• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Oh man...this means I can download the English translation of Type 0..

Life is sweet.

Question. Probably going to be picking up a 64gb card today. What is the easiest way to carry all my stuff over to a new card?

Also, I made the mistake of using a large game for Adrenaline because I was having issues with other titles. If I find a smaller game, can I just switch it out in the config.txt? Or I have to redo the whole process. Also, does that disturb anything I've done already? (Saves, downloads, etc)

Thanks in advance.

SURGEdude

Oh man...this means I can download the English translation of Type 0..

Life is sweet.

Question. Probably going to be picking up a 64gb card today. What is the easiest way to carry all my stuff over to a new card?

Also, I made the mistake of using a large game for Adrenaline because I was having issues with other titles. If I find a smaller game, can I just switch it out in the config.txt? Or I have to redo the whole process. Also, does that disturb anything I've done already? (Saves, downloads, etc)

Thanks in advance.

QCMA over USB seems like the way to go.

As far as swapping the game you can just use the config.txt. Though the original game will still work as well, so if you want that space back I'd delete it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

No compatibility issues? Figure they should work fine since the Vita is faster but I don't know how much the hardware is throttled in PSP mode. Compressed my games to save space, haven't tried any of them yet though. Hopefully someday we do get external HDD support (PSTV) then space won't be so valuable.

SURGEdude

No compatibility issues? Figure they should work fine since the Vita is faster but I don't know how much the hardware is throttled in PSP mode. Compressed my games to save space, haven't tried any of them yet though. Hopefully someday we do get external HDD support (PSTV) then space won't be so valuable.

I can't speak to compatibility beyond the titles I've tried which have worked well. As far as speed, the same overclocking options that you have on the real hardware are offered.

I tried Outrun and I felt slower than PSP, but PSP is overclocked at 333Mhz, so probably what I see on PSTV is what I see on PSP with normal clock.

I hope someday we can get 444Mhz, but as for now I'm ok with it : big screen and no worries for battery

I also realized I bought a lot of PSP game this year, PhS2 and PhS2+, Bleach Soul Carnival, All Kamen Raider Generations 2, Qixx ++, Great Battle Full Blast and Killzone, should try some of them (except for Qixx++ which is perfect for a portable system)

SURGEdude

I tried Outrun and I felt slower than PSP, but PSP is overclocked at 333Mhz, so probably what I see on PSTV is what I see on PSP with normal clock.

I hope someday we can get 444Mhz, but as for now I'm ok with it : big screen and no worries for battery

You can change the clockspeed by hitting select on the xmb.

vlaktron

Neo Member
Hey guys, kinda off-topic among the Adrenaline talk but I have trouble transferring a specific game using the PS3/QCMA trick.

Yesterday I bought Sword of Mana and Tomba 2 (both PS1) on PSN. When I tried to transfer them using QCMA+PS3, Sword of Mana worked just fine but Tomba 2 wouldn't show up in the transfer list on the Vita. Any idea what could be wrong?

I've had this problem in the past as well. If you're on 3.60 with Henkaku then you should be able to download directly from the store on the vita.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I've had this problem in the past as well. If you're on 3.60 with Henkaku then you should be able to download directly from the store on the vita.

Hmm, thanks. Wanted to postpone installing it until I had more free time, but I figure I should do it before the store is permanently locked on 3.60...

By the way, any progress / hope of bypassing the firmware requirements of new games? Adrenaline looks incredible, but I'm not sure I want to have to choose between it and being able to play late Vita games like Stein;Gate Zero and Danganronpa 3...

So this also works exactly the same on PSTV right? If so gonna install on both of mine!

I've got two that haven't been updated in forever. This is the best option right?

Redhood

how are you taking screenshots on vita? when I press ps and start i get the gray screen and that is what gets taken screenshot of.

SURGEdude

So this also works exactly the same on PSTV right? If so gonna install on both of mine!

I've got two that haven't been updated in forever. This is the best option right?

If you need to manually upgrade the firmware to 3.60 then the process is slightly different. But once the firmware is 3.60 it's identical.

Codiox

I'm more partial to this design :)

Cxi3lV_XUAEV1zc.jpg:large

You have to manually move the files using an FTP client, though. I don't know how to make the Live Area read off the XML to have the icon set to the right and the text show up either. I get the standard, centered icon, but I'm sure I'll be able to fix it and it will look COOL

i cant get bubblestudio to work. the icon is always blank :/ but the name is changed

i cant get bubblestudio to work. the icon is always blank :/ but the name is changed

I've also found bubble studio is somewhat hit-or-miss. Not sure why. It might be related to folders, though. Gonna try fucking with this today and seeing if I can skin my bubble.

Bittercup

When you make changes with Bubble Studio it should give you download options for the app.db and a save file. The save file contains the images for the new bubble.
It's a folder named bubblestudio (and inside folders for the games that have been changed) and I copied it over with VitaShell into /ux0:/pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA/ After restarting the Vita the icon worked correctly.

Lgndryhr

So jealous. Ignored the Vita for a long time. Finally got interested in one earlier this year. Hoped perhaps a price drop would happen. It did for a short term bit and dropped to $60 at Target. Could never find one as soon as any kind of price drop happened in stores. I am cautious about buying one on eBay.

SURGEdude

So jealous. Ignored the Vita for a long time. Finally got interested in one earlier this year. Hoped perhaps a price drop would happen. It did for a short term bit and dropped to $60 at Target. Could never find one as soon as any kind of price drop happened in stores. I am cautious about buying one on eBay.

If portable isn't important to you get a PSTV. If it's new you can be assured it's got a low enough firmware to hack.

SURGEdude

I'd rather have portable honestly. I don't spend a lot of time in front of a TV as is.

Makes sense. I've yet to see or hear of a Vita new in box outside of japan that didn't have a lower firmware version. If you buy it on eBay and it's used ask the seller to tell you what version it's running.

When you make changes with Bubble Studio it should give you download options for the app.db and a save file. The save file contains the images for the new bubble.
It's a folder named bubblestudio (and inside folders for the games that have been changed) and I copied it over with VitaShell into /ux0:/pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA/ After restarting the Vita the icon worked correctly.

Hm. well renaming worked, but the bubble is white and the live area is similarly textureless.
Got it. used QCMA to transfer.

SURGEdude

Found a game that gives me serious issues on the PSPemu. Tried about a dozen and the only one I've had trouble with is Prince of Persia: Rival Swords. It gives looping cutscenes and some weird visual corruption as well. Playable but annoying. Tried to rip it a couple times so I don't think the issue is with the file.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Oh shit, it DOES work with 6.61!

Uh. That's the PSP firmware it uses, 6.61. Don't get it confused with the Vita firmware, 3.61.

Found a game that gives me serious issues on the PSPemu. Tried about a dozen and the only one I've had trouble with is Prince of Persia: Rival Swords. It gives looping cutscenes and some weird visual corruption as well. Playable but annoying. Tried to rip it a couple times so I don't think the issue is with the file.

There are few games not working at the moment. Luckily it's just a handful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/5dlqsx/lets_start_the_adrenaline_compatibility_list/

Jeanne D'Arc is the one that hurts the most :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow, awesome!
Just a probably dumb question, are 3d psp games rendered at native 544p or just upscaled from 272p?

alienator

Woa. a dream came true..

Playing Ultimate ghost and goblins , on a psTV , on a big 47inch tv , with a dual shock controller.

(and the gradius collection..salamander collection.. parodius collection..)

heaven.

SURGEdude

Wow, awesome!
Just a probably dumb question, are 3d psp games rendered at native 544p or just upscaled from 272p?

Upscaled. But with the filtering and much improved screen tech I was surprised how decent they look. Haven't done it on my PSTV though, I expect results on the big screen to be less positive.

NeOak

Upscaled. But with the filtering and much improved screen tech I was surprised how decent they look. Haven't done it on my PSTV though, I expect results on the big screen to be less positive.

Should look better than the PSP Component cables at least.

SURGEdude

god dammit

Not addressing you specifically but it's really important that people realize how little effort is likely going into finding exploits in later firmwares. The current exploit was released while the firmware it used was current and thus available to any Vita owner. On top of that since the Vita allows offline updating anybody with an older firmware could join in as well. And in addition to those factors it's safe to say that a very small percentage of the Vita hardware that will be produced before it's canned has not already been shipped. Likewise most of the system's software catalogue is almost certainly behind it at this point. Few systems and few games will be unable to participate.

The fact that this exploit was both easy to use, available to all Vita's, and late in the lifecycle mean there likely won't be much interest in finding future holes until Sony stops updating the firmware.

Upgrade past 3.60 at your own peril. It may be quite a while or maybe even never that you will get the chance to run unsigned code.

SURGEdude

Ah ok.

Is there a better option at lower FW versions or is this the overall best CFW right now?

Don't waste your time on anything other than 3.60. Now that we have PSP I can't think of any advantage to the previously exploited lower firmwares. I imagine most homebrew won't bother ensuring support for older versions.

The process for PSTV is:

Update using a USB flash drive

Download the update file to your computer, and then save it on the USB flash drive. Copy the saved file to your PS TV system to update the system.

The following things are needed to perform the update:

PS TV system
Computer (Windows®/Mac)
The computer must connect to the Internet.
USB flash drive.
There must be 150 MB of free space.
On the USB flash drive, create folders for saving the update file.
Using a computer, create a folder named "PSVITA" on the USB flash drive. Inside that folder, create another folder named "UPDATE".
Download the update file, and save it in the "UPDATE" folder you created in step 1.Save the file with the file name "PSVUPDAT.PUP".

Click to start the download.
Turn off the power of your PS TV system completely.
Press and hold the Power button on your PS TV system for at least 7 seconds to turn on the power. The system starts in safe mode.
Connect a controller using a USB cable, and then press then PS button.
Select [Update System Software] > [Update from USB Storage Device].
Connect the USB flash drive that the update file is saved on to your PS TV system. Follow the screens to complete the update.
If your PS TV system does not recognize the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.

Nice. That's better than I had expected. Just might have to find which drive I have my ISOs on and give it a whirl.

Probably should mention that I had mixed success with different file types. I'm currently using bin/cues and that's worked for everything I've tried, but ISOs and EBOOTs were less consistent.

Oh, and unrelated, I've got CSOs working with adrenaline. No issues so far, though my Parodius Portable rip seems to be having issues (even before compression). Might have to make a new one. Was able to fit 2-3 more games with no additional space required by deleting all my PSN PSP games and replacing them with CSOs.

Will I be banned from PSN if I save edit certain games that share the same saves on both the Vita and PS4 versions like Binding of Isaac and Senran Kagura, and use said saves on the PS4?

Producer

Will I be banned from PSN if I save edit certain games that share the same saves on both the Vita and PS4 versions like Binding of Isaac and Senran Kagura, and use said saves on the PS4?

Not sure if the PS4 would even recognize the save file after its edited. Either way i wouldnt recommend

Joey Ravn

Banned
To change the icon/livearea bg, put those file in
ur0:/appmeta/yourbasegametitleid/icon0.png (if your base game's icon0 file has a .dds extension u have to change the icon0.png to icon0.dds)
For other 3 file put them in ur0:/appmeta/yourbasegametitleid/livearea/contents/ (reboot your vita and u should see new icons now)

If you want to change your basegame name:
Download/Install sqllitebrowser (google it)
Download your app.db from ur0:/shell/db/ by ftp and open it up in sqllitebrowser
Go to browse data tab and in the table dropdown select tbl_appinfo_icon
You should see a list, find your basegame name and click on the title tab, write Adrenaline in the right box and click apply.
After clicking apply in the upper tab of sqllitebrowser click write changes and upload it back to your ur0:/shell/db/ by ftp and then reboot, your are done~

If you want to customize your bubble without using Bubble Studio (which is a bit crappy, admitedly). Can't link to the source, unfortunately.

Bear in mind that only Minis yield the exact same result as Freakler's pictures, since PSP games can't edit the layout of the Live Area.

Top Bottom