• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylinato

Was that from the card being out back into the hand?

Now I see what cards you got makes me upset. Grrr. I think I have the worst luck of all gaffers

Xater

Was that from the card being out back into the hand?

Now I see what cards you got makes me upset. Grrr. I think I have the worst luck of all gaffers

Yep it's from him using an Ancient Brewmaster.

Also I think this is the 3rd or 4th Legendary I actually got from a pack. Which considering for how long I have this game is not that many.

inky

Hmm, thanks for filling the board against a hunter bro... with low health creatures too.

gHauwHc.jpg

rcl66

Man I want Jaraxxus so bad....

BTW did anyone watch the developer Q&A? Did anything interesting come out of that?

Most interesting thing to me was iPad version is very close. Not months, probably more than a couple days. Will be out in next couple weeks. They are on the final builds.

Had two Arena runs last night. There is no greater feeling than going from 0-2 to a 6-3. Second run was a 5-3or 4-3. Two dismal packs out of it hah. This game has some really great highs.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I just forced 3 wins in Arena in games I should not have won. (as paladin)

First against a priest, perfect cards on his hand, every minion gets either shadowworded or killed by his minions he just heals up endlessly. When I finally establish board control, he mind controls my spiteful smith... and next turn novas my minions. Plays Thoughtsteal, plays mind vision and gets some of my best cards of course.

I have only one token left, no cards on hand and his board is nearly full with stuff. I was about to concede at least 2 times, but I just thought, fuck this guy, I will drag this out as long as possible...
He ignores my token and goes for face, I survive the turn, and draw blessing of kings
He had 5 health left....

Next game against shaman, nearly the same thing. He has perfect answers to all my cards, baits out my equality perfectly to play a earth elemental next turn...
Somehow manage to hold on long enough to get a spiteful smith out with my Truesilver.
He plays a taunt to block my truesilver...if it dies I don't have enough damage to finish him off. I draw shattered sun cleric and buff it up just right so it can survive the taunt minion... Victory

And then a paladin that played blessing of wisdom on my scarlet crusader and I have nothing in my deck to give that card taunt, so I said fuck it, casted blessing of kings on it and went face. So every card he got, cost him 7 HP. Threw down my Mukla to basically flood his hand. He couldn't handle the crusader, especially after I played my second Blessing of Kings. He drew no silence or equality so I got lucky there, but again, with him having such a card advantage early, I really didn't think I could win

isny

napkin dispenser
Is it wrong I built a rush deck with a ton of 1 and 2 mana minions to get my daily done and haven't lost a game yet? lol

I used to do that but now that I always carry a decent gold balance I just wait until the next day to re-mulligan the quest I don't like. But rush decks are a good way to do quests because even if you lose the game ends quickly.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
yesss more hatemail. Whine about me topdecking swipe....when he topdecked a black knight to kill my abom the turn prior. This was arena too.

So I am gun-shy about mulliganing quests.

If I "x" out a quest do I lose it, or does it work like it used to and give me another quest?

At some point they made it so the daily just went away. Did they fix that "bug" or change that "feature".

snack

So I am gun-shy about mulliganing quests.

If I "x" out a quest do I lose it, or does it work like it used to and give me another quest?

At some point they made it so the daily just went away. Did they fix that "bug" or change that "feature".

Gives you another quest.

Most interesting thing to me was iPad version is very close. Not months, probably more than a couple days. Will be out in next couple weeks. They are on the final builds.

Oh shit, thats great news. I thought it was going to be released in fall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Weird. Some guy played an Argent Squire and it was displayed as a 0 cost Golden Angry Chicken, that I couldn't attack.

Xater

yesss more hatemail. Whine about me topdecking swipe....when he topdecked a black knight to kill my abom the turn prior. This was arena too.

How the hell do you get hatemail? There is no chat and as far as I am aware people can#t send you messages unless you are a friend with them either.

snack

How the hell do you get hatemail? There is no chat and as far as I am aware people can#t send you messages unless you are a friend with them either.
I'm guessing accepted the friend add request then...

ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE

old

Just pulled a second Cairne. What's the feeling on the chances of him getting nerfed anytime soon? Could use the dust. Hate to dust him now then soon regret it.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?

Accepting their salty friend request.

Although I notice now after the patch that it doesn't tell me battletag numbers of the last person I played, so now I can't send them out. I don't know how other people see mine now or why it's doing that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Moderate.

Only if they continue down their "if too many people are using this card" route... a 6 mana 4/5 isn't exactly nerf worthy by itself, it's a card that trades well often, but not always it. For example, it only goes 1:1 against a typical 6 mana 6/7 Boulderfist Ogre, so it doesn't seem horribly OP to me.

I also think they're going to stick by what they are saying and make next to no balance changes going forward. Only exception being any card that is completely broken, which at this point, I don't feel it falls in to.

snack

Accepting their salty friend request.

Although I notice now after the patch that it doesn't tell me battletag numbers of the last person I played, so now I can't send them out. I don't know how other people see mine now or why it's doing that.

Same. I try to add the opponent after a match if it's a really good game, but I don't see the numbers either.

Maybe they just hid the user number so you can't abuse them over and over again between different accounts.

@the cairne/balance discussion

I don't think cairne will be changed. I think they saw tinkmaster as being too good for their costs plus everyone was using it. Cairne is a slow yeti basically. Sure you get good value under certain circumstances... but as mentioned it is still a 4/5 that dies to pretty much any stat healthy 6+ drop. And black knight is basically a faster cairne when he gets the battlecry off. Sylvanas is like a slightly stronger yeti that has some degree of protection from removal when your opponent has minions. Cairne is only optimal on turn 6, unlike pagle who is a powerful turn 1-2 play who had immediate impact often.

Cairne... it is a good card. Just not even remotely OP imo. Some people seemed to overvalue him after sylvanas moved to 6cc. I even seen people gamble tinkmaster it without even the need to do so (often giving me a 5/5). I have since removed him from the midrange deck and I don't even miss him. I think the best value I can get out of cairne is eating a silence/removal/polymorph.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only if they continue down their "if too many people are using this card" route... a 6 mana 4/5 isn't exactly nerf worthy by itself, it's a card that trades well often, but not always it. For example, it only goes 1:1 against a typical 6 mana 6/7 Boulderfist Ogre, so it doesn't seem horribly OP to me.
You're right in that Cairne himself isn't nerfworthy but it's the whole "every deck that can run this should run this" that I'm concerned about.

I also think they're going to stick by what they are saying and make next to no balance changes going forward. Only exception being any card that is completely broken, which at this point, I don't feel it falls in to.
I don't have the faith in them that you do, Minsc.

I played a little back during the closed beta, unlocked everyone, and a little more when the open beta started. Now I have jumped back in, along with my girlfriend being interested in it. Are there any quick pointers that would help out someone that is familiar with the game, but has not put a lot of time into it yet? I have just been playing around with the starter decks for each character, I haven't made a custom one. The games I have been playing are either me destroying my opponent or the exact opposite. I know there will be games where players just have better cards and win by a long shot. I have just been curious on if I am missing something.

scy

I had assumed they hid the number for the sake of streamers, actually.

@Cairne - He's great because most other 6cc minions aren't that great. Sunwalker is a similar two-action minion but she doesn't have removal protection like Cairne does though she brings inherent Taunt. He's run in most mid-range / control decks simply because he gets to be two cards in one. He's one of the best super late game threats simply by virtue of people having run out of answers to him by that point and he's still good enough on curve. There's usually not a bad time to play him except when you're losing.

Given future card releases, I can see him dropped simply due to having better threats than him. He's just a grinder card. He's hard to efficiently deal with.

inky

Only if they continue down their "if too many people are using this card" route... a 6 mana 4/5 isn't exactly nerf worthy by itself, it's a card that trades well often, but not always it.

Cairne is plenty annoying and with the downfall of Sylvanas he is better value in that 6 mana spot for a good number of decks, but yes, I don't think he is out of control or anything. I think we are also at the point in which aggro decks are more annoying to the average player and he is kinda slow, so I think they are going to leave him be for now.

Speaking as someone who doesn't own him, I wouldn't mind if they made his spawn a 4/4 for example (which is a very slight, almost non-nerf), but there's probably worst stuff out there right now.

Tarazet

You're right in that Cairne himself isn't nerfworthy but it's the whole "every deck that can run this should run this" that I'm concerned about.

He's really just a good vanilla minion that is hard to remove.. like Harvest Golem. There's nothing broken. There are 6-drops with the same stats that do everything from removal to mind control effects, heals, taunt + divine shield, Windfury, and no one cries about them. Hell, most of them are avoided.

I think the main issue is that over 4 mana, you have to evaluate the risk/reward much more carefully, because you can only put in so many 6-drops. In how many common situations is Cairne better than an Argent Commander? Boulderfist Ogre? Sunwalker? And that's without even getting into the tasty class-specific 6 drops like Fire Elemental, Holy Fire, Starfire, Savannah Highmane, Avenging Wrath.

Did they up the drop rate for legendaries recently. I haven't been buying decks myself, but it looks like people have been getting them a lot.

ShinNL

Hmm, thanks for filling the board against a hunter bro... with low health creatures too.
I personally think that's nothing to be proud of. Relying an entire build on an obvious overpowered card.

So I just got eaten alive by Leeroy + UTH. It's such a stupid mechanic: winning by losing board control.

Frenden

Banned
Miracle Rogue is more annoying than Hunter. Starve the board and Hunters die.

I usually beat Miracle Rogue decks, but it's boring watching them shuffle cards around.

Rogue is the one class I haven't played a lot of, so I might be biased.

ShinNL

I usually beat Miracle Rogue decks, but it's boring watching them shuffle cards around.

They put a wolfrider and you want to starve the board by doing what? Trade inefficient so you have nothing and took 3 damage to the face for free? Or trade with leftovers so you're stuck with weakened units? UTH is the sole reason why Hunter is broken right now.

Damn this game. Getting sick of Hunters, so I make a Yeti-based counter-deck only to meet a Handlock straight away (and of course I didn't slot Polymorph after facing 5 Hunters). Grrrr.

inky

I personally think that's nothing to be proud of. Relying an entire build on an obvious overpowered card.

So I just got eaten alive by Leeroy + UTH. It's such a stupid mechanic: winning by losing board control.

Meh. After losing 3 times in a row in ranked with my Druid deck (which I enjoy ten times more) and switching to my no-skill Hunter deck only to win 4 in a row and rank up I can't say I'm too bothered by it. I don't even have Leeroy, and Hunter is my lowest level class other than Warrior (plus I had a 60 gold quest with it anyway).

And that guy put 6 minions on board against a Hunter, all of them with 1 or 2 life. I'm not "proud of it", but I can't say I feel sorry for him either when he doesn't even bother to try and play around it.

scy

Beating Hunter is almost entirely a question of how well you know their game plan and their damage ranges and potentials. And, likewise, a question of how well they know those too. Legendary Hunters are annoying to deal with since it'll almost always be a case of their wins being them just squeezing out exactly lethal while barely avoiding death due to proper Freezing / Misdirect timings (and stacking, for that matter) to prevent their death.

Honestly, it's become one of my more favorite match-ups with Control Warrior.

Meanwhile, Miracle Rogue sometimes just feels like watching a storm deck do their thing.

Lyng

You should try playing it yourselve though. Its a ton of fun but aslo really requires you to plan your every move. And your choise whether to mulligan or not can loose you the game.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
he's played a lot in Shamans decks. The idea is to save a rockbiter or flametounge to get that 10/12 damage combo going, but he's decent enough to clear and stabilize the board if it's a close game, unlike Leeroy. He's the Shaman's version of Grommash with more utility and less raw stats

Thanks for the info. That's the best I could think to do with him too. Combo with rockbiter or flametounge. It's just that most of the good legendaries can usually stand alone and have some kind of decent effect without needing a combo. If you don't have the combo, eight mana for six damage is pretty weak imo. I don't normally run a windfury deck and don't usually include rockbiter so using Al'akir feels like I need to swap out at least three cards or completely rebuild my deck. My shammy deck already works decently for casual. (Haven't tried it in ranked.) Maybe if I get bored I'll try to rebuild a deck around him and see if I can't get him to be more fun.

scy

There's almost no reason to not run Rockbiter, really.

As for Al'Akir, he's a more expensive Argent Commander (and Leeroy) but he gets to attack twice which tends to be highly relevant. Beyond that, it means you can usually have him 3-for-1 which is a fairly good return for 8 mana spent.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
There's almost no reason to not run Rockbiter, really.

As for Al'Akir, he's a more expensive Argent Commander (and Leeroy) but he gets to attack twice which tends to be highly relevant. Beyond that, it means you can usually have him 3-for-1 which is a fairly good return for 8 mana spent.

I went back and checked my shammy deck and decided I could swap out my lightning bolts for rockbiter. If I need some early removal I can just use those on myself and take the face damage. I'd probably rather that than the overload penalty on the lightning bolt. I don't think the rockbiter gets the bonus from spell damage though, does it?

Also, do you guys recommend Al'akir over Rag? I really only have room for one late game legendary and those are my two contenders I'm considering.

I played a little back during the closed beta, unlocked everyone, and a little more when the open beta started. Now I have jumped back in, along with my girlfriend being interested in it. Are there any quick pointers that would help out someone that is familiar with the game, but has not put a lot of time into it yet? I have just been playing around with the starter decks for each character, I haven't made a custom one. The games I have been playing are either me destroying my opponent or the exact opposite. I know there will be games where players just have better cards and win by a long shot. I have just been curious on if I am missing something.

I'd say just look at why you think you lost those matches and start tweaking your decks with the other cards you have to try and counter those threats. I was originally doing a fairly cheap warrior deck I found online and I would get the same results. Absolutely destroy some matches and get destroyed the others. That gets boring after a while. The matches are either really no challenge or nearly impossible. I went back and started swapping out cards and iterating on the deck I had. Now I feel like I have a decent chance against any deck, but all my matches are a lot closer. I tend to have few blowouts, but I think it's more interesting that way. Close games are more dramatic and nail-biting. Usually when I lose, it's only by a turn. I typically could have done fatal on the next. To me that's more fun and challenging. I am surprised you're able to do that well with the starter decks. I only used them through the tutorial and assumed they'd be somewhat poor in online match-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom