• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here comes the NPD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

SyNapSe said:
So, there were no other popular Xbox games this month? One's that could have been new? Like Riddick, or FSW, or even multiplatforms such as Psi-ops, Spiderman 2, etc.

Just in case you missed the newsflash, Psi-ops is officially not popular.

And this guy just trolled quite successfully, hooked like four people in a row.

Just for balance: Celda is retarded.

There, I think we've brought the thread down to where it was going pretty fast, and all before the hardware numbers, too!

AniHawk

La Pucelle: Tactics: 29,748

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II Rogue Leader: 844,983
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike: 343,029

Soul Calibur (GC): 555,678
Soul Calibur (PS2): 509,648
Soul Calibur (Xbox): 359,028

Resident Evil Zero: 404,280
Resident Evil: 461,691
Resident Evil 2: 35,016
Resident Evil 3: 47,173
Resident Evil Code Veronica: 26,426

Viewtiful Joe: 225,345

TimeSplitters 2:

PS2 262,862
XBX 212,831
GCN 207,560

Thanks bunkum. No wonder why LPT was $20 so soon.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
Just for balance: Celda is retarded.

There, I think we've brought the thread down to where it was going pretty fast, and all before the hardware numbers, too!

Wait, what about the PS2 owners? They need a word in.

Che

Banned
evil ways said:
Not really, Halo on Xbox is like opening a McDonald's on a large island with no other fast food places. What else are people going to eat?

You're kinda right...

SyNapSe

GhaleonEB said:
Just in case you missed the newsflash, Psi-ops is officially not popular.

And this guy just trolled quite successfully, hooked like four people in a row.

Yeah, I kinda caught the fact that he was trolling. I realize Psi-Ops didn't blow out the doors, I was just trying to point to the fact there were quite a few options.

----

Banned
AniHawk said:
TimeSplitters 2:

PS2 262,862
XBX 212,831
GCN 207,560
Timesplitters 2 sold pretty evenly across the board. It's a good game, if they had fixed the aiming and made a better single player story it would have been a great game. Even with the broken aiming it's one of the most fun multiplayer FPS games out there. Man I wish I could take those monkies onto Xbox Live and set them on fire with 15 other people.

Psi-Ops is actually a good game it's just to bad people aren't giving it a chance. Hopefully sales for this game pick up soon because I would like to see a sequel.
$30 plus a free copy of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/234025.asp

That's probably not a good sign for PS2 sales. Poor Midway, they've really been improving the quality of their games.

GhaleonEB

evil ways said:
Maybe it will get one of those word of mouth, price drop pushes in the next few months, hopefully, cause I would like to see a sequel get made for the more obvious reasons.

I've had the same hopes for games I though were great over the past few years which suffered a similar fate (Panzer Dragoon Orta, MDK2). Never happens.

JayFro

Banned
The game has a ton of potential for future titles, but if sales are that bad we probably won't see a sequel for it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
bunkum said:
When from?

Any of their current gen stuff. I think their first release was in Oct or November last year so anything from Sept on should cover it (just to make sure it covers all the months). It shouldn't be too many games. I think its just KOF00/01 for PS2 and MS3 for Xbox.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
I've had the same hopes for games I though were great over the past few years which suffered a similar fate (Panzer Dragoon Orta, MDK2). Never happens.

Well, Panzer Dragoon is one of Sega's more popular franchises in recent years. On the right system with a good marketing push, I think a sequel could do well.

MDK 2... man, that's a difficult game.

----

Banned
I don't think Orta could do well on any system. It's a shooter on rails, it hurts your hands to play, it's too hard for the casuals, people complained it was too short and the art story and language is too abstract for casual gamers to enjoy. I don't think it's a bad game, but like an ICO or a Parrappa I don't know if it could ever be accepted by the mainstream.

Psi-Ops on the otherhand is a violent shooter with an original premise. Not really sure why it wouldn't sell well. It does look a bit too generic and the main character seems to lack any memorable qualities but that doesn't usually hurt other shooters.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
MDK 2... man, that's a difficult game.

Took me about six weeks to crack it beat it. At the end of the summer it came out I could cakewalk through the levels. It reminded me of an old-school platformer like Contra - hard as hell but the fun made up for it.

I gotta break out my DC for that one again soon.

---- said:
I don't think Orta could do well on any system. It's a shooter on rails, it hurts your hands to play, it's too hard for the casuals, people complained it was too short and the art story and language is too abstract for casual gamers to enjoy.

All the things I love about it, right there. Oh, and the music. Your're right, though.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Chi-Town said:
Psi-Ops probably would've benefited from some tv ads like Midway did with the Suffering.
Yep. When the Suffering was released you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a TV ad somewhere (to thoroughly mess up my metaphors). Frankly, Psi-Ops would have benefitted more from the exposure.

AniHawk

5{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0onEB]Took me about six weeks to crack it beat it. At the end of the summer it came out I could cakewalk through the levels. It reminded me of an old-school platformer like Contra - hard as hell but the fun made up for it.

I gotta break out my DC for that one again soon.

All the things I love about it, right there. Oh, and the music. Your're right, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... MDK 2 might permanently end up on my backlog. On the 4th level and I can't get out of jail without being murdered.

Izzy

Banned
---- said:
I don't think Orta could do well on any system. It's a shooter on rails, it hurts your hands to play, it's too hard for the casuals, people complained it was too short and the art story and language is too abstract for casual gamers to enjoy. I don't think it's a bad game, but like an ICO or a Parrappa I don't know if it could ever be accepted by the mainstream.

If I recall correctly, Panzer series on Saturn was huge in Japan.

Izzy said:
If I recall correctly, Panzer series on Saturn was huge in Japan.

Yep another really succesful rail based game was Star Fox 64. There haven't been too many this gen so it's hard to judge how it'd do on any other system. But i'd be surprised if it couldn't pass the Xbox numbers.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
SolidSnakex said:
Yep another really succesful rail based game was Star Fox 64. There haven't been too many this gen so it's hard to judge how it'd do on any other system. But i'd be surprised if it couldn't pass the Xbox numbers.

I agree. I think it would have sold better on both the Gamecube and the PS2. Gamecube owners seem to really latch on to exclusives when they come their way (especially when they are less mainstream) and PS2 has the userbase.

bunkum

JC10001 said:
Any of their current gen stuff. I think their first release was in Oct or November last year so anything from Sept on should cover it (just to make sure it covers all the months). It shouldn't be too many games. I think its just KOF00/01 for PS2 and MS3 for Xbox.

OK, I'll do it sometime tomorrow for you, and put it in its own thread.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Deepthroat said:
Good/bad?

I think it's pretty good. I don't think many casuals had it on their radar. I think it will have good legs next month because of word of mouth and advertising (I just saw a commercial for it a couple days ago).

bunkum said:
OK, I'll do it sometime tomorrow for you, and put it in its own thread.

Thanks.

GhaleonEB

JC10001 said:
I agree. I think it would have sold better on both the Gamecube and the PS2. Gamecube owners seem to really latch on to exclusives when they come their way (especially when they are less mainstream) and PS2 has the userbase.

In general, Sega took the wrong path with this gen from the start. Putting Shenmue, PSO, TJ&E III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Gunvalkyrie all on the XBox was a huge mistake. Most of those games would have done much better on the PS2/Cube.

Hope they get it right next gen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone have the total for Enclave? To compare.

Hopefully, as its a word of mouth kind of thing, it'll keep selling, it'd be a crying shame if starbreeze get away without doing a sequel.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/20/news_6103066.html

NPD: June game sales up 5 percent

Analysts begin to react to stronger-than-expected revenues, driven by best-sellers Spider-Man 2, Full Spectrum Warrior, Red Dead Revolver, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

June 2004 NPD Funworld figures arrived to the industry a day late this month, but there were no complaints from either the retailer or publisher camps. Dollar and unit sales were up for the month of June, prompting one analyst to call the $41 million spike in June sales “significantly higher than expected.”

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was the first to issue a note to the financial community reflecting on the increased revenues for the month of June, which rose from $339 million in June 2003 to $380 million in June 2004.

Drilling down to highlight the industry’s top performers, Pachter said, “We were especially encouraged by the performance of new SKUs, such as Activision's Spider-Man 2, Atari's DRIV3R, Electronic Arts' Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and THQ's Full Spectrum Warrior, each of which sold well over 100,000 units.” Those were just four of the 12 titles that sold more than 100,000 units each during the month.

Other notable sellers, according to Pachter, were Activision’s A-list titles Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2, which sold 326,000 units and 442,000 units, respectively, He also singled out Atari’s respectable performance with DRIV3R, which sold 238,000 units despite receiving mixed reviews.

Electronic Arts was also in the spotlight during June, during which it held onto its 16 percent share of the game market. The company drove an estimated $61.4 million at retail, buoyed by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban's 316,000 units sold.

Other 100,000-plus-unit sellers for the month included Midway’s NBA Ballers (120,000) and Take-Two’s Red Dead Revolver (140,000 units).

Pachter held up THQ for some well-deserved glory, noting the company had 29 titles that sold in excess of 10,000 units during the month of June, compared to only 10 titles that topped the threshold the previous month. Full Spectrum Warrior for the Xbox sold about 190,000 units for the month.

With the first half of 2004 over, Pachter was confident in his assessment that the game market is on track for a year-on-year growth of at least 10 percent. His closing comments to the investment community were emblematic of this enthusiasm--“The rebound in sales growth has begun.”

bunkum

jarrod said:
Hey Bunkum, could we get numbers for the Classic NES Series, Shining Force GBA and Mario Golf GBA?

Here's a snippet,

GBA MARIO VS. DONKEY KONG $3,131,446 102511
GBA SUPER MARIO CLASSIC $2,144,496 110627
GBA ZELDA CLASSIC $2,000,679 102166

bunkum said:
Here's a snippet,

OMG! That's the worst news I've ever seen. Milking another $7 mill on 20 year old games! (give or take :) )

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
bunkum said:
Here's a snippet,

Wow. Pretty damn even, though I imagine that the ones you didn't show (DK, Xevious, Pacman, Ice Climbers, Bomberman) didn't fair as well.

Chi-Town

sonycowboy said:
Other 100,000-plus-unit sellers for the month included Midway’s NBA Ballers (120,000)

Well, that should take some sting out of the Psi-Ops numbers. Does anybody know what Ballers' totals are?

jedimike

bunkum said:
Here's a snippet,

Damn people, what's the obsession? Am I the only one who thinks these should all have been on one cart for $20?

bheemer

damn gamespot says the report is out. they are usually the last to post everything and we still dont have it up on our GAF

Justin Bailey

------ ------
bunkum said:
Here's a snippet,

I'll be damned, you honestly can't blame NOA's pricing if people are willing to pay that much for them. Personally, I won't pay any more than $10 for the ones out currently (minus zelda).

bunkum

Right, I'm off to bed now as its GMT here so gone 1am, when I post data tomorrow do you want it in here or a new thread. I'll let democracy rule so you lot can decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom