• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

antitrop

Anyone else think Hawken is a terrible name for this game? Should be Mechin'.
I think it's an awesome name, actually.

Mechin' is way too cliché and at least Hawken isn't a rip-off of the name of another mech franchise, which would have been easy.

antitrop

I'm imagining how cool it would be to see the cracked windshield when you take heavy hull damage. It seems super immersive already on my computer monitor, with virtual reality I don't even.

I would love to see an Oculus Rift-supported survival horror, modern military shooter based around the recent Iraq war. That would be fucking badASS. Relive my younger years.
I should become a game dev and make that shit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This game gets me so upset.
So stupidly team based so if your team is bad it's just getting ganked over and over. And fuck the radar jammer on top of that shit. And fuck EMP even more than that. Bullshit I have to spend 8 hours for a 100% distinct advantage and have to pay to get out of it.

If a match starts even 5v5 and then one leaves or does bad it spirals hardcore with leavers and backfilling. Can't even 1v2 unless the other players are terrible.

On the plus side some amazing close matches happen like half the time somehow.

Thinking of playing Hawken with the Occulus Rift reminds of this one arcade turret(?) game where you put on a yellow helmet and could turn 360 degrees in order to shoot incoming tanks from all around you. I don't exactly know why it reminds me of that, but it gets me hyped nonetheless.

Nome

Played some more... the more I play, the less I enjoy it.

TDM is dominated by the team that sits in a single room, guns aimed at a chokepoint, turrets everywhere. How are you supposed to crack this? It's not like a high-lethality FPS (CoD, CS, Unreal Tourney), where a skilled player can clear out a room of lesser players. Skill seems entirely dependent on positioning, because it's kind of hard to miss even the most mobile players unless they're in your face.

Also very disappointed with the Optimization system. The upgrades are very boring... some of the abilities are even duplicated.

Artanisix

Played some more... the more I play, the less I enjoy it.

TDM is dominated by the team that sits in a single room, guns aimed at a chokepoint, turrets everywhere. How are you supposed to crack this? It's not like a high-lethality FPS (CoD, CS, Unreal Tourney), where a skilled player can clear out a room of lesser players. Skill seems entirely dependent on positioning, because it's kind of hard to miss even the most mobile players unless they're in your face.

Also very disappointed with the Optimization system. The upgrades are very boring... some of the abilities are even duplicated.

Grenadiers?

Izayoi

Banned
On Uptown especially, you would be surprised at what you can pull off on the chokepoint at the top of the map. I rush through it all of the time on my Berserker, with a paltry 500hp. It's because the game isn't a one-shot FPS that skilled players can clean up multiple people. I regularly engage two to three people at once and can survive long enough for my team to arrive and mop up (and maybe even kill one or two of them while I'm at it).

It's all about movement, if you can learn to dance, the game gets really good. Don't be afraid to run away, buying time in this game can mean everything. Also, don't be afraid to let enemies run away if you don't think that you can catch them, or that you'll be putting yourself in a bad situation. Often times you'll find that you can let them leave and then cut them off somewhere else, especially on Uptown, Crion, and Prosk.

If you're having trouble enjoying Team Deathmatch, play some Missile Assault or Siege. It could just be that you don't enjoy the core gameplay, which is fine. Don't force yourself to play something that you don't enjoy!

@Hazaro

The missile assault and siege modes are particularly prone to a bad team = totally ****** situation.

Last night I played a missile match, with what I assume to be inexperienced players, and it was massively one-sided. I had a good match but there is only so much one or two players can do in a team if six (minus those that quit of course).

I haven't played a lot of online shooters so I assume bad team work = lose match heavily is quite common?

I want to win matches but I just feel that if I hold my own and contribute then there isn't much else I can do if the other players don't. Sometimes it can be quite fun to be over run and work your ass off but other times it can be infuriating.

web01

Uggghhh you earn the blue credits so fucking slow its ridiculous.
This game would be fun if it was not the pay 2 win trash like it is at the moment.

Should be a paid game at first with a full main set of different class mechs included. Then do TF2 style unlocks at a later time with sidegrades and finding visual mech parts etc from random drops.

ezrarh

Uggghhh you earn the blue credits so fucking slow its ridiculous.
This game would be fun if it was not the pay 2 win trash like it is at the moment.

Should be a paid game at first with a full main set of different class mechs included. Then do TF2 style unlocks at a later time with sidegrades and finding visual mech parts etc from random drops.

I would have preferred this to be honest. What you get in terms of how much you spend isn't significant at all but I've been doing well without having all the upgrades so it's not totally necessary.

Unbalanced teams are the worst in this.

Yup, I've been in more one sided matches than not. It makes for easy experience but if you want to have a good match it makes it frustrating.

MDSLKTR

I chose the long range sniper mech with the MACHINIMECH code and I regret it :( Got mopped up on dm games, went back to the recruit mech and destroyed everything again. It's a mech I will avoid using in non team based modes but I still wish I purchased something else...
getting meteor credits live

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm happy with my Sharpshooter so far but, yeah, it really depends on its team to run in and distract people. You can only go 1v1 against complete novices, any experienced TOW suit will rock you.

The game's profile screen is very detailed. I like it.

Look at how awesome I am:

Screenshot267580.png

Screenshot267608.png

You know, I just realized that I have never maintained a 1.85 K:D ratio in any other shooter I've ever played.

Something about this game just 'clicks' with me.

Game environement are stunning for an indie prod. Feels like Killzone meet steampunk asia. Feels like Gunnm (Battle Angel)

Getting good at the game but getting raped by Bruisers and only Bruisers. feel way op to me for now with my f2p mechs.

Also, how can I upgrade F2P mechs ? Can you ?

Izayoi

Banned
Getting good at the game but getting raped by Bruisers and only Bruisers. feel way op to me for now with my f2p mechs.

Also, how can I upgrade F2P mechs ? Can you ?
Do you mean the trial mechs? The trial mechs can be upgraded after you buy them with HC/MC. The current trials are not very good, I would recommend sticking with the CR-T. It's the strongest mech in the game and can hold its ground against pretty much anything (and will generally style on Bruisers, who are prone to having 75% of their damage dodged).

Artanisix

Maybe I'm just a butthurt loser but I'd like to see a nerf on TOW splash damage. It has a pretty respectable recharge rate and does ridiculous damage, and it's so easy to aim when you're in midrange.

Maybe I'm just a butthurt loser but I'd like to see a nerf on TOW splash damage. It has a pretty respectable recharge rate and does ridiculous damage, and it's so easy to aim when you're in midrange.
I agree. I pretty much never miss with it. And against skilled players it is pretty much impossible to dodge.

But Hellfires are badly in need of help. They're great for stomping newbies but suck in every other area. The firing delay, the slow travel speed, the high spread... they've just got too much working against them to be a viable secondary.

Do you mean the trial mechs? The trial mechs can be upgraded after you buy them with HC/MC. The current trials are not very good, I would recommend sticking with the CR-T. It's the strongest mech in the game and can hold its ground against pretty much anything (and will generally style on Bruisers, who are prone to having 75% of their damage dodged).

The thing is I have only access to Scout or Rocketter. I don't have or see the Cube mech everybody have

Izayoi

Banned
The thing is I have only access to Scout or Rocketter. I don't have or see the Cube mech everybody have
I would definitely contact support (or just create another account) if that's the case. Everyone is supposed to start with the Microwave fully unlocked and ready to go.

Izayoi

Banned
The Grenadier is awesome. I've only used it in TDM so far, but I can't imagine the kind of damage it will cause in objective gametypes.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Did you skip the tutorial? In the tutorial you go through the process of unlocking the first mech, I wonder if you skip it you don't unlock the C-RT?

The Grenadier is awesome. I've only used it in TDM so far, but I can't imagine the kind of damage it will cause in objective gametypes.
It's great for choke points. You can hold down an entire team while chilling behind a wall, without getting shot.

Anyone have any recommendations for what mech I should be shooting for unlocking next? As much as I love my television, I'm eventually going to want to try some new ones out.

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations for what mech I should be shooting for unlocking next? As much as I love my television, I'm eventually going to want to try some new ones out.
The Berserker is the TV except smaller, faster, and more frail. I like it a lot, but it can be frustrating at first because you're a lot more squishy than the Assault.

Grenadier is the best C-class mech, but there's a very steep learning curve.

web01

Quote to see code

Doesn't work! None of these damn codes ever work.

Also pay to win definitely ruins this game. Played a match where my team was all using the starting mech vs a team all using the mech with a grenade launcher and they had so much health and fire power we couldnt do anything. Their KDR was at a 5:1 ratio.

Not having a basic set of class mechs available to all players fucks this game over.

superbank

Quote to see code

This code has no more charges left.

No more. :(

Also pay to win definitely ruins this game. Played a match where my team was all using the starting mech vs a team all using the mech with a grenade launcher and they had so much health and fire power we couldnt do anything. Their KDR was at a 5:1 ratio.

Not having a basic set of class mechs available to all players fucks this game over.
You can still dominate with the basic mech. It just depends on the team match up. I'm of the belief that the team with more experienced players will win regardless of what mech they use. I agree they should at least have another option. It ended today but they were letting us try the C-RT, Rocketeer, and Scout for a week or so.

Scrabble

I was surprised how team based the game is. Individual skill really doesn't mean much when you have just one more mech shooting at you, and one on one duels a lot of the time just boil down to who had the most health entering the encounter. Also pretty much every game is one sided.

I was surprised how team based the game is. Individual skill really doesn't mean much when you have just one more mech shooting at you, and one on one duels a lot of the time just boil down to who had the most health entering the encounter. Also pretty much every game is one sided.

You guys are both wrong, the game is considerably skill-based and the grenadier in particular is probably OP (has nothing to do with the game being "P2W", which it definitely is not - the starter mech is still the strongest in the game).

A skilled player can take up a strong position, dodge most of the projectiles coming their way and come out on top of a 2-on-1 encounter. It's difficult, but it SHOULD be difficult. No man is an island, an' all that jazz.

I contacted support and a day later they answered me. It's a known issue and they are fixing it. They gave me some credits (roughly 6k) so I can buy a new mech.

Hell yeah. I bought the Bruiser and spend 5 bucks on a Berzerker. Having fun.

I can't see the complaints of any mechs being OP or this game being P2W. I still have yet to even touch any of the mechs outside of the CR-T, and my k/d is always positive. Maybe this type of shooter doesn't click with people, but this game really reminds me of Gears of War 1 which is high praise from me. That game was incredibly light on modes and available weapons. I'd say it was also very skill based like Hawken when the majority of players used the Gnasher Shotgun, and the ones with a better handling of the gun and better with movement (rolling and jumping between cover) were the players that did well.

I've had instances when playing Missile Assault where it can be get pretty one-sided, but FFA and TD are fair game. Each mech has their own strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited when in an encounter.

I had a moment the other day where I took down a mech who put me at around 80 health. I immediately escaped the area where other enemy mechs were, dropped down, and tried to heal behind a column. One enemy mech with 75% health dropped down spotted me and started shooting when I was had just stopped healing at around 200 health. I was still able to take him out with two careful TOW shots and a lot of side dashes.

This is the most satisfying shooter that I've played in a long time.

web01

You guys are both wrong, the game is considerably skill-based and the grenadier in particular is probably OP (has nothing to do with the game being "P2W", which it definitely is not - the starter mech is still the strongest in the game).

A skilled player can take up a strong position, dodge most of the projectiles coming their way and come out on top of a 2-on-1 encounter. It's difficult, but it SHOULD be difficult. No man is an island, an' all that jazz.

If equally matched players vs each other the one that has the better paid mech with all the extras unlocked that give them a gun turret or a emp etc are going to win.
The speed you unlock the blue credits is so slow that free players have next to nothing.

You also need different mechs to counter different situations / mechs but free players only have the basic. Which is why a team of paid users can wipe the floor of those not paying. Had the developers give a basic sniper,heavy,scout medium etc to all players these probelms would not be as bad.

The game is pay to win and those that are paying now are winning. If you think otherwise you are delusional

If equalled matched players vs each other the one that has the better paid mech with all the extras unlocked that give them a gun turret or a emp etc are going to win.
The speed you unlock the blue credits is so slow that free players have next to nothing.

You also need different mechs to counter different situations / mechs but free players only have the basic. Which is why a team of paid users can wipe the floor of those not paying.

The game is pay to win and those that are paying now are winnin. If you think otherwise you are delusional
HAHA! No. You're talking from where the sun-don't-shine.

I topped leaderboards with a level 1 CR-T Recruit without any issue whatsoever. The problem here is simply that you were faced against a team that was far superior to your own, not that they simply out-geared you. There is literally no situation that a team of good Recruits cannot deal with.

The matchmaking needs work, and it will get worked on. But it is not P2W, and I'm getting really sick and tired of people claiming such.

If it really irks you that much, just play FFA DM, where terribly mismatched teams never occur.

Artanisix

It's only PAY2WIN in a very weak sense... Recruits are the best mech right now, and level ups and optimization points don't give giant gamebreaking bonuses to your mech. The latter you can't even get without leveling up anyway so it's a moot point. It's more like play 2 win than pay 2 win. Which makes sense.

web01

HAHA! No. You're talking from where the sun-don't-shine.

I topped leaderboards with a level 1 CR-T Recruit without any issue whatsoever. The problem here is simply that you were faced against a team that was far superior to your own, not that they simply out-geared you. There is literally no situation that a team of good Recruits cannot deal with.

The matchmaking needs work, and it will get worked on. But it is not P2W, and I'm getting really sick and tired of people claiming such.

If it really irks you that much, just play FFA DM, where terribly mismatched teams never occur.

Yeah that is simply not true you just wait until you come up against a team of heavy mechs with gun turrets, emp, repair fastener and so on while only the people on your team have basic mech.

For you to top the leader boards at lvl 1 you would be facing complete noobs because any adequate player will win if they have all the extras against those who do not in a stronger mech.

It's only PAY2WIN in a very weak sense... Recruits are the best mech right now, and level ups and optimization points don't give giant gamebreaking bonuses to your mech. The latter you can't even get without leveling up anyway so it's a moot point. It's more like play 2 win than pay 2 win. Which makes sense.

You earn like 100 blue credits a game which last 15minutes. You will be playing for hundreds of hours just to unlock a few basic things.
Not counting points they give away as a promotion.

Artanisix

I'm pretty sure the "repair fastener" is level locked, isn't it?

I top the scoreboards quite often with my trusty scout against level 20+ recruit mechs. Gun turrets aren't even that great. Sounds like a serious skill issue here.

The only ability that I could maybe see someone thinking is OP would be the EMP, but then again, I've been able to escape after being hit by one numerous times.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only time I really lose duels is if I'm in close quarters without much space to maneuver or if they're really good at rushing me down. As a Sharpshooter, mid and long range engagements are a piece of cake, and it's not that out of the ordinary for me to take on 2 Recruits at once with adequate cover and jumping around. Sabot is reliable longrange damage, while the TOW is a crap shoot at anything but point blank ranges.

I got my own code emailed to me, it was a different code than the one posted above

Izayoi

Banned
Medium mechs are the most versatile, and right now, the Assault is easily the most powerful when used properly. Light mechs die very quickly, and heavy mechs are slow to deal with the lighter weight classes.

Individual skill really doesn't mean much when you have just one more mech shooting at you, and one on one duels a lot of the time just boil down to who had the most health entering the encounter.
I frequently enter 1v2 encounters and come out on top. 1v3 can get pretty hairy if I'm in a light mech, but with the heavier weight classes and a map with a lot of cover (Prosk especially), I can usually survive long enough for help from my team to arrive (and maybe even take one or two out in the process). It's all about learning the maps, learning the way the mechs move, and learning how to predict what others are going to do. The best players are the ones who are unpredictable.

I contacted support and a day later they answered me. It's a known issue and they are fixing it. They gave me some credits (roughly 6k) so I can buy a new mech.

Hell yeah. I bought the Bruiser and spend 5 bucks on a Berzerker. Having fun.
That's awesome, I'm glad they took care of you. Meteor seems to be on top of their shit so far when it comes to customer service, even if their servers are a bit flaky and the communication on the forums isn't as good as it could be.

You also need different mechs to counter different situations / mechs but free players only have the basic. Which is why a team of paid users can wipe the floor of those not paying. Had the developers give a basic sniper,heavy,scout medium etc to all players these probelms would not be as bad.
The Recruit with an Assault Rifle is good in almost every situation, no exceptions so far. I've been rolled by entire teams of CR-Ts, it really is not P2W, as much as you might like to believe that it is.

For you to top the leader boards at lvl 1 you would be facing complete noobs because any adequate player will win if they have all the extras against those who do not in a stronger mech.
That's simply not true. I've topped the leaderboards with virgin mechs. Levels don't really mean much, they give you access to optimizations which make very little difference, and a few internals which have hefty penalties for the bonus they give.

The only ability that I could maybe see someone thinking is OP would be the EMP, but then again, I've been able to escape after being hit by one numerous times.
I've never actually been killed as the result of an EMP before. I've killed people who were EMP'd, but that's because they usually panic and do the worst possible thing they can (run directly away, giving you a clear shot at their back).

superbank

Like blainethemono said you get a code through email. I guess their strategy is to give us just enough credits to unlock a few mechs through these promotions to make us want to spend money on other things?

First review's up from PC Gamer. Added to the OP.
What's wrong with their screens? They look saturated.

There's definitely a problem with knowing how much health I have left. They should add a red flashing light that illuminates the cockpit or something. It would be like CoDs jam filter except it makes sense!

Artanisix

Yeah I can definitely echo their complaints about the feeling of being hit and hitting an enemy. There isn't enough of an impact to show you're really landing your shots.

Top Bottom