• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Good wee session with tommib tommib , thanks for the add! Who is your buddy who joined us, are they on GAF? Need to convince some of my other mates to get this, I can imagine this being such a laugh on harder difficulties.

tommib

Gold Member
Good wee session with tommib tommib , thanks for the add! Who is your buddy who joined us, are they on GAF? Need to convince some of my other mates to get this, I can imagine this being such a laugh on harder difficulties.
Thanks man! That was my first session! So much to learn still. Yes, that was WRREAL. He was a GAFer. I’m sure you can add him. Need to cook dinner now.

GAME IS SO FUN! And performance mode looks great as well as HDR.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thanks man! That was my first session! So much to learn still. Yes, that was WRREAL. He was a GAFer. I’m sure you can add him. Need to cook dinner now.

GAME IS SO FUN! And performance mode looks great as well as HDR.
Game is so fun, agree 100%. Once these launch issues are ironed out it will be great. I can see me dumping a lot of hours in to this.

Neolombax

Game is really fun. Movement is sluggish but i think that was intentional. Guns are punchy esp on dual sense. But you need to play this with people. Could only play solo on my first few games and was starting to regret the purchase. On one mission suddenly 2 randoms joined which completely changed my impression of the game. Hopefully they fix matchmaking quickly. This game has potential.

nikos

Played some missions with a friend. Game kind of sucks and feels tedious so far.

Perhaps it gets more fun as you unlock things but I can't say I'm enjoying it yet.

Wanted to give it a try before work but couldn’t connect to servers after trying a bunch of times.

Bummer, but hearing good things. Hopefully everything is sorted out by this evening.

GymWolf

Gold Member
From reeeee:

Update from a developer:

Hey everyone! Mikael here again. I want to give you an update on the issues we've experienced today. I'm happy to say that we've now improved matchmaking (🤞 ) and the most frequent crashes.

Let me explain where we are:

1. We've made a patch, and are about to start playing alongside you to check it works as intended.
2. If it's a success, we'll trigger a hotfix and get it out to the Steam community first, then roll it out to PS5 players as quickly as we can.

Thank you - seriously - for your patience. We really want you all to have a blast playing this game. Bear with us, we're almost there.

See you on the battlefield soon!
Micke

GymWolf

Gold Member
Check now.
full

begotten

Played for a few hours.

Game is very good and extremely fun when you can play and match with others.

Otherwise it's meh and a shit slog solo.

I want to play but the servers problems need to be fixed. It's really detrimental to a game like this.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So I forced checked files on steam and my issues have more or less resolved. Did a mission with 3 random. Awesome.

Anyone online?

Mobilemofo

Wanna solo this. Not arsed about multiplayer. Will wait til they have patched the shit out of it before I buy it for the ps5.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I think the answer is ‘don’t get charged’.

You have to play this much more circumspectly. Mobs are grouped together. You resupply ammo in advance, work out your strategy.

It feels a bit like Monster Hunter in approach. There’s ‘stuff’ to manage.
But you could dive and dodge in monster hunter ... :(

Played some missions with a friend. Game kind of sucks and feels tedious so far.

Perhaps it gets more fun as you unlock things but I can't say I'm enjoying it yet.
Reminds me of the first game. Just felt like a chore to play. Hoping this is better.
How is it in 2 player? Manageable or do you really need 4?
I guess I don't mind playing with my wife and randoms.

Killjoy-NL

Think I'll try playing again tomorrow, connecting keeps failing for Quickplay.

Did play some solo. Bit more challenging than I expected, gunplay feels good.

Playing on Portal (family uses tv), so seeing performance mode is 1080p/60 is perfectly fine.

Hope they fix server-issues soon. Think this game will keep me occupied for a while.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
First impressions...

1. I do NOT like calling in reinforcements. Rezzing teammates in more traditional ways (Fortnite, The Finals) provides more variety + excitment. In here, as soon as your teammate dies, you just have to run backwards and find cover. It's probably easier to design it this way though.

2. The game has put me into too many scenarios where I'm surrounded by different enemy groups. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'll learn how not to do this. The game feels better when you have one front to navigate.

3. The mechanic where you get called in is a little confusing too. They show you 1.8 seconds from above your drop pod and you can alter your drop trajectory for those 1.8 seconds but you can't make sense of what's happening that quickly. Feels like that mechanic should be more fun.

Enjoy it so far. Will be interesting to see how my opinion changes at hour 30 opposed to now.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Despite some problems this was the best 4 hours I had with my mates in co-op since forever. The game is clicking perfectly. Also props for DualSense support on PC (disable Steam Controller).

And yes, friendly fire is fun for a change. This game is full of idiotic energy and I just adore it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
3. The mechanic where you get called in is a little confusing too. They show you 1.8 seconds from above your drop pod and you can alter your drop trajectory for those 1.8 seconds but you can't make sense of what's happening that quickly. Feels like that mechanic should be more fun.

That's intended, you can drop on team mate or a monster, with deadly results (first game worked like that).

Killjoy-NL

Idk, there gameplay they should must have been on a 4090 cause this looks like a ps4 game on the ps5
Dunno, only played it through PS Portal, so maybe it's more acceptable that way.

Then again, as I said, all the footage looked mediocre as hell to me, but I was okay with that.
Gameplay looked (and is) more than great.

Turn performance mode on, disable Depth of field, and also put sharpness to max, and anti aliasing on.

Makes a big quality improvement, otherwise the game looks blurry and low res.
Thanks, gonna try that out tomorrow.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's intended, you can drop on team mate or a monster, with deadly results (first game worked like that).

It doesn't feel satisfying though. The overhead view is messy/blurry which deinventivizes you from engaging in the mechanic.

If the drop was 5 seconds and they made the overhead view easier to read I could understand it. Just feels poorly implemented imo.

[Sigma]

Just got my copy. Downloading the update now. Going to full blast tonight and all weekend(as long as the servers work lol).

Inviusx

Played for a few hours at launch. Match making was busted the entire time so only played a few missions Solo. The mechanics are solid but it's not worth playing as a solo experience at all so definitely don't purchase this if that's your intention.

If you're on the fence, Wait until these launch issues are fully resolved before jumping in, don't let these launch issues sour your first impression.

I will return to this in a few days once the patch drops and see how things are shaping up.

Last edited:

DryvBy

If you don't like the Deep Rock type games, this ain't for you. This isn't a typical shooter or anything. It's a survive and get out game.

j0hnnix

If you don't like the Deep Rock type games, this ain't for you. This isn't a typical shooter or anything. It's a survive and get out game.
Like tarkov - thats more survival drop in and get out, so not sure. never played deep rock. Im still trying to understand this game before I jump in it. I saw some streams while working so couldnt fully pay attention.

Dynasty8

Went through the tutorial, it was fun but crashed soon afterwards. The game won't even open up anymore on Steam.

tommib

Gold Member
Ok, finally stopped after 4 hours. Super fun. I was jumping in and out of parties that I had on PSN. Probably played with a lot of you guys but don’t know who’s who. VERY ADDICTIVE.

Can someone explain how missions work on the planets. At some point the game was telling I was abandoning a current mission and that got me confused.

Top Bottom