• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Loomba

Just seen the card nerfs, wow Druid got destroyed.

When is the patch releasing and do we get full dust value for the nerfed cards (even gold versions?).

Love you Paletress you beautiful bitch

Wonder how she will play in standard, Shifter Zerus aside.
Nice one, last time I played Paletress she pulled me a Majordomo. At 24 health, against Zoolock with power overwhelming and then Leeroy into abusive sergeant.
I think she'll be playable in standard, it's a little harder to do 4 damage exactly from hand now.

georly

Just seen the card nerfs, wow Druid got destroyed.

When is the patch releasing and do we get full dust value for the nerfed cards (even gold versions?).

Assume all on the 26th. Gonna be a good day. I'm totally crafting the transforming legendary w/ the dust because I love him so much.

Then, based on what packs I open, i'll figure out which deck to run.

peakish

Phew, had a great run with my Dragon Priest today, climbing from rank 15 to 12. I think one of the best things I did with the deck was switching one Entomb for a Drakonid Crusher to help with my endgame. Felt pretty great dropping a 9/9 against Jaraxxus last game, hah.

Wish rogues were more common since they're fun to play against. Just one game out of all 40 I've run this week ...

georly

Phew, had a great run with my Dragon Priest today, climbing from rank 15 to 12. I think one of the best things I did with the deck was switching one Entomb for a Drakonid Crusher to help with my endgame. Felt pretty great dropping a 9/9 against Jaraxxus last game, hah.

Wish rogues were more common since they're fun to play against. Just one game out of all 25 I've run this week ...

I'm gonna miss dragon priest. Hopefully he survives, but mutated. I'm down for whichever class has the best dragon deck.

Apathy

Nothing Rogue has gotten so far this expansion is enough to make up for losing Blade Flurry, they're all just options. Rogue needs a new win condition.

Well after today we can say if the bf nerf was to compensate for the rest of the cards if it's truly a wtf were they thinking move.

Hopefully it's because of another good weapon or weapon buff akin to Sharpsword Oil. Hard to say though.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see more 'thievery' cards akin to Burgle and Huckster.

georly

Aren't most of the Dragon cards BRM and TGT? You'll still have some time left to play!

A few key dragon priest components are gone, but they can sorta work w/ substitutes. Lightbomb, velen, shrinkmeister (which was used w/ cabal). I never had voljin or boom, so I subbed other stuff, usually.

Not sure if cabal still works as well w/out shrinkmeister. We'll see how it is, or if it's outclassed by paladin dragon or something.

Damn these Tavern brawls go on forever.

2 of my 3 games last night has me down to 1 health, but I pulled enough miracle spells to keep me in the game until the win. They sure do go on. Is it 30 raven idols or infinite?

Pooya

the only way the nerf would make sense is if they are printing something like yeti for rogue that gives your weapon +3 attack. absurd cards like that without downside, like some they've printed this set already. Spell that buffs your weapon isn't good enoug, deadly poison is a lot worse now, you lose a lot with flurry for it to be worthwhile. New weapon isn't any good either whatever they can realistically print. You would need a card that has board impace and weapon buff in one, then maybe I could see why a nerf like that was necessary.

From what I looked up on twitter, blizzard dudes think something like Huckster and Xaril are "A+++" and those somehow make up for nerf, so I'm not holding my breath. I mean they are ok but yeah...

----

Reynad was saying Blizzard will regret missing doomhammer. It's really likely, maybe people won't even play aggro shaman like it is now but in a midrange shaman instead. There are a lot of strong shaman cards. It can be the next midrange druid. You have all these undercosted bulky new minions, stupid cheap finisher and even card draw that was lacking before.

jgminto

Well after today we can say if the bf nerf was to compensate for the rest of the cards if it's truly a wtf were they thinking move.
There would need to be something with as much impact as Doomhammer to make other weapon related cards worthwhile without Blade Flurry.

Pooya

oh, and another thing. It's really hard to take wild seriously with these nerfs. They say we have this mode that you can play your cards forever, well hello. You can't play oil anymore, or a lot of other things. It's just so bad. Rogue is completely unplayable in the board flood meta of wild that will be like that forever. There is no thought whatsoever behind wild balance so of course people won't play it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just saw the nerfs. Some cards are straight garbage now. The Knife Juggler nerf feels like the best one to me, still useable but not swinging in as the best 3/2 in the game. Owl, Big Game and Blade Fury were all pretty harsh. Arcane Golem is useless now but I'm a Horserider man already.

No tears for Druid, but those nerfs were mean.

Paches

New Knife Juggler is very weak against Priest. Shadow Word Terror wipes it, Cabal steals it and Cleric draws from it.

It not being able to trade in to 3 health minion 1 drops is a pretty reasonable move that doesn't destroy the card. Can't kill Voidwalker or Trogg on its own now, and as you mentioned a coined KJ can't handle a turn 1 cleric.

To Reynad's point though, the turn 2 50/50 juggle on cleric or face is a pretty huge game swinging coin flip.

A part of me is happy about the Arcane Golem nerf, because I crafted two for Face Hunter and then decided I don't really like the card's drawback, and I hardly use it. Now I get my dust back, yay!

sibarraz

Banned
The knife juggler nerf is fine, at times I hated the stats more than the ability, and since in started you will not be able to flood the board as easily as the current meta, the card is already nerfed.

Now wild.......

peakish

Win streak broken at rank 11. Just one more for an upgraded chest, yay!

Re: the nerfs, I was somewhat disappointed yesterday at some of them, but today I remembered how annoying it is to sac a 2/3 into a Juggler and lose it which won't be a thing with this. I sort of like it, and love the Leper gnome/Force/Golem nerfs (even if the latter seems really harsh).

Only disappointment that remains is either Doomhammer or Rockbiter, and Freeze mage stuff. But eh.

I don't see the problem with blade fury nerf. It's rogue shadowflame with the option to hit face at less cost. It's poor design for a card to encourage hitting face with the weapon get buffed by both azure and thalnos and clear the board and hit face a second time. Come on people. It's the nerf we didn't know we needed.

daemissary

I don't see the problem with blade fury nerf. It's rogue shadowflame with the option to hit face at less cost. It's poor design for a card to encourage hitting face with the weapon get buffed by both azure and thalnos and clear the board and hit face a second time. Come on people. It's the nerf we didn't know we needed.

Not hitting face is fine, not hitting face plus the increase in mana cost is too much. Should have either been one or the other.

I think the problem isn't that card's nerf was bad, but that it kills the only competitive Rogue deck. Rogue literally has nothing left that functions in the meta, so people are worried that they will be useless come Standard.

You also have to keep in mind that, to be usable, you basically already pay +3 mana for Blade Fury, because you need, at the bare minimum, to use your Hero Power once and then apply poison. So we're talking 2 cards and 7 mana now to do 4 damage to all enemy minions. Is that a good deal? What if you poison and then Oil? That's 3 cards and 10 mana for 7 damage to all minions. It's much more reasonable at its old cost, at least. 2 cards + 5 mana for 4 damage is reasonable. 3 cards + 8 mana for 7 damage is reasonable.

Spare me your hunter tears!

:p

(On second thought that doesn't really work, does it)
No tears here - I hit rank 5! :)

It's more that I know what it's like to be 1 game away...and then you don't win. Then you lose 5 in a row. So I'm giving you my condolences ahead of time.

Magnus

Wish rogues were more common since they're fun to play against. Just one game out of all 40 I've run this week ...

I've had an abysmal time this month with Dragon Priest. Somehow, I haven't been able to get out of 20-15, after routinely getting to 10-5 by this point in the month in the past.

Can I peek at your deck list?

I think the problem isn't that card's nerf was bad, but that it kills the only competitive Rogue deck. Rogue literally has nothing left that functions in the meta, so people are worried that they will be useless come Standard.

You also have to keep in mind that, to be usable, you basically already pay +3 mana for Blade Fury, because you need, at the bare minimum, to use your Hero Power once and then apply poison. So we're talking 2 cards and 7 mana now to do 4 damage to all enemy minions. Is that a good deal? What if you poison and then Oil? That's 3 cards and 10 mana for 7 damage to all minions. It's much more reasonable at its old cost, at least. 2 cards + 5 mana for 4 damage is reasonable. 3 cards + 8 mana for 7 damage is reasonable.

I think you're discounting preparation which has always been the problem with those combos. It's not hard to pull off for massive damage when you have that card in hand.

Dahbomb

They shouldn't have increased its cost with that text. This is in no way comparable to Shadowflame.

It's a triple wammy nerf when they should've just changed the text. We don't need to have even worse board clears in the game.

peakish

No tears here - I hit rank 5! :)

It's more that I know what it's like to be 1 game away...and then you don't win. Then you lose 5 in a row. So I'm giving you my condolences ahead of time.
Haha, yeah, I'm kind of expecting to lose some games soon, just hoping my luck lasts a few games more :p

Thanks!

I've had an abysmal time this month with Dragon Priest. Somehow, I haven't been able to get out of 20-15, after routinely getting to 10-5 by this point in the month in the past.

Can I peek at your deck list?
Sure, but I really don't think it's any special.

Code:
Power Word: Shield x 2
Northshire Cleric x 2
Twilight Whelp x 2
Shadow Word: Pain x 2
Garrison Commander
Wyrmrest Agent
Shadow Word: Death
Big Game Hunter
Blackwing Technician x 2
Harvest Golem x 2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta
Twilight Drake x 2
Twilight Guardian
Excavated Evil
Holy Nova
Azure Drake x 2
Blackwing Corruptor x 2
Entomb
Drakonid Crusher
Rend Blackhand
Ysera
The Sen'jin should be a Guardian (don't have the dust). The Garrison Commander is in because I don't have a better 2 drop (not sure what to replace it with). I could probably switch one of the Harvest Golems, but again not sure to what.

Rend probably isn't a good pick, he's too situational. But I'm full Kibler with him, Rending another legendary just feels great.

I've been playing with the thought of 1x Harvest Golem -> Injured Blademaster and 1x Pain -> Circle of Healing, but that feels way too situational. I like 2x pain since I consistently get use of them. I've also thought about getting my Rag in, but not sure what to replace for him since he lacks dragon synergy.

I think you're discounting preparation which has always been the problem with those combos. It's not hard to pull off for massive damage when you have that card in hand.
Preparation is a BONUS. You can't balance cards around everything always using it. That's part of why Rogue sucks right now.

Apathy

Hate these kinds of brawls, if you are unlucky and can't get anything to play at the start you might as well just end it.

Seriously, first time I can get a low minion to play my opponent has a argent horserider and kills it, fuck offf with this. Can I just get a brawl where I can build my own deck and then add some cards into it instead of this bullshit

georly

Hate these kinds of brawls, if you are unlucky and can't get anything to play at the start you might as well just end it.

Seriously, first time I can get a low minion to play my opponent has a argent horserider and kills it, fuck offf with this. Can I just get a brawl where I can build my own deck and then add some cards into it instead of this bullshit

I had two where I almost lost because of that but some miracle spell draws brought me back. I like this one because you basically get one of 6 choices each turn, which makes it a litttttle more skillfull than something like a portal brawl.

the problem is they're pushing rogue into a midrange or control deck when its core cards and hero power don't support those styles of play. backstab, eviscerate, SI:7, blade flurry, prep. these all lead you towards tempo decks that keep the board clear to set up anwin condition. things like burgle and thistle tea give you card advantage at a tempo loss.

we really need to see the rest of the new rogue cards because there just isn't a viable deck right now.

fertygo

you get it every 2 week

I prefer Random brawl, I always stomped by peep with large library at constructed brawl

beside you have large control at this brawl for supposed very random.

Apathy

you get it every 2 week

I prefer Random brawl, I always stomped by peep with large library at constructed brawl

beside you have large control at this brawl for supposed very random.

I have never had a problem with a constructed brawl and I don't even have a bunch of them. If the brawl was say build a 15 card deck and then get 15 raven idols that would work out way better than this.

fertygo

Btw I think seasoned player win 7/10 time at this Brawl.. you get massive advantage knowing the card that available.

Spell is far better pick because option is narrower and removal almost always cost effective than minion, you can punish greedy player that way.

bjaelke

I have never had a problem with a constructed brawl and I don't even have a bunch of them. If the brawl was say build a 15 card deck and then get 15 raven idols that would work out way better than this.

But after facing your 10th consecutive mage you'd probably think differently.

Dahbomb

2 hours until match showcases and card dumps.

Remember folks, prepare your salt shakers because...

tumblr_n2e0vaNVVY1t20v1lo1_500.png

Apathy

But after facing your 10th consecutive mage you'd probably think differently.

Never will, not when I am currently facing a warlock that out of his ass pulled a malganis and i have no way to deal with it, but if i could build my deck i would

oh great, tournament medic too. yeah, fuck this

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Btw I think seasoned player win 7/10 time at this Brawl.. you get massive advantage knowing the card that available.

Spell is far better pick because option is narrower and removal almost always cost effective than minion, you can punish greedy player that way.

I did about 6 games as a Rogue and I won 5 of them. Each time I picked minions early to establish a board, which I usually did before my opponents, and then as long as I had a couple minions I started to pick spells. Spells are usually reactive so it is generally pointless to pick them early on. You don't know what you need to react to so you just end up picking whatever seems value. Which might not be what you need.

Top Bottom