• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's a very well written Metroid Prime 2 Review

Eric-GCA

Banned
From OtherSteve on the IGN Boards who wrote this for a website.

http://www.gamerz-edge.com/cube/reviews/mp2echoes.html

Its a very long read, so here are some quotes:
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes’ controls can be summed up in three words: identical to Prime. That means you’ll find the same control scheme from the original Prime in Echoes, and that also means you won’t find Dual Analog. Simply put, if you liked Metroid Prime’s controls, you’ll like the controls in Echoes. If you hated them, you’ll hate them again here.

Dark Aether isn’t quite as large as Aether in terms of real estate, but it’s still pretty darn big, and it’s a whole lot more dreadful and downright unsettling. In fact, it’s probably best that Retro has chosen not to include too much more Dark Aether exploration, because as it stands, there is a fairly decent balance between the exploration feel of Aether’s gorgeous lands and the sense of cautious progression imposed by the sinister atmosphere of Dark Aether.

Overall, Echoes is detectably more structured than Prime was, which also makes it feel a slight bit more linear – but not in a bad way. In Prime, almost the entire adventure was spent simply searching for suit enhancements. Bosses were scattered throughout unexpectedly to protect the more important upgrades, which were generally lying in a seemingly random location on the map. In Echoes, instead, the collection of the three keys leading into each temple actually serves to simplify the adventure for the player, and the tension leading up to the boss battle therein is wonderful.

Of course, it should also be noted that the environments do not remain the same throughout the entire game. The first time through a room you may battle plants and other relatively harmless creatures, and then later on when you must return, you may find yourself in a battle with a deadly foe. This variation helps to keep subsequent trips through familiar territory interesting, especially once you have become significantly more powerful than the enemies in that particular location.

In keeping with Prime’s strengths, Echoes presents a challenge that is nothing to scoff at – in fact, it’s more challenging than Prime ever was. For one, the bosses in Echoes are relentless. You’ll be fighting for your life in many of the game’s later multi-stage battles, and you’ll probably still lose a good number of times before you finally get it right. This is certainly not a game for the weak… but it’s oh-so satisfying to win a battle in Echoes – the beasts you’ll encounter are so powerful and unremitting that victory often seems like a superhuman feat. It’s delightfully gratifying.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is the new best-looking game on the GameCube. In terms of visuals, there is nothing else out there quite like this game. Gorgeous lighting effects abound as beams and flood lights cast their glow on the alien walls. Pistons chug and gears twirl as sparks spew out of the realistic machinery that makes up the game’s foreign industrial objects. Textures are wonderful for the most part and seams are nearly undetectable on the polygonal surfaces that make up the breathtaking locales. Oodles and oodles of effects help to tell the story and send chills up your spine, such as the thick atmospheric fogging in many Dark Aether areas.

The art style is incredible – almost Myst-like in atmosphere at times, as magic, mystery, and foreign machinery mingle to produce an unforgettable atmosphere. Architecture is again amazing; alien structures stretch toward the sky, twisted and magnificent. Stuff like cracks and wedges that absolutely did not need to be included are there anyway just to drive the sense of surrealism home.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes features great music as well. From atmospheric and minimalist to driving and heart-pounding, Kenji Yamamoto’s dynamic score has done it again. Everything feels very sci-fi and foreign, just as you might expect from a Metroid game. If you’ve heard Metroid Prime’s music, you can expect more of the same great style of game music.

Echoes also includes a few great remixes from older Metroid games. A few of the songs you’ll recognize include remixes of the Super Metroid Brinstar music (which alone almost makes you want to play multiplayer), the Super Metroid Brinstar Red Soil Area music, and the Item Room music. It’s nostalgic but also well-placed; not many songs are as eerie and dissonant as the Brinstar Red Soil Area music, and you’ll discover that all over again while playing Echoes.

Overall Comment

I was excited; I was worried… but Echoes had me floored starting from a couple hours in. Yes, it’s true that it’s merely a sequel and that it feels almost exactly the same as the first game, but who am I to complain about that? Metroid Prime was amazing, and Echoes is amazing as well. If you don’t mind playing some more of the same type of thing you found in Prime, albeit with a bit of a darker twist, you will love Echoes like your firstborn child. Retro, Nintendo: I salute you.

Gameplay: 9.5/10.0
Graphics: 10.0/10.0
Sound: 9.5/10.0
Fun Factor: 9.5/10.0
Depth: 9.5/10.0
Final Score: 9.6

And those were just a few quotes, the whole review is pretty long, but very very well written indeed, and does get you all hyped for the game.

snapty00

Banned
olimario said:
Othersteve is a nice guy.
Took on Tommy Tellarico (sp?) head to head and destroyed him.
I don't know. I think both Steve and Tommy are from the same branch of stupid. Originally, Tommy was stupid, but then Steve made this huge-- and I mean HUGE -- fucking deal out of it, putting him right up there with him.

Dark Dragon said:
This comes out the 17th correct?

Ships the 15th, should be in most stores by the 17th.

Anyway, I can't wait for this. The only thing that concerns me is the difficulty - I thought the first game on Normal was challenging enough, thank you.

En-ou

good review, nothing i din expect from nintendo though ~_^

that TT guy is an ass. i remember he reviewed ssbm and gave it a 3.5/10 wahahaha what an ass

Shit! Now I have to buy Echoes on launch after reading that review... I was hoping to be able to resist it until I play more of my obsene backlog of games :(

AniHawk

adelgary said:
Shit! Now I have to buy Echoes on launch after reading that review... I was hoping to be able to resist it until I play more of my obsene backlog of games :(

I just hope I can finish my backlog before KOTOR II hits (Phantom Brave, Shadow Hearts 2, and SMT:N). Probably not gonna happen.

Eric-GCA

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
Thank you for reassuring me that Metroid Prime 2 is no piece-of-shit 9.1 title!
I think its more of the game being reviewed by someone who's enjoyed the Metroid series since its begining, rather than a reviewer who is playing the game with the expectations of it being a traditional FPS, or a Halo-like game.

And I totally agree with his description of the graphics being "Myst" like, its a very apt description.

Eric-GCA said:
I think its more of the game being reviewed by someone who's enjoyed the Metroid series since its begining, rather than a reviewer who is playing the game with the expectations of it being a traditional FPS, or a Halo-like game..

If you think Dave thought that Metroid Prime 2 was going to be like a traditional FPS like Halo, then you're completely daft. :p Of course Dave is a fan of the Metroid series, and of course Dave understand what Metroid "is", and of course he reviewed the game accordingly. He also gave it an 8.5. SHOCK HORROR.

All this "backtracking is a part of the Metroid series" bullshit is pissing me off. NO IT'S NOT. Metroid games have always let the player backtrack if they like to uncover new secrets, and sometimes slightly to unlock a new path to a new area, but the Artifact/Key Quests of Metroid Prime 1 + 2 are way beyond anything in the 2D Metroids. There's a difference gracefully non-linear interlocking map design with numerous secrets and forcing the player to repeatedly retraverse entire old sections for obvious fetch quest items. When a player reexplored an old area in a 2D Metroid, it was to find new areas and secrets -- not to fetch arbitrary widgets with no actual gameplay use.

Grr. Nintendo fans piss me off. The philosophy of "only true Metroid fans can review Metroid" is just doublespeak for "anything less than a 9.5 is invalid." YOUR PRECIOUS NINTENDO GAME IS VERY GOOD! GREAT, EVEN! PLEASE TRY TO ACCEPT IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST GAME EVER.

Tritroid

JackFrost2012 said:
If you think Dave thought that Metroid Prime 2 was going to be like a traditional FPS like Halo, then you're completely daft. :p Of course Dave is a fan of the Metroid series, and of course Dave understand what Metroid "is", and of course he reviewed the game accordingly. He also gave it an 8.5. SHOCK HORROR.

All this "backtracking is a part of the Metroid series" bullshit is pissing me off. NO IT'S NOT. Metroid games have always let the player backtrack if they like to uncover new secrets, and sometimes slightly to unlock a new path to a new area, but the Artifact/Key Quests of Metroid Prime 1 + 2 are way beyond anything in the 2D Metroids. There's a difference gracefully non-linear interlocking map design with numerous secrets and forcing the player to repeatedly retraverse entire old sections for obvious fetch quest items. When a player reexplored an old area in a 2D Metroid, it was to find new areas and secrets -- not to fetch arbitrary widgets with no actual gameplay use.

Grr. Nintendo fans piss me off. The philosophy of "only true Metroid fans can review Metroid" is just doublespeak for "anything less than a 9.5 is invalid." YOUR PRECIOUS NINTENDO GAME IS VERY GOOD! GREAT, EVEN! PLEASE TRY TO ACCEPT IT MAY NOT BE THE BEST GAME EVER.

Actually, yes, backtracking in the 2D Metroid titles was a huge part of the gameplay. And no, the majority of the time that was not a choice. Recall having to backtrack through the entire upper area of Norfair in Metroid 3 just to get to lower Norfair later in the game? How about being forced to backtrack through practically the entire planet of SR388 to find every single last Metroid in Metroid 2? Backtracking was not just to uncover secrets, it was often a core element of the gameplay.

skip

the main problem, I think, is that the backtracking in Prime/Echoes is for the arbitrary bullshit that JF pointed out. tacking on artifacts and keys that have no relevance to the game is lazy design.

Tritroid

skip said:
the main problem, I think, is that the backtracking in Prime/Echoes is for the arbitrary bullshit that JF pointed out. tacking on artifacts and keys that have no relevance to the game is lazy design.
And since when are the artifacts and keys the only reason to backtrack in Prime/Echoes?

They aren't. They're like a fraction of the backtracking.

Azih

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that I'm not a patient enough gamer to play Metroid games but I did get through most of Super Metroid and backtracking definetly wasn't an optional part of the game.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Tritroid said:
Actually, yes, backtracking in the 2D Metroid titles was a huge part of the gameplay. And no, the majority of the time that was not a choice. Recall having to backtrack through the entire upper area of Norfair in Metroid 3 just to get to lower Norfair later in the game? How about being forced to backtrack through practically the entire planet of SR388 to find every single last Metroid in Metroid 2? Backtracking was not just to uncover secrets, it was often a core element of the gameplay.

ughh - it was a method to artificially extend gameplay in the game without exceeding the boundaries set by the system. Much like giving the player only X lives in Castlevania or Contra (how much value does that game have with 30 lives vs. with 3 lives?), or random battles in NES and SNES RPGs. These sorts of things definitely do not need to persist into the modern game world.

skip

Tritroid said:
And since when are the artifacts and keys the only reason to backtrack in Prime/Echoes?

They aren't. They're like a fraction of the backtracking.

I didn't mean to imply they were the only reason, I said they are a bullshit reason.

SantaC

hey skip, aren't you thhe reviewer from EGM? Since you gave it a 9 there must be positives with it, but I have only heard compliants so far. Give me some good things about Prime 2. I can't buy your mag anyway.

skip

SantaCruZer said:
hey skip, aren't you thhe reviewer from EGM? Since you gave it a 9 there must be positives with it, but I have only heard compliants so far. Give me some good things about Prime 2. I can't buy your mag anyway.

I'm on gmr.

positives: awesome art, lengthy, good challenge, great level design, very metroidy structure (aside from the key hunting), and if you can deal with the controls, great boss fights.

SantaC

skip said:
I'm on gmr.

positives: awesome art, lengthy, good challenge, great level design, very metroidy structure (aside from the key hunting), and if you can deal with the controls, great boss fights.

I have no problems with the controls, and I love a challenge. Thanks. :)

So is GMR a sister mag to EGM?

WarPig

skip said:
I'm on gmr.

I would add mostly cool music, except for some slightly grating tunes in Sanctuary. And yeah, the old-skool remixes are neato if you've played the old games.

Playing the campaign a second time, though, I am feeling NO challenge at all. Once you know where to go and know the boss patterns, the game's a complete cakewalk.

DFS.

shpankey

not an idiot
Nerevar said:
ughh - it was a method to artificially extend gameplay in the game without exceeding the boundaries set by the system. Much like giving the player only X lives in Castlevania or Contra (how much value does that game have with 30 lives vs. with 3 lives?), or random battles in NES and SNES RPGs. These sorts of things definitely do not need to persist into the modern game world.

brilliant... couldn't agree more

Deku Tree

WarPig said:
Playing the campaign a second time, though, I am feeling NO challenge at all. Once you know where to go and know the boss patterns, the game's a complete cakewalk.

Sounds just like the first Metroid Prime. But in the first game Hard mode spiced things up a bit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*raises hand*

I had most of the Artifacts in MP collected BEFORE the game ever required you to get them to proceed.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Hmm, I'm one of those people who likes to try and explore everything before I move on. So thats how I too had no problem with the artifact hunting in the original.

I love scanning stuff so I already know I'm going to like this game.

WarPig

Echoes forces a little more backtracking on you, though, 'cuz...four, I think, of the nine keys requires the Light Suit and/or the Screw Attack.

DFS

Top Bottom