• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

Im all for that it would kill the 0 mana whirlwinds that usually cause these crazy combos.

Iirate that would kill the card like Pagle.

I still don't think so. There's a huge different with a 2/0/4 and a 6/5/5 in terms of dealing with it immediately. I think Thaurissan's effect is just too powerful to be as consistent as it is, and if it often royally screws up a turn because it was awkward to remove, it would still be a fair and totally constructed playable card. Similarly, Sylvanas doesn't always get her mind control, but she makes things difficult. Thaurissan's effect is arguably stronger.

Ultrabum

If they made emp T trigger at the start of your turn, no one would play it. How often does that card trigger twice? Also, if it does trigger twice now you probably already won. Win more cards are not played.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but it's buzzard and pagel level nerfs. The card won't be played.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Depends on the brawl itself. The 10 mana start one was great for just grinding wins since it was super quick. This one is perfect for the 30 spells or whatever.

Tubie

Last season I basically win streaked to rank 12 as face/midrange hunter. This season I'm already stuck and just going back and forth between 14 and 15.

I also noticed that every other player I face has the legend card back.. at rank 15.. wtf?

Maybe I just have bad luck, but it could also be the new rewards bringing a lot of people back to ladder, idk.

Doesn't help that every single time I play another hunter they just draw better cards than me. RNG has forsaken me.

jgminto

I think Emperor should trigger at the beginning of the turn, and any changes don't need to be any more complicated than that.

Thaurissan would never get his effect off if he needs to survive the turn and for many decks which need that effect for a win condition it would basically amount to an auto-concede. And it's not Patron that would get hit the hardest from this either, they might not get the same peaks of damage so easily but decks like Malygos will basically die without Emperor T's effect. I maintain it would be the worst change in the game if it happened.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The "cannot reduce below 1" is a good nerf for Thaurissan if it needs to be nerfed.

Maybe a good change for Thaurissan would just be to turn it into a battlecry.

I mean, he usually doesn't stick on the board for more than a turn anyway but having it be a battlecry instead would at least allow some breathing room as far as removing it. Plus it wouldn't outright murder all the combo decks that rely on him. Although I guess that change would have implications on being able to play the cards on the same turn. So maybe it wouldn't work.

I do like the "cannot reduce below 1" idea though.

Haly

I don't think any deck really relies on him. And if they do they're kind of a flimsy deck.

Hey humans, I've just started getting into Hearthstone!

I've completed the Mage, made a pretty competitive casual constructed deck from the basic cards + some decent pulls (based on what I know about Magic, esp. card advantage), and slowly working through the other classes.

What I've noticed so far is that this game feels pretty damn grindy. Based on how the base set of cards you start with work, all of my decks have a foundation of mostly the same cards. I mean, as much as I love playing Acidic Swamp Ooze, Razorfen Hunter, Shattered Sun Cleric, Chillwind Yeti and Sen'jin Shieldmasta in every deck, there must be an easier way to branch out into some more deck-specific good cards.

Is there a short list for each class on cards I should be creating out of dust? And maybe a short list of cards that I should definitely turn into dust? What's the best way to grind for gold or packs?

Any starting advice is greatly appreciated :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maybe a good change for Thaurissan would just be to turn it into a battlecry.

I think that change is perfectly fine. Decks would run him just as often, you just wouldn't get the truly insane multi-turn discounts. Dealing with an innervated Thaurissan that pops out super early from a Druid is just the worst.Making it a battlecry he's still super strong, you just dont get the absolutely disgusting plays.

I've completed the Mage, made a pretty competitive casual constructed deck from the basic cards + some decent pulls (based on what I know about Magic, esp. card advantage), and slowly working through the other classes.

What I've noticed so far is that this game feels pretty damn grindy. Based on how the base set of cards you start with work, all of my decks have a foundation of mostly the same cards. I mean, as much as I love playing Acidic Swamp Ooze, Razorfen Hunter, Shattered Sun Cleric, Chillwind Yeti and Sen'jin Shieldmasta in every deck, there must be an easier way to branch out into some more deck-specific good cards.

Is there a short list for each class on cards I should be creating out of dust? And maybe a short list of cards that I should definitely turn into dust? What's the best way to grind for gold or packs?

Generally, it's not worth it to craft commons or rares as you'll get them fairly easily over time. Epics and Legendaries are a more efficient way to spend your dust. Of course if there are some really good rares that you're having trouble getting your hands on then it could be worth it to craft them, it just depends.

The Naxxramas adventure is usually the main goal for a newer player as it has so many staple cards. It's more efficient to spend real money on it but either way it's a must have.

For aquiring gold and packs, just make sure you do your quests and make sure you reroll (little red X in top right corner) your 40g ones to try and get 60g ones. Aside from that it's just playing a lot. Arena can be very efficient if you're really good at it but it generally will take a newer player some time to learn the ins and outs of the mode. Outside of that, I would make an attempt to get one of the classes to level 20 fairly quickly so you can do the weekly Tavern Brawl. You get a free Classic pack every week and that will help you build your collection.

Also, Classic packs are generally the more preferred pack to buy when first starting out. I think most people recommend buying 2 Classic packs for every 1 Goblins vs. Gnomes pack.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I made this video and it's in the OP. You should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVBTwsZ15BI

Tubie

The basics of Hearthstone

To get all the basic class cards you need to reach level 10 with that specific class, I would honestly recommend doing that first for the classes you enjoy playing (this can be done by playing the innskeeper btw, doesn't need to be against other players).

Disenchanting Guide

Keep in mind some cards that might be bad now could end up being good in the future. So know that there's always some risk in disenchanting cards (some cards are horrible and worthless and will always be tho).

As for gold, the best way is the daily quests, but those can be hard for a new player as most require you to win against other players. You also get 10 gold after every 3 wins in Play mode.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/

There you can see popular decks and even search for decks made up of only basic cards. It's also nice if you wanna find a deck to spend dust on.

Play the game for a while and if you find you enjoy it enough then maybe consider buying the Naxxramas adventure at the very least, a lot of great cards in that one. And if you really really like it buy a 40 pack for both card expansions (classic is better for new players if you don't wanna spend that much), that alone will help immensely in catching up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The key to ranking seems to be either stopping people from perfectly curving or perfectly curving yourself

What a game

Triz

Finally got Mage in Arena...

Zero Flamestrike
Zero Fireballs
Zero Polymoprhs
One Frost Bolt

I mean really people?

I'm rocking a Mage deck like that sans the frostbolt in Arena right now. 2-0 so far the two ehanceomatics are working wonders and the one pyroblast lol.

shira

Ahhh the joys of back to back ice block with 1hp
vHDaUy1.png

Just made some dude rage quit

Generally, it's not worth it to craft commons or rares as you'll get them fairly easily over time. Epics and Legendaries are a more efficient way to spend your dust. Of course if there are some really good rares that you're having trouble getting your hands on then it could be worth it to craft them, it just depends.

The Naxxramas adventure is usually the main goal for a newer player as it has so many staple cards. It's more efficient to spend real money on it but either way it's a must have.

For aquiring gold and packs, just make sure you do your quests and make sure you reroll (little red X in top right corner) your 40g ones to try and get 60g ones. Aside from that it's just playing a lot. Arena can be very efficient if you're really good at it but it generally will take a newer player some time to learn the ins and outs of the mode. Outside of that, I would make an attempt to get one of the classes to level 20 fairly quickly so you can do the weekly Tavern Brawl. You get a free Classic pack every week and that will help you build your collection.

Also, Classic packs are generally the more preferred pack to buy when first starting out. I think most people recommend buying 2 Classic packs for every 1 Goblins vs. Gnomes pack.

You're a beautiful person and I appreciate your insight :)

Fireblend

Banned
Had a friend explain to me today how I shouldn't open packs in groups of less than five, because that way the RNG is confused or something into giving me better packs.

even though I'm a programmer who understands how random number generation works, I'm going to try it out of desperation

Haly

Can't play Patron, Midrange Hunter, or Oil because of all these anti-weapon classes.

Welp, time to spam Druid.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I've been getting nailed by Harrison a lot lately. Midrange Pally struggles, leave me alone pls.

Dahbomb

Dropping threats that they'll need to respond to with spells instead of dropping their own.
I mean there's no way to stop a perfect start from Tempo Mage, Mech Shaman, Face Hunter, Zoolock, Aggro Paladin etc. When they get their perfect curve starters they are damn near impossible to stop.

You can't stop from them curving out properly.

inky

What Druid deck is that outside of the obvious malygos.

Just a spell Druid I made.

Uses regular ramp and staple Druid cards (innervate, wild growth, Keepers, etc.) 1 Starfall, 2 Drakes, Thalnos, Boom, Rag, Loatheb and Emperor. BGH, Kezan and Sunwalkers come in and out depending on how I'm feeling my opponents.

Another one bites the dust :p This one was playing Iron Juggernaut. I like that card so it was a neat surprise. He got it too late tho.

Pooya

Playing a ok ish priest deck in Arena, I got one lightbomb and two velen's and was so happy going 5-0.

Then hit a mage, I had full board control.... fireball, fireball, fireball OK, I'm still winning. Flamestrike... Ok I'm still ok... Sneed's.

Next game paladin, he just play straight up aggro paladin complete with muster/juggler combo and blessings and truesilver. I guess that means I should not play any more right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom