• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

XenIneX

As someone who prefers running all emulators at 4:3, is there really a high risk of burn-in/damaging the screen? And approximately how long does it normally take before (noticeable) damage is done? Are we talking years, months, or days?

People who used the Vita's web browser extensively saw the black bar on the left start burning in in less than a year.

Conduit

Banned
I saw a which games are working in "Showcase" link on HenKaku. One question : which emulators are working and how many games are working too?

Guess Who

Banned
People who used the Vita's web browser extensively saw the black bar on the left start burning in in less than a year.

It's funny because this should theoretically be impossible, since black pixels on an OLED shouldn't be lit at all. And yet, for some reason, on the Vita, they are.

can someone help me out on trying to install the gba rom?where do i get the download link? I managed to do the snes one but playing these classics on my vita is a dream come true. thanks in advance

RexNovis

Banned
It's funny because this should theoretically be impossible, since black pixels on an OLED shouldn't be lit at all. And yet, for some reason, on the Vita, they are.

It has to do with the brightness setting. Basically if you are doing something with part of the screen blacked out you need to lower the brightness way down. If you do it'll be fine. If you leave it up high though there will be burn in after heavy usage for months and months.

jayu26

It won't install on my vita (I have tried like 50 times) and my vita won't go into safe mode, so I can't rebuilt database. Damn...

Edit: okay, it finally entered rebuilt and it installed. Cool, Snes FF6 here I come...

Edit 2: Is everyone getting the auto issue on Snes emulator?

Guess Who

Banned
It has to do with the brightness setting. Basically if you are doing something with part of the screen blacked out you need to lower the brightness way down. If you do it'll be fine. If you leave it up high though there will be burn in after heavy usage for months and months.

The point is that brightness shouldn't have anything to do with it because black pixels on an OLED should be off entirely.

ss_lemonade

The point is that brightness shouldn't have anything to do with it because black pixels on an OLED should be off entirely.
I don't think I've ever owned an oled device that had completely black blacks. IIRC both my s3 and oled vita would still emit light if you viewed them powered on in the dark (and thus, see the mura effect on both)

Oublieux

I don't think I've ever owned an oled device that had completely black blacks. IIRC both my s3 and oled vita would still emit light if you viewed them powered on in the dark (and thus, see the mura effect on both)

I think he's talking about the fact that individual pixels can be turned off in an OLED screen--it should be outputting no colors (i.e. It would be black to the user).

Thats not how OLED works. Anything "Black" that is displayed on screen on an OLED means the pixels are OFF. It means those pixels are not being used. They are "fresh"

What you see when you then try and display a white image on them, is near-new pixels that have a much higher illumination than the ones that are around them.

Imagine an OLED screen with a total, full white screen, with a black box in the middle. Leaving that on 24hours a day for 6 months. Then, when you try to display a full white screen (without said black box in the center) The ghosting/burn in of the black box will be there, because the pixels around the black box have been used (they are dimmer) and the pixels around the black box are "used" and slightly "burnt out" from being used.

Displaying black on an oled does not burn into a display. It is what is around the black that burns in.

ss_lemonade

I think he's talking about the fact that individual pixels can be turned off in an OLED screen--it should be outputting no colors (i.e. It would be black to the user).
I know. Doesn't that also mean that there shouldn't be any perceivable light coming from the display when you have a fully black screen being output?

Awesome, but i need mame and fs-uae for it.

Not sure on the difficulty of porting those, but taken the speed with which the ports are happening it might be as easy as simply compiling for vita's arm processor via the toolchain and some api tweaks.

Anyways got that error a lot in browser and then in just worked. Really wish I didn't have to work today and could just work on vita home-brew. There's a version of Conway's Game Of Life on vita already? damn the internet moves way to fast. ok back to work thanks for the break gaf.

Guess Who

Banned

I have - even my old Nexus S did, my 2013 Moto X did, and my Apple Watch also does. I can put an all-black picture on my Apple Watch and display it in the dark and it is pitch-perfect black. My Vita's the only OLED I've had that has this problem.

Thats not how OLED works. Anything "Black" that is displayed on screen on an OLED means the pixels are OFF. It means those pixels are not being used. They are "fresh"

What you see when you then try and display a white image on them, is near-new pixels that have a much higher illumination than the ones that are around them.

Imagine an OLED screen with a total, full white screen, with a black box in the middle. Leaving that on 24hours a day for 6 months. Then, when you try to display a full white screen (without said black box in the center) The ghosting/burn in of the black box will be there, because the pixels around the black box have been used (they are dimmer) and the pixels around the black box are "used" and slightly "burnt out" from being used.

Displaying black on an oled does not burn into a display. It is what is around the black that burns in.

As the previous poster I quoted can attest, the Vita's OLED - for whatever reason - does not turn pixels completely off for perfectly black pixels. Maybe incorrect calibration/gamma is causing the display to think it should still be slightly lit? No idea, but an all-black screen on an OLED Vita in a dark room will slightly emit light. (You would also not see the "mura" effect people complain about on all-black screens if this wasn't the case.)

The rest of your post does make sense for OLED in general, but what people seem to be complaining about is not the rest of the display fading faster than the black bar areas, but the black bars burning in. I suppose people could just be misdiagnosing the issue, though.

I have - even my old Nexus S did, my 2013 Moto X did, and my Apple Watch also does. I can put an all-black picture on my Apple Watch and display it in the dark and it is pitch-perfect black. My Vita's the only OLED I've had that has this problem.

As the previous poster I quoted can attest, the Vita's OLED - for whatever reason - does not turn pixels completely off for perfectly black pixels. Maybe incorrect calibration/gamma is causing the display to think it should still be slightly lit? No idea, but an all-black screen on an OLED Vita in a dark room will slightly emit light. (You would also not see the "mura" effect people complain about on all-black screens if this wasn't the case.)

The rest of your post does make sense for OLED in general, but what people seem to be complaining about is not the rest of the display fading faster than the black bar areas, but the black bars burning in. I suppose people could just be misdiagnosing the issue, though.

Yeah, i totally understand the mura effect (i have an OLED vita myself), just commenting on the poster who thought that having "black" is burning into the OLED, when it is completely the opposite. It is the area "outside" black that is illuminated that is being "burnt into" the screen.

For example, neogaf. What would burn into the screen would be the backgrounds (white, grey) but what you would SEE when trying to display an all white screen would be things like the neogaf logo, and the blue bars going across the screen. Because white on OLED is caused by R/B/G pixels burning at MAXIMUM capacity. They are been HEAVILY used. Meanwhile, the blue bars and the neogaf logo do not use as many pixels to burn, so when the screen then is all white, you see the remains of logos/bars that dont get heavy pixel use

It is why, on phones with on screen navigation keys get burn in, the burn in happens where the "black" is. Any area with black or dark blue will look brighter than the areas on the screen that have been showing bright white/whiter images than darker images. It LOOKS like the black has burnt into the screen but it is actually the pixels that are getting used AROUND that black area that are burning in/dying. It just gives the impression that the black has burnt in because its the part that you can see immediately on a full, white bright screen.

ZoronMaro

The devices you're quoting aren't just OLED, they're AMOLED, the difference being AMOLED is capable of turning individual pixels off, while the other (PMOLED) can't. I always assumed Vita 1000 wasn't AMOLED because I haven't seen it called that anywhere, but maybe I'm wrong?

Also any OLED screens are going to be more prone to burn in because most organic compounds will degrade faster than the inorganic compounds used in other screens. It'll still be nothing compared to CRTs back in the day but nothing is really.

Hooray my degree finally came in handy, sorry for being off-topic.

The devices you're quoting aren't just OLED, they're AMOLED, the difference being AMOLED is capable of turning individual pixels off, while the other (PMOLED) can't. I always assumed Vita 1000 wasn't AMOLED because I haven't seen it called that anywhere, but maybe I'm wrong?

The Vita has an AMOLED screen, too. Sony just doesn't use the AMOLED name because Samsung's loose use of the term could make people confuse it with Pentile displays.

I don't know what Guess Who is talking about. What is being described is physically impossible for an OLED display of either type. He should probably double check to make sure he doesn't actually own a Vita 2000.

sorry but discussing about what kind of screen has Vita is not a little bit OT ???

the discussion is interesting so someone could make a topic for it, what do you think ?

ss_lemonade

I don't know what Guess Who is talking about. What is being described is physically impossible for an OLED display of either type. He should probably double check to make sure he doesn't actually own a Vita 2000.
Have you ever used your vita in the dark, like at night? Try viewing a pure black image on an oled vita. It's easy to see the whole screen still throwing out light, like there's a backlight or something (which is odd since I thought oleds operate without a backlight). It's why one easily sees the mura stuff on dark backgrounds.

I agree though that all this oled discussion is out of topic now. Any new retroarch development?

So what you're saying is that playing games at 4:3 (with black borders) is no more risky than playing at any other resolution when it comes to burn-in?

Sorry to keep things a bit off-topic, but this is a very important subject and it directly involves the emulators we'll be using via this hack.

If you're worried about bans, someone's made a version of molecularShell that's disguised as another title.

zEeNIJA.png

Someone on Reddit is working on a port to play your PSP backups.

Here's a wikihow article on how to use VSH on your CFW PSP to rip your UMDs to a digital ISO, so you can get ready.

So what you're saying is that playing games at 4:3 (with black borders) is no more risky than playing at any other resolution when it comes to burn-in?

Sorry to keep things a bit off-topic, but this is a very important subject and it directly involves the emulators we'll be using via this hack.

Any resolution you play in will result in burn in. If you have either:

1.Black surrounded by white whites/bright colours, the brights will burn in, and the area where the black was when you were playing game will be "brighter" than the area that you were playing in.

2.Logos in general, these burn in, because they are usually made up of all 3 colours burning (R/B/G)

As a sidenote, if you use less brightness, this will cause the pixels to burn at less intensity, and burn in will take longer to occur

ALL oled (amoled and oled) screens will have burn in. The easiest way to check where, is to put an entire white screen (purewhite) and you will see where. PSVITA is harder to tell, because most people dont use the browser (no static icons to remain in place for too long) and games arent played for long playthroughs with either bright white images or logos for longer than a few hours at a time.

Phones on the other hand...

EDIT
180923d1433983472t-screen-burn-img_0188.jpg

This is what you will see if you smash your vita screen with a bright game playing in 4.3: That space on the side, with the brighter white area, that is where a black bar (no pixels illuminated) was most of the time. You will see the black look similar on the vita, with a much wider space of course. This was just a small, black area for on screen navigation controls on a phone.

In saying that, Vita games will RARELY show/need to show a full white screen that will show the burn in, as games usually have a lot of colours and information on screen.When you go to the VITA browser, since webpages have full white backgrounds usually, you will notice it then.

n0razi

You are thinking backwards... whats happening is that the bottom 90% is being lit all the time compared to the black bars up top. So the bottom 90% is burning in slowly and you can see it compared to the top when viewing a full screen white image (the bottom 90% will be dimmer since its burned in more compared to the top)

The reason for this is that on the OG Vita, the pixels never go full OFF like you would normally expect on an OLED screen. It is always running at a minimum (say 1% intensity for R+G+B) because Gray-White response is usually much faster compared to a complete Black-White response. Think of the pixels as tiny strobe lights that you flick on and off, it takes a bit of time for the strobe to go completely dim. To increase motion quality, the Vita has all the pixels fired up. IIRC, all OLED panels do this but to varying degrees. The OLED screen on a modern Galaxy S7 phone would be so imperceptibly dim at "Off" that it would look like its completely off, compared to the ancient OLED panel used in the OG Vita.

//DEVIL//

My vita tv has an old firmware that i used the email hack to get all my vita games to be played on vita tv. Is there something like this on this hack ?

gbland

I just used the same files from the old email hack.

Go to this site: http://wololo.net/talk/pstv_whitelist/

Enter an email address you can check, and you'll receive 3 emails. They may end up in your spam/junk folder as they did for me. These are meant for the old email based whitelist hack so ignore the instructions. Then check your email for the 3 messages with the following subjects:

Activate PSTV Writer - You can safely delete this, it doesn't work anymore.
ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat‏ - This email has an attachment named #0. Save it and rename it to list_launch_vita.dat
ur0:game/launch/list_launch_emu.dat‏ - It too will have an attachment named #0. Save it and rename it to list_launch_emu.dat‏

You now have the files you need. You can use these to replace the ones on the PSTV in the ur0:game/launch folder. Once done, this should remove the whitelist block on Vita, PSP, and PS1 games. I've read that some Vita games have additional checks, but I haven't run into one of those yet.

you're the best thanks :D

LewieP

If pillarboxing risks screenburn, surely emulators can just cycle through different borders rather than just leaving them black?

Joey Ravn

Banned

ZoronMaro

If pillarboxing risks screenburn, surely emulators can just cycle through different borders rather than just leaving them black?

That would help the problem, but I don't think I've ever seen that on an emulator, besides as people said already the screenburn is kind of overstated since you'll only really notice it on a pure white screen.

That said I was thinking of buying a vita 2000 for the extra battery when emulating, but I guess this is a good reason too.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Ah. I never know the difference, I only know one is slightly better suited to running PSP stuff. I think.

ARK is a custom loader that is very focused on running games.

TN-V is basically the PSP menu, everything included (you actually need to have a copy of the PSP firmware to use it!)

gg_Quelques-caracteristiques-du-custom-firmware-TN-V-pour-PSvita-8aAtCKG38W.jpg

I personally prefer ARK, since it's much more straightforwar than TN-V, although the latter has its advantages... especially in the looks department.

Conduit

Banned
Repost :

I saw a which games are working in "Showcase" link on HenKaku. One question : which emulators are working and how many games are working too?

Anybody?

c0de

Repost :

Anybody?

The emulators are posted on their site and as they are ports from emulators already out, expect the compatibility they have four other systems.

Chesskid1

Banned
Repost :

Anybody?

Genesis from retroarch works best from what people have said. it hasn't even been officially released but a dev shared it, i don't really care about genesis though. https://twitter.com/frangar/status/759453895080960000

next is the GBA emulator and the SNES emulator (available in the showcase). they both have slowdown and garbled sound. for the GBA one, try to grab the nightly build as it's more optimized.

haven't heard much about the other emulators.

people are really anticipating the full release of retroarch since it will probably be better than current emulators.

people probably ignored your question because usually it's better to experiment with emulators by yourself and see how games you want to play run.

So wait...installing this means I can't ever update, which means I can never access the Vita store? I kinda want to run some PC Engine games on this, but not that badly.

Scavenger

So wait...installing this means I can't ever update, which means I can never access the Vita store? I kinda want to run some PC Engine games on this, but not that badly.
If you have a PS3, you can download any Vita game on the PS3 and transfer it to the Vita through usb/wifi. Once a new Vita firmware is released, you need to connect the Vita to qcma first, disconnect, and then connect the Vita to the PS3.

Joey Ravn

Banned

That's just how things go. It's a game of cat and mouse: someone finds and exploit, Sony patches it, and so on and so forth. That's just how the scene works. Until someone finds a way to make this permanent, of course. A CFW would be able to solve this issue, but until then, it's take it or leave it.

So can we run psp/ps1 now?

Games? Sure. On the PSN Store there are plenty of PSP and PSX games.

If you mean ISOs, then no. Not yet. When it's released, you will know. And this has nothing to do with PS1 games...

Edit:

A simple PSASBR mod by Major Tom. First mod of a Vita game!

Yes, it's that. But the game is actually being modified.

Top Bottom