• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It has another drawback, albeit a very small one, in that if you are the only one with a 7 attack minion on the board you can't really play it for tempo. And I understand a lot of the people would think: well if that is the case you probably already won, but there's always those cases where you haven't. But, it is still the drawback of being removal tied to a minion. It's a more complex card.

If we use the term "removal" very loosely, Sap is now the best tempo play in that category, and Mulch might see some play yet. Naturalize is still very iffy, because card advantage is so powerful.

I don't disagree that it is still playable and has a spot in; I said as much, I just don't think balanced is quite the term for it. It's expensive, yet still quite annoying and somewhat limiting. I'm not comfortable with it existing in any capacity.

Yeah, I feel Mulch may actually see play. You give the opponent a new card, but most of the time it will likely be full price junk.

Only the slowest decks now run BGH, so being 5 mana is "whatever".

The big nerf is you can't fish it out of a scarab. Other than that it is business as usual where everybody can complain about it but nobody actually runs the card.

Only the slowest decks now run BGH, so being 5 mana is "whatever".

The big nerf is you can't fish it out of a scarab. Other than that it is business as usual where everybody can complain about it but nobody actually runs the card.
Agreed with the first part, but tell that second line to all my dead Sea Giants and Savannah Highmanes that decided to chill with Leokk for a turn! >:-(

i got most of my dust from weaseling my way into rank 5 these last couple months, at 1900 right now with things to be dusted.
Yeah, I am at that point too, getting that 400 dust per month now. I guess some people have been doing it for years and have thousands saved up....

Dahbomb

And this is what is puzzling. Why are they so afraid of encouraging a new style of play? It's not like Hunter has a lot of consistent, targeted removal. Is Hunter's Mark (a card that can't really do anything on it's own) really that bad?

Hunter's Mark / Dreadscale WAS awesome. Guess they didn't want C'thun getting bodied by a 1/1 hound)
Because aggro decks can use this card too.

KuroNeeko

Because aggro decks can use this card too.

Well, you know a lot more about the game than I do, and I rarely play hunter (outside the FotM Reno / Control Hunter out there.)

To be honest, I've seen so little Hunter out there these days and it's rare that I lose to Hunter's Mark. I'll probably play around with Mid / Control (lol) when WotoG hits. Still sticking with Priest / Rogue / Shaman* though.

Just took me by surprise.

* Just not Face Shaman.

Dart

QCaouBm.png

Love you Paletress you beautiful bitch

Wonder how she will play in standard, Shifter Zerus aside.

bjaelke

Wonder how she will play in standard, Shifter Zerus aside.

I'm tempted to try her out again with the removal of Death's Bite and Flamecannon. Such a fragile minion. You really want to see another minion spawn from her that requires an immediate response so she can stick for a turn or two.

clav

Play Priest, control the shit of them

I have. I run out of answers against Mages + Warriors who seem to have Justicar + other stuff. I don't really get any good stuff from Minions, so I tried all spells. I get like one drops or more silences.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't enjoy this brawl.

RNG is all wrong.

Somehow everyone gets legendaries.

This brawl is just far too slow, it's more skillful than the other RNG based brawls, but not nearly as fun.

I'd much rather play Captain Blackheart's Treasure again then this Brawl.

Dragner

Rip druid, luckily I already have a golden druid. Ancient of lore is now a joke...azure drake is a neutral minion for 5 mana...

And the other nerfs...dont make much sense, you keep savage roar and nerf FoN...

I dont like also the blade flurry nerf...is an overkill.

The molten giant nerf is reasonable but they killed the need of skill to play around it...just Brokeback face and dont worry now.

Other nerfs are ok but not nerfing a single card from Paladin or alexstrasza is stupid.

My best turn out for the brawl was getting that 6 drop that adds a mech to your hand for every 1 mana spell. I didn't go crazy on that because I coined out emperor the turn before, but I still got 4-5 mechs and was in a crazy lead already so they conceded.

My strategy became about starting to play minions 1 mana off curve so I could keep using idols while getting a board. So on turn 3 I would aim to play a 2 drop and an idol. Turn 4 a 3 drop with idol, etc.. Seemed to work out. I only lost 1 game where I got no minions out before turn 5 or something.

Other nerfs are ok but not nerfing a single card from Paladin or alexstrasza is stupid.

People keep saying paladin has some nerf worthy cards in the classic/basic set. But why? I get hating on paladin, because of secret paladin. But there is no card in the classic set worthy of a nerf, not even divine favor.

clav

Get Summoning Stone. Win.

I had it one game, and the board was twisting nethered.

The card to get in brawl is Flamewaker.

Gives opposing players that feeling of hate when seeing the spell equivalent of KJ except with two damage rather than one.

Fun + interactive.

Other card to get is the Rogue legendary that spawns boosted stats according to the number of cards played.

peakish

Oh man, this game. Was beating a weird mage pretty heavily, then they got a damn summoning stone through an Effigy and I had no immediate answers.

The value! :p

bjaelke

It's just that the worst class became the most hated after a year and now people want to nerf paladin even though he won't be that good without naxx and gvg.

I agree the swing in terms of power was significant. A few cards that made the classes greater than the sum their cards.

Dragner

People keep saying paladin has some nerf worthy cards in the classic/basic set. But why? I get hating on paladin, because of secret paladin. But there is no card in the classic set worthy of a nerf, not even divine favor.

Divine favor is a terrible design, if you know a bit of card games all cards with this effect has been terrible for their games,a card that denies the only weakness that aggro decks have against control, aggro exchanges resources for tempo and control sacrifices tempo for resources, thid card mess with that, and thats disgusting.

Even then, if you nerf cards because they limit space design a nerf to Truesilver Champion is reasonable, Truesilver is going to be a 2 off always, forever, and they cant design a weapon that contest Truesilver because Truesilver is possibly the best weapon in the game alongside Bow and doomhammer.

And Tyrion is a reasonable nerf too because the same reason. Tyrion is too strong and you cant have the best legend in the game be an autoinclude forever.

Zoggy

Divine favor is a terrible design, if you know a bit of card games all cards with this effect has been terrible for their games,a card that denies the only weakness that aggro decks have against control, aggro exchanges resources for tempo and control sacrifices tempo for resources, thid card mess with that, and thats disgusting.

Even then, if you nerf cards because they limit space design a nerf to Truesilver Champion is reasonable, Truesilver is going to be a 2 off always, forever, and they cant design a weapon that contest Truesilver because Truesilver is possibly the best weapon in the game alongside Bow and doomhammer.

And Tyrion is a reasonable nerf too because the same reason. Tyrion is too strong and you cant have the best legend in the game be an autoinclude forever.

no one was complaining about divine favor or tirion or truesilver before secret paladin, and that was when there was already an aggro paladin deck.

Dragner

no one was complaining about divine favor or tirion or truesilver before secret paladin, and that was when there was already an aggro paladin deck.

Nobody is complaining about master of disguise. Thats not the point. Its about Blizzard guidelines about why a card is nerfed and the reason to nerf cards from the classic set if they are going to be here forever (a mistake imo but thats another topic).

Its about the big picture, look at the game in 4-5 years, you will still be playing 2 off truesilver your tyrion and your divine favor in aggro decks. And Blizz cant design anything that surpases that unless they begin with an absurd power creep route that would make more bad than good.

Everybody complained about divine favor? People only really stopped complaining because of secret paladin and MC getting the heat.

Correct on truesilver though, it is what it is.

Tacitus_

Everybody complained about divine favor? People only really stopped complaining because of secret paladin and MC getting the heat.

Correct on truesilver though, it is what it is.

It was complained about when people ran into it... which wasn't that often. Face paladins weren't exactly top tier.

peakish

Well, that was interesting. My winrate against paladins is abysmal, but I just won one game against a Secret Paladin who wasn't able to draw their Mysterious Challengers. I was still playing around the full christmas tree, but without an extra 6/6 body the efficiency just crumbled. (Edit: Nevermind that playing the secrets manually costs mana which meant less other crap to deal with)

Even after two 4+ divine favour rounds the MC's were missing, only dragging out two secrets once the first of them hit.

Ladekabel

I don't think I have a worse winrate with another class than I have with Druid. It's either a loss against Tempo Mage or I have dead hands until turn 5. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong.

Nobody is complaining about master of disguise. Thats not the point. Its about Blizzard guidelines about why a card is nerfed and the reason to nerf cards from the classic set if they are going to be here forever (a mistake imo but thats another topic).

Its about the big picture, look at the game in 4-5 years, you will still be playing 2 off truesilver your tyrion and your divine favor in aggro decks. And Blizz cant design anything that surpases that unless they begin with an absurd power creep route that would make more bad than good.
I don't think Blizzard is concerned about class card auto-includes, otherwise they would have nerfed frostbolt, fiery war axe, northshire, si7 etc. It's only a problem when one class has too many of them, like druid or rogue.

FeD.nL

I don't think Blizzard is concerned about class card auto-includes, otherwise they would have nerfed frostbolt, fiery war axe, northshire, si7 etc. It's only a problem when one class has too many of them, like druid or rogue.

Well there was this article in Polygon a while back and Trump said that ideally he would like a deck to consist of <10 cards from the evergreen set. Brode agreed.

When you look at something like freeze mage where 25 of their 30 cards are from the evergreen set I think that is a problem. Perhaps Blizzard wants Freeze Mage to be a deck forever, since they also give Zoo some new support in Old Gods, as kinda the lock to keep Zoo in check.

But overall I agree with Trump, Savjz and Kibler that the classic set should also have been rotated out.

fertygo

Just realize the new rogue minion can wreck shit
Her interaction with battlecry minion like Azure Drake can be ridiculous

Watch people forget about flurry nerf after seeing this card in action

Dragner

No thats a problem, if you have a card that is good but can develop a card that is better without overpowering the class by much you get good space design to work...f.e. fiery war axe-> deathsbite. You leave room design to strength class defining perks.

Every class should have their basic stuff but you need to leave room for improvement. Because that what keep the class exciting, you can have playables but you can also have upgrades.

Northsire cleric, frostbolt or SI7 are just niche perks not defining cards of the archetype. Frostbolt dont make blizzard stop designing direct damage spell (torch for example), it cuts the possibility of a new frost direct damage spell but thats more niche that a weapon for a weapon class. The same can be said about SI or northsire. Nobody will ask for more of this because they are not class defining cards.

Ofc all this is the problem of having classic being in standard forever. This will hurt the game in the long run.

ViviOggi

Eboladin has been absolutely rampant at two stages, including the couple of months leading up to MC being released.
Yup some serious revisionist history going on here, Eboladin was everywhere for about two months before TGT released and of course there were plenty of complaints about Divine Favor.

ViviOggi

Just realize the new rogue minion can wreck shit
Her interaction with battlecry minion like Azure Drake can be ridiculous

Watch people forget about flurry nerf after seeing this card in action
Nope lol

Card was already sketchy taking old Rogue for granted since you need a good target to stick, good luck with that and not losing the game without a board clear.

Turn 6 double Drake into Prep Fan for 3 damage clear PogChamp, now think about all the times you didn't draw Auchenai+Circle when you needed them.

jgminto

Nothing Rogue has gotten so far this expansion is enough to make up for losing Blade Flurry, they're all just options. Rogue needs a new win condition.

fertygo

Nope lol

Card was already sketchy taking old Rogue for granted since you need a good target to stick, good luck with that and not losing the game without a board clear.

Turn 6 double Drake into Prep Fan for 3 damage clear PogChamp, now think about all the times you didn't draw Auchenai+Circle when you needed them.
Too ambitious combo right there.. 2 consecutive draw still insane and the threat of spell damage

At very least this kind of action would be common at arena

FeD.nL

I´m really wondering what the plan is with Rogue. All the cards revealed so far for the class are value cards, they all sacrifice tempo for value. Ah well let´s see what the final cards are going to be.

Top Bottom