• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

TommyT

Great Game, Sotha.

I need to post a screenshot of this game I'm playing now with a guy called RedSmith. He's just totally surrounding his crystal and not moving at all. How fun.

For people that did that, I found that it took about 3 or 4 turns of setting up a proper long term strategy to break it. Often you have to bait them, and if they don't take the bait, still be able to punish.

A big thing strategically is not to forget healers cannot heal themselves directly. Also, depending on the stage of the game and the units available, it's often worth it to sacrifice a hero or two (non important ones) to stomp a healer.

Here is the screenshot in question:

39f37a9a.jpg

TommyT

Here is the screenshot in question:

39f37a9a.jpg

Good Lord... first off, how do you let the game get to that point with him getting so many units!?

Anyway, kill the ninja, then use the flame or stomp him if you want to sacrifice someone.

Few options, mostly dependent on how he's used his scrolls so far:

Otherwise get a healer in position with 1 square separation behind your knight and move him forward two squares so arrows won't hit the caster you're going to move up eventually two squares. When that's set up (and preferably while you have a scroll) walk behind the crystal and start attacking the knight. If you hit the healer behind him, repeat this until it's dead. He'll have to either burn pots or get his other healer on the move, in which case will leave it open to death.

Once the healers are dead, just turtle your own crystals and kill his guys one by one. Just make sure your healers don't die.

edit: Looks like he's content on not killing your crystals, otherwise I'd say leave it open to bait. You're going to need to spend probably 3 turns to set this up depending on what you have left.

First priority is the ninja though. You could buff your own ninja so that he can move up, 2-shot someone, stomp, then move/port back.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Same here... I just took my turn in five games and then thought "Back to work".

Hero Academy immediately chimes, and I am back on my iPhone...

I just got out of a meeting, replied to 6 different games, started to reply to some emails and received 3 more notifications. Gotta love it

Shaneus

Man, awesome AWESOME game just finished this morning with Jako. It's far better to play against the same group of people over and over, where you get to learn their techniques and better yourself in the process. I'd imagine that with randoms, before you had a chance to learn their techniques you'd either get trounced or be able to trounce them. That doesn't sound like fun, and you'd create a sore loser in the process.

On that note, it should be decided here that (at least with GAFfers) it's only the loser who should initiate a rematch (or not). Otherwise everyone will be ending up with parallel matches and not out there fighting new people. I have one or two on the go ATM and that's fine, but it should be something we try to stick to, IMO.

On that note, it should be decided here that (at least with GAFfers) it's only the loser who should initiate a rematch (or not). Otherwise everyone will be ending up with parallel matches and not out there fighting new people. I have one or two on the go ATM and that's fine, but it should be something we try to stick to, IMO.

Smart idea.

Jako

Man, awesome AWESOME game just finished this morning with Jako. It's far better to play against the same group of people over and over, where you get to learn their techniques and better yourself in the process. I'd imagine that with randoms, before you had a chance to learn their techniques you'd either get trounced or be able to trounce them. That doesn't sound like fun, and you'd create a sore loser in the process.

Yeah! That was awesome!

And I agree on the rematch thing (for obvious reasons!)

Kunohara

Been playing this for awhile now, and after several matches with randoms, I think I'd rather play against you guys. Bought the dwarves and elves when they came out, and I am hooked.

Kunohara #addme

Been playing this for awhile now, and after several matches with randoms, I think I'd rather play against you guys. Bought the dwarves and elves when they came out, and I am hooked.

Leutgreen #addme (I assume we are posting Gamecenter names right? Cause my in-game name on Hero's is Kunohara)

In game names. I don't think you can do matchmaking for this game through Game Center.

Kunohara #addme

Tried this game for the first time yesterday and I'm really enjoying it.

Just added you.

Shaneus

Kunohara #addme
Yeah, playing regularly against people allows you to learn techniques and discover established weaknesses... ones you wouldn't be able to pick up on against random players. Big hint though: Look out for the brick-wall tactic when playing against the council. A lot of people are fans of upgrading knights, healing with the princess and pushing through, then swapping with the ninja for easy attacks. If it gets to a point where there's a princess and an armoured knight in close proximity and a ninja's *anywhere* on the field, it's as good as over.

Sometimes it can just come down to the luck of the draw with what characters you get in the first few turns. I always seem to get shit ones :/

Kunohara

Yeah, playing regularly against people allows you to learn techniques and discover weaknesses. Big hint though: Look out for the brick-wall tactic when playing against the council. A lot of people are fans of upgrading knights, healing with the princess and pushing through, then swapping with the ninja for easy attacks. If it gets to a point where there's a princess and an armoured knight in close proximity and a ninja's *anywhere* on the field, it's as good as over.

Sometimes it can just come down to the luck of the draw with what characters you get in the first few turns. I always seem to get shit ones :/

Heh, I use the same tactic when playing as council. It doesn't always work though (luck of the draw is the biggest one for me, I seem to have bad luck with it as well).

Pastry

Banned
Yeah, playing regularly against people allows you to learn techniques and discover established weaknesses... ones you wouldn't be able to pick up on against random players. Big hint though: Look out for the brick-wall tactic when playing against the council. A lot of people are fans of upgrading knights, healing with the princess and pushing through, then swapping with the ninja for easy attacks. If it gets to a point where there's a princess and an armoured knight in close proximity and a ninja's *anywhere* on the field, it's as good as over.

The only thing I have found that works in that situation is to sacrifice a unit or two to setup the ninja kill. There really isn't another way around that. It's a bit easier to handle now that the knights had their HP decreased some.

Tangeroo

Not gonna lie. I feel pretty guilty about that last game Sotha Sil. I believed in the heart of the cards and got the final draw I needed. :p

Sotha Sil

Not gonna lie. I feel pretty guilty about that last game Sotha Sil. I believed in the heart of the cards and got the final draw I needed. :p
I was waiting for the second scroll to come up, and it did... In the last turn :) Victory was so close! Great game.

Pastry

Banned
:0

Link? (Mainly to hear anything about the new team.)

It was posted on their Twitter. They didn't talk about it at all just that the iPad update was nearly complete along with the new team. You can see their Twitter feed in-app.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new team will be Orcs. If you go to the page where you purchase avatars and scroll down the shadow of the avatar near 'Coming Soon' sure does look like an orc.

Sotha Sil

It was posted on their Twitter. They didn't talk about it at all just that the iPad update was nearly complete along with the new team. You can see their Twitter feed in-app.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new team will be Orcs. If you go to the page where you purchase avatars and scroll down the shadow of the avatar near 'Coming Soon' sure does look like an orc.
Damn, great news!

I think I'm burning out on this game. I'm on a tremendous losing streak. Just can seem to win no matter what. Maybe I'm just playing against people above my skill level.

Shaneus

I think I'm burning out on this game. I'm on a tremendous losing streak. Just can seem to win no matter what. Maybe I'm just playing against people above my skill level.
I'm sorta the same... have an okay run, then get all flustered and lose massively a bunch of times. Especially frustrating when you just have a shit run with dice rolls and item dropping that results in the same items (usually shields and potions) coming back repeatedly. I don't know if all rolls are weighted or not (I know the first roll has to have at least *one* character appear) but it sure as shit feels like they're weighted AGAINST the player most of the time :/

I'm sorta the same... have an okay run, then get all flustered and lose massively a bunch of times. Especially frustrating when you just have a shit run with dice rolls and item dropping that results in the same items (usually shields and potions) coming back repeatedly. I don't know if all rolls are weighted or not (I know the first roll has to have at least *one* character appear) but it sure as shit feels like they're weighted AGAINST the player most of the time :/

I get those too. I'll get a Priest, and like 2 fireballs, a potion, a sword and a helmet, etc. I'm like-wtf?!?!

Shaneus

As well as that, and I know I shouldn't bitch, but I swear the last five new games I've kicked off have all "randomly" chosen my team as the Council. There's something seriously broken with whatever algorithm they're using for all their random stuff (team selection, opening hands, item replacements) to give such consistently un-random results.

Top Bottom