• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldiver’s 2 Has Lost 90% Of Its Players (Steam)

Varteras

Gold Member
A 24 hour peak of 45k is still damn good numbers. It's almost like this article was written by Forb.....

200.gif

Paul "Sony Can't Afford Bungie" Tassi strikes again!

Varteras

Gold Member
Outside of juggernauts like CoD, Fortnite and Apex you just won’t maintain player counts in the hundreds of thousands.

I’d say matching something like Sea of Thieves in the long run would be a huge achievement for Sony.

Yep. They could still trickle in millions every year just from the MTX purchases of people still playing. Considering that game probably already made its money back, that's a win. It gives them time and money to come up with ways to push the game further. Helps them keep the lights on instead of worrying about their next paycheck.

The game is almost 5 months old. That's still impressive considering how broken the game is. Waiting for some really cool maps and missions to jump back in. But that will take time. And honestly they need to fix the game before adding anything else. But if you have some mates and can squad up. Jumping in for a few games is still fun.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
You need a huge team to produce constant updates that keep the community engaged. Sony should give full support to these guys instead of investing in projects bound to fail.

Goalus

Last edited:

Alphagear

Yes it’s a live service game but it’s a bit ridiculous to compare these numbers to F2P games.

Does player retention even matter when 12 million people have bought the game for 40 dollars in a few months?

I don’t think Arrowhead/Sony or anybody expected 12 million lifetime sales let alone a few months.

Player retention matters more for F2P games cause they are dependent on microtransactions to keep the game profitable.

I’d say matching something like Sea of Thieves in the long run would be a huge achievement for Sony.
Sea of Thieves was set up to be a big game. There is a wide variety of content they can add there.

I am unable to see what exactly they can add here outside more enemy types and guns.

Can they add different story lines? Unless they are willing to make it Destiny lite, I dont see any other meaningful additions.

Holammer

A Killzone collab would make so many people shit themselves
I prefer to not have any crossover fortniteification of games. Let them take place in their own universe. Keep doing it and soon you have Mariachi & killer clowns costumes and the setting is no longer internally consistent.

Just take the engine and copy paste other properties on it, boom! New game ready to sell.

push-it.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It is tough for a Sony shill to accept facts.
Show me the factual statement he presented that you’re so eager to defend.

As for cute, I’ll humor your bullshit. He's a known a Xbox cheerleader piggybacking off a perceived negative for a game from a competing company. A game that has been a massive success and can only be spun into a negative by a “shill” (as you so colorfully put it).

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

i think alot of it has to do with how weapons were handled and how we were teased a new faction months and months ago and nothing ever came of it. people are tired of killing the same damn things

The game is great and a ton of fun with a few friends but overall it's a Side Ho kind of MP game for everyone I know. At least everyone I play MP games with has their one main game and everything else is what you play here and there when you want a break from that.

There are only a handful of enemy and mission types really, no matter how fun they are, and a limited set of AI can't compete with the endless encounter scenarios of PvP. It'll always spike when new shit comes out and then people gorge themselves on that and go back to their mainstay imo.

Hey guys, my best friend is having his PC built this week. Me have multiple games planned to play. I see articles like this and I ask - is it still worth delving into this game rn?

Luipadre

I played it almost every day for like 3 months. Great game with lots of players still, but im not going back until the new faction

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The gameplay loop is too shallow to keep coming back. Once you’ve played enough that’s that.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Me and two friends bought it, but friend codes and therefore coop online play is not possible (I know about the hoops to jump through to get it working).

Be haven’t played for what feels like months.

Topher

Gold Member
[/QUOTE]
"It doesn't count", right?

What part of "that's fine" did you not understand? It counts as long as you put it into proper context. The Steam sale is significant context which you conveniently ignored.

The user I was replying to thought that he got me first, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to look it up in the Steam topsellers list.

Nothing you are saying is changing the fact that the game has been incredibly successful. That's what Angry_Megalodon Angry_Megalodon was saying and he is correct. The only one posting bullshit gotchas here is you.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Topher

Gold Member
I had my fun with it but uninstalled a few weeks ago

Same here. It was fun for a while. I enjoyed the parody quite a bit. But it isn't something I really feel compelled to play anymore. Devs are going to have to bring something fresh into the game for it to sustain the success it has enjoyed.

Holammer

Hey guys, my best friend is having his PC built this week. Me have multiple games planned to play. I see articles like this and I ask - is it still worth delving into this game rn?
Yes, for some perspective. Back in 2016'ish you needed 40k concurrent peaks to secure a spot in Steam's Top10.
Such numbers were considered great for a healthy multiplayer population back then and it still is. Even if 50 something games reach 40k+ numbers today and you need 140k to get on the Top10 list.

A big content update with the new Illuminate faction (which is teased with in-game events) and the game will claw its way up on the Top10 again.

Alphagear

lol at the fanboys damage controlling. hell divers is a generic shooter, shouldn't be surprising.

No one is defending anything.

I just want to know why player retention matters when people are paying 40 dollar’s upfront.

It is a paid game costing 40 dollars which has sold 12 million copies already. The best selling PS launch game.

Something no on expected in lifetime sales let alone in a few months.

I think people are confusing live service games with F2P games where player retention matters cause they are dependent on microtransactions.

No players no microtransactions.

Also F2P games will naturally have higher player retention too. The article only shows Steam numbers too.

Helldivers 2 is getting money upfront. Completely irrelevant how many people play it. They have their money.

The microtransactions in Helldivers 2 are a bonus and are minimal too cause they don’t need them.

The same applies to Palworld.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Yes, for some perspective. Back in 2016'ish you needed 40k concurrent peaks to secure a spot in Steam's Top10.
Such numbers were considered great for a healthy multiplayer population back then and it still is. Even if 50 something games reach 40k+ numbers today and you need 140k to get on the Top10 list.

A big content update with the new Illuminate faction (which is teased with in-game events) and the game will claw its way up on the Top10 again.

If they can release a big update with a new enemy faction, new enemy types for the existing factions, even more biomes (people love the new jungle biome), a bunch of new mission types, new stratagems, a new warbond, and maybe even some other additions or updates I'm not thinking of, that could be big. Give it a decent marketing push and you might see player numbers jump quite a bit. Hell, they had a patch where it was mostly just balance improvements to the game people had asked for and numbers jumped for a small bit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It seems like more or less every game loses 90 percent of its playerbase within 6 months.

As long as you enjoy the game, if you're into it. It's all that matters. 50 thousand peak daily is more than enough to get some good matchmaking.

Helldivers 2 has been a huge success and it's awesome!

bender

What time is it?
I put roughly 30 hours before I got bored. I didn't care much for the robot campaign and once I completed a few runs on the hardest difficulty of the bug section, it just felt like I'd been there and done that. I tried again once they released the next months War Bound but didn't play more than a handful of matches. That said, I had a pretty good time during those 30 hours and the game does produce some spectacular moments.

Last edited:

Thanks bro

Alphagear

If they can release a big update with a new enemy faction, new enemy types for the existing factions, even more biomes (people love the new jungle biome), a bunch of new mission types, new stratagems, a new warbond, and maybe even some other additions or updates I'm not thinking of, that could be big. Give it a decent marketing push and you might see player numbers jump quite a bit. Hell, they had a patch where it was mostly just balance improvements to the game people had asked for and numbers jumped for a small bit.

Why do player numbers even matter?

It’s a paid game. What exactly do they need player retention for when people are paying for the game upfront.

It’s not a F2P game where it matters cause the income is coming from in game purchases.

Naturally you will get higher player numbers in F2P games too.

Not the case with Helldivers 2. The microtransactions are minimal and everything can be purchased using earned super credits.

The game has sold 12 million in a few months. Something no one expected even in lifetime sales.

Seems like people are using the standards for F2P games on a paid game.

Live service does not equate to F2P.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They need to introduce a PvP mode to bring people back. Asymmetrical PvP could be really fun, with one player controlling the AI from above.

I feel like the game could have had a longer leg , if the game wasn't buggy, and had proper re connection functions. Also the developers should really block the ability to kick people when near the extraction or when it countsdown. The biggest issue this game has is that while yes the railgun nerf was a dumb idea, most of the enemies on the bot side are just not fun to play. They either make them accurate and not many enemies, or accurate but not that many enemies.
The people saying the bugs are more fun to play against are a bit delusional to say the least. I seen gifs and videos of people chucking 5 rockets point blank into bile titan's head, which should be the weakspot and the titan didn't die. This is kind of the reason me and my friends stopped playing the game. The balance and bugginess of the game is all over the place. I'm hoping in a year or so the tech debt will be sorted, but right now it's not always fun. I actually found the reddit thread where this is visible.

Also I noticed how the liberation mechanic actually works better with a small amount of players, since it's scales depending on the playerbase, so the community actually screwed themselves over by being this large, since a lot of Major Orders will take longer.
The community also caught on that one of the developers in charge of the balancing was part of the Hello Neighbor 2 dev team and apparently the guy lied a lot during the development and bailed on the game.

The biggest issue is just how weird the enemy balance is, in the old HD1 game you used to be able to one shot the chargers if you used the rockets, or if you took out the sack from behind. Here it doesn't do that, and instead you need to aim for the head or legs which is weird. Also the bugs having infinite stamina, and quick turn and movement was just a dumb idea (chargers running at you and suddenly doing a 180)

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Why do player numbers even matter?

It’s a paid game. What exactly do they need player retention for when people are paying for the game upfront.

It’s not a F2P game where it matters cause the income is coming from in game purchases.

Naturally you will get higher player numbers in F2P games too.

Not the case with Helldivers 2. The microtransactions are minimal and everything can be purchased using earned super credits.

The game has sold 12 million in a few months. Something no one expected even in lifetime sales.

Seems like people are using the standards for F2P games on a paid game.

Live service does not equate to F2P.

Ummm probably because generating more buzz again would lead to more people coming back to spend more money again on warbonds and cosmetics.. Because it might entice more people to pick up the game who haven't already. Because it would bring back people like me and my friends who got bored with it and don't play anymore. Plenty of reasons to hope they do things that make people want to play it again or for the first time.

Top Bottom