• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Sotha Sil

Ah, yeah, what Benjamin said. Sounds good, see you soon.

In other news, I don't like the dwarves that much. Probably because I haven't come up with strategies yet, and most of the efficient tactics involve brute force (rush-rush-rush, missile-missile-missile). Hope I'll learn to like them, though! What do you guys think?

Shaneus

In other news, I don't like the dwarves that much. Probably because I haven't come up with strategies yet, and most of the efficient tactics involve brute force (rush-rush-rush, missile-missile-missile). Hope I'll learn to like them, though! What do you guys think?
You haven't come up with any strategies yet? Shit, I'd better start a match then ;)

Pastry

Banned

I think I like the Dwarves a lot actually. The gunner is a lot more versatile than the other ranged units. Here are some tips for anyone that is having trouble with them.

• The gunner is using a shotgun so from point blank his damage is high but no spread, from one tile away he has spread but lower damage.
  • Their attack item has high damage so save it to use on the enemy super unit or a fully upgraded one.
  • Use rockets to spread enemy units around, they will have to rearrange.
  • Fully upgraded Dwarves are hard to kill on defensive tiles because of team boost to special tiles.

Sotha Sil

I think I like the Dwarves a lot actually. The gunner is a lot more versatile than the other ranged units. Here are some tips for anyone that is having trouble with them.

• The gunner is using a shotgun so from point blank his damage is high but no spread, from one tile away he has spread but lower damage.
  • Their attack item has high damage so save it to use on the enemy super unit or a fully upgraded one.
  • Use rockets to spread enemy units around, they will have to rearrange.
  • Fully upgraded Dwarves are hard to kill on defensive tiles because of team boost to special tiles.
Good points. I think I'm warming up to them. Not being able to spell/flame-stomp enemies is unsettling at first, but it's definitely a breath of fresh air.

Every team has an ability unique to them. The Council has healing bonuses, the Elves have extra immunity to magic and the Dwarves get extra bonus from the special tiles (I have no idea how much extra though).

Oh I thought you meant like one Dwarf could stand on a Sword tile and the whole team gets the bonus.

Sotha Sil

I just can't manage to get a paladin before the end of my dwarf games. Three times in a row now. Oh, dear revive items; you are sorely missed.

Pastry

Banned
Sorry if I'm not playing at all for a bit. My iPhone 4 just suddenly stopped working. I can call it and it'll ring like it is on but nothing happens. No ring, no vibrate, screen won't turn on :( Didn't even drop it, it just like died on me haha

TechSamurai

Neo Member
Well, it had to happen eventually :lol
Ovd2F.png

So much strategy in that game, and it ended like that... Fun game.

Oh man-I just got into this today. Needless to say I am now hopelessly addicted. I'm going to hit up the names in this thread for games too.

#addname mikeydavis

Shaneus

Apologies on the lack of response from me, guys... just had different priorities over the last few days. So much so I haven't even played a game with the new characters in it at all! But soon :)

hulot

So I've been playing this a lot but randoms just aren't cutting it anymore talent-wise.

hulot #addname

Also, ever since the update, the app crashes a lot on my iTouch4, any one else with the same issue?

Pastry

Banned
I totally suck at this game. I can barely get any wins (been playing for less than a week). It's disheartening.

The learning curve is super steep. Are you playing random games or against GAF? I feel like the latter might be a little more intense, maybe hone your skills with random first?

The learning curve is super steep. Are you playing random games or against GAF? I feel like the latter might be a little more intense, maybe hone your skills with random first?

A mixture of both. I'm learning from my losses though. A common mistake I've made is to not guard my crystals...

I've found myself in the position of being the one to try and push forward first just in the interest of stirring things up a bit. But, this strategy usually leaves me vulnerable. I need to figure out a way to do it a bit better. Otherwise, the games seem like both teams are just shuffling pieces around.

I've only played one random game. I think playing with GAF people is a better bet since we're all pretty sound players and you can learn from your losses. I'm better than I used to be but I still hit Check/Send and then a second later realize a mistake I made. Next time I'm in that situation, I usually do better.

Pastry

Banned
I've only played one random game. I think playing with GAF people is a better bet since we're all pretty sound players and you can learn from your losses. I'm better than I used to be but I still hit Check/Send and then a second later realize a mistake I made. Next time I'm in that situation, I usually do better.

You're probably right, I would imagine people from GAF are also more willing to answer questions in game.

I consistently send moves and immediately realize how dumb it was. It usually involves me making the wrong final move for that turn, I try and move away from the unit that is the most immediate threat and I end up sitting right in the cross hairs of another more deadly unit.

Shaneus

You're probably right, I would imagine people from GAF are also more willing to answer questions in game.

I consistently send moves and immediately realize how dumb it was. It usually involves me making the wrong final move for that turn, I try and move away from the unit that is the most immediate threat and I end up sitting right in the cross hairs of another more deadly unit.
You have no idea how many times bad phone reception has saved me in situations like this ;)

Honestly, it's a lot better playing against people you can chat with outside the game. I would've just stopped playing completely if Sotha didn't reply to my whiny post with some helpful pointers. Even though we're all fighting each other, it's (hopefully) all with the main goal of just becoming better players and having some epic battles.

And if somehow I manage to beat you (collective-GAF) hopefully you learn from it rather than becoming a sourpuss like I have been on more than a few occasions :lol

You have no idea how many times bad phone reception has saved me in situations like this ;)

Honestly, it's a lot better playing against people you can chat with outside the game. I would've just stopped playing completely if Sotha didn't reply to my whiny post with some helpful pointers. Even though we're all fighting each other, it's (hopefully) all with the main goal of just becoming better players and having some epic battles.

And if somehow I manage to beat you (collective-GAF) hopefully you learn from it rather than becoming a sourpuss like I have been on more than a few occasions :lol

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've really fallen for this game hard with the latest updates. The idea of regular additions of teams potentially forever is just such an amazing thought.

Shaneus

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've really fallen for this game hard with the latest updates. The idea of regular additions of teams potentially forever is just such an amazing thought.
Hit me up if you like! I have a bazillion (9) games on the go at the moment (I expect a few to shut off once the expiring thing kicks in) but always welcome another. Also, my internet is capped right now and it would almost literally be impossible for me to look up your HA name ;)

Hit me up if you like! I have a bazillion (9) games on the go at the moment (I expect a few to shut off once the expiring thing kicks in) but always welcome another. Also, my internet is capped right now and it would almost literally be impossible for me to look up your HA name ;)

I'm KidInsomnia! We've been playing for a few days now!

;D

EDIT:
I just sent some of you guys some invitations-I'm mikeydavis

Tangeroo

I have no idea what those two are referring to. Those two are pit vipers in the arena.

To be clear, that's not sarcasm. I play those two VERY cautiously for that reason.

Shaneus

I'm KidInsomnia! We've been playing for a few days now!

;D
Ahahahahahahaha, oh shit. There you go!

Finally getting the hang of the dwarves now. Given I'm partial to attacking rather than defending (ADHD, I tell you... it's like that in all games I play. Rarely ever block or camp or hide) I'm finding them a lot more enjoyable to play with. Probably won't pay off long-term, but still fun to slaughter folks with.

Top Bottom