• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Anilusion

Nome, would it be possible for you to add (or exchange silver for) 15 gold coins to my account so I could buy the Jeraziah skin? <3

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Thanks for giving out coins to the IHL Nome.

Also, thanks for the free icon.
I know you had a hand in that Alienware Icon.

Dreavus

Does anyone have any tips for Geomancer (those who got him anyways)? I feel like he's too squishy for laning and both times I've played I just get shit on from the very beginning, even with say, a VJ lane partner. I know he's supposed to be a ganker but if I'm in an aggressive side-line I get very little farm. Am I supposed to go mid with him? take the pull lane instead? His third skill is cool for damage until they get boots then it's useless for harassing.

Even if I get the ol' stun + slow I just get nuked to hell once they come out of it since I'm right on top of them. I've just about given up on him and I've only played 2 games. :(

Nome

Anilusion said:
Nome, would it be possible for you to add (or exchange silver for) 15 gold coins to my account so I could buy the Jeraziah skin? <3
Assuming your HoN account is also "Anilusion", yeah, just gave you 15.

TBH, I don't play too much HoN outside of work. It's that feeling you know, working with something every day for 10 hours, by the time you get home you just want to take a break and mess around with something else. I'm also finding it very disheartening going to our official forums, lol. I can see why people are upset though. I'm upset too at all the problems we've been having lately. The good part is that a big part of the so-called "HoN 3.0" will be to fix and optimize a lot of problems people have.

Guesong

Dreavus said:
Does anyone have any tips for Geomancer (those who got him anyways)? I feel like he's too squishy for laning and both times I've played I just get shit on from the very beginning, even with say, a VJ lane partner. I know he's supposed to be a ganker but if I'm in an aggressive side-line I get very little farm. Am I supposed to go mid with him? take the pull lane instead? His third skill is cool for damage until they get boots then it's useless for harassing.

Even if I get the ol' stun + slow I just get nuked to hell once they come out of it since I'm right on top of them. I've just about given up on him and I've only played 2 games. :(

As I've read somewhere on the HoN Forums today...

"No one in their right mind would take Geomancer over Magmus, given the choice."

And so far I'm inclined to agree. They are similar, but Magmus can take a little more harassment early game, can hide himself for a long while if need be, and his ultimate is easier to work with. He can do everything Geo can, but better.

I'm no expert, but I believe Geomancer really, really needs to be ranged. He does not benefit from being melee at all ; it's even a hindrance.

Dreavus

Guesong said:
As I've read somewhere on the HoN Forums today...

"No one in their right mind would take Geomancer over Magmus, given the choice."

And so far I'm inclined to agree. They are similar, but Magmus can take a little more harassment early game, can hide himself for a long while if need be, and his ultimate is easier to work with. He can do everything Geo can, but better.

I'm no expert, but I believe Geomancer really, really needs to be ranged. He does not benefit from being melee at all ; it's even a hindrance.

That's the thing. It's like you can stun with dig (for a measly 1.5 seconds) and throw a slow, and then you're fucked since you're in melee range with your paper health and nothing to escape with. I can see situations where he's ganking a lane like a champ... dig -- slow as they try and run, etc. but I haven't been able to get to that point.

PasteyMF

Nome said:
I'm also finding it very disheartening going to our official forums, lol. I can see why people are upset though. I'm upset too at all the problems we've been having lately. The good part is that a big part of the so-called "HoN 3.0" will be to fix and optimize a lot of problems people have.

I think way too many people in the HON community dump on it without seeing what you guys have worked on for so long and what you've accomplished. I think I'm one of the few that doesn't speak out, but I've loved HON for the past 2 years and still do. I think some of the technical issues have put people on edge lately, as the community attitude tends to focus on the negatives in general... but I'm sure you guys will get back on track.

FWIW, I read your blog and follow your twitter feed and enjoy what you do. More so as a gamer, the fact that I paid $30 for a game that I've gotten 500+ hours out of and 2 years of enjoyment is unlike anything else I've ever played in my life. So thanks for making that happen. :)

Neki

Dreavus said:
That's the thing. It's like you can stun with dig (for a measly 1.5 seconds) and throw a slow, and then you're fucked since you're in melee range with your paper health and nothing to escape with. I can see situations where he's ganking a lane like a champ... dig -- slow as they try and run, etc. but I haven't been able to get to that point.

need port key on geomancer to be useful son.

also, nome is da best. and I need more aluna alts.

bzm

k s2 really needs to get their shit together. thats 15mmr worth of wins that decided not to fucking record

edit: 60483535 nome make it happen!

IceMarker

bzm said:
k s2 really needs to get their shit together. thats 15mmr worth of wins that decided not to fucking record

edit: 60483535 nome make it happen!
There's a thread on the HoN forums for the exact purpose of recovering games.

Dahbomb

There have been times when I get DC'd from a game and I am unable to reconnect even though I am doing it within the allotted 5 min time (300 secs).

Then after a while my leaver level is updated with the game's stats (it continued without me). This happened to me twice 2 days ago and it caused my leaver level to go to a point where I can't join MMRs anymore. And this happened right before the new patch went up.

Is there anything that can be done about it or am I boned?

Swag

bzm said:
I lost to Merlini cause I had terrible teammates, didn't record. So Happy.

Styles

Dahbomb said:
There have been times when I get DC'd from a game and I am unable to reconnect even though I am doing it within the allotted 5 min time (300 secs).

Then after a while my leaver level is updated with the game's stats (it continued without me). This happened to me twice 2 days ago and it caused my leaver level to go to a point where I can't join MMRs anymore. And this happened right before the new patch went up.

Is there anything that can be done about it or am I boned?

Have you tried to re-login multiple times? This worked for me on many occasions.

Anilusion

Wow, thanks a lot Nome! The new Jeraziah skin and the Midas alt looks great btw, did you time them intentionally with the release of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? They are obviously Warhammer 40k inspired.

Dahbomb

Vect said:
Have you tried to re-login multiple times? This worked for me on many occasions.
Yes and that usually does work but it didn't that time that's why I brought it up. Usually I know why I DC'd but this was totally anomaly.

And right after the DCs the game wouldn't even let me log in for like a few hours until the patch got up.

Oh well... to the pits for me (Pub games) until I get the leaver level down.

Meeru

Banned
JHIsA.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
MrMister said:
There's a thread on the HoN forums for the exact purpose of recovering games.

It doesn't work; Ive posted in there many times in the past to no avail. You only think it works when a match lags a bit before it submits, which usually happens after the post.

Guesong

Dreavus said:

A good solution, I think, would be to give Geomancer some kind of Rock Shield buff that gives him additional armor for 5-6 seconds (or for X numbers of attack) when he emerges out of Dig (and when he himself is located in the Earth's Pulse AoE). That way he'd be way more durable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
delirium said:
unsigned 32 bit integer that was overflowed.
It's kind of scary you can recall this off the top of your head.

Guesong said:
A good solution, I think, would be to give Geomancer some kind of Rock Shield buff that gives him additional armor for 5-6 seconds (or for X numbers of attack) when he emerges out of Dig (and when he himself is located in the Earth's Pulse AoE). That way he'd be way more durable.

I think Geomancer is fine currently. Maybe just make it so he's invisible in the sandstorm or being in the sandstorm reduces his cooldown on burrow.

It's just really important to build geomancer to be tanky and to have a team that's willing to follow up with you on ganks.

Swag

PasteyMF said:
I think way too many people in the HON community dump on it without seeing what you guys have worked on for so long and what you've accomplished. I think I'm one of the few that doesn't speak out, but I've loved HON for the past 2 years and still do. I think some of the technical issues have put people on edge lately, as the community attitude tends to focus on the negatives in general... but I'm sure you guys will get back on track.
I'd imagine a lot of people on the HoN forums ( I'm guilty of it too at times ) have an extremely myopic view of HoN as a game as well as a propensity to complain about anything and everything, for example, complain about heroes coming out too slowly, then complain that heroes coming out every 2 weeks, release overpowered. However on the other hand, I'm not sure if S2 has a PR manager, if they do, they need to get a better one. Lots of the angst and hatred could've been alleviated with simple messages from the company on the forums, example when Coin-Gate occurred, a forum post stating that the current monetisation setup for the shop was un maintainable over a longer period of time because of the amount of content they want to release. I don't think I've ever seen a companies name be used as a verb to describe when bad things happen "S2'd".

Imagine if instead of advertising for the BeatIT tourney they threw out a message apologising for the MM downtime.
Sorry Gdeciever your response supported my argument too well

Guesong said:
To be honest at our level of play, how you play the game, as in your execution / effectiveness throughout the match, matters a lot more then what heroes you end up picking, although I think the explosion time on Geomancer's ult could be reduced but making it so that the enemy team can't see it before it explodes would be stupidly good. At the moment his ultimate feels a bit like Bombardier's ultimate before they reduced the delay on it, extremely hard to hit but extremely rewarding? When me and BZM played against a TDL / Geomancer team, he had nearly 100% hit rate on his ults because we weren't able to gauge which direction it was leading towards.

I'd still be upset if someone picked Geo over Magmus though

People complain about everything. With the Internet it's become even easier to complain.

But I agree some better PR would help. From the DDOS attacks to the shop to F2P conversion to Duke Nukum announcer pack to Lucksmith, just let people know instead of trying to sweep things under the rug. Information disseminates so fast nowadays that you have to pre-empt these things before things turn ugly.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Freakinchair said:
I think Geomancer is fine currently. Maybe just make it so he's invisible in the sandstorm or being in the sandstorm reduces his cooldown on burrow.

It's just really important to build geomancer to be tanky and to have a team that's willing to follow up with you on ganks.

His ult is straight up awful. Like alumnus said once; I think the ult should be invisible to enemies until it pops, kind of like deadwood's root or pitfall.

Haly

It would be nice if the ult had some kind of additional effect, since it's so fucking obvious.

Nome your blog is so awesome.

Kaper

Anbokr said:
His ult is straight up awful. Like alumnus said once; I think the ult should be invisible to enemies until it pops, kind of like deadwood's root or pitfall.

My feelings exactly. I, too, EA'd geo, but was a bit disappointed in that he felt like magmus, except worse.

Neki

Anbokr said:
need dat port key.

Haly

Ultimoo said:
need dat port key.
Is his ult centered on himself?

Because if it is S2 could always make it a delayed spell. So he can cast it, then blink at the last second to maximize it's effectiveness.

Top Bottom