• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you jumped on the foldable phone bandwagon yet?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm still using a regular slab phone and these crazy bastards at Huawei are about to unleash the world's first trifold phone. When unfolded it should be 10". Rumors are this will be $4k. Talk about a status symbol.
aOkjNuf.jpeg
xmqEatx.jpeg

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm very, very interested in getting a foldable, thing is, their durability due to the hinge mechanism and the the ever present screen crease when unfolded have kept me away from them, in my opinion there are still a "work progress" thing.

Instead, Got me a S24 ultra a few weeks back but, tbh, I'm not finding it to be anything special, maybe I should have went for a z fold 6 in the end 🤷

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm very, very interested in getting a foldable, thing is, their durability due to the hinge mechanism and the the ever present screen crease when unfolded have kept me away from them, in my opinion there are still a "work progress" thing.

Instead, Got me a S24 ultra a few weeks back but, tbh, I'm not finding it to be anything special, maybe I should have went for a z fold 6 in the end 🤷
The new pixel fold is pretty awesome but it's $1800. It's only 10.5 mm thick when closed even though the thinnest foldable is the Honor Magic V3 which is an amazing 9.2mm and weighs less than a Galaxy S24 ultra!

Coconutt

I got a Samsung z flip 6 and I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's slimmer but longer than my last phone which was an s23+ and like that it can fold to a square, very pocket able. The crease is not noticeable when the phone is on your face, only noticed the crease from afar.

5DKSzjS.gif

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I want it, but that image left behind when folding makes me uncomfortable...

Furthermore, what I look for in a mobile phone is the power of the digital camera...

But always in this type of mobile phone, the camera is not powerful.

Ovek

7Member7
I had a Galaxy Fold 4 from launch and the it was amazing and I used the inner screen a lot, perhaps too much as the hinge started to fail.

New folding phones have always been expensive but the new Fold 6 is retarded so I replaced my Fold 4 with a Red Magic 9S Pro for the lols and to play COD mobile during MS Teams meetings.

Tell you one thing I don’t miss the weight or the thickness of my Fold 4.

Go_Ly_Dow

No. When it comes to tech smartphones are't something I care about enough and I only upgrade when my current phone (Pixel 7) is on the way out. I mainly just use 4 types of apps; 1. social messaging apps (whatsapp/LINE etc), 2. YouTube, 3. Web browsing (Chrome), 4. Service apps (banking, investing etc..).

So upgrading to the latest trend or hype device seems meaningless when they all do the same thing for my needs at a fundamental level.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

I have occasionally considered the utter insanity of spending the best part of $2000 to play emulated games on a near 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a attached controller, In the palm of my hand.

Pagusas

Elden Member
no, every time I see a coworker pull one out it has a very obvious crease line, it would drive me nuts. I'm hoping that one day becomes a non-issue (probably when Apple does one).

Cyberpunkd

No, because as I get older I refuse to engage in pointless consumerism. Right now the rule is for my electronics to last 5 years minimum or until they break.
If I had to buy a phone for the camera I would much rather buy a dedicated one - no matter the AI the smartphone cameras are still poo when zoomed in, that will probably always be the case since we are talking physics / sensor size.

Goalus

I have a Surface Duo, so yes.
It's good to use while sitting, especially reading feels like holding and reading an actual book. I love that I can have two apps visible at the same time. For example Edge to gather Information and OneNote to take notes.
It's not efficient to use while on the go.
Since I have always had two phones, it's a great complement to my conventional phone, and if MS doesn't bring a successor, I'll switch to the Galaxy Z Fold in a few years.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
no, every time I see a coworker pull one out it has a very obvious crease line, it would drive me nuts. I'm hoping that one day becomes a non-issue (probably when Apple does one).
Apple is at least a year behind when it comes to tech, Cameras and AI (Google) compared to Android (specifically the Chinese) I don't think Apple will be able to leap frog them. The days of BlackBerry and Nokia are long gone.

Last edited:
Yes. I like it. But for most people I could see how a normal phone and separate tablet would probably suffice. They also need a bit more work for more durability and less crease.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
No, because as I get older I refuse to engage in pointless consumerism. Right now the rule is for my electronics to last 5 years minimum or until they break.
If I had to buy a phone for the camera I would much rather buy a dedicated one - no matter the AI the smartphone cameras are still poo when zoomed in, that will probably always be the case since we are talking physics / sensor size.
You taking spy photos? What kind of zoom are we talking about because the latest flagships have really good detail up 20x.

Rickyiez

Nope I have a decent tab (Legion Y700) for tab kinda things. Foldable are still quite small for something like reading manga/comic, yet still much heavier than regular phone for everyday use.

Maybe if there are a 8.5" unfolded phone one day but weighing 180g

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Foldable are still quite small for something like reading manga/comic, yet still much heavier than regular phone for everyday use.

Maybe if there are a 8.5" unfolded phone one day but weighing 180g
The latest foldables weigh less than a Galaxy S24 Ultra. The iphone 15 pro max weighs 222 grams. How do you expect a foldable to weigh 180? Please stop with the misinformation

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Nope. My brother just got a new Moto flip phone. Gimmick or not, it sure does feel small in your pocket.

Soltype

I've been using a z-fold for 3 years now, and I can't see myself going back to a normal phone. it's not for everyone though, it really depends on what you value in a phone the most. Also if you're getting one, for the love of God get a warranty.

Last edited:

Fbh

I like the idea of the "fold" ones (don't see the appeal of the flip concept).
But they are still too expensive and and as someone who generally keeps his phones for at least 4-5 years I still worry about durability.

I upgraded to a base S23 recently anyway (which aside from the surprisingly bland camera has been great), so I probably won't be changing phones for a few years

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Bought a z flip5 in January. I really like it. Sometimes it's annoying opening but I like that it's compact.

The crease doesn't bother me at all. But the camera is horrible. Zooming into anything really brings the resolution down.

The hinge has been totally fine too. I'm landscaping most days and dirt gets in my pocket. So far so good. Have to blow out the hinge and it's fine

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Bought a z flip5 in January. I really like it. Sometimes it's annoying opening but I like that it's compact.

The crease doesn't bother me at all. But the camera is horrible. Zooming into anything really brings the resolution down.

The hinge has been totally fine too. I'm landscaping most days and dirt gets in my pocket. So far so good. Have to blow out the hinge and it's fine
The camera is the main reason I haven't jumped on the foldable bandwagon. I really enjoy taking photos of stuff with my phone and I want the best available camera unfortunately you can't get that with a foldable

Zathalus

Had one, back to a slab phone. It is neat sometimes but I often find myself not unfolding it and just using the front screen.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
IPHONE BABY all the way.

I was in San Francisco when iPhone launched and I was in the Apple store and was like 'what a piece of shit - this will never sell'

Oh how I wish I still had my Apple shares.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You took a wrong turn somewhere pal this is about foldables. Will buy one when Apple invents the foldable?
No baby - have I jumped on the folding phone was the question so answered I'm an iPhone slut - so no I havent.

Unless I missed something? You could have made a poll. I am sauced up and trying to post in the sauce thread so may have misunderstood your thread.

Thought it was a yes or no.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I tried a couple flip phones, but I can’t get over how the “crease” forms and looks over time on the inside screen. It just bothers me after a while.

Top Bottom