• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here comes the NPD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJoel

This thread needs:

waffles.jpg

Hurray for Zelda. I wasn't expecting over 100k either. It barely crawled past 100k in Japan so this is excellent. Now if it can just have the legs of Pikmin 2......

AniHawk

Chibbi Brady said:
Hurray for Zelda. I wasn't expecting over 100k either. It barely crawled past 100k in Japan so this is excellent. Now if it can just have the legs of Pikmin 2......

Well, it wasn't the Japenese sales which made me think it wouldn't sell, it was that it was 2D (using mostly SNES/GBA style graphics), $49.99, and the game largely required multiple people with GBAs.

AniHawk

bunkum said:
I'll do full lists tomorrow, just let the odd ones slip out tonight, don't want to lose the source ;)

Do you have April sales for the following games?:

Resident Evil: 459,659
Resident Evil 2: 34,821
Resident Evil 3: 46,870
Resident Evil Code Veronica: 24,117

Viewtiful Joe: 218,850

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike: 333,518

Soul Calibur (GC): 548,641
Soul Calibur (PS2): 502,736
Soul Calibur (Xbox): 354,391

Also, do you have May sales for Metal Slug 3 and La Pucelle Tactics (if it did come out in May)?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wtf @ halo

O_O

When you're still selling 100,000 copies a month on your 30th month of release, you know you have done something right

COCKLES

being watched
Halos like the Terminator.

"Can't be resoned with. Can't be bargained with and will never stop ever!...until Ps2 is dead".

cabel

bunkum said:
ZELDA: FOUR SWORDS $7,656,926 155067

But.. but.. connectivity is such a gimmick! It's a joke! Nobody wants.. online is.. I swear to god that.. mommy, hold me!

In all seriousness, AniHawk called it -- the fact that this was both 2D and largely reliant on the oft-maligned connectivity is incredibly interesting.

Is Nintendo is smarter than we think? Is the Zelda franchise so strong they could sell Zelda-branded Depends disposable undergarments and they would crack the NPD Top 10? Are consumers maybe not as terrified of fancy-2D as Sony seems to think they are? Or is it a bit from all of the above?

Again, interesting...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
COCKLES said:
"Can't be resoned with. Can't be bargained with and will never stop ever!...until Ps2 is dead".

And we all know what happens to the Terminator. He gets crushed by a bitch in the end.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
wtf @ halo

O_O

When you're still selling 100,000 copies a month on your 30th month of release, you know you have done something right

I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see Halo still racking them up. I wonder if the uptick from ~80k the last two months is due to the Halo hardware selling out, or an increase in overall hardware?

And to think it's still at $30.

IJoel

cabel said:
But.. but.. connectivity is such a gimmick! It's a joke! Nobody wants.. online is.. I swear to god that.. mommy, hold me!

In all seriousness, AniHawk called it -- the fact that this was both 2D and largely reliant on the oft-maligned connectivity is incredibly interesting.

Is Nintendo is smarter than we think? Is the Zelda franchise so strong they could sell Zelda-branded Depends disposable undergarments and they would crack the NPD Top 10? Are consumers maybe not as terrified of fancy-2D as Sony seems to think they are? Or is it a bit from all of the above?

Again, interesting...

Eh... it's a Zelda game.

Zelda games = Sales.

I'm somewhat surprised it didn't sell more.

evil ways

DopeyFish said:
wtf @ halo

O_O

Not really, Halo on Xbox is like opening a McDonald's on a large island with no other fast food places. What else are people going to eat?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
evil ways said:
Not really, Halo on Xbox is like opening a McDonald's on a large island with no other fast food places. What else are people going to eat?

I'm glad I didn't have to be the one to say it, though it's less true now that it was a year or two ago.

IJoel

evil ways said:

Yeah, those 180K and 130K copies sold for FSW and Riddick (respectively) definitely support your argument.

SyNapSe

evil ways said:

So, there were no other popular Xbox games this month? One's that could have been new? Like Riddick, or FSW, or even multiplatforms such as Psi-ops, Spiderman 2, etc.

Mrbob

evil ways said:

Haha you left your argument way too open! You can feast in the sea of delight! Just like Xbox. :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
SyNapSe said:
So, there were no other popular Xbox games this month? One's that could have been new? Like Riddick, or FSW, or even multiplatforms such as Psi-ops, Spiderman 2, etc.

They are all (or will be) non-exclusive. I'm just saying.

IJoel

BobbyRobby said:
Is the Halo bundle counted at all?. Because 29.99 x 100,016 > 2,968,000

Gee... 29.99 x 100,016 = 2,999,479.84

The difference is around $31K which can easily be attributed to $19.99/$24.99 weekly sales at different retailers.

Besides, the Xbox/Halo Bundle is a different SKU and wouldn't be counted afaik.

bunkum

OLD DATA WARNING

AniHawk said:
Do you have April sales for the following games?:

Resident Evil: 459,659
Resident Evil 2: 34,821
Resident Evil 3: 46,870
Resident Evil Code Veronica: 24,117

Viewtiful Joe: 218,850

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike: 333,518

Soul Calibur (GC): 548,641
Soul Calibur (PS2): 502,736
Soul Calibur (Xbox): 354,391

Also, do you have May sales for Metal Slug 3 and La Pucelle Tactics (if it did come out in May)?

GCN RESIDENT EVIL $40,711 2032
GCN RESIDENT EVIL 2 $6,043 195
GCN RESIDENT EVIL 3:NEMES $8,849 303
GCN RESIDENT EVIL CODE: X $69,023 2309
GCN RESIDENT EVIL ZERO $95,984 4877
GCN VIEWTIFUL JOE $194,011 6495
GCN SW:ROGUE SQUADRON III $269,166 9511
GCN SOUL CALIBUR II $278,089 7037
PS2 SOUL CALIBUR II $271,671 6912
XBX SOUL CALIBUR II $175,389 4637
PS2 LA PUCELLE: TACTICS $1,479,829 29748

----

Banned
I'd just like to point out that regardless of whether you live on an island or not McDonalds probably does better business than any other restaurant (fast food or otherwise) where you live. Not a bad comparison to Halo, unfortunately it undermines your point. That and the fact that people wouldn't even come to Xbox island if the only thing it had to offer was a McDonalds. :D

evil ways

Daxter Too said:
You are soooo right. Xbox suckssss.

Come on, no need to get all riled up and start putting words on other people's mouths, I love my Halobox very much as do a lot other people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom