• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Regardless to say I didn't get the tourney together on time! How about this wee make a deadline for confirmations this wednesday, and we start Friday night that way I can get the names and some more concrete rules in place?

Pastry

Banned
Some pretty important balance changes are being made in the next update that should even things out nicely. I like the changes to the Void Monk and Wizard.

As an evolving competitive game, Hero Academy will experience typical challenges in the realm of balance. We identified that one of the main issues at high levels of play was the effectiveness of the Council's Knight. Simply put, they weren't presenting a good enough tradeoff for the Council player, and allowed for some overpowered brute force strategies (especially when matched with a Ninja and a Cleric). We decided to reduce their health so that a Council player will now have to provide better support for their forward Knights, and so that a correctly positioned dps unit like an upgraded Archer can take out a Knight and potentially stomp it in 5 action points using a scroll. To complement this change, we gave the Wizard a slight boost in the form of some innate magical Resist. This will strengthen the Wizard against Dark Elf Necromancers, for example.

Speaking of Necromancers, we reduced the health of the Phantom they spawn from KO’d units. The Necromancer is a very powerful mainline unit, and Phantoms present a significant AP (Action Point) efficiency hurdle for their opponent. Weakening the Phantom slightly will ensure that it can nearly always be destroyed by a single attack from any other unit. Along with this change, and in an effort to address a weakness in the Dark Elves' mainline unit arsenal, we increased the Void Monk's movement range and splash damage slightly. We found that players were using this unit mostly as cannon fodder, and he wasn't being used often enough to threaten enemy unit clustering. This change enables several new options for Dark Elves players.

Wrekt

I'm finishing up my current games and then I'm taking an extended hiatus. I had too many games going too early. It's becoming a chore to continue taking turns.

I go down without being Sothasil once. I bring shame upon my house.

Shaneus

Well, it had to happen eventually :lol
Ovd2F.png

blackflag

Something weird happened to me last night. I took my turn, and it was a very close game. Opponent takes turn. I pull up the game, watch the replay....it shows me my replay and then says I lost. I tried to reset actions, reload, etc but it would only show me take my turn then it would say I lose.

Known bug?

Shaneus

I think I'm going down the path of Wrekt, but only after a few days of the new team getting released. Just taking up too much of my time and preventing me from grinding through Dungeon Raid. I should be level 10 on almost everyone by now, but I've only maxi-levelled about three or four guys :(

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the balance tweaks. The knight on the "good" team is far too overpowered for anyone to take him out and usually just provides the team as a brick wall to stop other guys from destroying the valuables like ninjas and healers. The Elf equivalent getting a splash damage and move boost will be welcomed, too.

Jako

I'm sorry to hear that Shaneus and Wrekt are taking a break from the game, but I understand your decision, gg mates!

robox

i took my break when i saw i had like 10 games waiting for opponent moves for over 2 weeks. didn't feel like starting new games and adding to that list. looks like the new update will implement auto-resign (or to me, auto-win), as that's something i've been wanting during that time.

Shaneus

I'm sorry to hear that Shaneus and Wrekt are taking a break from the game, but I understand your decision, gg mates!
Oh, not just yet. Going to give the new team a go for a bit!

I might actually try and keep one or two regular games going, but having four or five on the go at any one time can be too much of a time sink. Shit's addictive :(

Naka

So I just got this game over the weekend and am really enjoying it so far. Is there a general consensus as to what strategy is better, killing the enemy characters or going for the crystals?

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
So I just got this game over the weekend and am really enjoying it so far. Is there a general consensus as to what strategy is better, killing the enemy characters or going for the crystals?

Going super saiyajin level 10 and destroying the whole playing field.

EDIT: it's your turn btw :)

Pastry

Banned
Excited to try the update out, bummed I have to finish games with all of you before I can play as dwarves. Time for some randon games!

Not planning to buy dwarves, but, up for games. Bigwinnerx

I don't see a way to start a game over Gamecenter though unless I'm missing it.

Pastry

Banned
Not planning to buy dwarves, but, up for games. Bigwinnerx

I don't see a way to start a game over Gamecenter though unless I'm missing it.

You're correct. I just read the HA Twitter, they are not using GC for matchmaking. Matchmaking will continue to be done using HA nicknames. Apparently they are planning cross-platform play with Android so they need to use their own matchmaking system.

edit: I was looking at the avatar packs and based off the last silhouette the next team will be orcs or trolls it looks like.

Having a third class and all the new tweaks has really breathed new life into the game. I loved it, but now I LOVE it. I might even just start new matches on Random. All the classes have their own fun aspects.

Six Okay

Neo Member
Something weird happened to me last night. I took my turn, and it was a very close game. Opponent takes turn. I pull up the game, watch the replay....it shows me my replay and then says I lost. I tried to reset actions, reload, etc but it would only show me take my turn then it would say I lose.

Known bug?

This is a known bug. We fixed it in the update today, so it shouldn't happen in games from here on out. Later this week we'll go through and pull the games that are all in this weird state (it's a very small number relative to the whole player population) and force them into a completed state. When we do that, they'll drop off of your games list.

Pastry

Banned
Having a third class and all the new tweaks has really breathed new life into the game. I loved it, but now I LOVE it. I might even just start new matches on Random. All the classes have their own fun aspects.

I agree. Having that third class in there changes the dynamic a lot. I haven't been able to use the dwarves much but they are cool so far. I'm trying to not start any extra games just so I can play the dwarves haha I realized 15 active games is probably the perfect number for me.

Sotha Sil

ok, i'm back in it. i gave something else up for lent :D bring on the dwarves!!
Glad to hear it! The dwarves are so damn strange... So many differences! As I suspected, you can't stomp enemies with objects/abilities, which is unsettling enough. It's like learning to ride a bike all over again. Should be fun.

Sotha Sil

Sotha plays like some crappy AI one-trick pony or something :(

I'm just playing as efficiently as possible. Archers and necromancers are very, very dangerous. Putting important units right in front of them will get said units killed! You have to come up with a strategy to defend them.

I don't think any other GAFfer would say I play like "some crappy AI one-trick pony". Just don't put units in front of a fully upgraded archer :)

TommyT

:lol what is Sotha's "trick"?
edit: Oh.

I can't update here at work, someone said the elves are $.25, might bite and get them, though with only a few games left to finish up I'm still on the fence. Without a single player it's still hard for me to like the game that much.

I will say the feature to have someone resign after so many days is nice. I have about 15 games that are well past that time period. That's the bane for all of these types of games: if someone doesn't you have to queue up and home someone else wants to play.

I havent tried the update yet, I assumed it would do match making through GC

Pretty sure I have a pending game with you for like 3 weeks now.

Shaneus

I'm just playing as efficiently as possible. Archers and necromancers are very, very dangerous. Putting important units right in front of them will get said units killed! You have to come up with a strategy to defend them.

I don't think any other GAFfer would say I play like "some crappy AI one-trick pony". Just don't put units in front of a fully upgraded archer :)
Nah, it's more the healer spamming then surrounding them with other players that doesn't gel with me. I don't mind getting beaten if it's by a technique I can learn from and use to improve my own skillset with, but when it's that same thing over and over and there's no push forward (other than the aforementioned single-hit, return and heal if necessary), it just gets frustrating because there's literally nothing you can do that can't be undone.

It's definitely a winning strategy, but seeing exactly the same thing occur multiple battles in a row when other players use different strategies per game frustrates the absolute shit out of me.

Maybe the dwarves'll change things :/

Gowans

After being out of action with work I'm played my first games in weeks, love all the updates. So good.

Now for the dwarfs I think.

Sotha Sil

Nah, it's more the healer spamming then surrounding them with other players that doesn't gel with me. I don't mind getting beaten if it's by a technique I can learn from and use to improve my own skillset with, but when it's that same thing over and over and there's no push forward (other than the aforementioned single-hit, return and heal if necessary), it just gets frustrating because there's literally nothing you can do that can't be undone.

It's definitely a winning strategy, but seeing exactly the same thing occur multiple battles in a row when other players use different strategies per game frustrates the absolute shit out of me.

Maybe the dwarves'll change things :/

Well, defense indeed work well with the Council team, but I can assure you this is not my go-to strategy; if I use it against you, it's because it's the most efficient... against you. People use different playstyles - I've been rushed, crystal-rushed, attacked on two fronts, and did the same at times. It all depends on the unit/items you get at first, and on the hand your opponent is dealt. You have to react accordingly.

Here is the advice I would give you to make our games more fun. Not saying it applies exclusively to you, but these are mistakes I've witnessed, and that are easily corrected:

1) Swords are incredibly useful. If you're going to give one to a unit, make sure it's going to be worth it, and that said unit is well-protected.

2) Same goes for armor/shields. Don't throw them at units at the beginning of the game, to clear your waiting list. Don't give them to priestesses, unless it's absolutely necessary.

3) If you're going to use a scroll, make sure it counts: if you can't stomp the unit you just killed, your opponent may find a way to revive it.

4) Don't send units to die behind enemy lines, unless you see an opportunity to stomp an upgraded/elite unit.

5) Don't use your AoE/missile item unless you're absolutely sure it's worth it.

Maybe these are obvious, maybe it takes the fun out of the game to think this far ahead, but it's certainly true. Most GAFfers have understood this (by themselves, I don't go around teaching basic guidelines), and are now giving me one hell of a hard time. It just takes a little practice.

Up for a dwarf game whenever you want!

Pastry

Banned
I know there is a dev that frequents this thread... There needs to be an indicator when an engineer has an active shield up. It gets
confusing when you have multiple engineers on the field and accidently remove shields because you don't know who has an active one already.

Shaneus

Well, defense indeed work well with the Council team, but I can assure you this is not my go-to strategy; if I use it against you, it's because it's the most efficient... against you. People use different playstyles - I've been rushed, crystal-rushed, attacked on two fronts, and did the same at times. It all depends on the unit/items you get at first, and on the hand your opponent is dealt. You have to react accordingly.

Here is the advice I would give you to make our games more fun. Not saying it applies exclusively to you, but these are mistakes I've witnessed, and that are easily corrected:

1) Swords are incredibly useful. If you're going to give one to a unit, make sure it's going to be worth it, and that said unit is well-protected.

2) Same goes for armor/shields. Don't throw them at units at the beginning of the game, to clear your waiting list. Don't give them to priestesses, unless it's absolutely necessary.

3) If you're going to use a scroll, make sure it counts: if you can't stomp the unit you just killed, your opponent may find a way to revive it.

4) Don't send units to die behind enemy lines, unless you see an opportunity to stomp an upgraded/elite unit.

5) Don't use your AoE/missile item unless you're absolutely sure it's worth it.

Maybe these are obvious, maybe it takes the fun out of the game to think this far ahead, but it's certainly true. Most GAFfers have understood this (by themselves, I don't go around teaching basic guidelines), and are now giving me one hell of a hard time. It just takes a little practice.

Up for a dwarf game whenever you want!
Thanks for that! Apologies for sounding like a right cunt, it was just getting incredibly frustrating! We'll knock over the current one and start a new game soon, but my phone's in a loop (something jailbreak related, I'd guess) so I need to get to work today and do a restore of it. So if it looks like I'm throwing the current game, it's because I am! Unless there's a forfeit option, but I don't recall seeing one.

Thanks for that! Apologies for sounding like a right cunt, it was just getting incredibly frustrating! We'll knock over the current one and start a new game soon, but my phone's in a loop (something jailbreak related, I'd guess) so I need to get to work today and do a restore of it. So if it looks like I'm throwing the current game, it's because I am! Unless there's a forfeit option, but I don't recall seeing one.

There's a "Retire" option in the Menu that you get when you click on the Gear.

Top Bottom