• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Pastry

Banned
Weve had great games that seem to go to the wire. Its hard to kill the crystals when our defenses dont allow it. So it seems to be kill the other players till someone wins. hah

Yeah that is how most of my games go haha I think the wizard is probably the best unit for blasting on crystals. The chain lightning does the job for me most of the time.

And to avoid people dropping only play with people from GAF, I haven't had anyone drop yet. If I know I'm absolutely screwed I will intentionally move to where I will lose but never drop!

Sotha Sil

Yeah that is how most of my games go haha I think the wizard is probably the best unit for blasting on crystals. The chain lightning does the job for me most of the time.

And to avoid people dropping only play with people from GAF, I haven't had anyone drop yet. If I know I'm absolutely screwed I will intentionally move to where I will lose but never drop!
Same, nothing but good games with Gafers so far. As for units, I'd take an archer over a wizard any day. Her range is amazing!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I haven't done any moves for the past couple days, haha. At this rate anyone challenging me will have to spend weeks to finish a game

Spruchy

Does this game have some sort of trueskill system? After going like 20-0 I'm starting to go up against smarter players who aren't as aggressive and are content laming it out. Still can't handle me though ;p

Flunkie

Banned
I haven't done any moves for the past couple days, haha. At this rate anyone challenging me will have to spend weeks to finish a game

Same, lol. I stopped playing Words with Friends because it became too much of a chore. I might see the same situation happen here if I keep playing 20+ games at the same time.

Does this game have some sort of trueskill system? After going like 20-0 I'm starting to go up against smarter players who aren't as aggressive and are content laming it out. Still can't handle me though ;p

No, it does need ELO or some kind of ranking, pronto.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Same, nothing but good games with Gafers so far. As for units, I'd take an archer over a wizard any day. Her range is amazing!

Also, damage is better. But I will say that a pumped up Wizard with triple damage scroll is amazing against groups ^^

zoukka

Mmm the game is losing flavour already on my first day. I like to play daredevil, but it really doesn't do anything in this game. There are now opportunity benefits, only the big picture and keeping those goddamn Ninjas alive :b

Shaneus

Same here. Just started school again so pre-emptive sorrys to those i'm in a game with. :D
Oh, I just thought it was because it looked like I might win ;)

Same, lol. I stopped playing Words with Friends because it became too much of a chore. I might see the same situation happen here if I keep playing 20+ games at the same time.
Yeah, I think I might try to keep it to two or three at a time. Intense when I was playing only against Fox but against that many, it'd be a struggle.
uFL8l.png

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can you stack all buffs or just scrolls?

Swords stack with scrolls.

Fuck Archers. Seriously. I feel like Dark Elves are criminally underpowered. Why is it, that my fully upgraded Tank can be oneshotted by and upgraded archer + scroll. At least make it two shots... And I feel like I have no real damage dealer. These harpooon ladies have such a limited range, that I never feel safe getting them out on the field. And necromancers have pitiful damage output even upgraded :(

Note: this may be posted in a fit of rage

Fuck Archers. Seriously. I feel like Dark Elves are criminally underpowered. Why is it, that my fully upgraded Tank can be oneshotted by and upgraded archer + scroll. At least make it two shots... And I feel like I have no real damage dealer. These harpooon ladies have such a limited range, that I never feel safe getting them out on the field. And necromancers have pitiful damage output even upgraded :(

The elves do feel a bit underpowered. The keys to them are that the Necros have a 3-square attack range which is really handy. It's also nice because you can remote-stomp corpses by turning them into Phantoms (which are useless, but at least making them prevents the corpse from being rez'd). Also the Priestess has a negative buff affect with her attack. She's much more of an attack unit than the human healer is.

Also, the wraith is unstoppable once it eats a few corpses. If you have it in your dock and have a couple of your own corpses out, drop it and eat your own dudes to power it up on turn 1.

And the archer IS overpowered. She deals more damage than any other unit (base is 300) and if you put a sword on her she's a death-dealer in that she can deal 400 damage base AT RANGE. Totally not fair. The elves have no answer to that. If any unit is going to deal 300 damage base it should be the Knight since he knocks units back and as such can't continue to attack without moving in most cases.

Gaaraz

In a game at the moment where I'm utterly screwed in - the other team has a ninja and I have no archers left, and no one with a sword power up. Even though I have more units than him there's absolutely nothing I can do, since he one hits my characters, then switches for an upgraded knight with shield, that takes around 8 hits for me to kill. ;_;

Sotha Sil

And the archer IS overpowered. She deals more damage than any other unit (base is 300) and if you put a sword on her she's a death-dealer in that she can deal 400 damage base AT RANGE. Totally not fair. The elves have no answer to that. If any unit is going to deal 300 damage base it should be the Knight since he knocks units back and as such can't continue to attack without moving in most cases.

While this is true, I'm really warming up to the Dark Elves. The necromancer is really useful, and the health leech allows the player to launch successful one-man operations (the upgraded lancer is deadly) - while the Council troops are pretty much forced to advance in packs (ninja strategies notwithstanding). All in all, I think the Dark Elves are a more subtle bunch, but they sure are powerful. The game is perfectly balanced.

HBP

kapshin #addname

I just started my first game, so send me an invite if you don't mind playing someone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

Shaneus

I'm with you on this one, but once you can knock off the one or two powerful ones (like I've done in one of my current games) it's a massive hill to get over.

Question for everyone: Do you get the same amount of fighters/powerups each game, just in different orders, ie. is it possible to get a team full of archers, scrolls and swords?

Pastry

Banned
I'm with you on this one, but once you can knock off the one or two powerful ones (like I've done in one of my current games) it's a massive hill to get over.

Question for everyone: Do you get the same amount of fighters/powerups each game, just in different orders, ie. is it possible to get a team full of archers, scrolls and swords?
I believe it is the exact same amount of units/items every game just in a random order.

Shaneus

I believe it is the exact same amount of units/items every game just in a random order.
Ah, good to know. Means that if the opponents' stronger units come out first, if you take them out then you won't get them back. I'm looking at the archer and the reviving characters on either side.

Pastry

Banned
Ah, good to know. Means that if the opponents' stronger units come out first, if you take them out then you won't get them back. I'm looking at the archer and the reviving characters on either side.

I just tried to figure out the breakdown of units/items you get, this is what I have (substitute for elves) so far:

3 knights
3 healers
3 archers
3 wizards
1 ninja
2 fireballs
3 swords
3 shields
3 helmets
3 potions

edit: I might be missing one. Maybe an extra fireball or ninja?

robox

I just tried to figure out the breakdown of units/items you get, this is what I have (substitute for elves) so far:

3 knights
3 healers
3 archers
3 wizards
1 ninja
2 fireballs
3 swords
3 shields
3 helmets
3 potions

edit: I might be missing one. Maybe an extra fireball or ninja?

scrolls, x2, i think

waiting for my current game to end. then i may start up a new one. or you can pre-emptively #addme @ crinale

Gaaraz

Oh damn, so the items are fixed? That'd explain why I keep throwing potions into the door and always get potions back :D

@ fanoffippo - if you see this, please just finish me off! You have powered up archers and ninjas, I don't have a single unit who can cause any damage.

@ spaceman74 - fair play, you smashed me. Unsure how I managed to lose two powered up archers and a ninja in a single turn, but damn...! I went from a really strong position to seemingly an unworkable one in one turn.

Shaneus

Awesome game with Jako. Dude must have had twice as many potions, though. I swear his healers were resurrected at LEAST 50 times.

Also, after my first game and this one where I knew what I was doing, it seems that the crystal objective is really quite secondary to killing off everyone, unless your opponent is overly complacent. They have far too much HP for it to be evenly balanced b/w defeating the fighters and destroying the crystal.

Lastly, having the ninja and the good archer on the same team is a bit unbalanced, too. In a game with the same teams it's fine, but in good vs evil, there's a clearly better side.

Jako

Awesome game with Jako. Dude must have had twice as many potions, though. I swear his healers were resurrected at LEAST 50 times.

Also, after my first game and this one where I knew what I was doing, it seems that the crystal objective is really quite secondary to killing off everyone, unless your opponent is overly complacent. They have far too much HP for it to be evenly balanced b/w defeating the fighters and destroying the crystal.

Lastly, having the ninja and the good archer on the same team is a bit unbalanced, too. In a game with the same teams it's fine, but in good vs evil, there's a clearly better side.

Yeah m8, gg! I think potions and items are fixed, they're discussing it in the posts above, stomping the healers is mandatory.

I agree that killing units is better than destroying the crystal/s.

See you in game!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
This game looks like a lot of fun....

...But I still can't get past the choose nickname screen. Entering my standard username here, or anything else, and I simply get the "Oops! The nickname you have entered doesn't appear to be valid. Alpha-numeric, hyphen and underscore. Between 4 and 16 characters" message. I'd love to play it, but the app is essentially completely broken for me.

Talon

This game looks like a lot of fun....

...But I still can't get past the choose nickname screen. Entering my standard username here, or anything else, and I simply get the "Oops! The nickname you have entered doesn't appear to be valid. Alpha-numeric, hyphen and underscore. Between 4 and 16 characters" message. I'd love to play it, but the app is essentially completely broken for me.
Delete and reinstall?

Pastry

Banned
I discovered this when SothaSil used it on me in a game but you can remove corpses by using the fireball. I would assume it also works with the attack the elves have.

I discovered this when SothaSil used it on me in a game but you can remove corpses by using the fireball. I would assume it also works with the attack the elves have.

It does not. The elf area-attack instead rezs all of your dead units and also heals all your other units. It only does damage in a 3x3 grid, but the heal/rez affect hits the whole board.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
t0mat03 #addname

I don't really know what Im doing, but it seems fun enough.

I had a rather interesting Hero Academy related day.

I have a bunch friends playing and I was beating most of them pretty handily so I decided to make a youtube video just giving some basic tips and a look into why I make the moves I do. I CC'd the Hero Academy twitter account when I tweeted it. They retweeted it. I got like 10 new followers (who will likely unfollow soon because im an awful person) and the video got an ok amount of views.

And then one of the randoms I was playing sent me a message saying "Someone sent me a youtube video today and it was yours and I was surprised to find myself in it." And two others said "I saw your video on youtube." They weren't in it. But yeah, those were just random folks, not friends.

And then one of the devs tweeted at me. We chatted a bit. I pointed him to my podcast which he listened to (or atleast the part about Hero Academy) and we had a good back and forth. He said the team was made up of coders from Age of Empire 2/3/4. He also said he gets his ass kicked online - heh.

I dunno, i thought it was neat.

If you care here's the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFM9rrUPVys&list=UUTVb6d8gmC_R3HAzm7Af0Sg&index=1&feature=plcp *yes, i need a tripod*

You can skip to the 1 min mark, the first min is me just pimping my podcast like a tool.

And here's my twitter account, @coolrig is the HA dev.

https://twitter.com/#!/ForyourPeteDodd

I got over 10 challenges today and now i feel all this pressure to be good because I made a video... and i'm really not that good, it's just that my friends are terrible :p

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Well, I just downloaded the game and am amidst my first two games. I can already tell this'll be what sparks a ton more use in my iPhone outside of e-mails and Twitter. Feel free to send me requests; doubt I'm going to be anything past terrible, but practice is always a good thing!

KrayzeeGloo #addname

KooPaL

Hi everyone! Please add me to the list and although I am still learning, I am getting really addicted to it. Hopefully they release more characters / teams so we can see diverse team setups and strategies. How do you people deal with wraiths by the way? It seems like that one time I played a Dark Elf team I got completely smashed (although I do get smashed on a regular basis lol).

Pastry

Banned
Hi everyone! Please add me to the list and although I am still learning, I am getting really addicted to it. Hopefully they release more characters / teams so we can see diverse team setups and strategies. How do you people deal with wraiths by the way? It seems like that one time I played a Dark Elf team I got completely smashed (although I do get smashed on a regular basis lol).

Try and take the wraith out as early as you can. The longer it stays out there the more screwed you are. Fully upgraded wraith >>>> fully upgraded ninja

Great little game, but this matching style is terrible, you shouldn't be allowed to play more than one game at a time, they should've kept this simple, Carcassonne style! Also, it severely needs to get AI opponents.

Wrekt

I'm pretty competitive with everyone except for Sothasil. It seems like he has a neverending supply of archers and swords. My opening hand against him is always like 3 clerics, 2 health pots and a wizard.

Sotha Sil

I'm pretty competitive with everyone except for Sothasil. It seems like he has a neverending supply of archers and swords. My opening hand against him is always like 3 clerics, 2 health pots and a wizard.

Well, it really depends. I'm playing against Jako right now, and I had no archers, no clerics and no swords for a few turns; it's indeed quite difficult to fight off good units when you're out of luck. I can play with the Dark Elves if you want (I'm usually on random)!

AEREC

Just played my first game today (and bought the DE team to get rid of the ads)...great game so far. One question though...are there no stats?

Pastry

Banned
Just played my first game today (and bought the DE team to get rid of the ads)...great game so far. One question though...are there no stats?

Not yet, they are looking into it according to theit Twitter. They are keeping an eye on them for balance at least. So far first to go wins like 52% of the time and the elves win like 51% of the time. Pretty balanced in that regard.

Mr YuYu

For whom i am playing a game with at the moment. I'm playing this on my ipod touch so i will not be able to continue everytime. I'll do my best to play as fast as possible!!

Awesome game btw!

Top Bottom