• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heist [Mafia] |OT| Snakes on a Train

Karu

Eh seems to be sitting in the middle of the two positions and doesn't make much sense to me. A weak vote on little reasoning doesn't provide any use in going back and looking at voting patterns either. Cabot provides multiple (possibly superfluous) data points to look at later while prodding people, Royal provides one strong data point of who he find a suspicious every day. You say votes that dilute the benefit of analysis are scummy and move people up your suspicion list, but I don't see how your first vote is useful.

But you've put forth your logic, so fair enough.
A weak Vote is not a strong contributor, either, fair enough. I just saw a slight difference in "First-Post/First Hour-Vote" and "Four-Votes-First Hour-Vote" - it's more erratic and gives one a change to throw some names out there. It's not a big drama, but worth a thought on Day One I think.

squidyj

I asked him to give them the list, and he did so. So in a sense, yeah.

Obviously I'm not happy that I'm in top of his scum reads, but based on this post:

I assume he is talking about me, and it sounds like he won't tell his reasoning for now, as he says that he will say more about it later. I would want to hear more why he thinks I'm scum, but I'm not going to kick him to spat it out, either. I will say though, that I can't really defend myself, until he elaborates more.

what makes you think i was talking about you when I said I was looking at somebody? I mean, if I refused to name the person I'm looking at wouldn't it be kind of silly for me to then name them as a scum target?

Also..... backup darryl? On my birthday? that hurts man :(

cabot

Happy birthday man. Can I get a reason for you wanting to lynch me as a birthday gift?

It is my birthday in 3 weeks.

Burbeting

Banned
what makes you think i was talking about you when I said I was looking at somebody? I mean, if I refused to name the person I'm looking at wouldn't it be kind of silly for me to then name them as a scum target?

Well I guess it seems logical to assume, that if you say you think someone is "probably scum anyways", you would name them your first lynch candidate.

squidyj

Happy birthday man. Can I get a reason for you wanting to lynch me as a birthday gift?

It is my birthday in 3 weeks.

I'm going to read you as scum whether you're scum or not, you were saved in Archer by Ouro but I would have read you as scum there. It's happened in other places whethere I was following along or playing. so. It's a big headache that's going to throw off my other reads based on interaction with you so I just wanted to push to get you gone early on and then you reacted in a sort of scummy way to the things I and other people are doing which strengthened my resolve to carry forward on my plan.

I've been at work m8.

Anyway, I don't actually have any deeper reasons for my Splinter vote. You simply aren't exciting me with your posts.

I'm sort of aware of the fact that we have very active posters who are discussing things, and you posted a bit late, but it doesn't feel like you're providing anything new.

redhood56

Banned
I've been at work m8.

Anyway, I don't actually have any deeper reasons for my Splinter vote. You simply aren't exciting me with your posts.

I'm sort of aware of the fact that we have very active posters who are discussing things, and you posted a bit late, but it doesn't feel like you're providing anything new.
Posting anything new and worthwhile is kinda hard since it's D1.

Droplet

Hey everyone, I'm back. Apologies for my absence, I had a final to study for. But now that's over, so I can spend time with all of you!

First as a general note, I believe this is my first time playing with any of you, so aside from cursory knowledge of each player I'm not overly familiar with anyone's play styles, and I imagine it's likewise for most of you with me.

So to preface, I'd like to add that although I agree that obviously players do need to be active, I don't like the idea of just scum hunting based on low post count. I don't mind if people are particularly inactive if their posts have actual weight. I'm more cautious of players calling out those with low post counts but with little else to say. That's all I'll say on that.

Moving on.

Vote: CrimsonFist

I have to admit, I'm not overly happy about redhood's posts. His constant emphasis on him being town strikes me as a bit of a red flag.

Seeing as this is my second game, it would probably be easier to list people not in my blind spot, which would be Burbeting, CornBurrito, Cabot and FluxWaveZ. I can't say I've noticed anything overly odd about those four so far. Cabot in particular is acting pretty much the same way as he did in Woof.

As for people in this game, I feel like it's probably two early to say, Droplet so far seems to be the one who's left the smallest impression as you say. In general though most people seem at least more active than the lowest posters in Woof.

Airing suspicions, but so far not only no active vote, no vote at all. I understand maybe having not having reads on day one, especially on the actual day one, but if you're going to voice your suspicions, you should have a vote somewhere. It reads more like you're trying to give a more vocal player reason to start a vote so you don't have to be accountable for it if things go south. I specifically don't like you going after redhood, who's been an admittedly easy target today, and of course me, who hasn't posted until now for reasons I already specified. Of course I don't mind if you're calling anyone out for inactivity, but with only easy targets, you're playing like you don't want anyone to notice you.

Just as a heads up, I'll be driving home to my family tomorrow, but I should be there and on my laptop in the later evening (That's afternoon or something in US time)

Happy birthday :) Is the problem the Darryl or the Backup?

Ouro's check in was mostly useless (love you buddy), and I was aware of this, so yeah he's on my radar currently. I feel kind of good about Mazre just now, I thought he'd be quite quiet, but he's contributed and he's actively looking to forward discussion (talking about blind spots) so for now I don't see any real worries.

My gut tells me redhood is just excited to be back in a game of mafia after 8 months or however long ago Star Wars was. I'm applying the logic of me in Archer, my first game here. I was desperate to let everyone know i was town as soon as possible, so i could get down to having people trust me and going for the scumhunting.

My logic is flimsy because obviously this isn't redhood's debut, but I feel an 8 month gap, I could see myself being almost as excited as a new player again. I've also noted that redhood was ordinary in SW and had quite a lot of heat through his time there, so it may just be a player that can come off as scummy to some people. I'll be focusing on him as the day phase progresses.

Burb I can't entirely take my own read on at face value, but I don't see this as Burb trying to force his way as town leader. I don't want to really defend him here, this is more a 'seems like normal Burb' comment, and I'm not suspicious of him for this reason. This is his style of play.

I don't know Ty too well (I guess we can add him to my blind spot list!) so I can't yet comment, he hasn't stuck out, for better or for worse.

Flux is a slight town lean to me just now, he seems more to be like what I remember from Woof 1 rather than Woof 2. Early days, but yeah, currently positive vibes.
Is that a reaction to my lists or unrelated? CrimsonFist is missing, but I guess you're still suspicious of him? (I don't think he posted anything meaningful since you had him on your scumlist). As this is all just gut I don't have a lot of ground to argue, and the only one I could I'm not allowed to because I would use something from an ongoing game as comparison.

I'm going to read you as scum whether you're scum or not, you were saved in Archer by Ouro but I would have read you as scum there. It's happened in other places whethere I was following along or playing. so. It's a big headache that's going to throw off my other reads based on interaction with you so I just wanted to push to get you gone early on and then you reacted in a sort of scummy way to the things I and other people are doing which strengthened my resolve to carry forward on my plan.
So you're just going to policy lynch Cabot in each game you play with him? Because as I interpret your first sentence you read cabot's actions as "scum" no matter what which kind of devalues your last sentence. Also as far as I see it you are currently the only one reading cabot explicitly as scum?

First as a general note, I believe this is my first time playing with any of you, so aside from cursory knowledge of each player I'm not overly familiar with anyone's play styles, and I imagine it's likewise for most of you with me.
I kind of remember you from spectating Cthulhu.

Vote: CrimsonFist

Airing suspicions, but so far not only no active vote, no vote at all. I understand maybe having not having reads on day one, especially on the actual day one, but if you're going to voice your suspicions, you should have a vote somewhere. It reads more like you're trying to give a more vocal player reason to start a vote so you don't have to be accountable for it if things go south. I specifically don't like you going after redhood, who's been an admittedly easy target today, and of course me, who hasn't posted until now for reasons I already specified. Of course I don't mind if you're calling anyone out for inactivity, but with only easy targets, you're playing like you don't want anyone to notice you.

Fair enough. Maybe I should have voted, but this early on I don't really feel like any of those reads are strong enough to be worth wanting to lynch over.

Also on that topic: his continued persistence on calling himself town in a later post make me think that he probably isn't actually scum, seeing as I'd have thought that scum would have corrected that habit after being called out on it. Although then I might expect a townie to do the same as well.

My comment on you wasn't intended as any sort of accusation, I was simply answering a question as to who I hadn't really noticed, and I admittedly overlooked your comment about not being around at the start. I'm not going to start accusing people for being inactive for less than a day, especially after the levels of inactivity we had in Woof.

Droplet

Oh yeah happy birthday squidy.

Fair enough. Maybe I should have voted, but this early on I don't really feel like any of those reads are strong enough to be worth wanting to lynch over.

Also on that topic: his continued persistence on calling himself town in a later post make me think that he probably isn't actually scum, seeing as I'd have thought that scum would have corrected that habit after being called out on it. Although then I might expect a townie to do the same as well.

My comment on you wasn't intended as any sort of accusation, I was simply answering a question as to who I hadn't really noticed, and I admittedly overlooked your comment about not being around at the start. I'm not going to start accusing people for being inactive for less than a day, especially after the levels of inactivity we had in Woof.

I'm fine with that, and I don't mean to point you out specifically because you mentioned my absence, my problem is that you seem to be artificially inflating your activity by noting your suspicions but laying low in the conversations that people have been having around you. I understand if you don't want to get caught in the crossfire between Squidy/Cabot and Corn/Splinter, but I mind that you're "contributing", and yet without a vote you're not doing so at all. So why not? Nothing to say?

cabot

My vote stays where it is. You admit you can't read me as anything other than scum, and only one occasion has that read been right. Instead of admitting a blind spot and maybe deferring to others, you'd rather have me dead instead.

Nonsense.

Oh yeah happy birthday squidy.

I'm fine with that, and I don't mean to point you out specifically because you mentioned my absence, my problem is that you seem to be artificially inflating your activity by noting your suspicions but laying low in the conversations that people have been having around you. I understand if you don't want to get caught in the crossfire between Squidy/Cabot and Corn/Splinter, but I mind that you're "contributing", and yet without a vote you're not doing so at all. So why not? Nothing to say?

Pretty much tbh. A lot of the conversation seems to fall into comparing posters past activities, and whilst I don't have a problem with that as a tactic, not having played with most people here makes it harder to find something to contribute with.

Vote: Royal_Flush

In your large post, you list redhood and Ouro as the people you have your eye on, but the reasons you give just feel like you're parroting other posters. Can you elaborate on these reads at all?

squidyj

So..... I've made no secret that I find burbeting to be suspicious, not least of which because he seems to have instantly assumed he was the person I said I was watching, and part of that is based on something he said earlier in the thread. Burbeting said that we can't trust anyone 100% in this game.
This is a true statement. It's also a statement that can be seen as trying to help mafia. One of the things we NEED to do as town is reach out to and find other town members, we need to build town circles not just mafia circles, it's true that we can't trust 100% the people in our town reads but if we only try to read the people we are suspicious of we will lose.
In that vein I want to give a few of my current top town

Cornburrito. I think his reaction to being asked to give a reads list is dumb, like really dumb for real, so I feel more confident calling him town because of that

Royal_Flush. Took the time and had the insight to point out my poor use of logic when I gave Cabot my 'reason' for voting him and wanting him dead. Gave good logic and weirdly responded before Cabot.

*Splinter. Just a general town vibe off of this fella. I believe his silly little gambit thing sort of the same way I believe cornburrito's resistance to reads.

squidyj

Also Flushie I'm backup to nobody, nobody ya hear.
and every time I write a post in this thread I hear it in "minnesota nice" in my head, like I'm uh Jerry Lundegaard or ahhh Lester Nygard yknow?

cabot

Why build town circles when I'm always scum?

I also did respond to you before flush, it was just such a terrible reason I didn't know what to say.

Pretty much tbh. A lot of the conversation seems to fall into comparing posters past activities, and whilst I don't have a problem with that as a tactic, not having played with most people here makes it harder to find something to contribute with.

Vote: Royal_Flush

In your large post, you list redhood and Ouro as the people you have your eye on, but the reasons you give just feel like you're parroting other posters. Can you elaborate on these reads at all?
How am I supposed to elaborate on "Has only fluff posts"? Can you point me to any useful Ouro post so far? The only one is where he announces his future yet to be seen if really useful post.

As for Redhood the reason I stated is also something I can barely elaborate on. If you have to constantly stress you are town you probably aren't. I remember someone viewing this as "red flag" before me, but just because someone said this, it doesn't automatically qualify as parroting, does it? If you want hard internal contradictions or something: That's not something you'll usually get D1... And it's not like I would have an overwhelmingly positive gut feel about him... So that's more than I have on most other people and therefore enough to put him up there. I don't know if you are familiar with these percentage lists I make from time to time, but we are still at 55-60% probability of being scum, not something like 80%.

HI

I have decided that Tunnel Time, or Night Phases, will only be a 24 hours period for this train. Because of reasons :D.

And here's a gif of a weird Australian sport. Titled, BALL TO FACE.

tumblr_numciicFEO1sjmm5ao1_400.gif

Ty4on

So..... I've made no secret that I find burbeting to be suspicious, not least of which because he seems to have instantly assumed he was the person I said I was watching, and part of that is based on something he said earlier in the thread. Burbeting said that we can't trust anyone 100% in this game.
This is a true statement. It's also a statement that can be seen as trying to help mafia. One of the things we NEED to do as town is reach out to and find other town members, we need to build town circles not just mafia circles, it's true that we can't trust 100% the people in our town reads but if we only try to read the people we are suspicious of we will lose.
In that vein I want to give a few of my current top town

Cornburrito. I think his reaction to being asked to give a reads list is dumb, like really dumb for real, so I feel more confident calling him town because of that

Royal_Flush. Took the time and had the insight to point out my poor use of logic when I gave Cabot my 'reason' for voting him and wanting him dead. Gave good logic and weirdly responded before Cabot.

*Splinter. Just a general town vibe off of this fella. I believe his silly little gambit thing sort of the same way I believe cornburrito's resistance to reads.

Do you always post like this or did you flip scum again?

Burb: Fair enough, but it's not terribly deep despite being a very long read.
Corn: Town because dumb.
Royal: Really? I looked back and #270 wasn't bad, but the logic was much shallower than what you made it out to be.
*Splinter: I kinda see where you're going, but he hasn't interacted with a lot of people and I could imagine scum Splinter saying this:
To be honest I was hoping my early inactivity would get more attention (since I was active right up until the start). It got mentions but noone pushed it enough to be unusual. Bleh
Fake target for scum or fake brownie points.
That said, I'm more worried about those low-activity posters at this point in the game. If someone like Corn/Cabot started flashing their scum tells at me I'd be more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt - I know I'd get plenty of further opportunities to analyse them
As if we're in a game with NK immune PRs.

*Splinter

I don't understand your last point and bolding Ty. I was saying active people talk more and therefore give more material to analyse. Nothing to do with PRs

*Splinter

Also I do think Squid town reading me already was kind of weird. I don't feel I've got much of a grasp on this game so far (and Corn is right, most of what I've said wasn't new).

If Cabot or I do die during the night we clearly weren't scum. If we keep on surviving and keep on posting then if we are scum we will post something that gives us away. My vote is on Splinter but come on Ty4on.

Ty4on

Also I do think Squid town reading me already was kind of weird. I don't feel I've got much of a grasp on this game so far (and Corn is right, most of what I've said wasn't new).

I'm guessing it's some weird gambit, but he made similar posts in Night Vale.

I haven't played with town squidy, though.

*Splinter

You talk as if you know you'll survive the night.
Do I really need to explain this?
I was comparing high activity to low activity players in a hypothetical. If I'm playing with them I'm trying to analyse them, if I'm dead I'm too busy berating the remaining townies

Ty4on

If Cabot or I do die during the night we clearly weren't scum. If we keep on surviving and keep on posting then if we are scum we will post something that gives us away. My vote is on Splinter but come on Ty4on.

I know I'd get plenty of further opportunities to analyse them

I dunno. Hard to do that when you're dead and then town wishes you had posted some extra reads on them before you died.

*Splinter

I'm guessing it's some weird gambit, but he made similar posts in Night Vale.

I haven't played with town squidy, though.
I thought the same during his constant poking of Cabot. I try not to interrupt a Gambit In Progress, but we do need him to give some real opinions sooner or later.

FluxWaveZ

So Mazre, the only reason I'm suspicious to you is because my leading post was to not ignore/forgive low posters and anti-town behavior in a game like this, even though you agree with that statement? Why is it weird to lead with a post that gives a pre-emptive overview of my perception of this game?

*Splinter

I dunno. Hard to do that when you're dead and then town wishes you had posted some extra reads on them before you died.
You're really misrepresenting this now. I never meant I would withhold reads, but - all things being equal - would rather lynch low than high on D1

What reads do you expect people to give on day one that would actually be useful to town to look back on if someone died during the night? It's not like anyone can be a detective in this game.

redhood56

Banned
I think the mafia are all high activity posters because they see the talk of targeting low activity posters and they get scared so they contribute more. While I think that is good because it could be used as reads later in the game if we don't get them right away, low activity posters aren't good for the town either.

Ty4on

What reads do you expect people to give on day one that would actually be useful to town to look back on if someone died during the night? It's not like anyone can be a detective in this game.

Scum would ideally like to lynch someone who said nothing important.

Number 1 is in wifom territory, but when someone is night killed they had to have been chosen and some info from that leaks. Like in Archer squidy scumread a majority of the scum team on D1 and couldn't be killed by them because it would validate his reads.

Number 2 is more like the latter. If Splinter is killed and confirmed town we can look back at his reads knowing that they were made by a townie trying to find scum.

Top Bottom