• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

sensui-tomo

So wait...installing this means I can't ever update, which means I can never access the Vita store? I kinda want to run some PC Engine games on this, but not that badly.
Well you can update, but you loose all the homebrew . I don't think you ever loose the ability to update.

Shaneus

ARK is a custom loader that is very focused on running games.

TN-V is basically the PSP menu, everything included (you actually need to have a copy of the PSP firmware to use it!)

gg_Quelques-caracteristiques-du-custom-firmware-TN-V-pour-PSvita-8aAtCKG38W.jpg

I personally prefer ARK, since it's much more straightforwar than TN-V, although the latter has its advantages... especially in the looks department.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Knew you had to provide the whole PSP update but didn't know the rest.

Edit: I wonder if this will open up any more opportunities for adding storage to the device? I doubt any kind of SD card mod is even remotely possible, but perhaps loading games via WiFi or somehow recognising a USB storage device will work. Crossing fingers!

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is something that flew under my radar a few hours ago, with all the hype regarding modding Rick Astley into games.

Major Tom has confirmed that his method for modding games can be used to create fan translations:

@MajorTomVita you think translations are possible??
@FirionHope Yes :D

This is something that flew under my radar a few hours ago, with all the hype regarding modding Rick Astley into games.

Major Tom has confirmed that his method for modding games can be used to create fan translations:

Wow that would be pretty amazing.

Man, I really hope Sony just lets this one ride out. If they notice a significant drop in digital sales, definitely address it. But for now, let us have fun with it. Obviously people who have their Vita, love it and I'm sure most will continue to do so.

Tailzo

Wow, nice :)

Wow that would be pretty amazing.

Man, I really hope Sony just lets this one ride out. If they notice a significant drop in digital sales, definitely address it. But for now, let us have fun with it. Obviously people who have their Vita, love it and I'm sure most will continue to do so.

They'll never do that sadly. Even if they wanted; how can they defend such a thing to third parties?

Fan translator here. My interest is piqued.
What Vita japan-only games would you be interested in? :)

lame gag

Banned
This is the portable console that I wanted to play emulators on. That DPad is awesome. I'll be picking one up in Japan hopefully in a few months but looks like I might have to get one earlier for the flight :p

Sohaim

All I want: Crisis Core in my Vita! :D

you mean Crisis Core and Valkyrie Profile, that was one of the reason i got a Vita, only to forever wait on SE to put the games on the store and it never happened.... anyway how much progress on the native PSP emulator?

Athreous

you mean Crisis Core and Valkyrie Profile, that was one of the reason i got a Vita, only to forever wait on SE to put the games on the store and it never happened.... anyway how much progress on the native PSP emulator?

Yeah, VP too!

This may be a really dumb question, but I haven't done much of any CFW work since the early PSP days. What are the chances of these exploits siphoning off SEN account usernames/passwords? Is there a reasonable risk of this occurring?

Joey Ravn

Banned
This may be a really dumb question, but I haven't done much of any CFW work since the early PSP days. What are the chances of these exploits siphoning off SEN account usernames/passwords? Is there a reasonable risk of this occurring?

Given the fact that Yifan Lu, one of the main developers behind this exploit, is encouraging people to unlink their PSN accounts if they fear bans... I'd say chances are very, very low of something like what you're describing happening.

I honestly have never seen an exploit do something like that, and I've been following different scenes for years. Is there any reason for your fears?

Aeana

That game mod video is a rickroll, why is everyone freaking out about it?
EDIT: Oh, I guess if the video is actually playing on the Vita then it's still a mod showcase.

Joey Ravn

Banned
That game mod video is a rickroll, why is everyone freaking out about it?
EDIT: Oh, I guess if the video is actually playing on the Vita then it's still a mod showcase.

because he replaced the opening video with a different video. It just happened to be rickroll.

Unless it's fake.

No, it's not fake. Major Tom was having a little fun, since it's just a proof-of-concept video, but he's actually showing that he has cracked the method to decrypt and, eh, "recrypt" Vita games. He replaced the intro video of the game with the Rickroll.

CATSFC-Libretro released for HENkaku.

aka the SNES core for RetroArch :)

This is really cool, but I'm hoping this doesn't become like the N3DS where Libretro cores hit a "good enough" point and development reaches a standstill. These things take time of course, but Libretro cores are about the only emulation option with respect to the N3DS and there haven't been any particularly great strides towards accuracy or speed in a while. It was just sort of disappointing to see work die off so quickly on that front.

Has anyone tried one of the recent mGBA builds? I won't have a chance to for a little and I'm curious if it's running better now. I noticed that their recent nightly has it in the proper .vpk format.

Wow, nice :)

They'll never do that sadly. Even if they wanted; how can they defend such a thing to third parties?

Honestly not sure I guess. Maybe it would be better for them to try to have anti-pirate software on Vita games to prevent people from stealing them and not discouraging developers to release games on the system. Keep the memory card prices high should the scene mature and figure how to pirate Vita titles; it'll discourage them from thinking they can fill their memory cards with dozens of 3.9gb games. Buying high priced cards would just be too expensive an investment.

Fan translations interest me greatly, too. Being able to get subs for games I wouldn't have bought otherwise because of the language barrier. I love my Kamen Rider Genesis game, but it was become 100% more enjoyable if I could understand the story. Lord knows that's never going to be localized.

As someone who has a Vita-TV sitting in a box unopened this sounds like what I want.
Reading through the updated OP and skimming through the thread let me get this straight:

Pros:
Vita carts still work
Vita/PSX/PSP PSN downloads can be transferred through PS3???
homebrew
emulators
fantranslations/hacks
Whitelisting for PSTV
Vita backup not implemented (likely later)
PSP backup not implemented (likely later)

Cons:
online re-install upon boot (likely removed/fixed later)
PSN access (will likely be) removed

I don't care about playing online. I'm looking to hook this up and pick up the gems as I never had a psp. Am I wrong, am I missing something?
Thanks

As someone who has a Vita-TV sitting in a box unopened this sounds like what I want.
Reading through the updated OP and skimming through the thread let me get this straight:

Pros:
Vita carts still work
Vita/PSX/PSP PSN downloads can be transferred through PS3???
homebrew
emulators
fantranslations/hacks
Whitelisting for PSTV
Vita backup not implemented (likely later)
PSP backup not implemented (likely later)

Cons:
online re-install upon boot (likely removed/fixed later)
PSN access (will likely be) removed

I don't care about playing online. I'm looking to hook this up and pick up the gems as I never had a psp. Am I wrong, am I missing something?
Thanks

You can also hold content from multiple accounts on the same card again.

Jesus Christ, I wish I had a PS TV. What are the odds of this getting patched in the next two weeks?

Decent, likely will skyrocket once people figure out how to run backups of Vita games, or even PSP/PS1. PSTV's won't be shipped with that update for a long while though (if ever - aren't they out of production?) and you can go into Settings->System and turn off automatic update downloading.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can also hold content from multiple accounts on the same card again.

Except not use them at the same time on ONE account. So, pointless. Once someone fixes that, then the system will be good. No point to the "region free" if you can't make that "account region free."

So with this thing installed on a PS TV, does it mean I could play FFTactics War of the Lions with the slowdown fix installed, on my TV?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I have henkaku installed. What else should I install so I'll be ready when the floodgates to open? I've heard ark, whitelisting, etc.

Aeana

So with this thing installed on a PS TV, does it mean I could play FFTactics War of the Lions with the slowdown fix installed, on my TV?
Not yet, but it sounds like you'll be able to shortly. IIRC the slowdown fix is a CFW plugin so you'll need actual PSP CFW working first.

I have henkaku installed. What else should I install so I'll be ready when the floodgates to open? I've heard ark, whitelisting, etc.

Do you have a PSTV? If so, look at the guide linked towards the end of the OP for whitelisting. HENkaku (the Molecule bubble) is the only thing that needs to be installed - everything else (emulators, etc) will install through that.

Not yet, but it sounds like you'll be able to shortly. IIRC the slowdown fix is a CFW plugin so you'll need actual PSP CFW working first.

There's a PPF patch for it as well that can be applied to an ISO. From what little I've tested it works as well as the CFW plugin.

bigkurz

Banned
Relatively new to this scene (Just installed molecular shell this morning).

Quick question:

Is it worth using Henkaku to get VHBL installed, or should I just be patient with Vita native stuff? I'm not really in a rush to get that added capability...just want peoples opinions to ensure the other stuff will likely come to Henkaku

LewieP

Relatively new to this scene (Just installed molecular shell this morning).

Quick question:

Is it worth using Henkaku to get VHBL installed, or should I just be patient with Vita native stuff? I'm not really in a rush to get that added capability...just want peoples opinions to ensure the other stuff will likely come to Henkaku

It's a nice option to have, and it's not going anywhere, but yeah I think the scene is moving pretty fast right now. I'd not be surprised if most PSP native homebrew has a superior Vita native alternative in the next 6-12 months, if not earlier.

bigkurz

Banned
It's a nice option to have, and it's not going anywhere, but yeah I think the scene is moving pretty fast right now. I'd not be surprised if most PSP native homebrew has a superior Vita native alternative in the next 6-12 months, if not earlier.

yea i guess the big thing to do now would be to download psp demos on my backup Vita since I wont be able to do that once theres an update

Top Bottom