• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you jumped on the foldable phone bandwagon yet?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
sHgnDCz.jpeg

Samesung's last 3 foldables around 12.5 mm vs the Magic V3 at 9.2 mm thick. The difference is jarring. It also has a larger battery than the fold. Releasing in Europe soon.

I have an S22 Ultra and that new tech itch, but i refuse to scratch it until the new Fold incorporates the SPen into the body of the phone and the camera module is the same as the S series, i'm not prepared to pay what amounts to a pretty decent TV for a top tier phone with compromises, having said that id be interested in what that Honor is all about

LordCBH

No. They’re pretty useless. Uber expensive and adds yet another possible failure point. Nobody NEEDS one. The phablet style phones most people currently have are good enough.

Nvzman

I just went from a Sony Xperia 1 mkIII to a Flip6 recently, and I absolutely love it.
As much as I liked my Sony phone (headphones jack and SD card FTW), the lack of carrier support in the USA, as well as only two years of support and a pretty paltry battery life really got me looking back at Samsung for my next phone.
I have to say, I've really loved the Flip6 so far. The front screen being so usable is insanely nice for quick responses, and it grabs a lot of attention in public. The hinge seems durable enough but I've only had it for a month, so time will tell. But 7 years of guaranteed support is super nice, plus OneUi is so much better than the TouchWiz garbage I experienced with my S4 and S7.
Imo the Fold phones are super unnecessary and expensive. Not a fan at all of those. But the Flip is cool as hell.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
No. They’re pretty useless. Uber expensive and adds yet another possible failure point. Nobody NEEDS one. The phablet style phones most people currently have are good enough.
There are alot of things people don't need. I bet you own a lot of things you don't need. That's not a good metric by which you should decide whether to own something or not.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I always put my phones in a very protective case, I think these folding phones are completely incompatible with anything protective so I have never even considered one.

Also, the prices Ai-Ai-Ai!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How unreasonable to think that. Some of these foldables even come with a case.

Colour me surprised, thanks for the correction. Either way, they seem like devices that are inherently going to be more prone to damage in exchange for something that I'm not sure I see much value in (increased screen space).

I'm sort of surprised that there's enough of a market for them to make it worthwhile, if I'm honest. I don't think anyone I've ever met has had one.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The e
Colour me surprised, thanks for the correction. Either way, they seem like devices that are inherently going to be more prone to damage in exchange for something that I'm not sure I see much value in (increased screen space).

I'm sort of surprised that there's enough of a market for them to make it worthwhile, if I'm honest. I don't think anyone I've ever met has had one.
The earlier Samsung's were very shoddy but the newer 2024 foldables are much better obviously not as sturdy as a slab phone but that's the price you have to pay

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No need until Apple invents it
I know this is a joke. But Apple has a history of not being the first with some new tech, but being the first ones to do it right. MP3 player, smartphone, digital music sales, tablet, smartwatch, etc. they weren’t the first in any of those categories but they blew away everything that came before it.

For foldable phones, it’s one of those things where I’m iffy about it and not interested in being an early adopter. If Apple decided to make one, that’d really make me pay attention because they are mostly pretty good at NOT pushing new tech unless it’s really ready for a mainstream market.

Paltheos

Missed opportunity for a poll.

Anyway, my answer is no. I've always lagged behind on phone tech because phones aren't that important to me (I spend most of my time on a PC) and older gen phones are dramatically less expensive than the newest and hottest devices. Heck, the only time I upgrade is when the phone starts failing (hardware or software).

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I know this is a joke. But Apple has a history of not being the first with some new tech, but being the first ones to do it right. MP3 player, smartphone, digital music sales, tablet, smartwatch, etc. they weren’t the first in any of those categories but they blew away everything that came before it.

For foldable phones, it’s one of those things where I’m iffy about it and not interested in being an early adopter. If Apple decided to make one, that’d really make me pay attention because they are mostly pretty good at NOT pushing new tech unless it’s really ready for a mainstream market.
I get where your coming from but there's no way you can be an early adopter when foldables have been around for 5 years now. Apple are flat out lttp. Multiple companies have already done them right namely Vivo, Honor, Xiaomi, One plus and most recently Google with it's pixel 9 pro fold.

Last edited:
I don't buy phones anymore. I get the latest Galaxy S every year for no additional charge. Just have to send the old one back.

That doesn't include foldable phones. So I'm not really interested in foldables.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Right now I own an iPhone 15 Pro Max and an iPad Mini 6. I would definitely consider a device that could theoretically replace both of them.

Waiting to see what Apple comes up with though .

I get where your coming from but there's no way you can be an early adopter when foldables have been around for 5 years now. Apple are flat out lttp. Multiple companies have already done them right namely Vivo, Honor, Xiaomi, One plus and most recently Google with it's pixel 9 pro fold.
Apple isn't doing it because they recognize it's a gimmick. Apple has never done curved screens after more than a decade and they are right to ignore that nonsense

BlackTron

Missed opportunity for a poll.

Anyway, my answer is no. I've always lagged behind on phone tech because phones aren't that important to me (I spend most of my time on a PC) and older gen phones are dramatically less expensive than the newest and hottest devices. Heck, the only time I upgrade is when the phone starts failing (hardware or software).

Exactly me. I tried to have the best phone when I was younger and it meant having a physical keyboard for texting. Once we changed to small tablets, all I care is that it doesn't lag when loading web pages or apps and isn't broken. Given the option I'll use mobile browser over an app, and a desktop browser over both.

NahaNago

It is a nope for me. The crease does bother me about it. Maybe in a couple of generations from now. I do like the increased screen space. The one that has the cute screen was nice as well but not for me.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I want smaller phones .. not larger.
images

Brick phones: 80s. Big phones: 90s. Tiny phones: 00s. Big phones: 10s. Phablet phones: 20s.
I think phones will stay big... until we have something that replaces them and repeat the cycle

Last edited:

Trilobit

images

Brick phones: 80s. Big phones: 90s. Tiny phones: 00s. Big phones: 10s. Phablet phones: 20s.
I think phones will stay big... until we have something that replaces them and repeat the cycle

I think iPhone 4G had the absolutely best size for a smartphone for me. I'm not a power-user so I mostly just want something small where I can reach everything with my thumb. Hopefully there's some renaissance for that size some day.

Melon Husk

I think iPhone 4G had the absolutely best size for a smartphone for me. I'm not a power-user so I mostly just want something small where I can reach everything with my thumb. Hopefully there's some renaissance for that size some day.
You and me both. God-tier design. I would only rank the iPod Touch 4th gen higher in ergonomics with its lighter weight and curved metal back. It didn't have a sim slot, so sad. They were the nadir of size but still "smart".

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
images

maxresdefault.jpg

my absolute favorite phone size to date. i loved this phone so much. Now I am just praying that they do not make the normal iphone pro any larger.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Apple isn't doing it because they recognize it's a gimmick. Apple has never done curved screens after more than a decade and they are right to ignore that nonsense

Apple is 100% working on both a foldable iPhone and a foldable iPad.

Just as they've always done, they're letting others work out most of the kinks and won't bring their solution to the market until it's full featured and polished. I'm expecting foldable glass displays and a no-compromise camera solution.

Last edited:

Just as they've always done, they're letting others work out most of the kinks and won't bring their solution to the market until it's full featured and polished. I'm expecting foldable glass displays and a no-compromise camera solution.
Those sons of bitches.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I get preferring Apple but stop with this false narrative. Foldables are full featured and polished TODAY and I'm not sure what you mean by no-compromise camera solution when the cameras on slab iPhones aren't that great to begin with.

Here's a photo taken on Honor's latest foldable which weighs less than a Galaxy and almost as thin as an iPhone Pro Max when folded
ndmoZyV.jpeg

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I get preferring Apple but stop with this false narrative. Foldables are full featured and polished TODAY and I'm not sure what you mean by no-compromise camera solution when the cameras on slab iPhones aren't that great to begin with.

Here's a photo taken on Honor's latest foldable which weighs less than a Galaxy and almost as thin as an iPhone Pro Max when folded
ndmoZyV.jpeg

Foldables are getting better every year, but there's inarguably still compromises. Namely plastic displays and yes, the cameras are still lagging behind.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show with that photo sample. It's not particularly impressive.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Foldables are getting better every year, but there's inarguably still compromises. Namely plastic displays and yes, the cameras are still lagging behind.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show with that photo sample. It's not particularly impressive.
For a foldable it's very impressive Will Apple's foldable be good? Undoubtedly, will it blow everything else out of the water? Hardly.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For a foldable it's very impressive Will Apple's foldable be good? Undoubtedly, will it blow everything else out of the water? Hardly.

I think Apple's waiting for the point when they don't need to say "it's impressive for a foldable", but instead "impressive, period". I think they are going to push for parity with their flagship standard iPhones.

But again, the disadvantage of this approach is Apple is still probably years away from releasing their foldable devices.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think Apple's waiting for the point when they don't need to say "it's impressive for a foldable", but instead "impressive, period". I think they are going to push for parity with their flagship standard iPhones.

But again, the disadvantage of this approach is Apple is still probably years away from releasing their foldable devices.
Putting the latest and greatest tech in a foldable is possible today the reason no one has done it is because would be prohibitively expensive that's why Samsung and all the other OEM's skimp on the camera and other things but who knows? Do I think Apple will do it? No because it'll cut into their profit margin unless they're planning to make their foldable substantially more expensive than other foldables.

Last edited:

notseqi

i just want another blackberry priv ;_;
no phone i tried in the past few years has had any interesting features that makes them stand out and I type like shit on all of them. I need the physical keyboard.

Tams

I'm happy with my Fold 6. I have a Nillikin case that protects the hinge and holds the Spen.

Sure, I'd like a silo, EMR (Spen) on the front display, better cameras, a bigger battery, SD card slot, camera button, replaceable battery, and plastic instead of glass and metal.

But many of those just ain't gonna happen these days, except in niches.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I just went from a Sony Xperia 1 mkIII to a Flip6 recently, and I absolutely love it.
As much as I liked my Sony phone (headphones jack and SD card FTW), the lack of carrier support in the USA, as well as only two years of support and a pretty paltry battery life really got me looking back at Samsung for my next phone.
I have to say, I've really loved the Flip6 so far. The front screen being so usable is insanely nice for quick responses, and it grabs a lot of attention in public. The hinge seems durable enough but I've only had it for a month, so time will tell. But 7 years of guaranteed support is super nice, plus OneUi is so much better than the TouchWiz garbage I experienced with my S4 and S7.
Imo the Fold phones are super unnecessary and expensive. Not a fan at all of those. But the Flip is cool as hell.

Same. Went from a Sony Xperia 1 Mark III to Flip 6 and I also fucking love it!

The front screen is amazing. It allows me to complete most tasks that I need just from that simple screen. It's almost like having a phone and smart watch combined. I was worried about the crease, but you can't really see it when the phone is on and I forget it's even there. One other major benefit is that I find myself using my phone less now. It's probably down to needing to unfold it to use it, where with the Sony it was just a quick finger print scan with the thumb.

I agree with your comments about fold phones. They're just smart phones that unfold into a bigger screen. Nothing amazing and overall unimpressive. The Flip on the other hand is a different story. This feels like it has a purpose and the flip feature is functional. It's so good that I'm surprised the bigger manufacturers such as Apple or Google haven't gone for a flip design.

I've only had it a month, but so far I'm converted to the Flip design.

Trilobit

I have an S22 Ultra and that new tech itch, but i refuse to scratch it until the new Fold incorporates the SPen into the body of the phone and the camera module is the same as the S series, i'm not prepared to pay what amounts to a pretty decent TV for a top tier phone with compromises, having said that id be interested in what that Honor is all about

Not incorporating the SPen is pretty odd to be honest. It would make too much sense, unless the experience is awful on those screens.

Tams

Not incorporating the SPen is pretty odd to be honest. It would make too much sense, unless the experience is awful on those screens.
They claim the reason is due to internal space, but having seen the internals I reckon they could squeeze a thin stylus in there (it's not like you have to use the one in the silo), They could even make a telescopic one like the 3DS had (just better built), as the EMR circuit board isn't very big or long.

As for why the outer display doesn't support the Spen; I reckon that's because it might be too affected by magnets in the phone and possibly the existing EMR digitiser. It would certainly increase the cost as another EMR digitiser would be required for it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
They claim the reason is due to internal space, but having seen the internals I reckon they could squeeze a thin stylus in there (it's not like you have to use the one in the silo), They could even make a telescopic one like the 3DS had (just better built), as the EMR circuit board isn't very big or long.

As for why the outer display doesn't support the Spen; I reckon that's because it might be too affected by magnets in the phone and possibly the existing EMR digitiser. It would certainly increase the cost as another EMR digitiser would be required for it.
Just want to add that there are foldables out there that support a stylus on inner and outer screens. I think it's the one by Honor or Vivo maybe both I don't remember off the top of my head.

Tams

Just want to add that there are foldables out there that support a stylus on inner and outer screens. I think it's the one by Honor or Vivo maybe both I don't remember off the top of my head.

Yes, but they use a different, inferior form of stylus technology. It means that the stylus needs to have a battery or capacitor (Spens don't for non-Bluetooth functions). The need for a power source in the stylus also means that to have them in a silo is harder to do (it is possible, but there are just more components). Those other technologies also result in a worse writing and drawing experience, especially for diagonal lines (which means circular shapes are affected too).

I'm much happier with the Fold as it is with a fantastic stylus for the inner display, than a mediocre stylus on both displays.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes, but they use a different, inferior form of stylus technology. It means that the stylus needs to have a battery or capacitor (Spens don't for non-Bluetooth functions). The need for a power source in the stylus also means that to have them in a silo is harder to do (it is possible, but there are just more components). Those other technologies also result in a worse writing and drawing experience, especially for diagonal lines (which means circular shapes are affected too).

I'm much happier with the Fold as it is with a fantastic stylus for the inner display, than a mediocre stylus on both displays.
I don't know anything about stylus so I will defer to your expertise

Top Bottom