• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Wrekt

People are starting to realize that going after crystals is a valid strategy. I've been crystal rushed in a couple of my games and I've been completely out of position for it. They can burst it down before I can respond.

eznark

Banned
There is a work around for the time being on the FAQ at their website.

The problem with that work around is that you either have to leave HA open all the time after doing it, or do it all over again when you go back to it. With an async game, that workaround is retardedly useless. Like the elves brawler.

ultron87

I'm pretty sure it doubles the life leech from attacks

That item is perfectly useful except for the fact that it replaces the ability to reduce physical damage. The lack of a shield item is a huge problem when you're dealing an archer + sword or the ninja.

Also, make my units block enemy movement. Please. At least make them get a free hit on a unit moving directly through their square or something. You literally can't protect your units from a 3-square moving Ninja.

Jako

That item is perfectly useful except for the fact that it replaces the ability to reduce physical damage. The lack of a shield item is a huge problem when you're dealing an archer + sword or the ninja.

Also, make my units block enemy movement. Please. At least make them get a free hit on a unit moving directly through their square or something. You literally can't protect your units from a 3-square moving Ninja.

I have to agree, that's a pretty big issue

Wrekt

What's the general rule you follow for rematch? If desired, should the loser initiate it or the winner? If they both do, you have 2 games.

I'm on a losing streak and don't feel like the loser should initiate a rematch as the winner may feel they already beat that guy. So I haven't been asking for rematches.

I always do loser-initiates-rematch. Someone that lost is much more likely to not want to play the game anymore, so they should be the ones to decide whether or not to continue playing.

Seem to be surprisingly little crossover with my Carc list and my HA list. I recognize a few names, but, figured other Carc folks would jump on HA.

Shaneus

Okay, this is going to sound weird... but after a bit of a session, does anyone spend the next few minutes doing things, but count in 5 steps?

Stand up.
Walk to fridge.
Open fridge.
Get snack.
Eat snack.
*damnit*

Edit: This tidbit of info may be useful:
THE BASICS
The basic premise of each battle is fairly simple - both players receive 28 random reinforcement pieces and use these to do battle. These reinforcements can be units, upgrades, spells or potions.
From here. Though I'm more inclined to think it's closer to being almost exactly the same across all matches, there are some games where my opponent (usually Jako, the bastard!) seems to have more exploitable units than I.

Jako

Okay, this is going to sound weird... but after a bit of a session, does anyone spend the next few minutes doing things, but count in 5 steps?

Stand up.
Walk to fridge.
Open fridge.
Get snack.
Eat snack.
*damnit*

Edit: This tidbit of info may be useful:

From here. Though I'm more inclined to think it's closer to being almost exactly the same across all matches, there are some games where my opponent (usually Jako, the bastard!) seems to have more exploitable units than I.

Ha!

If I'm playing while watching a TV show I end up counting the actors' lines, this game is brainwashing us.

For the second part of your post, I think the number of items is fixed, like 3 swords, 3 shields and so on...

Ps: I'm loving our double game!

Shaneus

Well, just had my first real victory a short while ago, and not quite as satisfying as losing all the time had lead me to believe it would be! Still need to work on strategies here and there as at the start of each game I'm kind-of winging it, but it's interesting when you can see that other players skills are improving in the middle of the game rather that between each one.

Pastry

Banned
So I'm in a game with Noreturn and I have 15 cards left total. I end up with 5 items in my hand. No big deal I will just swap... I get 5 items back. Well shit I'll swap again... I get 5 items back. Well fuck. I swap again and get 4 items and one unit. Dammit.

Amerzel

Neo Member
Enjoying this as well, am liking the Dark Elves. Looking forward to more races in the future.

Amerzel #addname

Played it quite a bit the last few weeks and sadly I must say I uninstalled it. There are too many random factors to make this a truly enjoyable tactical game. One hit kills have ruined it for me.

Really enjoying this, probably more than any iOS game I've played so far. I'm just starting to get a decent feel for the strategy. I'd been waltzing into each turn without really knowing what I was doing. Now winning maybe 25% of the time.

FongGhoul #addname

TommyT

A friend suggested I get this, yet I absolutely hate asynchronous games like this so I immediately uninstalled. Reinstalled at the promise of being able to play constantly with a group of friends and GAF. However, I will be uninstalling soon just because there's nothing to do while you're waiting for people. I've queued up 30+ games and still have periods of long wait times.

That said, the game is still pretty fun and good once you're learn all the strategies and how to 'exploit' certain aspects. I find that I'm just rolling people who want to sit back and build up a ton of units.

I don't know who this person is, but devastatingz has been giving me amazing challenges.

Amerzel

Neo Member
Created a game with the last few posters, good luck. Have a good game currently going with FongGhoul.

Amerzel

shiv_

Can anyone recommend some other tactic games like this? I am completely addicted to Hero Academy, but now I find myself wanting more. I've never played FF Tactics or anything like that, but I don't have a PlayStation of any kind either... was wondering if there's any games out there of this genre that are worth trying out on the PC/XBox/Nintendo platforms??

Shaneus

I need to stop sticking to my "random team only" rule. Invariably, I'll end up with the dark elves, which can hardly compare to the "good guys" with the archer* :(

*at least, until I can nut out some decent tactics

Vyer

Played it quite a bit the last few weeks and sadly I must say I uninstalled it. There are too many random factors to make this a truly enjoyable tactical game. One hit kills have ruined it for me.

I don't really see anything overly 'random'. Especially considering there's only two team types to account for at this point. (I imagine it'll be harder when there are more further down the line) Just have to be aware of what the other guy's capabilities are and keep track of what has already been thrown at you.

blackflag

Love this game. Can't wait for the update.

Vaguely similar to summoner wars, so it'll hold me over until that releases....then my life is over.

Pastry

Banned
The new tile has arrows going in every direction so maybe teleport or something to boost attack range (this would be a nightmare with archers)?

Whoa. New tile. The mind boggles.

Great games everyone, BTW. Sorry I'm a bit slower these days. But I thank each and every one of you for making me just that little bit better.

ultron87

The back crystal on that board is going to be impossible to put pressure on (unless you are massively ahead) with it right in between two deployment tiles.

I am really excited about the new update, I can't wait to see what their next move is on this game. On a personal note, I am finding the Dark Elves hard to master, any tips on how to better utilize them?

Side note: Anyone interested in doing a tournament kinda of like what is being done on the Hero Academy forums? A tournament for gaffers?

Pastry

Banned
I am really excited about the new update, I can't wait to see what their next move is on this game. On a personal note, I am finding the Dark Elves hard to master, any tips on how to better utilize them?

Side note: Anyone interested in doing a tournament kinda of like what is being done on the Hero Academy forums? A tournament for gaffers?

I would love to have a tournament every once in a while, I have had only positive experiences playing with people from GAF. With my luck I would play SothaSil first (damn you!), seriously, I'm like 0-20 against you.

When you're playing as the Elves don't forget about the priestess debuff, it is pretty useful!

Sotha Sil

I've been thinking about a Gaf tournament for a while now, just no idea how to organize it. Over a week-end, maybe, in order to allow the participants to play a tad faster than usual?

Great games, Pastry, you sure are a tough opponent. Really have to go all out against you!

I've been thinking about a Gaf tournament for a while now, just no idea how to organize it. Over a week-end, maybe, in order to allow the participants to play a tad faster than usual?
I think a weekend tourney would be great, maybe a second thread or a sub thread where we all put in our names. Maybe even double elemination style so we can end up with a first, second, and third placed champ?

Also started a game with you pastry!

TommyT

New board is coming out with the next update and it looks interesting. Seems like this one will promote attacking the crystal. Also, there is a weird new blue tile on the board. I can't figure out if it is a shield or something new. Plus a preview of the new Dwarf avatars in the top left!

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/MMM-Heroic-Sneak-Peek

I did a little experiment the other week, and granted I only have the default race of rushing/focusing the crystal and attempting to kill all the heroes. Did this with a couple of friends and lots of randoms:

Unless a certain situation is met, rushing the crystal kill as the default race is the way to go. This situation being that you get a fully defense upgraded knight, +ATK ninja, and healer out. TP with the knight on their side, tp the ninja and just wreck a character a turn. TP him out and repeat. If you can get this early it's easy domination.

If you're the elves, an upgraded caster with this range stomp makes forgoing the crystal kill and going with hero kills a much easier task.

If that is going well, get your super unit out and put fodder in front of your crystals to let them be killed but not stomped and have him eat your own units. Then just let him roll everyone.

I'd definitely be down for a GAF Tourney.

I'm so down! how about something like this?

double_elimination.gif

Top Bottom