• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is there an easy way to party up with psn buddies?

Anyone up for a big bug squashing session tonight?

I'm loving the game.

GymWolf GymWolf you free tonight, bud? Gg for the games last night.

My steam and psn are the same I think.

Steam: J-Simple
PSN: J-SIMPLE

"For democrecy"

Last edited:

Neolombax

No luck today for coop action, so loaded in a few easy missions solo. Its not bad once you get the hang of the slow pace and using strategems. I had a bad habit of saving strategems for the right moment. I've since decided every moment was the right moment.

Slowly grinding my way to level up, and get solo friendly strategems. The ammo backpack seems essential at the moment. Working my way to get that laser bot.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No luck today for coop action, so loaded in a few easy missions solo. Its not bad once you get the hang of the slow pace and using strategems. I had a bad habit of saving strategems for the right moment. I've since decided every moment was the right moment.

Slowly grinding my way to level up, and get solo friendly strategems. The ammo backpack seems essential at the moment. Working my way to get that laser bot.

If you need a coop buddy I'm here. Don't have to use voice chat or anything but I've got a pretty good grasp of the madness. Currently close to level 6.

DelireMan7

Definitely enjoy the game.

I really like the new coop objectives (like the one where you have to calibrate an antenna. One guy have to stay at the terminal while an another rotate the antenna. And only the guy at the terminal knows when it's in good position.).
Also it's nice that it's not only arrow inputs on terminal. Now there is some mini puzzles to solve. Not difficult but with dozen of bugs around you, it's not so easy xD

I love going for the nest. Throwing grenade in it to see it explode is so satisfying. And it's usually very well guarded. Find out the diversion is a good strategy. Me or my buddy was luring out the bugs while the other one was coming from another angle, running and throwing grenades in all the nest.

I freaking love this game ! Best to play with friend with mic on !

This week-end we'll save the democracy with 2 (maybe 3) friends. Really looking forward having a full squad on mission.

one-rule-starship-troopers.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I had some issues to join a few buddies, but my first match worked with them. After that i had errors joining them. Hopefully it's fixed today. The game itself is freaking fun! The first person mode is also great. Hopefully we get the option to choose between third person or first person in game (locked), like GTA5.

EruditeHobo

Had a bunch of fun with my group of 4 tonight.

Pleased with the ramp-up in difficulty -- after a little while we accidentally jumped into a challenging mission, which is still only like step 4 of 9 in terms of overall difficulty, and we couldn't progress.

I love the degree to which it is demanding in ways that reinforce the military unit vibe... simple small things, like not automatically reloading for you when you get through a mag, or UI showing amount of magazines left but not number of rounds. And all the options for upgrades, which seems to encourage individual specialization... especially for someone like me, because my team is going to stick together and the only time we will be playing is when we are crewed up. So we will initially upgrade according to what next fits not just our particular "build" but the unit as a whole.

Didn't personally see any crashes on PSN over the course of 2.5 hours tonight.

Really good stuff! Already looking forward to our next session.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, had to pick this up to support Arrowhead, the game is dope as fuck. Wasn't sure how the shift to this new perspective would feel but it's absolutely fantastic. Have completed a handful of missions solo which is primarily how I played the first game, it *is* viable until you reach higher difficulties but enjoyment is highly subjective, being alone against an army of bugs has it's own charms and feels intense. I do think they should add BOT support though, games like Vermintide have it do why not here.

I've got to immediately shout-out the DualSense haptics, fantastic and adds so much to a game like this (any game really) feeling the impact of every explosion, the chunky heft of your machine gun going off, the pod burning into the atmosphere when starting a mission, it all feels great. Performance = rock solid, I'm strictly talking about framerate, there is some texture pop-in but no matter the chaos unfolding it's holding the 60 FPS.

Presentation - even more than the first game - really is something special. Goofy, over-the-top and epic all at the same time. You genuinely feel you're part of a massive war effort and your contribution *matters*. Seeing territories being liberated in real time, humanity triumphant, it's a beautiful thing. Seems easy to join others games actively happening on any given map by rotating around the planet though I haven't tried MP yet.

Now my gaming plate is extra full but I'm happy I picked this up, it's a simple, action-packed good time at a reasonable price, enlist now future soldiers, humanity needs you!

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Btw i don't particularly like the unlocking system, why do i have to buy stuff that i don't want just to unlock the next tier of unlockables?
This.

The shop is weird. Don't like it either. I am forced to spend medals on stuff I don't want to unlock new stuff to be purchase.

lee50_10

Yeah but it only track steam bros.

Btw i don't particularly like the unlocking system, why do i have to buy stuff that i don't want just to unlock the next tier of unlockables?
I have a couple on PS5 that i can see on the social tab and join etc.

Yeah the store system is annoying.

Last edited:

lee50_10

Wait a moment, you see people on ps5 when you press the button to go into the social page of the game on steam?

How?
Not sure i added them through friend codes as usual it seems PC players like you are on my list have a PC logo and the others don't even when offline.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm on PC with this game
Then you have to walk me through how you do that like i'm a slow 5 years old that never touched a pc.

Thanks.

Linking the steam profile to the psn is an obligatory step to even play the game, right? So that is done at least.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Yo if your trying to add your PSN friends, give them your friend code in the social page and then they will show up as normal with steam friends

lee50_10

Then you have to walk me through how you do that like i'm a slow 5 years old that never touched a pc.

Thanks.

Linking the steam profile to the psn is an obligatory step to even play the game, right? So that is done at least.
I think your psn needs to be linked i had mine already linked a while ago i think.

Can you see/generate your friend code? i can see you on my social tab can you see me?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yo if your trying to add your PSN friends, give them your friend code in the social page and then they will show up as normal with steam friends
I have a couple of questions:

Is this friend code a steam thing or a ps5 thing? And where do i check mine? I always used name tags to add peopld on steam and ps5 so i have no idea about friend codes...

How do i "give" my friend code on people from the social page? Can't i just type my code here in the forum?

Sorry i'm extremely noob with this stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think your psn needs to be linked i had mine already linked a while ago i think.

Can you see/generate your friend code? i can see you on my social tab can you see me?
I think i linked the psn or i would not be able to play at all.
Where do i check my friend code?

lee50_10

Is this friend code a steam thing or a ps5 thing? And where do i check mine? I always used name tags to add peopld on steam and ps5 so i have no idea about friend codes...

How do i "give" my friend code on people from the social page? Can't i just type my code here in the forum?

On PC you can generate the code then share it so friends can add you. I think the friend code can expire but you can generate a new one from the social page.

Markio128

Gold Member
Shame to hear about the server issues, but other than that, the game sounds like a ton of fun. I’m going to try and jump in later tonight, or over the weekend (if my new pup allows it 🤦‍♂️), and hopefully I can accidentally kill some of you guys 😂

TrebleShot

No worries man,

So its in-game, the friend code is in the social tab of the game I think you press a button (triangle on ps5 controller) to generate a random friend code.

Then you share that with your friend and they can type it into their PS5 version of the game and it will come up as an added friend in the game.

None of it is handled through Steam or PSN, its all in-game for cross platform play, alot of games are like that including suicide squad, tekken 8 etc.

I think in the future they will update the game with PSN log in so its a little more seamless but this way works perfectly fine.

Then when you want to join your psn friend or vice versa they will be in the social tab of the game and you can invite or join them.

Had a couple of disconnects with my friend on PS5 and each time it was stupidly easy to rejoin them.

Just to add to this, you can keep generating friend codes in the game but I dont think it will have an impact on your already added friends, kind of reminds me of like adding your youtube account to a tv, it generates that code and logs you in, i think the codes are like that, they generate differently each time but your friends remain added, the codes are for new people you want to add.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
On PC you can generate the code then share it so friends can add you. I think the friend code can expire but you can generate a new one from the social page.
So i check what my steam friend code is, post here, people on ps5 can add me on their friend list with that code and when they do that i can see them on my ingame social page and play with them?

Do i need to accept their friend request on steam or ps5?

GymWolf

Gold Member
No worries man,

So its in-game, the friend code is in the social tab of the game I think you press a button (triangle on ps5 controller) to generate a random friend code.

Then you share that with your friend and they can type it into their PS5 version of the game and it will come up as an added friend in the game.

None of it is handled through Steam or PSN, its all in-game for cross platform play, alot of games are like that including suicide squad, tekken 8 etc.

I think in the future they will update the game with PSN log in so its a little more seamless but this way works perfectly fine.

Then when you want to join your psn friend or vice versa they will be in the social tab of the game and you can invite or join them.

Had a couple of disconnects with my friend on PS5 and each time it was stupidly easy to rejoin them.

Just to add to this, you can keep generating friend codes in the game but I dont think it will have an impact on your already added friends, kind of reminds me of like adding your youtube account to a tv, it generates that code and logs you in, i think the codes are like that, they generate differently each time but your friends remain added, the codes are for new people you want to add.
Oooooh shit, so it's a code from the game, not from steam.

Because apparently steam also has a friend code thing that i never used...

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Is it actually possible to play this in random groups instead of people you know?

I'm thinking of picking it up this evening, but if I'm just going to get trolled by randoms team killing me all the time that is going to get old fast

It sounds like there is a lot of communication needed to progress, something random lobbies usually dont provide

Last edited:

Zheph

Is it actually possible to play this in random groups instead of people you know?

I'm thinking of picking it up this evening, but if I'm just going to get trolled by randoms team killing me all the time that is going to get old fast
Yeah matchmaking was working fine this morning

GymWolf

Gold Member

It sounds like there is a lot of communication needed to progress, something random lobbies usually dont provide
For medium-challenging-hard mode randoms are A-ok, anything harder than that probably require some communication or like 4 super elite players.

I don't think people are trolling, it's just extremely easy to get killed by mistake, it's pretty hilarious when it happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom