• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hd-dvd to xbox2: "LET ME BE IN YOU"

seanoff

Like Sony, MS need to be careful here. If HD-DVD doesn't get any traction then they will be left with a dud format, possibly removing some of the attractiveness of Xbox2 to the more casual consumers who will also use it as movie player.

Don't bite me, Sony are in the same position with Blu-ray altho the BR consortium is a powerful beast with Philips, Matsushita, LG, Samsung, Dell & HP also pushing the format.

Joe

why not just use dual layer dvds?

i dont care what anyone says i just dont see a significant amount of people buying their movies on blu-ray or hd-dvd.

Jonnyram

seanoff said:
Like Sony, MS need to be careful here. If HD-DVD doesn't get any traction then they will be left with a dud format, possibly removing some of the attractiveness of Xbox2 to the more casual consumers who will also use it as movie player.

Don't bite me, Sony are in the same position with Blu-ray altho the BR consortium is a powerful beast with Philips, Matsushita, LG, Samsung, Dell & HP also pushing the format.

At least Microsoft would only be using it as a high volume medium for storing game data, whereas Sony will likely push it as the new medium of choice for repurchasing all your movies.

teiresias

At least Microsoft would only be using it as a high volume medium for storing game data, whereas Sony will likely push it as the new medium of choice for repurchasing all your movies.

Does the sand you have your head buried in taste good? HD-DVD is the competing hi-def disc standard, so if Xbox2 uses it the unit will no doubt be able to play the pre-recorded film content that will be available on it, just like PS3 and Blu-Ray.

To think there's some Sony-exclusive conspiracy to force the world to buy movies over again is fanboyish paranoia at its best.

You don't have to buy any movie over again in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format if you don't want to do so. If you're content with the DVD picture quality, by all means keep using it, but if you upgrade your display to a hi-res display and want the hi-res version of a movie, yes you'll have to rebuy it - what, you want it for free or something? Next time you go in to work just tell your employer you'll gladly get rid of your salary and work strictly volunteer work, I'm sure they'll love it and give you way more hours too!!

If it can be done, I'm all for Xenon using HD-DVD. If not, no big deal, IMO. It'd be interesting to see if BRD could be utilized in the system, though.

Jonnyram

teiresias said:
Does the sand you have your head buried in taste good? HD-DVD is the competing hi-def disc standard, so if Xbox2 uses it the unit will no doubt be able to play the pre-recorded film content that will be available on it, just like PS3 and Blu-Ray.
That's not what I meant. Microsoft have stated that they are focusing on games, but Sony's ideals are well-known to involve converging media. The rest of your post was just ridiculous :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Joe said:
why not just use dual layer dvds?

i dont care what anyone says i just dont see a significant amount of people buying their movies on blu-ray or hd-dvd.
These new formats aren't just being created to sell HD movies...they're being created for their general usefulness in data storage and other media needs. For example, to serve as replacements/upgrades for existing VCR/Tivo solutions.

Jonnyram

teiresias said:
And my "head in the sand" comment is still exceedingly applicable.
Microsoft is not in the movie industry, they don't care about movie sales on a media they are not collecting royalties from. Sure, they are in the console business because OS sales are being hit by consoles that can surf the web and store music and photos, but they don't have any real interest in the movie industry AFAIK.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Thing is (as was mentioned ealier), if HD-DVD flops as a movie standard then MS are left with an expenisve piece of kit in their console thats not going to get any cheaper to produce because they'll be the only people wanting them. So being oblivious the movie industry would be fairly impossible if they went with this solution.

Jonnyram

OK, I'm getting pulled in a certain direction here, which isn't much to my liking.
My original comment was regaring Microsoft being left with a dud if HD-DVD fails in the movie industry. My stance is that they won't. I know this is unfounded, but I don't see users being given the same recording opportunities with BluRay as they are with HD-DVD. I see HD-DVD as the natural successor to DVD-R, whereas BluRay will have DRM slapped all over it because of who is backing it. If HD-DVD takes off as a high-volume medium on PCs, for backup purposes or whatever, it is not going to cost Microsoft in the long run. It may seem like one hell of an assumption to you, but I've got a strong hunch about it.

The argument that I didn't particularly want to get involved in is about the prospects of any new format for home movies. I think it's too much too early. I really don't think the movie industry will play a huge part in the success of either format for the next 5 years.

jarrod

Banned
Ghost said:
Thing is (as was mentioned ealier), if HD-DVD flops as a movie standard then MS are left with an expenisve piece of kit in their console thats not going to get any cheaper to produce because they'll be the only people wanting them. So being oblivious the movie industry would be fairly impossible if they went with this solution.
I think it really depends on what kind of deal MS get out of NEC/Toshiba (who seem surprisingly eager to get HD-DVD in Xenon). Matsushitsa/NEC don't mind producing GOD drives only for Nintendo after all, same before with Yamaha/NEC and GD-ROM for Sega... even if HD-DVD fails as a movie format, it could still be used for Xenon successfully.

teiresias

Microsoft is not in the movie industry, they don't care about movie sales on a media they are not collecting royalties from.

Microsoft owns one of the primary video codecs being considered and/or used on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
jarrod said:
I think it really depends on what kind of deal MS get out of NEC/Toshiba (who seem surprisingly eager to get HD-DVD in Xenon). Matsushitsa/NEC don't mind producing GOD drives only for Nintendo after all, same before with Yamaha/NEC and GD-ROM for Sega... even if HD-DVD fails as a movie format, it could still be used for Xenon successfully.

Doesnt GOD use the same technology as DVD drives though? Its the lack of other blue laser technology on the market that could hurt MS (and sony too i suppose), if it doesnt take off, cheaper production methods simply wont be invented.

jarrod

Banned
Ghost said:
Doesnt GOD use the same technology as DVD drives though? Its the lack of other blue laser technology on the market that could hurt MS (and sony too i suppose), if it doesnt take off, cheaper production methods simply wont be invented.
Sure, but HD-DVD has the advantage of being able to convert regular DVD production lines over with minimal effort (the demonstration was like 45 minutes iirc). Even if HD-DVD is used only for Xenon in the end, I don't see it as a costly mistake in the long run, especially if Xenon's set to double Xbox's performance as predicted.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Xenon could use Blu-Ray IMHO, it would be a worthy investment for them, better than going the HD-DVD route IMHO.

Johnnyram, Blu-Ray all CRM-ed up the arse, but mighty HD-DVD ROM for movies will not ? Dream again ;).

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Xenon could use Blu-Ray IMHO, it would be a worthy investment for them, better than going the HD-DVD route IMHO.
I dunno, I don't see the BD forum giving the same incentives to Microsoft that NEC/Toshiba would in terms of production savings. BD might just be too prohibitavely expensive for Xenon, hell we're not even sure if HD-DVD will work for a $299 console late next year...

Top Bottom