• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

im assuming no battlecries, and idk. It's effect isnt super great since most dragon decks are tempo based and running a lot of late game dragons is meh. Plus if you pull all your dragons then you may lose activators later in the game.

The upside is that I can see this pulling out the 2/8 dragon for free for you instead of using 6 mana or w/e for it. That isnt that bad actually

Apathy

Don't forget he could also summon his other deathwing.

Depends on board state turn 9. You might use it to make room for him, clearing enemy minions, etc.

Hell I'd use her to bait out some sort of removal. Yes you do have to save removal (or silence) for him but if I can force something out of my opponent or even if he does get silenced or polyed then I'll still hand her already on the board

georly

So we refer to this card as Dragonlord right? Or DW2?

DarkWing Duck.

When you're in trouble you call Dee Double U.

Hell I'd use her to bait out some sort of removal. Yes you do have to save removal (or silence) for him but if I can force something out of my opponent or even if he does get silenced or polyed then I'll still hand her already on the board

If the meta is slow enough, it's possible some decks will have more threats than their opponent can afford removal/silence.

I wonder what dragons you'd put in your deck to best enable it

Ysera and chillmaw for sure, and probably Azures since they're always good. Twilight drakes might get cut, and you probably need guardians in order to survive. Malygos is only good if the deck is built around it, and the only dragon synergy deck with it is malylock and that might not be viable without darkbomb.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is the Timmy set, holy shit.

The fact that new Deathwing's effect comes as a Deathrattle probably kills it dead competitively. Polymorph, Hex, Entomb, and Mind Control just murder the card.

I wonder if this will give birth to Dragon Tempo.

The fact that new Deathwing's effect comes as a Deathrattle probably kills it dead competitively. Polymorph, Hex, Entomb, and Mind Control just murder the card.
It makes sense to make a bunch of Timmy cards with the advent of Standard.

georly

Battlecry or end of turn would be beyond broken though. You'd basically need twisting nether or doom in some instances.

oh shit its deathrattle? thought it was battlecry

thing is unplayable. will be fun in tavern brawls

Dragon consort makes it pretty sick though.

ZealousD

Battlecry or end of turn would be beyond broken though. You'd basically need twisting nether or doom in some instances.

Not saying it should be a battlecry. Just like Rhonin probably shouldn't be a battlecry. But that doesn't mean it is competitive as a deathrattle either. I mean he passes the BGH test but that doesn't mean he's impossible to punish.

oh shit its deathrattle? thought it was battlecry

thing is unplayable. will be fun in tavern brawls
The fact that everyone will be saving their removal cards for it will let you do more shit on previous turns. You can play Ysera or Maly and not really worry about them getting removed. Seems like a fun mindgame.

ZealousD

Then what will you play for nine turns? Every good dragon but Ysera and Malygos (which you would only play in a very specific deck) has a battlecry.

A 12/12 that becomes an 8/8 is pretty good even if you skip the battlecry, as long as your gameplan doesn't REQUIRE that Battlecry. Like if he pulls Onyxia or Nefarian you are probably still happy.

That said, we are talking about some very top heavy dreams, that is for sure. I think he's much more clunky than people may realize.

georly

Then what will you play for nine turns? Every good dragon but Ysera and Malygos (which you would only play in a very specific deck) has a battlecry.

There are a couple of mid-tier dragons like volcanic/hungry you might throw in to benefit from this, but for the most part, yeah.

Even if this is deathrattle, summon ysera, that's pretty good, but as it's been said, you'd likely already have her down. Dragon consort lets you play this on turn 8 though, but even still, dragon paladin isn't a thing (yet).

A 12/12 that becomes an 8/8 is pretty good even if you skip the battlecry, as long as your gameplan doesn't REQUIRE that Battlecry. Like if he pulls Onyxia or Nefarian you are probably still happy.

That said, we are talking about some very top heavy dreams, that is for sure. I think he's much more clunky than people may realize.

Chromaggus is a really solid pull, too, especially if your opponent kills him off for you and you then draw a double. But, again, then you're running chromaggus, which didn't usually end up doing that well in dragon priest, even WITH cleric and shield.

gutshot

I think this card will get played in every Dragon deck.

No way. The best Dragon decks currently are tempo decks and run dragons with powerful battlecries or dragon synergistic cards that rely on you having dragons in your hand. You wouldn't want to run Dragonlord in the current iteration of Dragon Priest for example.

I agree with Kibler that Dragon Paladin is a deck that you might want to run this in. It will be more of a control dragon deck, not the tempo dragon decks we see now. You can make a pretty greedy deck as Paladin has a very strong board clear in Equality+Pyro and also some good healing cards like Lightlord or Forbidden Healing. Also Consort lets you cheat this or other high cost dragons out early.

^^Yeah, basically what gutshot said.

Thinking about it, a lot of dragons have really good Battlecries. You're really only looking for getting a lot of bodies on board here.

Apathy

The fact that everyone will be saving their removal cards for it will let you do more shit on previous turns. You can play Ysera or Maly and not really worry about them getting removed. Seems like a fun mindgame.

Yup, this is what I'm thinking too. You will show you're playing a dragon deck early, therefore your opponent is going to say "ok good chance they have a deathwing and I gotta save some removal for that". You then get to play something like say chromaggus that they are forced to remove, then your ysera or malygos or alex on 9. Your opponent can't just let that be on the board either, and forces them to do something horrible or here comes big daddy deathwing on 10. Even if he gets silenced/poly'd hey guess what, you still got other dragons

georly

As a fan of dragons (and pirates, but pirates aint getting shit this expac), I'll do my best to TRY to make this work. Hopefully it's not dragon warrior, I can't afford warrior yet.

Yup, this is what I'm thinking too. You will show you're playing a dragon deck early, therefore your opponent is going to say "ok good chance they have a deathwing and I gotta save some removal for that". You then get to play something like say chromaggus that they are forced to remove, then your ysera or malygos or alex on 9. Your opponent can't just let that be on the board either, and forces them to do something horrible or here comes big daddy deathwing on 10. Even if he gets silenced/poly'd hey guess what, you still got other dragons
Yeah exactly this.

And why is everyone like deathrattle = unplayable?

Are Mage, Priest, and Shaman all of a sudden the only classes in the game?

Edit: getting hit with a sap is gonna piss me off though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DA FUQ? It's Deathrattle? Never mind. Not a playable card.

It would be a bit too powerful if it was a Battlecry effect.
Also let's not forget that BGH is getting nerfed hard body.

Chromaggus, Coldarra, Chillmaw, the new epic Dragon, to name a few. Also you don't need them to be "good dragons" if they can be played for free. I'm sure I'll be fine with my Nefarian/Alex not activating it's battlecry when it gets summoned along several other big dragons.

It would be a bit too powerful if it was a Battlecry effect.
Also let's not forget that BGH is getting nerfed hard body.
Even if BGH didn't get nerfed, who would give a shit? You killed a dragon and just summoned a bunch more.

Now if the damn owl AND that silly ass hunter didn't get nerfed, then we would have a problem.

Apathy

tried building a paladin dragond eck right now online, the only problem is that i'm trying to get more early game and there are a bunch of 4 mana cards

georly

Limits card design perhaps? Never really considered Auchenai a card with the crosshairs on it like BGH.

Unless they want to give priest a 10 mana spell that heals 30 HP or something, I don't see a reason to nerf it, especially if they made a cheaper card with the same potentially limiting design that will be around for 2 years.

Sheroking

I think Deathwing, Dragonlord is pretty reasonable.

It's most vulnerable to Polymorph and Hex, but those two cards aren't too commonly played - and even if they are more widely utilized in standard, that's two classes who need to draw that answer before Deathwing, Dragonlord can die.

Silence is going to get nerfed, but even if DD does get silenced, it's still the classic Deathwing (with better card art :)), only minus the battlecry - which is actually mostly better than OG Deathwing.

I hear people talking about sacrificing battlecries, but honestly, if you Varian out Alex - it's usually a good thing. The only time it's not is when you NEED the heal to not lose the game. Other dragons it can pull - including Deathwing, Ysera and Chromaggus are really powerful cards to summon instead of playing.

Honestly, the one thing that concerns me is that Dragon synergy is all about having dragons in your hand to enable effects like Blackwing Corrupter. Maybe the new Deathwing, Dragonlord deck doesn't need tempo effects, though, and those cards don't need to be played at all. A huge issue in Dragon is not drawing a dragon to enable your early game cards - that's an inconsistency that may not exist in a Deathwing control deck.

It's not going to make the best deck in the game, but I can see it being reasonable enough to play on ladder.

Pooya

lol at deahtwing, all this 10 mana cards and they even printed a card that draws you a 10 mana card at the START of your turn. Blizzard is so out of touch with their own game sometimes. yeah sure... they desperately want to make the game slower but so far I don't see it happening. There is nothing stopping face shaman or even face hunter type decks.

Why? It's not completely broken, it's actually pretty balanced. Why nerf it? Just cuz they made a spell with her effect?

It's too strong and being part of core set priest decks will always run it, they can't possibly print a better 4 drop for priest. Look at holy champion, perfectly good card, it's niche at best. It's the same logic that we've heard they're applying to druid cards and potentially rogue cards.
If soul priest's text is worth a 2 mana spell now, well with that body, it seems too much. I don't think it needs a nerf personally I'm just saying a card like this existing could hint at a potential change.

FeD.nL

I'm getting quite excited to build an N'zoth Hunter. Savannah's/Sylvanas/Deathwing, use spells in the early game, king's Elekk, call of the wild, unleash the hound + volcanic drake.

Now to look at card draw.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dear Customer,

It appears that you are contacting us from a region outside of the Americas/Canada. As such please follow the link below for the appropriate support contact for your area/region as they should be able to assist you further with your inquiry:

Support link for titles released in the European region:
http://www.bandainamcoent.eu/support
Thanks for helping me Namco, you incompetent fucks. How about sending it to the right support for me next time? Pieces of shits.

Sheroking

Yeah exactly this.

And why is everyone like deathrattle = unplayable?

Are Mage, Priest, and Shaman all of a sudden the only classes in the game?

Edit: getting hit with a sap is gonna piss me off though.

Priest isn't even that bad. Lightbomb is gone so there's no clearing the board after Deathwing procs. Worst thing that can happen is they Entomb it.

Okay, you've used one relevant piece of a removal in a deck with 6 targets you need to remove. Like 4 of them do something the turn they're played, and if you can't answer them, they beat you clean.

Dragon Paladin beats Control Priest IMO and Control Priest is losing it's best answer.

lol at deahtwing, all this 10 mana cards and they even printed a card that draws you a 10 mana card at the START of your turn. Blizzard is so out of touch with their own game sometimes. yeah sure... they desperately want to make the game slower but so far I don't see it happening. There is nothing stopping face shaman or even face hunter type decks.

It's too strong and being part of core set priest decks will always run it, they can't possibly print a better 4 drop for priest. Look at holy champion, perfectly good card, it's niche at best. It's the same logic that we've heard they're applying to druid cards and potentially rogue cards.
If soul priest's text is worth a 2 mana spell now, well with that body, it seems too much. I don't think it needs a nerf personally I'm just saying a card like this existing could hint at a potential change.
"Our plan is to slow down the meta by printing a lot of slow cards."

Dahbomb

If you play this card, then use OG Death wing on it... do you get to summon your dragons in hand or do they get discarded anyway?

Auchenai Priestess getting nerfed would kill Control Priest.

I just had a druid use naturalize on my refreshment vendor that had only 1 health left. I was like, NO! USE YOUR HERO POWER, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Felt bad, oh well, free arena win

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There is nothing stopping face shaman or even face hunter type decks.
If they wanted, they could nerf Kill Command to only hit minions, and the same for Rockbiter Axe.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a second round of nerfs if they don't get what they want.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
If you play this card, then use OG Death wing on it... do you get to summon your dragons in hand or do they get discarded anyway?

Discarding the Hand is part of playing Deathwing. So that would happen before DD dies, so you get nothing except the original Deathwing played. Not a great combo, haha

Apathy

I think the battlecry would go off first, and his battlecry is to destroy the board and get rid of your hand, so it would do that before, then the deathrattle and then nothing cause you have no hand, but it's Blizzard, so who the hell knows how they code it and how broken it'll be at the start (or even after a small patch)

Top Bottom