• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

I have accepted several friend requests but no-one appears in the list. Have I done something wrong?

It's happened to me for a couple people that I got invites in here from. Even after a day, the two requests that I accepted show up as blank spots on my friend list while they are offline. I haven't looked into a fix though.

Thinking of playing Hawken with the Occulus Rift reminds of this one arcade turret(?) game where you put on a yellow helmet and could turn 360 degrees in order to shoot incoming tanks from all around you. I don't exactly know why it reminds me of that, but it gets me hyped nonetheless.
Beach Head 2002:

beachhead.jpg

Unicorn

Had some good games yesterday. Mostly positive KDR.

Deathmatch is a lot less infuriating, but the small map that is now Chrismtas themed is so godawful with the spawns. It's a fairly small level, so throwing in so many people will result in this, but man does it suck when someone spawns in front and behind me and I just get pounded. I also feel bad when I see someone spawn right in front of me and I kill them before they can even boot-up and turn around.

Got one friend to start playing, so I'll stick with this a little longer. Almost have enough creds to purchase a mech - probably rocketeer. Just release more open maps so he has some more use in DM settings.

Also also also

Why is this so cold on GAF? There was a decent amount of hype earlier in the year. Did F2P really turn that many away from trying it?

Izayoi

Banned
Why is this so cold on GAF? There was a decent amount of hype earlier in the year. Did F2P really turn that many away from trying it?
GAF is busy with the holidays and Steam sales, most likely. It sucks that OTs get tucked away to die after a month, because chances are it will get put down long before there's a chance of OT2.

I've been under the impression that GAF just isn't really interested in Hawken. The few threads that have been created on here never seemed to generate much discussion or hype.

Atomski

Ive enjoyed it so far, the grind and stuff seems a bit scary though.

I havent been able to get any of my friends interested though sadly..

Zeal

Banned
Omg is this game fun and addictive. I bought myself the mech that can cloak itself and I'm flying around grenading people as an invisible death machine. The graphics and atmosphere are also incredible.

Artanisix

Omg is this game fun and addictive. I bought myself the mech that can cloak itself and I'm flying around grenading people as an invisible death machine. The graphics and atmosphere are also incredible.

Infiltrators are SICK. Grenades are so much more versatile than TOW rockets.

Wired

So, I've been playing this for a while. I have enough for a new Mech but I'd appreciate some advice on what to get. Maybe I should just stick with the CR-T? I don't want to waste the points I have on something I'd regret later, takes forever to get more lol

I think that right now I just really want to see some new maps hopefully soon. That and I'm pretty much lone wolfing it right now since the friends that I know that want to play it can't because they don't have a capable PC.

How about we get together some GAF matches sometime soon? Aside from the past couple days, I tended to sign on in the late afternoon and throughout the night, but I usually wouldn't see anyone on.

I'm playing Bruiser and I can't win any fight against even low level Recruits mech because their Tow is just so brutal. My Hellfire missiles need a much longer time to lock on so my dps is really low. You say " yeah but don't get to close, use lock on and distance " yeah but the game have such maps that long distance NEVER works because of how much healt and cover and the ability to self repair.

I'm getting nightmares of these Recruit Boxes ruining my days while I can take on any other mechs no problem

I'm playing Bruiser and I can't win any fight against even low level Recruits mech because their Tow is just so brutal. My Hellfire missiles need a much longer time to lock on so my dps is really low. You say " yeah but don't get to close, use lock on and distance " yeah but the game have such maps that long distance NEVER works because of how much healt and cover and the ability to self repair.

I'm getting nightmares of these Recruit Boxes ruining my days while I can take on any other mechs no problem
Bruiser's kind of a weird mech. The best way to play them is to soften them up with hellfires and then get in their face where they can't use the TOW without blowing themselves up. Your Point-D Vulcan's DPS should make fairly short work of them.

Hellfires in general kind of suck, though, so that's just something you'll have to deal with.

Izayoi

Banned
So, I've been playing this for a while. I have enough for a new Mech but I'd appreciate some advice on what to get. Maybe I should just stick with the CR-T? I don't want to waste the points I have on something I'd regret later, takes forever to get more lol
Stick with the stock CR-T until you know for sure which way you want to go on the movement spectrum. I would honestly not recommend doing C-class mechs until you've spent a fair bit of time with the game. Grenadier is the best one, but the learning curve is very steep and can cause some frustration. Berserker is like a mini-CRT, same set of weapons, just faster and more frail. Infiltrator is also really good, but like the Grenadier, it's difficult to learn.

The other medium mechs are honestly not all that great, so I'd recommend avoiding them for right now.

Izayoi

Banned
Sharpshooter is manly but none of the maps really lend to the mech's strengths.

Would love to see more maps come out soon.
Yup. I got my Sharpshooter to 12 before moving on to other mechs. The Slug Rifle is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and the Hawkins has mediocre damage output. The Sabot is nice, but by itself it's not enough to make the mech really worthwhile unfortunately.

Agreed on the new maps. It would be great to get some more variety, but I do love what we have so far (especially Prosk).

Wired

Stick with the stock CR-T until you know for sure which way you want to go on the movement spectrum. I would honestly not recommend doing C-class mechs until you've spent a fair bit of time with the game. Grenadier is the best one, but the learning curve is very steep and can cause some frustration. Berserker is like a mini-CRT, same set of weapons, just faster and more frail. Infiltrator is also really good, but like the Grenadier, it's difficult to learn.

The other medium mechs are honestly not all that great, so I'd recommend avoiding them for right now.

I ended up getting a Infiltrator, I kind of like it but I suck so bad with the Heat Cannon. Seems faster than the CR-T unless I'm imagining things. Got it up to level 10, I'm going to play around a bit more with the CR-T tomorrow or something to get a feel for the differences.

Izayoi

Banned
I ended up getting a Infiltrator, I kind of like it but I suck so bad with the Heat Cannon. Seems faster than the CR-T unless I'm imagining things. Got it up to level 10, I'm going to play around a bit more with the CR-T tomorrow or something to get a feel for the differences.
It's faster than the CR-T in every aspect (acceleration, walk speed, run speed, boost speed, dodge speed, dodge cooldown). The only thing worse, mobility-wise, is that you have a smaller fuel tank and can't boost/dodge as much as you'd be able to on a B-class.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Since I'm playing this a lot I put $5 down. It's Christmas after all! Bought thruster nozzles for my scout and rocketeer.

Wired

Does anyone have any advice about modifications for the Infiltrator. As I'm currently at level 10 I'm able to buy some if I'm so inclined. I am however uncertain if it's worthwhile considering the drawbacks and so on.

Also, the offensive items. The EMP sounds good I suppose. But if I buy one of those can all mechs use them or is it specific to whichever one you buy it for?

Zeliard

Berserker is my favorite out of the ones I've tried. Good mix of mobility and offensive prowess.

Still trying to figure out which internals are most efficient.

Izayoi

Banned
Still trying to figure out which internals are most efficient.
I use Heatsinks, Repair Kit, and Radars on pretty much everything. I'm trying out the Thrusters on my Grenadier, but it really does hurt fuel regeneration, so I'm probably going to end up going back to the Radar.

superbank

Last night I had some awesome 2 vs 2 TDM games. Something was wrong with the matchmaking but the result was a nice change of pace. They should consider adding small teams to the lineup. Many times in TDM it turns into a pack of dogs chasing down 1 or 2 enemies at a time overwhelming them in seconds. During these small matches your skill means a lot more and the fights are more satisfying.

Absinthe

This game keeps getting better and better.

Great gameplay, intense matches, and it's just fun to play. Once you learn the levels and tactics, there are less frustrating encounters, and pleny of good times. Hopefully everyone else is enjoying it as much as I am.

Wired

I have to say I really like the Infiltrator, I'm much more able to stay alive even though it has way less health than the CR-T. I guess the mobility doesn't hurt.

I'm starting to plan what other Mech to get. I still have a ways to go until I can afford it but considering that they are somewhat expensive it doesn't hurt to think about it in excruciating detail :p Since I have both a Light and Medium I suppose I should get a Heavy as well, any suggestions?

edit:

A question about the Increase "Energy Unit Capacity" optimization, if I taken this does that mean I can boost longer? Or is it just for carrying energy in Siege mode or w/e?

Izayoi

Banned
A question about the Increase "Energy Unit Capacity" optimization, if I taken this does that mean I can boost longer? Or is it just for carrying energy in Siege mode or w/e?
More energy for Siege mode.

I would recommend the Grenadier for a C-class, it's by far the best one.

Wired

More energy for Siege mode.

I would recommend the Grenadier for a C-class, it's by far the best one.

Bought the Grenadier, I quite like it. I suppose it helps that I've been playing Infiltrator for so long, I've gotten some practice using grenades. Getting used to it being so SLOW is another matter ;)

Wired

Just wanted to remind the (apparently few, sadly enough) people who play this that you can earn double Hawken Credits until "December 31 at 12:00 PM PST (GMT-8)". Which is quite useful I must say, in fact I'd go so far as to claim that this rate feels more reasonable but hey I'm not complaining ;)

superbank

So who else hates the EMP? The concept even is just really horrible. You're losing a fight so you use your magical item to stop the opponents ability to shoot? Most of the time the people who use it can't even aim but when a skilled player uses it it's just too much.

I have an alternative idea: a Heat Ball item. It's like the EMP but instead it can overheat the opponents mech 50-70%(somewhere in that range is probably the right amount). Still pretty cheap with the potential to shut down weapons but at least it's not a guaranteed shut down.

And yes I don't use the countermeasures which can override the EMP. I don't like the concept of that either. They need to go back to the drawing board with the "overpowered item -> buy depletable countermeasures" idea.

Jac_Solar

Any game that lets people buy even a slight advantage is a pay 2 win game.

Hopefully they'll stop developing these types of games.

I haven't tried Hawken, so I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it's Pay 2 win based on comments.

I haven't tried Hawken, so I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it's Pay 2 win based on comments.

No

In other news:

I have 11000 Hawken points that I've accrued and am unsure where to spend it all. Can anyone here point me in the direction of the hottest shit to pilot and or shoot? The default mech has carried me far, but I feel like mixing it up a bit.

No

In other news:

I have 11000 Hawken points that I've accrued and am unsure where to spend it all. Can anyone here point me in the direction of the hottest shit to pilot and or shoot? The default mech has carried me far, but I feel like mixing it up a bit.

Try and test drive the free mechs in the mechbay. The berserker was a pleasant surprise for me. That thing is irritatingly fast as an opponent. Currently using the assault. The vulcan is hella fun when it gets unlocked at level 7. But it's about the same as the CRT without all the advantages.

As for addons, I would be careful with the chassis addons. They come with pros and cons and can't be removed except when buying a second addon in the same slot. Addons with expendable ammo; you should decide for yourself. I hear the emp is getting nerved so I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.

Everything that can give you an advantage can be unlocked by progressing through the game. With the current double XP period it doesn't take very long to unlock and upgrade a new mech.

Try and test drive the free mechs in the mechbay. The berserker was a pleasant surprise for me. That thing is irritatingly fast as an opponent. Currently using the assault. The vulcan is hella fun when it gets unlocked at level 7. But it's about the same as the CRT without all the advantages.

As for addons, I would be careful with the chassis addons. They come with pros and cons and can't be removed except when buying a second addon in the same slot. Addons with expendable ammo; you should decide for yourself. I hear the emp is getting nerved so I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.

Everything that can give you an advantage can be unlocked by progressing through the game. With the current double XP period it doesn't take very long to unlock and upgrade a new mech.

I ended up grabbing a grenadier mech and some fancy HE grenades. Everything will explode.

No

In other news:

I maxed out the recruit mech and then went onto the Beserker mech. It is nippy, but has around 170 less armour than the assault mech. I have maxed this one too but I am happy to keep using it for a while because I am enjoying using it. I'll probably go to the Bruiser mech next.

I love the maneuverability of the Beserker and this more than makes up for the weaker chassis.

It really depends on your personal play style; do you like to nip around or would you prefer to be slower but with more armour and weaponary (not that the light mechs are slouches in terms of weapons)?

I don't think I would like the C-class mechs due to their lumbering nature (although the armour would be nice).

The scout is a powerful mech in the right hands. I maxed this one out in Beta 3 but I haven't gone back to it so far; it felt so overpowered even though it is weak on armour. The mini-flak was a real killer.

Top Bottom