• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Holy shit my second legendary! This is like Christmas for me since i have bad luck.

tRzEx.png

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Im so sick of playing against hunters. They all run the same deck. Ugh.

Weird, I hardly ever see hunters. All I ever see are Warlocks and their murloc/aggro rush decks or those stall decks where they drop mountain giants/twilight drakes and Defender of Argus for huge defenders on like turn six. So tired of those. And so sick of hearing mrgrgrrggrrrgl every time a match starts.

Holy shit my second legendary! This is like Christmas for me since i have bad luck.

Just got Al'akir too. I have not been that impressed so far. Stats are pretty low for an eight drop. Seem like you need to combo with rockbiter or flametounge for him to do any decent damage. Then that makes him turn nine or ten in the hope you get both cards. That or hope for some reason they already left your flametongue on the board at turn eight. I tried him for a few matches, wasn't impressed, then swapped him out for Rag.

If he had a lower cost or more damage or health, he'd seem more worth it. Anyone else have better luck with him?

Violet_0

Banned
just watched Deck Wars Kolento vs Gnimsh, Gnimish lost to a Handlock deck (again). Really seems like Handlock is the dominating deck in tourneys currently, it wasn't affected by the Pagle/Tinker nerfs either but got even better thanks to losing one of it's best counters. Turn 4 Mountain giants and 4/11 drakes and Watchers/Leeroy shadowflames coupled with the deck's draw power is just really silly most of the time

Just got Al'akir too. I have not been that impressed so far. Stats are pretty low for an eight drop. Seem like you need to combo with rockbiter or flametounge for
If he had a lower cost or more damage or health, he'd seem more worth it. Anyone else have better luck with him?

he's played a lot in Shamans decks. The idea is to save a rockbiter or flametounge to get that 10/12 damage combo going, but he's decent enough to clear and stabilize the board if it's a close game, unlike Leeroy. He's the Shaman's version of Grommash with more utility and less raw stats

Neki

just watched Deck Wars Kolento vs Gnimsh, Gnimish lost to a Handlock deck (again). Really seems like Handlock is the dominating deck in tourneys currently, it wasn't affected by the Pagle/Tinker nerfs either but got even better thanks to losing one of it's best counters. Turn 4 Mountain giants and 4/11 drakes and Watchers/Leeroy shadowflames coupled with the deck's draw power is just really silly most of the time

he's played a lot in Shamans decks. The idea is to save a rockbiter or flametounge to get that 10/12 damage combo going, but he's decent enough to clear and stabilize the board if it's a close game, unlike Leeroy. He's the shaman's version of Grommash with more utility and less raw stats

it's weird because I think druid can do okay against handlock (which all pros run one deck of) but my deck is tailored against handlocks and hunters specifically, which you can't really do in a tournament setting. (I run black knight + bgh, and two taz'dingos). I just hate playing against handlock (funny coming from a druid)

Aylinato

So priest is a pretty fun class. I had 5 9+ attack minions on the board in arena vs a hunter. Hehehehe. I won obviously. Questing adventurer+ghoul+hunters inability to not kill every imp/2 health minion makes for good times

RPGCrazied

I usually win with my mage/rogue deck. I suck hard playing the warlock. I tried tinkering with the priest, got close a few times, but still lost.

Miracle Rogue is fun to play, but I find it really complicated as well. Maybe I'm not as good as good as I think I am. I could also not know how the deck works yet either.

I just hope no GAF'ers hate me for it!

TriGen

I just got Al'akir too -- and I really like him. I stopped playing Shaman a while ago, but he's got me back in.

The only legendaries I've pulled since I first started playing in December are Fordring, Harrison, and Al'akir. I really wish I could pull a damn good neutral.

scy

Miracle Rogue is fun to play, but I find it really complicated as well. Maybe I'm not as good as good as I think I am. I could also not know how the deck works yet either.

One of the first things to learn is to not be scared about your lack of a board presence. On top of that, sometimes you just have to Fan of Knives the air because it draws you a card so you need to "unlearn" getting the most value from cards. Don't blow too many resources early on. Like, Conceal is basically reserved for keeping Gadgetzan alive unless you already have enough pieces in hand to get to lethal.

I suppose all of that comes together to the most important part of Miracle Rogue: You're trying to assemble your kill. You're a Combo Control deck. You always need to be working towards how you're going to finish the game.

Also, you're usually just screwed against rush decks :x

Thanks for the tips Scy, it's been really fun so far.

I wish more decks had really long plays/big hands to deal out, but when you're playing that many cards, you're normally not getting good value outside of a kill.

A couple of quick questions regarding ranked play:

1. I just started playing and I see you start at rank 25 and work your way up. How does this work? At what level do you lose rank? If you hit level 1 is that as high as you can go?

2. Arena: To play costs gold doesn't it? Do I need to have good cards to play, or does it give you access to all the cards? Are all arena players really good? I ask because I've never played a TCG and I'm level 20 and have only lost 2 times in ranked play. When do people start getting really good?

A couple of quick questions regarding ranked play:

1. I just started playing and I see you start at rank 25 and work your way up. How does this work? At what level do you lose rank? If you hit level 1 is that as high as you can go?

2. Arena: To play costs gold doesn't it? Do I need to have good cards to play, or does it give you access to all the cards? Are all arena players really good? I ask because I've never played a TCG and I'm level 20 and have only lost 2 times in ranked play. When do people start getting really good?

Ranks 25-20 you can only go up in rank.

Arena is drafted, you get random cards.

So I'm playing someone first time after patch and the guys turn apparently doesn't END wtf

Huge bug?

Last I knew, there were bugs where people could intentionally lock their turn in/make it last forever. Most were fixed but that doesn't stop more from occurring.

scy

It goes from Rank 25 to Rank 1 and then Legendary is a separate "ladder" once you get beyond Rank 1. You can't lose stars until Rank 20.

2. Arena: To play costs gold doesn't it? Do I need to have good cards to play, or does it give you access to all the cards? Are all arena players really good?

Arena is a random draft. You're given a choice between 3 different cards 30 times (aka, you see 90 cards and pick 30 from them to build your deck). If you want to see that simulated, here's a simulator. And there's a good amount of "bad" players in Arena simply due to the drafting process adding an extra level of complexity to things. The skill floor is higher, basically, so it's easier to screw things up.

Edit: Things like Arena Value help a lot with the drafting process. And, if nothing else, lets you look over the draft later (/share the draft with others) to see where you went wrong with picks.

I ask because I've never played a TCG and I'm level 20 and have only lost 2 times in ranked play. When do people start getting really good?

Honestly, I don't really think Ranked is all that hard until Rank 5-ish. The rest is basically filler.

Mookow

Im running in to some serious gimmick decks all over. I'm hitting quite a wall with my paladin deck around 14, where I just have no answers. Then I get a rogue that buffs something to 19 DMG on turn 2. Argh

scy

Hm. +18 damage to a Mana Addict means it needs 2x Cold Blood and 3 other triggers (base 1 + 8 from 2x Cold Blood + 10 from 5x spells). So ... Coin Mana Addict on turn 1 into Shiv/Evisc/Backstab + 2x Preps + 2x Cold Bloods.

Takes their entire starting hand and first draws to go well, though, and leaves them top-decking after that. Shouldn't really be a huge issue to deal with since it's not even permanently buffed barring the Cold Bloods making it a 9/3.

Minsc

Gold Member
I really think Hunter is god awful, probably the worst class. If you don't build a UTH/Leeroy deck, you have about a 0% chance of winning in ranked. I just wanted one win as Hunter (without using a UTH/Leeroy build), and I tried at least 5 games with two different Hunter decks each and lost every one. Druid particularly, hunter stands no chance against. But I think I lost to three straight hunters with UTH+Leeroy+wolf (in a row), that combo is so annoying. The rest of my loses were to legendaries, mainly Rag. Closest to a win I came was a priest I had down to 1 life around turn 9, but he was able to play that dragon that sets your life to 15, and I just couldn't finish him off the next turn, so that was over.

scy

One of the most annoying decks I've run into recently has been the anti-Control Hunter, actually; not sure how it does vs other Control decks but it basically preys on the way Control Warrior normally plays vs Hunter. Though it still uses Leeroy + UtH as a way to force out 10-ish damage. That said, I don't know why you wouldn't use them short of just not wanting to. It's 3-5 cards (if we're counting Buzzard) that gives you a ton of burst damage and card draw. Basically every other class has something similar that they'll run for a similar purpose.

Card Boy

Banned
I wish they would add like 20 cards to each class. Most decks consist of like 50% minimum neutral card. Also gimme a Death Knight class featuring Arthas.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
matchmaking can be strange, a thrilling fatigure win versus a very clever player next game shaman hexes my 3 drop golemn and freezes my yeti.

A couple changes I'd like to see:

Grimscale Oracle: Cost changed to 2, HP up to 2
Coldlight Seer: Give murlocs next to it +2 HP
Murloc Warleader: All other murlocs have +1/+1

I guarantee Leeroy will be nerfed in some way in the not too distant future

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
80% of the time, it serves the same purpose as Argent Squire would have in your opening hand. But Argent Squire quickly becomes an unwanted topdeck draw, while Lightwarden still has good value. The reason for this is because of the Healing Totem. I've had people Fireball my Lightwarden even though I had 4 threats, just because it went to 7/2. You can also consider this a different version of the Argent Squire + Bloodknight combo. But instead of a 1/1 and 6/6, you combo it with Darkscale Healer for a 3/2 + 4/5.

I've wrote out the purpose of every card in this deck here if you're interested:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/37495-meta-destroyer

It's really fun to play. Like every deck sometimes you just draw like crap, but most of the time you'll find yourself countering soooo hard with Bloodknights, Mind Control Tech and Acidic Swamp Ooze. And for such an aggressive deck, Hex and Lightning Storm almost make it seem unfair because the classes it's designed to counter don't have equivalents running in their decks.

Love your detailed explanation, thanks!

A couple changes I'd like to see:

Grimscale Oracle: Cost changed to 2, HP up to 2
Coldlight Seer: Give murlocs next to it +2 HP
Murloc Warleader: All other murlocs have +1/+1

I guarantee Leeroy will be nerfed in some way in the not too distant future

No... murlocs definitely do not need more hp.

The other 2 changes, I am not sure about.

I think leeroy is fine. The thing about him being a finisher means that it is difficult to get utility out of him before then if necessary.

Also, people underestimate the meaning of 2 1/1 whelps. Sure... they are 1/1s... that is nothing in the mid-late game in terms of strength and power. But removing those minions generally means you are dealing 2 less damage to the opponent. So leeroy does 6 damage... your opponent gains to hp or 2 damage per turn or if they are just used to kill leeroy... they are free removals.

Lace

Playing this in windowed mode is amazing.

Out of curiosity how many packs would you guess it takes before you have most of the cards?

Also, people underestimate the meaning of 2 1/1 whelps. Sure... they are 1/1s... that is nothing in the mid-late game in terms of strength and power. But removing those minions generally means you are dealing 2 less damage to the opponent. So leeroy does 6 damage... your opponent gains to hp or 2 damage per turn or if they are just used to kill leeroy... they are free removals.

The two 1/1 whelps are useless 90% of the time because Leeroy is being used in combination with unleash the hounds, shadow step, cold blood, inner rage, etc as a massive finisher. In fact, the two whelps work against you when you are facing the Leeroy/unleash combo

I don't know, I'm just really starting to get tired of the current meta. Warrior aggro, Murlocs, Zoo, and Hunter aggro are about 80-90% of the matches I play against these days, and to be quite honest, I'm getting bored of it. Sure the game just "released", but it BADLY needs an influx of some new cards

The two 1/1 whelps are useless 90% of the time because Leeroy is being used in combination with unleash the hounds, shadow step, cold blood, inner rage, etc as a massive finisher. In fact, the two whelps work against you when you are facing the Leeroy/unleash combo

I don't know, I'm just really starting to get tired of the current meta. Warrior aggro, Murlocs, Zoo, and Hunter aggro are about 80-90% of the matches I play against these days, and to be quite honest, I'm getting bored of it. Sure the game just "released", but it BADLY needs an influx of some new cards

Like I said. You are underestimating the value of the whelps. The fact that they are there makes leeroy generally a finisher combo. That means it is a dead card the rest of the match. That is meaningful in this game.

I'm not facing 90% aggro decks. Most of the time when I am up against hunters they are mid-range decks. Shaman mid-range. Warrior control. Warlock handlock (half/half with zoo though). Miracle rogue (is not an aggro deck). Sometimes midrange rogues. Midrange and control druids. That is pretty good variety tbh. And sure, occasionally there will be face rush hunter, but that is rarer nowadays cause it is kinda luck based if you are bad with it. Rarely, and I mean rarely now do I run into burn warrior decks, even rarer rush warrior... Also, the zoo warlock deck is not really a rush deck, it is a board control deck. A very good one that can be hard to take tempo from.

This stupid deck is probably my favorite right now. All I did was throw in every Legendary card I have, then just a handful of cards with decent value and a tiny bit of healing. It's pretty awful, but fun when it works.

ShinNL

This stupid deck is probably my favorite right now. All I did was throw in every Legendary card I have, then just a handful of cards with decent value and a tiny bit of healing. It's pretty awful, but fun when it works.
Not a Warlock myself, but this is the style I've been testing since I've gotten 2 more legendaries 3 days ago. Putting all your Legendaries in a deck and then the rest of the deck is 'fake aggression'. So far I had the most success with Rogue with this style (minions that summon minions and then suddenly Legendary after Legendary). Warrior kind of lacks board presence after the initial aggression, causing big card disadvantage so that one is kind of a fail build. Shaman seems to do okay but it's easy to get bad draws against a rush deck.

My most recent Mage Legendaries deck is doing a lot better than all previous decks though. Instead of fake aggression, you just freeze stuff and play Alarm-o-Bots. So much fun :D

Not a Warlock myself, but this is the style I've been testing since I've gotten 2 more legendaries 3 days ago. Putting all your Legendaries in a deck and then the rest of the deck is 'fake aggression'. So far I had the most success with Rogue with this style (minions that summon minions and then suddenly Legendary after Legendary). Warrior kind of lacks board presence after the initial aggression, causing big card disadvantage so that one is kind of a fail build. Shaman seems to do okay but it's easy to get bad draws against a rush deck.

My most recent Mage Legendaries deck is doing a lot better than all previous decks though. Instead of fake aggression, you just freeze stuff and play Alarm-o-Bots. So much fun :D

I agree, I'd prefer not to use Warlock, but the only class Legendary I have is Jaraxxus, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!

So, if I end up with a class Legendary from somewhere else I'll probably swap to that class. In the mean time, being able to reset my health to 15 twice is handy, especially with a potential for 10 extra healing from my various minions/spells.

Xater

Man I want Jaraxxus so bad....

BTW did anyone watch the developer Q&A? Did anything interesting come out of that?

Aylinato

Man I want Jaraxxus so bad....

BTW did anyone watch the developer Q&A? Did anything interesting come out of that?

My other day I got golden jarraxus when in a game versus a warlock. I played it when I had 4 minions and he quit. Lol

I was a priest

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man I'd really like to try this out but I havent been able to sign in, error BLZBNTBGS8000000A. Anyone experiencing this? I been checking the official forums but no fix seems to be available there

scy

I think I've seen one Warrior aggro deck in Rank 5+. If ~85% of my games were aggro, I'd be beyond happy, though I'd note that Zoo isn't a rush deck. It's so easy to just build and play a deck to counter just that. Aggro, in general, accounts for maybe 50% of my games if I had to guess. I really should keep better stats.

As for Leeroy ... I dunno. I think he's perfectly fine. He's a finisher. A dead draw in all but the game-ending play (well, smart Hunter players use him earlier if able). You know precisely how much damage the can be able to do so you play around those. He's just a Neutral Fireball that requires other cards to make him hit significant numbers. He's flat out worse than some class-specific setups so it fulfills the whole "Neutral slightly worse than Class" stuff too.

Xater

Apparently I took the screenshot at a bad time but you can still see that this bug still exists:

bildschirmfoto2014-0358syw.png

Also hello there :D :

bildschirmfoto2014-03a1ql7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom