• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

I have a question

I have this installed, but when I was investigating, apparently everything is installed through henkaku, do I still need FileZilla to install emulators?

I have a question

I have this installed, but when I was investigating, apparently everything is installed through henkaku, do I still need FileZilla to install emulators?

You need FIlezilla to get the emulators onto your Vita, after that, you install through molecular shell.

DedValve

Banned
So we have (perfect?) PSP emulation, high quality SNES emulation and HQ NES emulation?

Can this thing play any sega systems? If so this will be the greatest portable fighting game machine now that I got Skullgirls and Marvel for my modern fighting fix.

Athreous

Not true, you can transfer through the regular Windows Explorer (do the same steps you would to use FileZilla, but then just type the FTP address it shows on the Vita on the Explorer).

omg >_<, when i said that you need filezilla, it means that you still need to use any kind of ftp way to xfer files >_<

So we have (perfect?) PSP emulation, high quality SNES emulation and HQ NES emulation?

Can this thing play any sega systems? If so this will be the greatest portable fighting game machine now that I got Skullgirls and Marvel for my modern fighting fix.
The Retroarch Genesis emulator is very good. The sound becomes garbled every once in a while, but straightens itself back out after just a few seconds. Beyond that, the performance is damned near perfect. I haven't experienced even a single slowdown yet.

klov

Neo Member
SMA+W isn't working right for me...once I get to the world map in SMB3 I can't move, but sound keeps playing and the directions were working earlier. Anyone else with the same issue?

- same thing for SMB1

Same issue here. Controls just vanish after the loading/select screens.

DedValve

Banned
The Retroarch Genesis emulator is very good. The sound becomes garbled every once in a while, but straightens itself back out after just a few seconds. Beyond that, the performance is damned near perfect. I haven't experienced even a single slowdown yet.

I'll take it! Does that also include the Sega CD?

Any other system emulators that are good for this thing? I totally forgot about PSX emulation which is weird since I own a ton of PSX original games on it. Wonder if N64 is also playable, Mario Party 1-3 would be such a blast especially with Vitas godly sleep mode.

I'll take it! Does that also include the Sega CD?

Any other system emulators that are good for this thing? I totally forgot about PSX emulation which is weird since I own a ton of PSX original games on it. Wonder if N64 is also playable, Mario Party 1-3 would be such a blast especially with Vitas godly sleep mode.

Nothing yet. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a way to natively play PSX games using the Vita's emulator at some point in the future, N64 would take some work and optimization to get working well. Really hoping it does though.

Skyzard

Banned
All stars works perfectly for me with the other Snes emulator btw.

Thanks, I noticed a few dips in framerate later on with that one but I don't remember if that's part of the game. I still have it installed for now though just deleted my save file for it >.<

Pretty pleased with the other emulator though. Great to have it working mostly well this early on. Everything else I've tested it with seems to work very well so far.

Chesskid1

Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4vmkft/lets_talk_about_mgba/

cool little chat where the dev of mgba shows up if you want to hear a bit about the technical side of the vita.

did you know mGBA is being developed by a single guy for Linux, Mac, PC, Wii, 3ds and Vita?? (what a hero)

he also says here he's kind of running out of ways to get big gains for the gba emulator vita, but he is continuing to work on it.

endrift said:
It should be worth noting that the sound issues aren't a bug, per se, so much as a side effect of the game running slowly. mGBA doesn't do any sort of audio stretching, so what you're hearing is the sound coming out as fast as it can, and gaps when it can't keep up, which leads to the awful mess you hear. Trust me, I know it's horrible, but there isn't a real fix apart from speeding up the emulator. When games run full speed, the audio is clean, but very few games run at precisely full speed, apart from GB games. (The frame limiting bug was fixed a few days ago. If you're still getting it, download a new dev build.)

I've been working on making mGBA faster recently. Through two minor fixes recently, it's gotten about 3% faster, but that's nowhere near the performance gain that will be needed to bring mGBA to be full speed on the Vita, and I've run out of places I can get big gains. I've also started work on a dynamic recompiler; however, I seem to be utter trash at optimizing a dynarec so it's currently about 5-20% slower, depending on which game you use. That said, I'll keep developing it and hopefully it'll be up to snuff eventually. Also the dynarec only works on Linux at the moment.

The real reason it's so great on the Wii is that the Wii has juuuust enough horsepower to run basically all games at full speed. But it's also a 729MHz PowerPC core, compared to a 444MHz ARMv7 core. I don't know how the IPC stacks up against these chips, but needless to say, the Wii is a much faster processor overall.

Weird, gba on psp and even my old Dingoo is fine..

Totally different emulator. PSP and Dingoo use gpSP, an emulator built more for speed than accuracy. Its quick emulation introduces a good amount of bugs into games - some more damning than others. mGBA is far more focused on accurate emulation and requires a decent CPU clock speed.

A gpSP port will probably be making its way to the Vita in due time.

Aeana

Weird, gba on psp and even my old Dingoo is fine..

mGBA is like the BSNES/Higan of GBA emulation. It's accuracy-focused and so it's slower. With that said gpSP was written by a guy who is kind of a wizard at optimization (same guy who made DraStic for Android). But even it couldn't run all games at full speed on PSP. FF5a for instance doesn't run full speed.

I wouldnt mind just having emulators focused on a balance of speed and compatibility. Accuracy isnt overly important to me as the games just being playable

Accurate sound however...

I will keep watching this page, waiting for all these emulators to improve and new ones added. I've been playing Chrono Trigger and it's been so amazing. Guess I should download the Retroarch SNES emulator since I'm reading such good things about it.

Also, I wish Major Tom would have put the SSBM intro video instead of the rickroll xD

I've been playing Chrono Trigger and it's been so amazing. Guess I should download the Retroarch SNES emulator since I'm reading such good things about it.

Yeah for sure. Huge improvement over the Snes9x one! Thus far it's been even better than the Retroarch Genesis emulator for me. Whereas that one has audio issues that pop up every once in a while, the Retroarch SNES emulator has been perfect all throughout. The only game that's given me problems is DOOM, which isn't really unexpected since it's so advanced/complex!

Man, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is so good on the Vita. Plays smoother here than on the system.

Also enjoying Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension. Life is good.

I wouldnt mind just having emulators focused on a balance of speed and compatibility. Accuracy isnt overly important to me as the games just being playable

Accurate sound however...

I mean, there really is only so much you can do about it... If you make it as fast as possible while throwing out every sense of accuracy, you'll start having a lot of games people want to play not working... Where do you draw the line? Should these emulators only support the top 10 most played games on the system?

Are there any drawbacks to use VHBL that I'm not noticing? Im really happy with it. Everything runs as well as I could expect it to.
Would having native Vita emulators make these games better, more accurate of have better features, is it going to be more or less the same?

Don't get me wrong, I'll switch over the day we get native ones just so I can have separate bubbles, but I'm just curious.

zewone

Are there any drawbacks to use VHBL that I'm not noticing? Im really happy with it. Everything runs as well as I could expect it to.
Would having native Vita emulators make these games better, more accurate of have better features, is it going to be more or less the same?

Don't get me wrong, I'll switch over the day we get native ones just so I can have separate bubbles, but I'm just curious.

The potential is there for them to run better since the Vita is more advanced than the PSP specs (which VHBL is using).

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yikes. /u/battleofthetoads, who was porting the Prometheus Loader to HENkaku, has deleted his posts on Reddit... Hopefully that means he's doing some clean up and not that he has abandoned the project!

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Do the new RetroArch genesis and snes builds support (SRAM) saving?

Joey Ravn

Banned
should we never update the PSP(3.60) now? or doesnt matter if we update?

It depends on what you have.

If you want ePSP ISOS/homebrew and PSX ISOs (although I can't say they work too well) and you have a Vita with OFW 3.55 or lower, stay there.

If you want native and ePSP homebrew, but no PSP ISOs (so far), update.

If you want to wait and see, download the update to your PC and wait until new applications come out or Sony patches the exploit.

Either way, it's probably going to get patched in the next firmware. So 3.60 should be the max for upgrading.

Can someone smart tell me if it's reasonable to hope that permanent, always-on CFW comes out of this? Or is this exploit not at all related to that sort of thing.

Shaneus

Yikes. /u/battleofthetoads, who was porting the Prometheus Loader to HENkaku, has deleted his posts on Reddit... Hopefully that means he's doing some clean up and not that he has abandoned the project!
The impression I got from his work was that what he's doing is pretty rudimentary, at least as far as development of things and knowing how systems/code works for the Vita. Meaning I'm sure almost anyone within the community could pick up where he left off without too much hassle.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can someone smart tell me if it's reasonable to hope that permanent, always-on CFW comes out of this? Or is this exploit not at all related to that sort of thing.
I'm not sure that anyone here knows that yet, but my guess would be that it wont happen anytime soon at least. I dont know how the hack works, but i'm basing it on thinking that this temporary solution was used because that is the "only" thing that they could achieve. YifanLu also praised the Vita security on Twitter after a guy asked him what he thought of the security after the HENkaku hack was done:

https://twitter.com/gabaas1/status/759747765714898944 (scroll down and read the comments)

Shaneus

I'm not sure that anyone here knows that yet, but my guess would be that it wont happen anytime soon at least. I dont know how the hack works, but i'm basing it on thinking that this temporary solution was used because that is the "only" thing that they could achieve. YifanLu also praised the Vita security on Twitter after a guy asked him what he thought of the security after the HENkaku hack was done:

https://twitter.com/gabaas1/status/759747765714898944 (scroll down and read the comments)
From that post, it sounds like HENKaku has given Mr. Gas access to be able to decrypt saves, which will allow them to (perhaps strenuously) look for exploits. Not sure how any access that could provide would be better than what HENKaku does, though... but I guess there is.

Top Bottom