• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Swag

Notice the deaths on SR / Flint, worst players on their team, 11 deaths together, puppetyuber busy feeding on them, while we handle SB and Hellbringer. Puppetyuber tries to kill SB at 600 hp, fails with a level 5 codex and para burst skills.

Mad Cause Bad?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It seems like the salt mines have really increased their daily yield.

Swag

Why not post SS of us carrying your Rampage after getting dumpstered mid by a player 100 under your MMR
KuGsj.gif

Can't get more then 3 kills on a team with 4 squishies, level advantage Rampage? Almost same stats as the pub Ophelia, not even in his top 5 played.

Sanjay

PuppetYuber said:
Midas is super imbalance, huge nerf incoming next month 100%.

Unless S2 hires Sanjay.

I guess If they do nerf him its going to be mana/cool down related.

Ultimoo said:
get a sheep stick and he can almost 1v1 anyone without a bkb.

Any hero with a sheep stick can 1v1 anyone without a bkb.

I don't see Midas as anything else then being strong early mid game. Once you hit that barrier of 1k plus of hp with magic armour Midas can no longer gank you 1v1 and is forced to either take the farm away from the carry or farm him self to get support items for the carry which I see his role as being.

Would like to see what type of role the competitive players use him as, I'm guessing very similar to Bombardier type role where he farms mega easy due to his skill and gets support items.

Sebulon3k said:
Why not post SS of us carrying your Rampage after getting dumpstered mid by a player 100 under your MMR
KuGsj.gif

Can't get more then 3 kills on a team with 4 squishies, level advantage Rampage? Almost same stats as the pub Ophelia, not even in his top 5 played.
Those are some Sanjay-esque creep denies.

You left out the part where I was 5 man ganked at lvl 1 that game, and the part where you left Loki died to a lvl 1 DS because you were afk.

Swag

PuppetYuber said:
You left out the part where I was 5 man ganked at lvl 1 that game, and the part where you left Loki died to a lvl 1 DS because you were afk.
I also left out the part where you called mid instead of Hag mid, then fed and QQ after level 1 gank?

Rapstah

I feel like starting to play this at least until DOTA 2 comes out. Wish me luck. I have no idea what it is except I played one awful round of DOTA once and I saw someone play this in a lacture once (lazy bastard). Obviously the basic concept of two bases and heroes is there too.

kagete

ReconYoda said:
I wanna play with Gaf...I went from 1500 mmr, to 500 mmr, now I'm back to 1400. I need you guys to make me better.

Do you get on the GAF mumble server? Even if you don't have a mic, you can at least hear everyone else better than the ingame voicechat.

Most of us play some TMMs until the early evening (US time) when we have enough people to play IHs on. I don't recommend that you join inhouse games until you have mumble though, since it will be harder for you to steel or defend yourself otherwise if you're the only person out of 10 that's not hearing what people are saying. Will it actually make you better? That's debatable, but we can certainly try giving you some tips here and there.

IH games are a mix of high-level play, low-level trolling, and big throws. Don't let one bad game get to you and make sure you play or spec the next one. We try to balance teams the best we can but people are always improving and new players are joining in all the time so sometimes it goes awry. If you're new just tell us at the start, and we will try to adjust accordingly.

Neki

ReconYoda said:
I wanna play with Gaf...I went from 1500 mmr, to 500 mmr, now I'm back to 1400. I need you guys to make me better.
don't play with me or I'm going to RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE though.

swag and puppet gonna swag and puppet basically. you guys are like a married couple.

IH games are a mix of high-level play, low-level trolling, and big throws. Don't let one bad game get to you and make sure you play or spec the next one. We try to balance teams the best we can but people are always improving and new players are joining in all the time so sometimes it goes awry. If you're new just tell us at the start, and we will try to adjust accordingly

mostly big throws, LOL.

TUSR

Banned
Lowest MMR possible is 750.

INTERESTING

kagete said:
IH games are a mix of high-level play, low-level trolling, and big throws. Don't let one bad game get to you and make sure you play or spec the next one. We try to balance teams the best we can but people are always improving and new players are joining in all the time so sometimes it goes awry. If you're new just tell us at the start, and we will try to adjust accordingly.

Someone needs to convince people Im not actually any good so I can continue experimenting with heroes.

Also, there are a few people who intentionally throw games. You have been warned.

TUSR

Banned
PuppetYuber said:
No one said you were good, get over yourself.
Exactly what I just said. Don't use me to "balance teams"

Why so hostile?

NukeDukem said:
I need to drag my smurf account into the 750 mmr range. I wonder what the quickest way to accomplish that is?

On an unrelated note, the HoN forums have the best trolls.

Play with people that DC every game.

Squire Felix said:
Exactly what I just said. Don't use me to "balance teams"

Why so hostile?

Play with people that DC every game.
Don't mind PuppetYuber, he has that rare disease where his salt levels are always at the maximum.

he mad cause he bad

Rapstah

I just played my first game of HoN ever and it was fucking awful based entirely on the players I played with. It seemed like everyone was assuming you to be amazing at the game even with a new account (1500 of that rating, everyone was pretty much within 10 of that). I got yelled at and called a feeder and played pretty much last in every category. The actual game seemed decent enough with the exception of feeling like I wanted to zoom out more than I could - that might be a balance thing though since you can't be allowed to see too much.

Swag

Rapstah said:
I just played my first game of HoN ever and it was fucking awful based entirely on the players I played with. It seemed like everyone was assuming you to be amazing at the game even with a new account (1500 of that rating, everyone was pretty much within 10 of that). I got yelled at and called a feeder and played pretty much last in every category. The actual game seemed decent enough with the exception of feeling like I wanted to zoom out more than I could - that might be a balance thing though since you can't be allowed to see too much.
Play with GAF. Don't play with randoms or you will get this same response all the time. Either that or just ignore EVERYTHING anyone has to say that's not positive. I mean EVERYTHING

Rapstah said:
As far as other random players are concerned, they could be a thousand times worse than you and still call you a terrible feeder noob. Try to not let it get to you. I think all of the players are put down by someone at some point in time and just jump on the chance to dish hate back at someone else. If you want a better experience with teammates, try to stick to playing with GAF.

NukeDukem

Banned
Here's how you play with pubs:

1. Mute everyone
2. Ignore your team
3. Kill the enemy team
4. If your team has a plan, see step 2
5. If your team has a plan of attack that is actually smart/working, see step 3.
6. Ignore your team
7.????
8.PROFIT!

Recon

Banned
Squire Felix said:
Lowest MMR possible is 750.

INTERESTING

Someone needs to convince people Im not actually any good so I can continue experimenting with heroes.

Also, there are a few people who intentionally throw games. You have been warned.

Lowest possible MMR is 750? Because i definitely was a lot lower than that, and ive seen players a lot lower than me.

TUSR

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Lowest possible MMR is 750? Because i definitely was a lot lower than that, and ive seen players a lot lower than me.
August 26th
Heroes of Newerth 2.1.6 Patch Notes
- Adjusted how the PSR/MMR calculations work slightly and put a low end cap of 750 PSR/MMR
* Any players who are below this value will have their PSR/MMR adjusted up to 750 after the patch

Unless you are talking about before the 26th.

TUSR

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Wayyy before. I got down to 500 around May. I have been above 1000 since august.
I couldn't exactly remember when that patch was implemented, 26th of Aug wasn't too long ago.

Good job on the improvement.

Swag

I think that we should take this period of stat downtime to discuss some of the problems in IHL Season 1 and the improvement we can make for IHL season 2. It seemed like one of the biggest criticisms of last seasons was the method that teams were arranged, having fixed teams limited the number of times people were able to play unless they had ringers due to member inactivity etc. Some suggestions to fix this have been;

1. Have a bot that will automatically create teams based on PSR values for the current IH season.

So this will pretty much create teams, from people in a lobby based on their PSR, but only based on PSR from the games that have been played once the season begins, pretty much everyone will start at 1500. Problem with this method is someone will have to write the bot, and I don't think anyone has volunteered for this yet.

2. Have a captain system.

3-4 members are chosen to "captain" a team, members of the team are chosen middle school dodgeball style. One problem with this is that the better players will always be chosen to play and some of the newer players will often be spectating.

3. Current IH method

Delirium has created an IH ladder app for us to use to track stats. We would pretty much continue as usual under our current IH method but there would be IHL games and just for fun IH games, games would be distinguished in the lobby. One problem already brought up with this method however was the better players would naturally gain the most IHR ( In House Rating ) because they would have higher win%, the newer players wouldn't have much incentive to continue playing if this was the case. I am not exactly sure of any method to avoid this outcome though.

Who Wins?
Assuming we go with the same reward as last season ( If Nome is kind enough to sponsor us again ) how will we reward all participants for their efforts if we don't reward teams as whole, again by having an IHR stat be the determinant for who wins it excludes the possibility for newer players to be at the top. Possibility of separating people into brackets such as "New People" and "Experienced" to make things a bit fairer?

Anyway I open up discussion to you guys, this will also help alleviate the burden being on a single person to organize everything like last season.

You did a GJ Pro

Also thanks again Nome for sponsoring us last season, Lawful Good Indeed!

I might be the only one, but I liked having arranged teams, and thought it was one of the better aspects of the IHL.

The part that I really thought was lacking was the organization, there were no set times, and none of the captains bothered to coordinate. I'd say that the real problem with the IHL was its lack of structure. Here's why; you have a gaffer who wants to play an IHL game, but how does he go about doing that? During the last IHL his only method was logging in and hoping that nine other people(which included 2 of the 3 captains) were just randomly online.

My suggestions for the next IHL are; select better captains(meeru was terrible, oceanic was eeeh), have set IHL days where teams will play against each other(on top of just random games that randomly start.), have two different pools of players: those who will be able to participate often and those who cant, make the ones who cant be 'free players' that can sub for any team.

In regards to captains we'd have to do a better job of picking captains; Kag was great, Meeru was awful, and Oceanic was rarely around.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
PillowKnight said:
I might be the only one, but I liked having arranged teams, and thought it was one of the better aspects of the IHL.

The part that I really thought was lacking was the organization, there were no set times, and none of the captains bothered to coordinate. I'd say that the real problem with the IHL was its lack of structure. Here's why; you have a gaffer who wants to play an IHL game, but how does he go about doing that? During the last IHL his only method was logging in and hoping that nine other people(which included 2 of the 3 captains) were just randomly online.

My suggestions for the next IHL are; select better captains(meeru was terrible, oceanic was eeeh), have set IHL days where teams will play against each other(on top of just random games that start.), have two different pools of players: those who will be able to participate often and those who cant, make the ones who cant be 'free players' that can sub for any team.

In regards to captains we'd have to do a better job of picking captains; Kag was great, Meeru was awful, and Oceanic was rarely around.

I also really liked the team-based structure of season 1; it adds a fun rivalry aspect to IHL games and differentiates them from IH games. I think regular IH games can be more individual-centric, but it's just more fun when you have a set team for a period of time (given of course, that you have an active team). Like pillow said, I think we just need more active captains. Kag did a great job, but to be fair, the other two captains didn't choose themselves.

nara

Banned
arranged teams were fun, just really hard to get all members at a certain time to show up.

IHL during DotA days implemented a captain, leader, member hierarchy that worked fairly well.

Captain: Can challenge other captains for team matches (more serious games), can start games where 9 players sign (less serious games)
Leader: Can start games where 9 players sign (less serious games)

I believe select members should be leaders, then maybe decide who should be captain after couple games

Guesong

Sebulon3k said:
Who Wins?
Assuming we go with the same reward as last season ( If Nome is kind enough to sponsor us again ) how will we reward all participants for their efforts if we don't reward teams as whole, again by having an IHR stat be the determinant for who wins it excludes the possibility for newer players to be at the top. Possibility of separating people into brackets such as "New People" and "Experienced" to make things a bit fairer?

Or have a pool of newer, less experienced players (Guesong, dorkimoe, tomat, crackbabyjr and whoever else is new/less experienced), and teams should have at least one (and a maximum of one) of those players in their line-up.

Cause I don't believe we have enough newer less experienced players to form 2 teams of them, let alone a league. Now I know that in a IHL where a prize is on the line, having a newer player on the team might be source to an extreme frustration at any given moment, but if you want to try and include HoNGaf as a whole, not much you can do about it, I believe.

Neki

Guesong said:
Or have a pool of newer, less experienced players (Guesong, dorkimoe, tomat, crackbabyjr and whoever else is new/less experienced), and teams should have at least one (and a maximum of one) of those players in their line-up.

Cause I don't believe we have enough newer less experienced players to form 2 teams of them, let alone a league. Now I know that in a IHL where a prize is on the line, having a newer player on the team might be source to an extreme frustration at any given moment, but if you want to try and include HoNGaf as a whole, not much you can do about it, I believe.

how do you determine who to put on the newb list?

Guesong

Sebulon3k said:
The new guys? I think its pretty obvious

I believe Neki is asking at what point do a new guy stop being a new guy, though.

That is not for me to decide ; I'm sure HoNGaf can reach a consensus. 3 months? 6 months? Or just go with general in-game performance?

Swag

Guesong said:
That is not for me to decide ; I'm sure HoNGaf can reach a consensus. 3 months? 6 months? Or just go with general in-game performance?
In game performance, but for the purpose of this IHL season, I think that once you get put in your respective tier your in that tier for the entirety of the season.

Recon

Banned
I would like to sign up for a gaf IHL. I have played over 600 games of MM, so i dont know if i would be qualified as a newb.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hopefully, new players will play with us so we can get a general idea of their skill level. For example, Moody played a little HoN in beta and came back during the $10 sale. I would comfortably put him into the "experienced players" section, despite being technically new.

bzm

i like the captains drafting on the spot dodgeball style
This way its like, bam dont have to be forced to play with anbokr

Kapura

Banned
I think for the next season of GAF IH we should do something like those High Level leagues with an IRC bot, then use a bastardised PSR system to rank the players (some of PSRs, compute the +/- based on relative scores and distance from average) then reward the top 10 or 15 players.

On a related note, I'm in for next season. Should have my computer good to go by this weekend.

Swag

So the system I was suggesting for those that weren't in mumble was;

Part A

Have players separated into different tiers, Experienced (1800+), Average (1600-1799), New (Under 1600), we can use our own discretion to assign players if they don't play to their MMR, but I think that those numbers reflect ability pretty well. The purpose of the tiers is to avoid;

A. Team Stacking, considering the competitive nature of HoN GAF I think even if people aren't ill willed the possibility of having teams stacked with Experienced players may still happen, so putting restrictions on the team make up will allow for more balanced games. As well as making sure that new players aren't looked over during the drafting. Example:

1-2 Experienced Players Max
1-3 Average Players Max
1-2 New Players Required

Of course we can adjust appropriately if there aren't enough of each tier available but judging from the In House games played in the past 5 weeks, there are usually an abundance of members from each individual tier available for IH games. This also allows us to dynamically add any new people that feel like participating without having to worry about teams having more available then others etc.

B. This will alleviate the problem of how to reward people that will probably have no chance of being at the top of the ladder ( no offense to new players but your IHR will probably not be close to the more experienced players ), we can have the rewards be competitive within the 3 tiers, incentivising people to play because they are competing against people of the same skill level.

Part B

Puppetyuber's drafting method I think is the best, however I have a few suggestions to make it a little more fluid. Drafting definitely provides the best solution to having the most number of games played, with the least amount of pre arrangement required. However I don't think having people assigned as captains is really a necessity, instead I believe just picking the 2 highest skilled / rated players currently online to perform a draft would be the most beneficial, in order to avoid rare situations where no captain is currently online but there is interest for an IHl game, this also removes the possibility of the 2 best players somehow ending up on the same team.

In terms of length of this season, I think if we start from beginning of October and end in Early December we would have had a long enough season before we need to make any revisions, also we will give College Hon-Gaf enough fun for the semester as well as ending early enough for people to study for finals etc.

Any thoughts / Criticisms of this setup?

Guesong

Just for general information, what was the game type in Season 1? All Pick? Draft?

If it was AP, I think we should step away from that.

Kapura

Banned
RD best gametype ccccccya
I agree with the concept of a tiering system, but I have a feeling that people might lie about their tier in order to play more frequently. If we went with a modified psr system with standard +/- variations per match, though, we could start people at different PSRs and then measure progress by movement from start. We could start people at 1400, 1500, and 1600. A person who went from 1400 to 1515 would rank higher than a player who went from 1600 to 1680

Swag

Kapura said:
RD best gametype ccccccya
I agree with the concept of a tiering system, but I have a feeling that people might lie about their tier in order to play more frequently.
I think we've had enough experience with people by now to know what tier they belong in, so lying about their MMR / PSR which we can check would give them nothing. I'd like to avoid changing people from tiers because putting someone in a tier they don't belong in would be unfair to them.

For example, Puppetyuber trying to say he belongs in the average tier ( which he does ), would obviously bring up objections because everyone knows he is experienced.

Top Bottom