• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Sotha Sil

I'm a fan already. Lots of new strategies to try. I really love how they think.

Oh, and I really can't wait for this universal iPad update!

Kunohara

It's instant KO for weakened characters though. Basically just saving like one turn.

It's for characters below 50%. I'd say that is pretty significant. Weakened would be under 20% I'd say.

Also having two super units on hand, and a healer that heals multiple units sounds pretty nuts to me.

I like the sound of the new map though.

And jesus christ Shaneus, I thought I was doing so well in that last game. Had my ninja out fully decked out and shit. Then you spring those two fucking drills on my last crystal.

It is really disheartening playing you and SothaSil. And yet when I play randoms, I have guys that will literally move one guy forwards and backwards and not do a thing, and end their turn. I always get the extremes either way.

Sotha Sil

It is really disheartening playing you and SothaSil. And yet when I play randoms, I have guys that will literally move one guy forwards and backwards and not do a thing, and end their turn. I always get the extremes either way.

I know how you feel, but keep playing; some randoms are pretty damn good. Plus you're definitely one of the best Gafers around!

It's for characters below 50%. I'd say that is pretty significant. Weakened would be under 20% I'd say.

Also having two super units on hand, and a healer that heals multiple units sounds pretty nuts to me.

I like the sound of the new map though.

And jesus christ Shaneus, I thought I was doing so well in that last game. Had my ninja out fully decked out and shit. Then you spring those two fucking drills on my last crystal.

Same here-I don't think I can play you guys any more. I need some wins to cheer me up.

Shaneus

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten I hadn't seen the drills until the last roll and they both came up in that one turn. But I think you've beaten me every other time, haven't you?
I still struggle against Sotha and Tangerine though... but I keep playing them not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but you gots to learn somehow, right? ;)

I'm pretty sure with the majority of people here, I'm at least evenly matched or worse as far as wins/losses go. So if I've beaten you recently, chances are I'll lose the next one :/

Sotha Sil

Same here-I don't think I can play you guys any more. I need some wins to cheer me up.

Play against randoms, it's pretty refreshing - and sometimes even interesting. Some are so bad that you know you're in for a boring game (as Kunohara pointed out: wasted movements, armored/sworded medics...), some are blatantly good, and some are quite deceiving (an apparently poor strategy that quickly turns into a crystal-mashing bulldozer - Benjamin Birdie beat me this way a few weeks back).

People are getting better, and it shows. Can't wait for the new team!

Play against randoms, it's pretty refreshing - and sometimes even interesting. Some are so bad that you know you're in for a boring game (as Kunohara pointed out: wasted movements, armored/sworded medics...), some are blatantly good, and some are quite deceiving (an apparently poor strategy that quickly turns into a crystal-mashing bulldozer - Benjamin Birdie beat me this way a few weeks back).

It seems like the bad players just never finish games-and the good players just trounce me. So I only win by resignations or inactivity.

:/

Pastry

Banned
New attack item for the Tribes is (from the HA forums):

http://www.robotentertainment.com/forum/topic/Tribe-0#comment-53728 said:
The blue spell is a Typhoon. You drop it on the map, and it sends huge typhoon waves outward in each direction from that vertical row of squares. Enemy units are pushed from that origin point accordingly. If someone's getting all up in your grill, you can kick their whole team back a bit. ;)

Shaneus

Yeah, it's definitely good to play against randoms to mix it up. I think of GAF as my quasi-tourney league and randoms as my training ground.

Kunohara

To be honest, I'd completely forgotten I hadn't seen the drills until the last roll and they both came up in that one turn. But I think you've beaten me every other time, haven't you?
I still struggle against Sotha and Tangerine though... but I keep playing them not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but you gots to learn somehow, right? ;)

I'm pretty sure with the majority of people here, I'm at least evenly matched or worse as far as wins/losses go. So if I've beaten you recently, chances are I'll lose the next one :/

You've beaten me every time. Same with SothaSil. I'm surprised you lose. You really seem to know what you are doing every turn. Can't say the same about me.

Vyer

Sorry to those I've been playing. I've been slacking off a bit. I'll try and catch up, especially once the update hits!

Shaneus

You've beaten me every time. Same with SothaSil. I'm surprised you lose. You really seem to know what you are doing every turn. Can't say the same about me.
Nah man, I consistently lose to Tanger...something and Sotha. Everyone else I'm 50/50. At the risk of sounding full of myself, I'd be more than happy to talk you through a few games or offer pointers if you'd like. Better that than you not playing at all!

Warning though: I can be a chatty bastard on there.

Sotha Sil

Pretty interesting post from one of the devs:

The Tribe is definitely the most unique team we've put together to date. Their "deck" isn't quite put together like the other teams are. For example, they have a shield and sword upgrade, but no helm. And as I mentioned in the blog post, instead of scrolls and healing potions, they have four hocks of meat that both heal and supercharge them.
Virtually everything they do, even defending, is about attacking. Their armor upgrade actually deflects some of the damage back to the attacker. And wait until you see the Chieftan's whirlwind attack ;)

No helmets, reflective armors... sounds really different. Nice.

Sotha Sil

I cling to my one Sotha victory. It's clear it will never happen again.

It will if you stop giving swords to your spirit monks! We all know swords are for necromancers and lancers. Monks are just pesky trouble-makers.

Then again, the last time I told you not to give swords to some units, I shed a few bitter tears.

It will if you stop giving swords to your spirit monks! We all know swords are for necromancers and lancers. Monks are just pesky trouble-makers.

Then again, the last time I told you not to give swords to some units, I shed a few bitter tears.

Ha! Yeah, Elves are my weakest team.

Shaneus

Ha! Yeah, Elves are my weakest team.
I suspect they may be mine as well, but for some reason I prefer playing with them than almost any other team. In fact, just about the only team I feel slightly dismayed with getting when picking a random side is the Council. Very weird.

Sotha Sil

I suspect they may be mine as well, but for some reason I prefer playing with them than almost any other team. In fact, just about the only team I feel slightly dismayed with getting when picking a random side is the Council. Very weird.

That's pretty much how I feel. The Council is a strong, fine team, but they're very... vanilla. The Dark Elves are quirky, and I love them for it.

That's pretty much how I feel. The Council is a strong, fine team, but they're very... vanilla. The Dark Elves are quirky, and I love them for it.

WIZARD 4EVA.

Also thanks to the achievement, I fully upped a Knight and realized what a fucking beast it is when you do that.

luvucounci

Pastry

Banned
WIZARD 4EVA.

Also thanks to the achievement, I fully upped a Knight and realized what a fucking beast it is when you do that.

luvucounci

Wizard is probably my favorite unit, chain lightning is perfect for just about any scenario :D

But Dwarves are definetly my favorite team so far, might be the explosions!

Sotha Sil

Wizard is probably my favorite unit, chain lightning is perfect for just about any scenario :D

But Dwarves are definetly my favorite team so far, might be the explosions!
The grenadier is so damn cool. Hate those damn wizards, though. So many painful memories...

Shaneus

Damn right I took a fucking screenshot.
img_2120fpbk2.png

Shaneus

Paladins, engineers and beers for five damn consecutive turns. How do you recover from that? HOW? (great game ;) )
Yeah, it's usually only ever shit rolls that either make or break a game for me. I hope with the next update some of the "randomness" is tweaked because there's some seriously shit openings I've had.

Sotha Sil

Hey guys,

There will be full balance notes when we release the next update, but for now I will say that these units will all be receiving a boost:

Gunner
Paladin
Engineer
Pulverizer

There will be a few other fixes/changes to the existing teams as well.

Just read this on the official forum; interesting! I'll say that the gunner needs a boost, at least.

Shaneus

Yeah, they're really shit like that. For a team that focuses so damn heavily on ranged attacks, how can the other players be so gimped?

It probably doesn't mean much, but FWIW I don't consider it a proper victory when coming up against a team like that coupled with a bad roll or two.

Unless it's against Sotha, in which case I'll take whatever the fuck I can get ;)

Engineers need some kind of boost. They're practically worthless.
To an extent I agree, they're really only any good if you get a decent roll at the start and can rush kill your opponent's team before they have a chance to armour up. So on the single-gem playfield they're quite fun because the gems are in such close proximity, but at any other arena they're quite hard to get an advantage with.

To an extent I agree, they're really only any good if you get a decent roll at the start and can rush kill your opponent's team before they have a chance to armour up. So on the single-gem playfield they're quite fun because the gems are in such close proximity, but at any other arena they're quite hard to get an advantage with.

They make good Crystal Square Sitters and that's about it. One thing I will say about them and also Valkyries is that they at least do enough damage to kill someone in close proximity in one round, as opposed to some other race's losers.

Shaneus

They make good Crystal Square Sitters and that's about it. One thing I will say about them and also Valkyries is that they at least do enough damage to kill someone in close proximity in one round, as opposed to some other race's losers.
Ah, um... my mistake with that post. I was more referring to the dwarves as a whole, not just the engineers. But the point still stands with those too, it just extends to the rest of their race ;)

dorn.

Damn right I took a fucking screenshot.
img_2120fpbk2.png

Not that I'd want to lessen your victory, but that map is insanely in favor of the council, especially against dwarves. Dwarves really need more attacks that push back, the only unit with that ability is the destroyer and even that only works for indirect hits. Once you have a fully upgraded knight on the boost, you've more or less won against dwarves.

Sotha Sil

Not that I'd want to lessen your victory, but that map is insanely in favor of the council, especially against dwarves. Dwarves really need more attacks that push back, the only unit with that ability is the destroyer and even that only works for indirect hits. Once you have a fully upgraded knight on the boost, you've more or less won against dwarves.

It was more of an unlucky starter draw issue, but I agree. Hope the gunner/engineer boost will change that!

Shaneus

If you'd read my previous comments about that arena a little while back and the post directly after, you'd see that I don't especially like it and that win was largely dependent on some really unlucky rolls on Sotha's side.

Trust me, I'm well aware of my lack of victories against him, but I appreciate you pointing out the fact it was an easy win. Cheers.

dorn.

If you'd read my previous comments about that arena a little while back and the post directly after, you'd see that I don't especially like it and that win was largely dependent on some really unlucky rolls on Sotha's side.

Trust me, I'm well aware of my lack of victories against him, but I appreciate you pointing out the fact it was an easy win. Cheers.

Woah easy there, I didn't mean it like that. I just saw the picture and wanted to make the point that not necessarily the engineers are the dwarves' weak point but the inability to push people off of booster tiles and that map is all about controlling both boosters.

Sotha Sil

Woah easy there, I didn't mean it like that. I just saw the picture and wanted to make the point that not necessarily the engineers are the dwarves' weak point but the inability to push people off of booster tiles and that map is all about controlling both boosters.

I still usually win with the Dwarves on this map, though it's indeed more difficult. He acted quickly and didn't give me a chance to defend the crystal. Well played, regardless of teams and maps! :)

Can't wait for the Tribe!

Pastry

Banned
The worst part about a new team being released is waiting for my current games with y'all to finish before I can play as the new team :( Too many games going on to bother with random!

Cross-posting from the iOS thread:

Add me, if you're new to the game:
GC: Glass Rebel GAF
HA: GlassRebel

But it seems to be processed for the update right now.

#addname

Top Bottom