• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

bjaelke

Only 4 Warlock cards left and one of them is bound to be some kind of discard mechanic. I almost feel sorry for that class.

Apathy

I did about 6 games as a Rogue and I won 5 of them. Each time I picked minions early to establish a board, which I usually did before my opponents, and then as long as I had a couple minions I started to pick spells. Spells are usually reactive so it is generally pointless to pick them early on. You don't know what you need to react to so you just end up picking whatever seems value. Which might not be what you need.

Knowing the cards is like 10% of all these brawls, 90% is being lucky out of your ass. To say that these brawls require any large amount of skill is so dumb when you're at the mercy of the discover

georly

I did about 6 games as a Rogue and I won 5 of them. Each time I picked minions early to establish a board, which I usually did before my opponents, and then as long as I had a couple minions I started to pick spells. Spells are usually reactive so it is generally pointless to pick them early on. You don't know what you need to react to so you just end up picking whatever seems value. Which might not be what you need.

This is exactly how I played and I won 3 of 3 last night. I'll play again tomorrow when my dailies refresh.

Knowing the cards is like 10% of all these brawls, 90% is being lucky out of your ass. To say that these brawls require any large amount of skill is so dumb when you're at the mercy of the discover

I don't think it requires A LOT of skill, just some best practices and card awareness. Stuff that a good portion of brawl players might not have.

Dahbomb

Nah experienced players have a huge edge in this Brawl. Just like experienced players have huge advantage in Arena. Though in Raven Idol Brawl that is more of the case because you are deciding yourself whether you want a minion or a spell and that decision takes a lot into consideration.

And unlike Arena you can't go on Heartharena to have a site draft for you, you have to draft on the spot with this Brawl. Only issue is that everyone should just pick Mage and just try to force Discover Flamewaker/Apprentice then ball out of control. The Idols shouldn't be counted as spells in this Brawl or hell even as cards being played because it gives certain classes/cards an unfair advantage.

This brawl isn't as luck based as the Esportal one, knowing when to look for spells or minions(or when to stop looking and just play something) is pretty important.

fertygo

You dont need to panic when opponent pull legendary ass minion. Its gonna backfire if try to outdraw something better.
If ýou still don't find answer tho. gg

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect the stream will show a decent part of the set but not everything. Then they release the infodump of all the cards afterwards. You would think that Blizzard would choose the coolest and most interesting cards to reveal piecemeal and then just have a bunch of OK stuff later. However, knowing them they messed that up and there will be a couple pretty powerful and/or cool cards in the infodump (hoping!)

Apathy

Nah experienced players have a huge edge in this Brawl. Just like experienced players have huge advantage in Arena. Though in Raven Idol Brawl that is more of the case because you are deciding yourself whether you want a minion or a spell and that decision takes a lot into consideration.

And unlike Arena you can't go on Heartharena to have a site draft for you, you have to draft on the spot with this Brawl. Only issue is that everyone should just pick Mage and just try to force Discover Flamewaker/Apprentice then ball out of control. The Idols shouldn't be counted as spells in this Brawl or hell even as cards being played because it gives certain classes/cards an unfair advantage.

Of course an experience d player would know "hey don't start with spells, you need board pressence" or "don't go with a deathwing on first idol". Beyond first time players that is basic stuff (they are the ones building all taunt decks at level 25). You are still at the mercy at discover if you spend 4 turns and can't get anything under a 6 to play. The same way when you pick a spell to try and get rid of something later on you're at the mercy of whether you actually get a spell that would be useful instead of say a flare.

bjaelke

I suspect the stream will show a decent part of the set but not everything. Then they release the infodump of all the cards afterwards. You would think that Blizzard would choose the coolest and most interesting cards to reveal piecemeal and then just have a bunch of OK stuff later. However, knowing them they messed that up and there will be a couple pretty powerful and/or cool cards in the infodump (hoping!)

Mysterious Challenger was revealed on Facebook as part of the post-stream TGT dump.

georly

He seems happy with the BGH nerf as the card's biggest opponent.

I don't think I've seen any streamers talk about the nerf not being enough.

Makes it not auto-include, which is what the nerfing was mainly about. As he says, it now may mean OTHER cards might be auto-include in certain deck types (name dropping abusive as the leper gnome potential replacement), but at least these will still see SOME play in specific decks.

The rest of the nerfs were basically 'to not limit card design' which is fine. Kills old decks dead, but you have to hope blizz will fill the gap with other stuff.

Apathy

I was able to get a gigantic bolvar and my opponent couldn't find a hex

Summoning stone + bolvar in this combo is just nuts, you just gotta get lucky that they can't find removal

He seems happy with the BGH nerf as the card's biggest opponent.

I don't think I've seen any streamers talk about the nerf not being enough.

It's only "not enough" if you want the card to be nuked.

Also, now there's two 5 mana 4/2 dwarves with guns, that's even more confusing than 18 deck slots.

Only 4 Warlock cards left and one of them is bound to be some kind of discard mechanic. I almost feel sorry for that class.

Feel bad for the class that consistently has a powerful deck throughout nearly any and every meta the last 2 years?
laugh.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Feel bad for the class that consistently has a powerful deck throughout nearly any and every meta the last 2 years?
laugh.gif

lol yeah
I think that with Standard and the Nerfs Blizz is lookin' to people to try new stuff.
Maybe we'll see some cool new stuff today :0

Pooya

Warlock is a complete class, they will always find a way and the spells they need are all in basic/classic. Good board clears and while shadowbolt is worse than darkbomb it's still direct damage removal they can play. Any good neutral minion they can play. Twilight drake and mountain giant are pretty much warlock cards. Molten was too and that will hurt but they can live. What hurts the most is the lack of healbot. If you're going to play new cards like cho'gall they would need more heals. I don't think Reno is as viable now with a lot less good cards to play.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So is mass card reveal gonna be in the form of a card dump or a stream? I'm at work so I would much much much rather just a gif dump.

edit. Haha. We broke for lunch. Stream here I go!

inky

laugh.gif

Indeed. Everyone else has had ups and down, but Warlock has been consistently solid throughout the whole history of HS. Moltens might be dead, but Handlock and other variations will keep on.

I think historically, Rogue is the class that has been picked on the most.

Schnauzer

I'm going to be stubborn and try to get dragon priest to work in standard. I do like these new priest cards though. I just love the concept behind dragon priest.

In all honestly, I doubt I'm going to be able to get it to become viable and will have end up changing to a Paladin Dragon Reno deck.

Luckily the nerfs don't hurt the decks I play besides demon lock, which loses what makes it great anyway.

Owzers

Blade of C'thun....was that rogue exclusive? Wow, 9 cost minion that destroys a minion and adds their atk to C'thun.

I feel like there are going to be so many things i dislike about the new meta :p Still goes back to aggro shaman though.

Pooya

C'thun rogue and priest. C'thun looks like to be the standard, the support cards are too stupid not to play.

Priest without lightbomb looks so bad. lol

georly

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1374-whispers-of-the-old-gods-live-event-live-updates

embedding here for people just tuning in.

• No more Sorry emote
  • You will get a quest to complete two games in Standard which rewards you with 5 free old god packs
  • You will get another quest to complete seven games in Standard which rewards you with yet another 5 free old gods packs.

Priest

Rogue

Warrior

Druid

Hunter

Warlock

Shaman

Mage

Paladin

Neutral

Top Bottom