• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Joey Ravn

Banned
taiHENkaku released.

taiHENkaku is everything you know and love about HENkaku and more. Just like before, you can run your favorite homebrew games, emulators, and tweaks. However, this update brings the addition of plugins as well. Based off of technology similar to Cydia Substrate (specifically thanks to substitute), taiHEN allows developers to write hooks and patches to remix games, system applications, and the kernel.

Joey Ravn

Banned
This sounds like a great news.
Will this allow to make something to play 3.61+ games?

This could lead to a full-fledged CFW. So, in time, we could be able to update to the latest version and retain CFW capabilities if developers work on it, like on 3DS or PSP.

Also:

TheFloW said:
About adrenaline, it will be available in 1-2 months. I will be busy exploring the new possibilities with taiHEN

On his Twitter account.

c0de

Yeah, but the performance would be shit compared to the native one.

Well, "native" as native can be. I still don't believe the rumor that there is a mips processor in the Vita so Sony also "just" emulates PSP on the Vita.
Either way, with Henkaku it should be possible to

a) find the mips processor if there is any and
b) find the emulator Sony has written for PSP on Vita.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, "native" as native can be. I still don't believe the rumor that there is a mips processor in the Vita so Sony also "just" emulates PSP on the Vita.
Either way, with Henkaku it should be possible to

a) find the mips processor if there is any and
b) find the emulator Sony has written for PSP on Vita.

Isn't this what TheFloW has done with Adrenaline, though? Take control of the ePSP emulator from the Vita side.

Shaneus

Damn I'm happy I stuck to 3.60. Stuff moving so fast.
I really should *upgrade* to 3.60. Just need to work out how I can do it at my work computer.

And not look like I'm not working.

Edit: Random question: If I update my Vita, do I lose all the stuff I have in TN-V, such as UMD dumps and saves?

Edit #2: lol, the number of downloads for these updates from Softpedia is a bit telling:
8YDVJPjl.png

I really should *upgrade* to 3.60. Just need to work out how I can do it at my work computer.

And not look like I'm not working.

Edit: Random question: If I update my Vita, do I lose all the stuff I have in TN-V, such as UMD dumps and saves?

Edit #2: lol, the number of downloads for these updates from Softpedia is a bit telling:
8YDVJPjl.png

I don't think you lose the files but they will be unusable

Bowl0l

Is there an explanation why it has to be 3.60?
My Vita fw is an even earlier firmware.
Is there alternative without updating it?

Shaneus

The loophole has only been created for 3.60. For older versions, there are other exploits that offer varying/less features.
You can still update to 3.60 even though the latest is 3.63, there's just a specific way to do it (NOT via auto-updating).

Joey Ravn

Banned

Now that HENkaku has gone open source, people could potentially port it to earlier versions of the firmware (not to higher versions, though, since the exploit was patched). But there's very little reason to stay on a lower firmware nowadays. Even if you use an ePSP exploit, Adrenaline will be released within the next two months. I'd suggest you manually update to 3.60 and start using HENkaku.

pirata

Got Henkaku up and running this weekend! Quite a bit easier than I expected. Also, I see that we'll be losing access to PSN pretty soon...any non-physical games I should look into getting while I can? I have Spelunky, Severed, Rogue Galaxy, Frobisher Says, Sound Shapes, and Persona 3 Portable. Also, are the chances good of PSP and N64 emulator support being added in the future? Perhaps even later consoles? Also, is PSN spoofing done for good?

if I wanted to update my Vita and get rid of all my emulators and whatnot, does updating automatically delete everything i installed or do I go in and delete stuff using my computer?
I don't want stuff to get "stuck" in there taking up space.

Shaneus

Updated to 3.60 because the potential PSN blockout scared the shit out of me. So no extra PSP games, but at least I can finally play Dracula X Chronicles.

Now I just have to work all this VPK shit out. Any idea if there's an easy way to transfer them via USB rather than FTP?

if I wanted to update my Vita and get rid of all my emulators and whatnot, does updating automatically delete everything i installed or do I go in and delete stuff using my computer?
I don't want stuff to get "stuck" in there taking up space.
I just did this and I think there is stuff that's "stuck", but I'm pretty sure it could be moved around with the file manager included with HENKaku (Vitashell? I'm so far behind).

I figured this would be as good of place as anywhere to ask—If I am running 3.63 is it even possible for me to install the unofficial english patch for phantasy star nova? I'm guessing not but I figured I'd ask anyway

Did you import a new one, or did you buy a preowned one?

Also, PSTV's are great. Really cheap too.
It's a used "new" 1000 from ebay. Seller said it came back from repairs and afterwards he never used it and I see no issues so far with it. When I turned it on it had the registration thing that all Vitas do when they are turned on for the first time. After that I checked the settings and it was on 3.61. I have a PSTV though but I heard it's more difficult for that one. Still not sure how to begin on it.

Speaking of 64 GB memory cards, there was someone close by selling their 64 GB memory card for 60 dollars. I bought it. I'm guessing that was a good deal hopefully?

Top Bottom