• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

georly

Hey, that might be what it takes to make nuke priest viable? Garbage in every other deck type, I think.

Corrupted healbot, flash heal, etc etc. Gives you 2 more mana basically. I assume you'd also run this in combination with soul priest in your deck, and just nuke when you can, using this if you don't have a soul priest in hand or have already used them.

Good for OTK priest, maybe a shadows deck as well, bad everwhere else.

Yup.

Also, really good it's epic, so you won't get in arena. Gaaaaarbage in arena. One of the absolute worst arena cards.

Apathy

seems weird for the card. At least soulpriest gave you a body your opponents had to deal with.

I'm assuming they want it to be run in decks that don't normally run soulpriest as a burst damage potential (either with flash heals or with velen)

Hey, that might be what it takes to make nuke priest viable? Garbage in every other deck type, I think.

Corrupted healbot, flash heal, etc etc. Gives you 2 more mana basically.

This + corrupted healbot dying + 2 flash heals = 18. , possibly viable if your opponent does not kill the healbot on his turn and you can run it into something that can kill it

gutshot

Best thing about this card is it is a spell, which are a lot easier to acquire as another class (Nefarian, Burgle, Huckster, Spellslinger). I expect some hilarious videos of people unexpectedly playing this card and coming up with creative lethals and/or getting rekted by Healing Totems, Lightlord, etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Best thing about this card is it is a spell, which are a lot easier to acquire as another class (Nefarian, Burgle, Huckster, Spellslinger). I expect some hilarious videos of people unexpectedly playing this card and coming up with creative lethals and/or getting rekted by Healing Totems, Lightlord, etc.

Shaman with Healing Wave for 14 damage.

16 damage Forbidden Healing with Paladin.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I can only hope this will lead to more Warlocks accidentally killing themselves while having Mistress of Pain on the board in Wild.

Otherwise, the only potential I see from this card is some kind of Priest combo deck that needs the 2 extra mana over Auchenai to find lethal somewhere. Flash, Flash, Hero Power is already 12 for 6 mana. I'm sure there are ways to find the rest somewhere with Thaurissan. It's just hard to imagine not preferring to have the 3/5 body also for only 2 more mana.

Owzers

I don't think I like this, what's next, a spell that makes spells cost 5 more for your opponent next turn or activates battle cries twice?

pantsmith

I can only hope this will lead to more Warlocks accidentally killing themselves while having Mistress of Pain on the board in Wild.

Otherwise, the only potential I see from this card is some kind of Priest combo deck that needs the 2 extra mana over Auchenai to find lethal somewhere. Flash, Flash, Hero Power is already 12 for 6 mana. I'm sure there are ways to find the rest somewhere with Thaurissan. It's just hard to imagine not preferring to have the 3/5 body also for only 2 more mana.

I guess the tradeoff is that Auchenai+Circle leaves the card at 1 health. This makes the clear cheaper, and you can save Auchenai for later.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
seems weird for the card. At least soulpriest gave you a body your opponents had to deal with.

I'm assuming they want it to be run in decks that don't normally run soulpriest as a burst damage potential (either with flash heals or with velen)

Eerie Statue synergy though.

I am actually kinda looking forward to try a deck like that. The Eerie Statue deck I made after LOE is probably the worst I've ever made, but it was actually one of my most memorable hearthstone moments winning by constant removals and Eerie Statue face attacks.

I guess the tradeoff is that Auchenai+Circle leaves the card at 1 health. This makes the clear cheaper, and you can save Auchenai for later.

I thought about that too at first, but really Soulpriest Priest doesn't care that much about tempo. They more care about card value, not tempo value, and this is anti card value.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That cards neat. It actually gives you a turn 2 board wipe if you need it. It feel more "sideboard"ish to me though, where it's something that would be better if you could discover it, but I think it has potential. You may be able to do some one turn kill with Emperor Thaurissan with it though.

MattyG

Banned
So I've been playing for a few months and doing decently in quick llay, but I've been using kind of randomly cobbled together decks or just the defaults. How do you guys make decks? Do you follow guides or make your own?

I bought the 50 classic packs around Christmas, when I was really getting into the game.

IMO the discount is reasonable enough, and gives you a great starting point, but the money is only worth it if you play a lot of Hearthstone.

Given how much I play, it evens out to saving my time in the long run. Your mileage may vary.
Okay, thanks. I think I'll do the Old Gods one since I really love the concept of the expansion and I've been wanting to make a bit addition to my deck for a while. I've only bought a couple packs here or there. Do you know if it charges immediately or when the packs get delivered?

georly

That cards neat. It actually gives you a turn 2 board wipe if you need it. It feel more "sideboard"ish to me though, where it's something that would be better if you could discover it, but I think it has potential. You may be able to do some one turn kill with Emperor Thaurissan with it though.

That's true, no more leaving your soulpriest at 1 health. Again, only good on a priest nuke/shadow deck, but that's a good usage of it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah but often after the clear, I'd prefer to have the minion out for SMOrc. You are right, but I just don't see the 2 mana discount being worth it over other cards already in the deck. In Wild, with Zombie Chows and such this probably makes an OTK Priest possible. But in Standard, I don't see this doing much that you wouldn't rather do with Auchenai.

Juggler is at its strongest when it's left alone after turn 2. You drop it early, fishing for early removal and when it's left alone you have a giant tempo swing for turn 3 with muster/UTH/Creeper.

This is where Juggler wins games. The late game combo is useful too but it's not why Juggler is a problem.
Yeah, but most decks have early removal. Backstab, War Axe, Frostbolt, Darkbomb, Lightning Bolt, etc. If your Juggler lives for a turn, amazing. That isn't common, though. I will play him on turn 2 bare if I have a Voidwalker around from turn 1, though. That is a somewhat reasonable risk to me.

Really? Is this true. I've only been playing casual since I thought that would be the way to go for a newbie...

Also I got some dust for disenchanting my first card and sprung for one of these guys:

mirror-entity.jpg

Only played it once but it was pretty great seeing the opponent drop a nice, big, fancy minion for me to copy.
Wait until someone plays around it properly. ;)

Thanks for the juggler assist, folks!!

I assume if I play it in my deck with egg, he'll pop when the 4/4 comes out?
Yup!

When you say cards suck, do you mean they're not strong or that they're uninteresting? Huge difference.
I usually mean uninteresting. I won't gauge power levels until we see the Classic/Basic nerfs.

They create new archetypes but other archetypes get pushed out. LOE gave us Renolock and now nobody plays Handlock anymore. This is the result of an increasing power curve. In a world where standard doesn't exist, new archetypes would push out old ones (making certain cards implicitly useless) while strong archetypes get stronger with fewer and fewer substitutions (making it harder the include new cards).
This is the perfect example in my favor. I face a roughly equal number of Renolock and Handlock decks online. It's a matter of personal preference. I like Handlock more because it is more consistent and works with my playstyle. Someone else might like the big risk involved with Reno. Both decks are viable choices, and are variants of an archetype. This is exactly what Blizzard should shoot for.

EVERYTHING is relative in card games. It is literally impossible to create a card game where every card (or even most) is good. At least half of all cards will be worse than the other half, and therefore "bad".
Such a straw man.

Aside from the fact that Basic/Classic is evergreen there is not much I can criticize on Standard as a concept. All of this makes sense and is healthy for the game as a whole. These are problems that card games have been grappling with for a long time. If you cannot recognize these basic facts about card game design then it is probably best you leave the game. Blizzard will be perfectly successful without you because what they are doing is very beneficial to new players.
"If you don't like it leave". Maybe you should try hearing other perspectives. Quite a few people in this thread have said they don't like the change. They may be in the minority, but I don't think your attitude is the right response to that unless you just want to kick everyone who disagrees with you out of the thread.

enabling more combos from hand, just what people was asking for
Blizzard is basically a real life two-headed ogre.

sibarraz

Banned
I know that this has a lot of conditions, but with a justicar'd priest, and 3 of this 4 cards reduced with thaurissan (Flash Healx2, Prophet Velen, Embrace The Shadows), you can make 28 of damage in one turn.

Also you can play a shadowpriest variant where you will do slighlty less damage on the combo but maybe you would had made more damage on the opponent deck.

Also if alextrasa isn't nerfed this card could be huge. I think that is a great card for priest, but for combo priest, not control priest

georly

Turn 6-8 emperor, turn 9 alex, turn 10 prophet/this/flash heal flash heal. Not consistent, but fun. This makes it a little easier to do, but still.

Acerac

Banned
I think it's based on the past-precedence associated with similar games such as Magic the Gathering. I doubt Hearthstone is somehow going to break the trend, especially when everything they have stated conforms to the trend.
Modern is played by tons of people.

In my local scene it's become more popular than standard.

Frenden

Banned
WARRIOR LEGENDARY, HNGH. I hope you're right. I used to play Deathwing in the very early, pre-expansion days of Wallet Warrior and having a viable version of the old lug would be so rad.

There is a new Deathwing, we've seen the art. Just don't know what it is.

Madness of Deathwing - 12/12. Can't Attack. After three turns, destroy your opponent.

greepoman

Yeah but often after the clear, I'd prefer to have the minion out for SMOrc. You are right, but I just don't see the 2 mana discount being worth it over other cards already in the deck. In Wild, with Zombie Chows and such this probably makes an OTK Priest possible. But in Standard, I don't see this doing much that you wouldn't rather do with Auchenai.

It's not about would you rather do this with auchenai it's about would it complement a deck with auchenai. It gives you more options so you can making a larger tempo play than having a 3/1 on the board. It also makes the circle combo more reliable so you don't have to rely on a certain 2 cards (which will matter a lot more with lightbomb gone). It also gives you the option to do a 3 mana 5 dmg nuke with flash heal or 3 mana 3 dmg and summon a lightwarden.

Sure you might rather play 4 soul priests but since that's not an option I think this card has a nice role in those decks especially if priests get more heal spells.

Ridli

Okay, thanks. I think I'll do the Old Gods one since I really love the concept of the expansion and I've been wanting to make a bit addition to my deck for a while. I've only bought a couple packs here or there. Do you know if it charges immediately or when the packs get delivered?

Youll be charged up front, but you can at least use the card back immediately. Be warned, you'll be forced to look at that 50 unopened packs every time you login until they finally release the set.

georly

So I've been playing for a few months and doing decently in quick llay, but I've been using kind of randomly cobbled together decks or just the defaults. How do you guys make decks? Do you follow guides or make your own?

Don't forget to do the amazon coins route, if possible. You basically get an 18% discount.

That's Priest card is horrible design.

Only usable in combo OTK deck for Priest that Blizzard specifically nerfs.

It's one step better than a card that has no possible uses, even in tavern brawl (cough cough nerfed warsong)

Peléo

I think this card is amazing. Some interesting (maybe not) notes:

-OTK decks have more burst potential
-Circle Combo become more consistent
-Reno Priest may start running Auchenai + Circle + Injured Blademaster combo
-Synergy with the Corrupted Healbot/Zombie Chow
-Plays around Mirror Entity (meh)
-Maybe Gadgetzan Auctioneer/ Violet Teacher (priest has other more useful spells though)
-Save Auchenai for later stages of the game, insteado of basically sacrificing it on turn 4

Ridli

The only thing I can think that embrace the shadows does better is allowing you to do priest flame strike 2 turns earlier. If Mech Mage God opening was still a thing I could see this being more important.

I suppose there may also be some situations where you want an Auchenai effect but immediately need to heal the next turn and can't spend the time to ping off your own Auchenai. Like, you can't Auchenai circle turn 4 then healbot/funnel cake turn 5. But that seems pretty niche.

MattyG

Banned
Don't forget to do the amazon coins route, if possible. You basically get an 18% discount.
What is that? Do I buy Blizzard credit with Amazon coins or something?

I just bought 40 classic packs actually, (I'll probably grab the Old Gods pre-order next week) which is my first big purchase on the game other than Naxxramas. Got some pretty decent cards, but only 1 legendary. It made me laugh, so it's a good one.

602.png

I made the decision yesterday to stop buying so many small games and focus on just a few (HotS, SC2, D3, and this mostly). I figured it'd save me money. That has not held true at all today...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Velen, Embrace the Shadows, Flash Heal, Flash Heal, Mind Blast. That's 30 damage and you only need a Thaurissan proc on 3 of those.

Might be a worse Freeze Mage in Standard but might work in Wild since Lightbomb is still a thing there.

georly

What is that? Do I buy Blizzard credit with Amazon coins or something?

I just bought 40 classic packs. Got some pretty decent cards. Only 1 legendary. It made me laugh, so it's a good one.

602.png

There's a legendary pity timer, so you're guaranteed one legendary at least once every 40~ packs, I think?

And amazon coins, you need to get the app on an android phone through the amazon store and it lets you use coins instead of money. You can buy 50 bucks worth of coins for $41. And I think you make some coins back somehow?

http://amzn.com/B0096E8EC2

If you don't have an android phone, I think there are ways around that? You'd have to look into it.

MattyG

Banned
There's a legendary pity timer, so you're guaranteed one legendary at least once every 40~ packs, I think?

And amazon coins, you need to get the app on an android phone through the amazon store and it lets you use coins instead of money. You can buy 50 bucks worth of coins for $41. And I think you make some coins back somehow?

http://amzn.com/B0096E8EC2

If you don't have an android phone, I think there are ways around that? You'd have to look into it.
Ohhhh, okay. Yeah, I have the Amazon app and I vaguely remember using coins to get free apps once. Didn't realize you could get Blizzard credit with it, that's awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Running that priest card to enable more consitent Auchenai combos just feels bad when priest is losing some of their great early game tools (Deathlord, Velen's, Dark Cultist) getting this and having to use it to enable a combo just feels bad. Without strong early game or powerful AoE Priest is looking to return to dumpster tier.

The AoEs shown so far look like Blizzard wants Priest to rely on wiping the board early to play into late game cards, and that just isn't a consistent enough plan against the aggressive decks out there. Even Aggro Shaman (which should still exist in standard, most of the cards are still legal) will just overwhelm you unless you're running both Excavated Evil and Holy Nova it seems. And then you're edging out other cards that you'd want to actually play minions. Priest is in a rough spot, and it doesn't look to be getting better.

MattyG

Banned
Harrison is really good. He goes in and out of the meta but he is worth keeping.
Good, because I love it. I'm glad it's actually useful.

That's one other question I have that I don't really get; getting rid of cards. How does that work? How do I decide what to keep and what to get turn into crafting materials (that's what you do with them, right?)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just all of the sudden getting the urge to understand every aspect of this game after playing only super casually for a couple months.

georly

Good, because I love it. I'm glad it's actually useful.

That's one other question I have that I don't really get; getting rid of cards. How does that work? How do I decide what to keep and what to get turn into crafting materials (that's what you do with them, right?)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just all of the sudden getting the urge to understand every aspect of this game after playing only super casually for a couple months.

By knowing exactly what decks you want to play and knowing which cards are trash.

Personally, I only dust a card once I have more than 2 of it (or 1, for legendaries). I want a full set before I dust anything. I also dust gold ones first (if they're the 3rd), since I don't care about the shiny.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Velen, Embrace the Shadows, Flash Heal, Flash Heal, Mind Blast. That's 30 damage and you only need a Thaurissan proc on 3 of those.

Might be a worse Freeze Mage in Standard but might work in Wild since Lightbomb is still a thing there.

I think the Priest OTK has some potential in Wild for sure. Is it better than Freeze mage in wild? Probably not. Also probably not as consistent as the Warrior OTK, or Anyfin Paladin in Wild. But it will definitely win some games from surprise.

If nothing else, this set has shown that Blizzard can sometimes craft cards that are good in Wild but not so great in Standard.

That's Priest card is horrible design.

Only usable in combo OTK deck for Priest that Blizzard specifically nerfs.
Why is Blizzard even making this card, then?

I wish Lightwell, when switched to "damage", would target enemies instead of allies. I would run that with Shadowform somehow.

Kibler more or less confirmed on stream that it is a new Deathwing. Full reveal happening in about 45 mins.
Hype!

Top Bottom