• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Pastry

Banned
I'm definitely in. Mandatory teams? I'd have no problem either way, but some still argue that the humans are overpowered.

I don't think a team requirement would be necessary, I feel like most people playing are aware of the pros and cons of each team at this point. Plus I'll probably play random anyway haha

I'm going to assume that works as I have no idea how these things work.

Also, you're totally clobbering me, Beatris.

The Double elimination could work, we would just need everybody to be participating over one weekend and keeping in touch on gaf after every match so that we can make sure it moves smoothly.

If the first tourney works out, on the second one we could play only Council teams, or only Dark Elves teams. Just to see the flow of how each team operates stacked head to head.

I almost exclusively use the Council team because, I feel most comfortable with that team right now.

Shaneus

I'd be in, but I know I'll get my arse handed to me anyway.

Do people around here ever go 100% random or do they pick a specific side? I almost always seem to get the elves :(

Pastry

Banned
I'd be in, but I know I'll get my arse handed to me anyway.

Do people around here ever go 100% random or do they pick a specific side? I almost always seem to get the elves :(

I swear that random is busted sometimes. I get the elves like 75% of the time I use random.

ultron87

Is it bad that I'm just instantly imagining the myriad of ways dwarves could be overpowered? Probably from too much Starcraft.

But seriously, a healing/rezzing tank? Ridiculous.

Sotha Sil

Is it bad that I'm just instantly imagining the myriad of ways dwarves could be overpowered?

Probably from too much Starcraft.

But seriously, a healing/rezzing tank? Ridiculous.
Thought the same thing at first, but we're dealing with a smart developer here; pretty sure these new abilities will come with downsides (no way to stomp corpses at range, etc.) Well, I hope.

TommyT

Sotha Sil, did you randomly challenge me to a game yesterday?

edit: Sorry, not taking on any new games. Finishing the ones I have before uninstalling.

lets do a tourney soon so when the dwarves drop we have some of the kinks ironed out. I can start plugging in players names today and possibly have the layout done tomorrow morning, at which point we can maybe get some more players. If all goes well we can start on Saturday morning and try to have it wrapped up on sunday night?

Pastry

Banned
lets do a tourney soon so when the dwarves drop we have some of the kinks ironed out. I can start plugging in players names today and possibly have the layout done tomorrow morning, at which point we can maybe get some more players. If all goes well we can start on Saturday morning and try to have it wrapped up on sunday night?

That sounds awesome to me, I'll actually be very available this weekend if we have the tourney then.

TommyT

Just have it be the first 8 people to post that they want to play. Mix the order, and those are your matches.

Tourny starts at a certain time (ie - odd people challenge your even number opponent).
Tourny ends by a certain time.
*Matches have time limits - prevents turtling and moves the matches along.
*Certain length of time with no move disqualifies you, unless agreed upon in game.
- "going to bed"
- "can't play at work unless in the crapper"
- "wife wants marathon of sex"
- etc.
Either race is playable.
Winner gets a prize.

*these shouldn't really be necessary, but prevents someone from throwing the tournament off.

edit: To make this fun, I'll put up a prize - Steam game (I need to check my coupons so there might be a higher limit) of your choice under $25, or iOS game of your choice under $20 or something.

I will NOT be playing.

Pastry

Banned
I was going to say we could have the prize be an avatar pack in-game or the alternate colors but you can't gift IAP boo

Wrekt

I'd like to be in it but I'll be at the in-laws house this weekend and I'm unsure of the 3g service where they live.

Wrekt

ohhhhh
That's exactly what he did. Is there any other new shit I should know about?

I don't know what you already know, so here is all the non-obvious stuff for newer players:

Ninjas can switch spots with other friendly units.
Elven priests put a 50% attack debuff on enemies when they hit them (that lasts 1 hit.)
Elf monks hit the two spaces to the side of their main target, and 1 space behind him (so you hit 4 tiles at once.)
Wraiths can eat both enemy and friendly corpses to grow.
Elven necromancers can raise friendly corpses as well.
The council fire both damages enemies and burns up enemy corpses.
The elven fire resurrects all of your incapped friendly units.
Grown up wraiths do their "scroll hit" every time they attack while on a sword tile.

And the most important tip:

Always play council and all upgrades go to Archers.

Shaneus

And the most important tip:

Always play council and all upgrades go to Archers.
I actually try to avoid rushing in games and always go random. It's just a shame that majority of games I play the opposition tends to get a better dice roll first round than I (or I'm just really, really shit... but I doubt it).

Fixed this for you.
I actually found in one of my current games that there's only some units that can't do distant attacks over a jewel, which resulted in me losing a fully powered-up ninja. That was fucking painful :(

Sotha Sil

I actually found in one of my current games that there's only some units that can't do distant attacks over a jewel, which resulted in me losing a fully powered-up ninja. That was fucking painful :(

Was it against me? If so, I think all units can attack over their jewels, but not over the opponent's. That's why your ninja wasn't able to target the necromancer, while the necromancer was able to kill him.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
paulsancheezzee #addname

:D

I didn't realize there was a community thread on this. This game has completely taken over my free time. The last game that did this was Jetpack Joyride. I'm definitely enjoying this game!!

AWWW HAW HAW HAW HAW YEAHHHHH!!!!

FINALLY beat SothaSil!!!!

I had him down to like one more hit on the last crystal, and he goes for his tried and true (and usually successful) surround it with bodies. I was forlorn, did a turn of like five Archer moves to try and get around the back way, was about to hit Send until I noticed, oh, hello.

FLAME.

Saunter my (LOL) Healer to the crystal boost, drop the Flame directly onto the crystal.

Submit Victory.

Sub.

Mit.

Victory.

GG, SS!!!!

Sotha Sil

I had him down to like one more hit on the last crystal, and he goes for his tried and true (and usually successful) surround it with bodies. I was forlorn, did a turn of like five Archer moves to try and get around the back way, was about to hit Send until I noticed, oh, hello.

FLAME.

Saunter my (LOL) Healer to the crystal boost, drop the Flame directly onto the crystal.

Submit Victory.

Sub.

Mit.

Victory.

GG, SS!!!!
I was about to post about your amazing strategy, saw the thread at the top of my Suscribed folder, and instantly knew it was you bragging about it! Damn yooouuu! Awesome mage combo.

I was about to post about your amazing strategy, saw the thread at the top of my Suscribed folder, and instantly knew it was you bragging about it! Damn yooouuu! Awesome mage combo.

I wish I'd had it all thought out but if I hadn't had that Flame you really might have outlasted me.

But yeah, I've definitely shifted to a Mage friendly strategy lately, especially because spreading out the damage can sometimes eat up precious turns for your opponent.

I think now we have two games going!

Rematch Hungry!

Pastry

Banned

FLAME.

Submit Victory.

Sub.

Mit.

Victory.

GG, SS!!!!

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was getting destroyed by SothaSil haha. Took me forever to finally win and funnily enough it came down to me destroying his crystal with my last knight.

edit: And yeah the mage is really useful for slowly whittling down their health. Eventually they have to start picking who to heal or waste their whole turn healing everyone.

Top Bottom