-

So I wonder if they will really space out the future packs such that they are always 4 songs each, or if future packs will be less than 4 songs. Recently they have been adding ~2 songs every 2 months for the arcade version. They will likely want some period of arcade exclusivity for the new songs as well.

Hopefully a few more songs from Mirai make it in, even if it would be a long time until they make the home version.

So I wonder if they will really space out the future packs such that they are always 4 songs each, or if future packs will be less than 4 songs. Recently they have been adding ~2 songs every 2 months for the arcade version. They will likely want some period of arcade exclusivity for the new songs as well.

Hopefully a few more songs from Mirai make it in, even if it would be a long time until they make the home version.

It really seems like they're getting ready to wind Project DIVA Arcade down. Sega has bigger hits in the music game space (maimai, Chunithm) and miyuki has been telling me for months that there just aren't as many Vocaloid fans in general as there used to be. I never thought we would see a home release of the game until they were ready to call it quits in the arcade space, and I wonder if that's what's happening now.

muteki

Didn't realize Pack 2 was dated for December. So that will likely have the 4 songs we don't have now and Pack 3 would be the songs released on arcade between now and after December, which is enough time for at least 4 songs if they continue their current pace. I am not one for season passes but I'd be more likely to bite if we have more info on the 2nd packs+. Will probably get either way because Miku.

It really seems like they're getting ready to wind Project DIVA Arcade down. Sega has bigger hits in the music game space (maimai, Chunithm) and miyuki has been telling me for months that there just aren't as many Vocaloid fans in general as there used to be. I never thought we would see a home release of the game until they were ready to call it quits in the arcade space, and I wonder if that's what's happening now.

Yeah, feels that way with how low this whole thing is being priced compared to what they would be doing a couple years ago. But the game has been going on for 6 years now.

miku

• 4 new Songs:

Ageage Again

Shake It

Cendrillon

Adolescence

• 13 new modules
  • 12 new Customize Items
  • 9 Extra Extreme Charts

Patch 1.03

AWESOME NEWS!

I wonder if they'll add trophies to these DLC...

I'll buy the season pass. I would have ended up buying all the DLC packs anyway, might as well get some avatars for my JP account while I'm at it.

miku

The 9 Extra Extreme songs are

Future Sound:

- あなたの歌姫 (Anata no Utahime) | Your Diva
- Ievan Polkka
- 裏表ラバーズ (Ura-omote Lovers) | Two-Faced Lovers
- 積乱雲グラフィティ (Sekiranun Graffiti) | Cumulonimbus Cloud Graffiti
- VOiCE -DIVA MIX-

Colorful Tone:

- サヨナラ・グッバイ (Sayonara・Goodbye)
- StargazeR
- フランシスカ (Francisca)
- 迷子ライフ (Maigo Life) | Stray Life

Liking the price point for the season pass. I'll need to get two of them when they put it on the store.

Get two season passes? Why?

The 9 Extra Extreme songs are

Future Sound:

- あなたの歌姫 (Anata no Utahime) | Your Diva
- Ievan Polkka
- 裏表ラバーズ (Ura-omote Lovers) | Two-Faced Lovers
- 積乱雲グラフィティ (Sekiranun Graffiti) | Cumulonimbus Cloud Graffiti
- VOiCE -DIVA MIX-

Colorful Tone:

- サヨナラ・グッバイ (Sayonara・Goodbye)
- StargazeR
- フランシスカ (Francisca)
- 迷子ライフ (Maigo Life) | Stray Life

Comparing to the earlier list:

There are also a bunch of Extra Extreme charts that haven't made it over. It looks like the last batch that made the cut were the ones released on February 10 (Packaged, Rosary Pale, and Nightmare Partynight). So we're currently missing charts for:
  • Sayonara Goodbye
  • StargazeR
  • Uraomote Lovers
  • Ievan Polkka
  • VOiCE -DIVA MIX-
  • Sekiranun Graffiti
  • Anata no Utahime
  • Maigo life
  • Franciska
  • from Y to Y
  • Koi iro byoutou
  • Master of puppets
  • Poppippou

That's a pretty good chunk of the charts we're missing. I guess the second should at least have the rest, plus whatever has been released to Arcade since I compiled that list.

miku

Comparing to the earlier list:

That's a pretty good chunk of the charts we're missing. I guess the second should at least have the rest, plus whatever has been released to Arcade since I compiled that list.

How did you find your post so quick? lol

Tenshi

Neo Member
I don't have two PS4s to test but you can't run two copies of the game using a single account?

I was just making the point that we both bring gaming equipment to cons in general. And also, I have two Japanese accounts. I had these two Future Tone PS4 setups at Otakon.

I was just making the point that we both bring gaming equipment to cons in general. And also, I have two Japanese accounts. I had these two Future Tone PS4 setups at Otakon.

That's not what I was asking. I'm not certain it's actually necessary for you to purchase everything twice over. You might just be able to use the same account on both systems depending on how the download rights work.

Tenshi

Neo Member
That's not what I was asking. I'm not certain it's actually necessary for you to purchase everything twice over. You might just be able to use the same account on both systems depending on how the download rights work.

I see what you mean. Might be worth a try to have the same account be on both PS4s and be the dominant account for both.

Out of curiosity, I just put my first (and main) Japanese account on my second PS4. Could not make it the activating account for that PS4 until I deactivated it from it's original PS4. With this situation, my second PS4 will, unfortunately, not be able to play Future Tone independently without being connected to PSN. Two season passes will be needed.

Kumubou

That will work if and only if at least one of the consoles is able to connect to the Internet and is able to log into the PSN account that the game is purchased on. You can only have one PS4 authorized to be the primary console for a given PSN account, and only that console can play that PSN account's digital games offline.

Source: Having to deal with this issue with a number of fighting game tournaments. I swear, there's always at least one PS4 that needs to be tethered up to a phone so that we can have another running copy of Waifu Wars 8: The Despair of Moe-Town or something like that. And then when the person with that phone walks out of the venue mid-match... RIP.

mollipen

Unless your download speed is not very fast, it sounds like you may need to pause that download and reset your modem/router, and resume the download to see if it speeds up.

I don't know why it happened, but it seems like the initial "playable" portion was just taking forever, and then as soon as it got past that, the download started flying.

Okay, so now a quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet: is there a way to set the normal sound effect notes to nothing? I've found the Options setting for turning off button sounds period during songs, but no "nashi" selection when picking button sounds like almost every other PD game has. I want to play with the main button sounds turned off, but keep the rest (like the slides) to see how I like it.

Wonko_C

I don't know why it happened, but it seems like the initial "playable" portion was just taking forever, and then as soon as it got past that, the download started flying.

Okay, so now a quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet: is there a way to set the normal sound effect notes to nothing? I've found the Options setting for turning off button sounds period during songs, but no "nashi" selection when picking button sounds like almost every other PD game has. I want to play with the main button sounds turned off, but keep the rest (like the slides) to see how I like it.

Your only option is to lower the SFX volume to 0 in the options screen. You can also find this option when you pause midgame.

Roubjon

Yes there is a way to specifically lower the volume of the note sound effects. It's somewhere in the options when you pause the game during gameplay. It has it's own slider, you don't have to get rid of all SFX.

Zenaku

So, I've been playing the game with the arcade layout, but I've been doing it with the in-game key config, so that the controller keeps the default layout in menus, and it makes it easier to switch between this and XHD. Had the general teething troubles with hold notes, figured it was just me mistiming or not being good enough, and now I find out it's a PS4/controller problem.

Playing Meikos Afterburner there's a bit near the end with a Triangle, Square, Triangle and Circle hold notes, and with the in-game key config setting left/right to Triangle/Square the game simply wouldn't accept either input if I was holding down the other. Hitting Square while holding Triangle would give me "Wrong", and hitting Triangle while holding Square would also give me wrong, until I set Triangle back to its original key, in which case it'll accept Triangle/Square no problem. It'll also accept both inputs if I have Triangle/Square to the Up/Right buttons.

The 4 note hold right at the end, too, with key config I could hit all 4 notes at the same time and get cool, but it wouldn't activate a hold. I reset the key config and tried using assign, and hold activated no problem. Is this why everyone's using assign instead of the key config? It's like the PS4 won't accept dual input from horizontal/vertically aligned d-pad keys.

It's annoying to think I've messed up in some songs because of this, and it's going to annoy me whenever I switch between games.

Is this why everyone's using assign instead of the key config? It's like the PS4 won't accept dual input from horizontal/vertically aligned d-pad keys.

That is, in fact, exactly what is going on. I'm not sure if it's a limitation in the PS4 controller protocol or if it's an issue specific to Hori, but you really don't have a choice but to do the remapping from the controller end. I'm really surprised that they didn't include a layout switch in addition to (or instead of) the dynamic remapping, because having to set the layout again each time you switch games is really annoying.

Top Bottom