• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell is Us - Extended Gameplay Video

Kurotri

Yeah they got me. I thought the reveal trailer was pretty forgettable so I went in with 0 expectations but this won me over. Shot right to the top of my list. It's a mix of Control and Death Stranding but it still has its own unique identity, basically all you need to win me over. I didn't even know Jonathan was still making video games. I like how he took a minute to dig at modern game design that basically destroys the meaning of exploration. I think it's why we all love Elden Ring so much, you are dropped into the game and left to your own devices. Thick atmosphere, interesting story and lore, world, amazing art direction, it has everything. But most of all the game respects the player's intelligence.
This looks super cool. The anti-Ubisoft game. Massively interested.
Basically this.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It turns into a racing sim half-way through.
sad paul walker GIF

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Hey, the Deus Ex art director guy!

Looks interesting, eventhough I'm pretty 🙄 on souls-like, lock on camera and slowly draining down enemy health bars with melee combat, type games.
I'm so tired of Soulslop as well.

There is work to be done but the art direction is pretty interesting. Jonathan Jacques-Belletête work in Deus Ex speaks for itself.
Hot take: I like Eidos' Deus Ex games, but the art direction is all flash, little substance. It completely flies contrary to the original, and the visual story its trying to tell falls apart on inspection.

I'm seeing a similar potential problem here.
They go through the trouble of setting up an interesting scenario, and then throw in yet another ancient aliens "mystery" into the mix instead of dealing with that scenario. Replete with the most generic enemies.

Fbh

Looks really interesting. The world and overall art design is intriguing, if they have a good story to go along with it I could see myself really enjoying it.
I like what he is saying about the exploration though I'd have to see a more extended gameplay video to get a feel for it. No quest markers is good but it also makes it all the more important the world and level design is good.

The combat looks a bit meh though, not necessarily but just serviceable

Very janky animations and frame rate. But I love the concept so far.

For some reason they only uploaded the video in 30fps.
The Fextralife video someone posted a few post above is in 60fps and makes it look a lot smoother.

Nonehxc

Very janky animations and frame rate. But I love the concept so far.
Didn't 'Alpha Footage' in big white translucid letters at the top of the footage ring any bells? 🫠🫠

Optimization and bug squashing is the LAST thing you do after a game is 'content complete'...but if you watch the 4K60fps Fextralife footage, I would say this is much better than many AAA 'polished' releases being in Alpha still.

kevboard

this was by far the most interesting game of the State of Play for me. and BY A LONG SHOT as well

this looks really dann promising. realy anti modern AAA bullshit as well, which is always good.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Deus Ex bro running this piece? I approve:

BYetxh7.jpeg
650qy2Y.jpeg

I said this was one of the best things shown at the SoP and this clip is saying all the right things, will remain optimistic 👌

I knew there was more than meets the eye with this game ever since looking further into it. I’m glad you’re posting this info OP, for awareness sake.

That one Towers of Aghasba game is also being made from the devs who made Hawken.

This was one of those State of Plays where it really helps to look up the games and dev teams to know why these specific games were featured. So many people were quick to judge without doing so.

april6e

Everything about this game looks amazing except for the generic fight gameplay which is a giant problem for a game with Soulslike combat. I'm not panicking because it's alpha but they have to massively improve both the sound/feel of hits and everything about the combat in general for this game to make a splash.

Top Bottom