• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawken |OT| Why would you put legs on a tank?

Izayoi

Banned
Those were some fun matches.
GAF kicked some Hawken ass tonight. Nerf GAF.

I had a blast, too. Game was tons of fun. Destroying other mechs feels so satisfying because of how much effort is required to actually get a kill in this game.
Awesome stuff guys. I really, really like this game.

Sorry for bailing at the end, Hat. I think my video card was overheating because I was crashing frequently.

Oh my God I forgot about Oculus Rift support.

I think my eyes would explode out of my skull if I tried that thing. Hawken looks so good already.
Yeah I'm really stoked for the Oculus Rift in general. Things will look drop-dead gorgeous with Hawken.
They could not have picked a better reason to delay it. I'm definitely willing to trade three months for a better screen.

I wish these free to play games had a normal retail option that just unlocked everything at a normal rate like a non f2p game did. Id happily drop £40 on this.

Izayoi

Banned
I wish these free to play games had a normal retail option that just unlocked everything at a normal rate like a non f2p game did. Id happily drop £40 on this.
You missed the pre-order initiative unfortunately. They gave a great deal on MC and 14 free days of double HC/XP. I'll never spend all of the credits I have now, I've already got everything I want and I've only used around 3000 (with almost 10000 left over).

KKRT00

They cant do this, because F2P are planned to run for many years and get new content for many years, unlike one payed games that get almost no free content updates after release.

The matchmaking seems mostly better now (server browser still cannot return quick enough).

I've added my name to the spreadsheet and I play most days in team death match and missile assault; mainly UK and US East servers.

Has anybody used or seen a counter measure used yet? I can't say I like the idea of them much seeing as you pay for them and they counter act certain things like EMPs, over heating.

Unicorn

I use the reduce heat one. Doesn't seem to eat into my allotment and it is only handy in a few situations. If I'm overheating it means I'm being inefficient in my attacks and probably in a bad situation anyway, fighting multiple enemies. Usually if I book it I've cooled down enough to start attacking again. Mostly use it to quickly get back in and provide support fire.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All these newbies giving me free kills.

Feels good man.

zomaha

anyone else experience or heard of a glitch that makes the screen rotate 360 degrees like a broken joystick? i thought it was weird when the mech kept rotating in the garage, but realized something was wrong when it did that in a match. no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.

sixghost

I realized why the game feels so empty to me. Almost nothing outside of your mech actually makes much noise. I wonder if that was a deliberate choice on the part of the dev to try and foster some sort of disconnected feeling from the rest of the world, or if the mixing is just off.

Izayoi

Banned
Has anybody used or seen a counter measure used yet? I can't say I like the idea of them much seeing as you pay for them and they counter act certain things like EMPs, over heating.
Never had one used on me, as far as I can tell. I haven't used any of my initial stock either, but other than the EMP one they all seem pretty useless. You won't overheat if you're careful and almost nobody uses the Radar Jammer.

Added myself to the spreadsheet.

Yeah, I was not so in to this during the closed beta due to the lack of controller support but now, it feels great (after you remap a few buttons). Good times for sure.

antitrop

For those playing M/Kb style, have any of you found a "sweet spot" for mouse sensitivity. With varying DPI settings I'm just looking for a general sentiment.

Do you find yourself more accurate with low sensitivity or high?

In games like Counter-Strike I always liked to have the DPI relatively high, but Hawken's "advanced" maneuver and escape options makes me feel like I can be more accurate with a low sensitivity while still being able to escape situations by using the 180 turn and dashes.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Right now I'm using default Windows mouse speed, default Hawken mouse speed (0.5, I think?) and 2400dpi on the Razer drivers. For stuff like CS, LoL, and StarCraft II I like to bump it up in the 5000's, but this game is totally different.

Haly

I'm just Haly.

I doing stuff on Rocketeer and Scout cause I don't want to spend any money just yet. I hopped on the planetside bandwagon early but I hardly touch it now.

antitrop

It's remarkable how many people make absolutely no effort to dodge getting shot. Must not have played the tutorial.

There are so many people who will just sit in one place and hold down the machine gun at you, all the while I'm shooting back, shooting rockets, side-dodging, circle-strafing, and hovering all over the place. The learning curve isn't THAT bad, some people just don't even make an effort to learn how the game works before jumping into competitive matchmaking.

The tutorial takes less time than 1 round of Team Deathmatch, people are so lazy.

Artanisix

I like Hawken a LOT more than Planetside, mainly because: I don't have to spend 5 minutes running to a fight, I don't die instantly, I can't get camped in a fucking spawn room for half an hour, and because I'm a badass mech.

There's something about instant-death shooters that really turns me off.

Izayoi

Banned
I enjoy Hawken a lot more than Planetside 2 as well. I think part of it is that you basically need an entire squad of people in Planetside to really do anything, but you can hop into any game in Hawken and still be good, even if you're by yourself.

Right now I'm using default Windows mouse speed, default Hawken mouse speed (0.5, I think?) and 2400dpi on the Razer drivers. For stuff like CS, LoL, and StarCraft II I like to bump it up in the 5000's, but this game is totally different.
I keep my sensitivity pegged for all games, so I'm probably not the best example, but I use 5600DPI with a polling rate of 1000. I left the in-game sensitivity at default and forced mouse acceleration off. It works great for me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

epmode

For those playing M/Kb style, have any of you found a "sweet spot" for mouse sensitivity. With varying DPI settings I'm just looking for a general sentiment.

High sensitivity in this game is partially wasted because of the turning speed restriction.

see5harp

I like Hawken a LOT more than Planetside, mainly because: I don't have to spend 5 minutes running to a fight, I don't die instantly, I can't get camped in a fucking spawn room for half an hour, and because I'm a badass mech.

There's something about instant-death shooters that really turns me off.

I'll have to try this out for sure because those are my exact complaints with Planetside 2. So little reward for so much effort and 95% clusterfuck.

Izayoi

Banned
Something that has really struck me about Hawken compared to most other F2P "arena" shooters (hell, even compared to many retail AAA FPS) is the amazing map design. The verticality of the maps adds a lot. I think the game has a great future ahead of it if they can keep pushing out maps like the ones we have. I look forward to seeing the Missile Assault map from the Alpha return.

Haly

High sensitivity in this game is partially wasted because of the turning speed restriction.
This, it's there to simulate the turning speed of the mech. You just have to adjust to it.

epmode

This, it's there to simulate the turning speed of the mech. You just have to adjust to it.

I know, I like it. I keep the sensitivity lower here than in most games.

The slower turning speed plus an instant 180 function is a little weird though!

antitrop

Alright, I just bought $25 worth of Meteor Points. Let's see what I can fuck around with here.

As far as I'm concerned I've already had way more than $25 worth of fun out of this game since Alpha, so I don't even mind.

Anyone have recommendations on how I should spend the spacebucks before I waste it all on cosmetic shit? :p

deleted

Does anyone else has a complete gray Friendslist? I get the invitations, but the other players don't show up anywhere...

Unicorn

Something that has really struck me about Hawken compared to most other F2P "arena" shooters (hell, even compared to many retail AAA FPS) is the amazing map design. The verticality of the maps adds a lot. I think the game has a great future ahead of it if they can keep pushing out maps like the ones we have. I look forward to seeing the Missile Assault map from the Alpha return.

I haven't been too impressed. With jumping there's an altitude max that seems too low. Forces you to platforms to get to where you're going, which doesn't make much sense. also, ceilings and odd corners get me stuck a lot.

But as far as map flow, I think it is pretty good. Lots of different conflict areas.

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone have recommendations on how I should spend the spacebucks before I waste it all on cosmetic shit? :p
I haven't tried it yet, but the Heat Infiltrator is really good if you're looking for a light mech apparently. Right now I'm trying out the Berserker, and I do like the increased speed, but it seems just a tad bit too flimsy. Stay away from C-class, at least until they get a buff.

Zeliard

In games like Counter-Strike I always liked to have the DPI relatively high, but Hawken's "advanced" maneuver and escape options makes me feel like I can be more accurate with a low sensitivity while still being able to escape situations by using the 180 turn and dashes.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Them's some high DPIs

I use a DPI of 500 and a fairly low sens in general for competitive shooters, i.e. Quake Live and Tribes Ascend. Using DPI 500 here as well.

The ultra-slow turning speed takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're coming into Hawken from more fast-paced, kinetic shooters with no movement restrictions.

antitrop

I only use the mouse to make minor adjustments in turning.

The vast majority of my movement is done using dashes and 180 turns.

Just had a 13/2/17 TDM game. It felt glorious.

Zeliard

The game artificially limits turning speed so the instant 180 turn is pretty much mandatory unless you're using some ungodly high sensitivity that lets you spin around on a dime.

I like the side dashes.

I think one thing that makes me gravitate more to a game like Hawken is the fairly weighty feeling to the mechs. It makes sense in this game since they're mechs, but it reminds me of something like Killzone 2. It certainly doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's something that feels refreshing to me.

jsrv

Haven't kept up with hawken since alpha. Are they planning on adding the game to Steam or are they going to remain independent?

Izayoi

Banned
The game artificially limits turning speed so the instant 180 turn is pretty much mandatory unless you're using some ungodly high sensitivity that lets you spin around on a dime.
Thankfully you rarely need to actually use the 180 to face people, as long as you're paying attention to your radar. People don't seem to understand that they can avoid radar detection as long as they don't fire and don't boost or jump, and frequently you'll have people who think they're being sneaky boost on their way to flank you.

Thankfully you rarely need to actually use the 180 to face people, as long as you're paying attention to your radar. People don't seem to understand that they can avoid radar detection as long as they don't fire and don't boost or jump, and frequently you'll have people who think they're being sneaky boost on their way to flank you.

Do jumping and boosting show up on radar when close by or is it about not wanting the other players to hear you?

I just can't stop playing this game! So incredibly addictive.

My mechs just look soooo gooood.

Screenshot295099.png

Haven't kept up with hawken since alpha. Are they planning on adding the game to Steam or are they going to remain independent?
No idea. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the game show up on Steam later, but I don't know what their plans are.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

No idea. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the game show up on Steam later, but I don't know what their plans are.

Did you name your mech honey bunny after the pink mech in EX Troopers? Seems a little too coincidental.

Izayoi

Banned
Do jumping and boosting show up on radar when close by or is it about not wanting the other players to hear you?
They show up on radar. Think of just plain old walking like crouch walking in Halo (or other games with motion trackers).

They can also be heard, but usually there's so much other noise that it doesn't really matter.

Almost 25 on my Assault!

Did you name your mech honey bunny after the pink mech in EX Troopers? Seems a little too coincidental.
I have no idea what EX Troopers is, so yes, it is just a coincidence. (A highly appropriate coincidence, at that...)

I just felt like "Honey Bunny" was an appropriate companion name to "Lover".

They show up on radar. Think of just plain old walking like crouch walking in Halo (or other games with motion trackers).

They can also be heard, but usually there's so much other noise that it doesn't really matter.

Almost 25 on my Assault!

Wow, thanks for bringing that up then. I had no idea! I tend to lone wolf it and try to flank so this is good to know.

WX3

Holy balls, this game is fun. I'm one of the noobs every skilled player racks the kills up on but I couldn't give less than a fuck right now, just too much fun. I have not delved into the Mech gaming scene at all save for a rental of Chromehounds in 2007 or so? I'm not one to get into details on my pricing scheme opinions of F2P titles so I am just basing my early thoughts on the game itself. I had a buddy over when I first launched the game and he picked up the phone to call a mutual acqaintance and tell him about HAWKEN. This guy was a diehard Chromehounds fan who doesn't currently own a gaming PC.

Since he has income to toss around, I bet within 24 hours we are all talking about putting together a rig JUST for this game. It may not be for everyone, but everyone should give it shot if you are a shooter fan I believe. Why not?

antitrop

I am super jealous of that mech.

Holy balls, this game is fun. I'm one of the noobs every skilled player racks the kills up on but I couldn't give less than a fuck right now, just too much fun. I have not delved into the Mech gaming scene at all save for a rental of Chromehounds in 2007 or so? I'm not one to get into details on my pricing scheme opinions of F2P titles so I am just basing my early thoughts on the game itself. I had a buddy over when I first launched the game and he picked up the phone to call a mutual acqaintance and tell him about HAWKEN. This guy was a diehard Chromehounds fan who doesn't currently own a gaming PC.

Since he has income to toss around, I bet within 24 hours we are all talking about putting together a rig JUST for this game. It may not be for everyone, but everyone should give it shot if you are a shooter fan I believe. Why not?
If he has the money, tell him about the Oculus Rift and it will probably pique his interest.

Hawken is one of the first games to support it, coming soon.

WX3

I am super jealous of that mech.

If he has the money, tell him about the Oculus Rift and it will probably pique his interest.

Hawken is one of the first games to support it, coming soon.

Will do, thanks for the heads up! Reading here tells me this game has some awesome 3D support as well, which will make both of these guys drool! Until the Rift that is!

Nome

You missed the pre-order initiative unfortunately. They gave a great deal on MC and 14 free days of double HC/XP. I'll never spend all of the credits I have now, I've already got everything I want and I've only used around 3000 (with almost 10000 left over).

I was about to drop $100 on MC until I stumbled on that Vanguard Initiative thing. Then I got sad and changed my mind :(

1stStrike

Banned
I played this in alpha and closed beta... just never really got into it. I always thought the mechs were kinda crappy looking too. Also, way too much shit on screen to obscure your view for no reason (though some of it can be turned off/adjusted).

Never really liked the combat either. It feels kinda clunky with the jump jets feeling really unnatural and sluggish.

I really wanted to like it and made an honest attempt, but it's just not for me.

Top Bottom